January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to all of our new joiners!

I have just finished day 7 .....

Have a question for those of you that are more familiar with the W30 than I (this is my first)

Went out to eat with my family today ~ Chili's ~ so, I made the best choice based on the menu....chicken fajitas. I ate the chicken, onions, peppers, pico de gallo and guacamole. I did NOT the tortillas or any of the chips and salsa. Water was my beverage.

I have just now found (via an internet search) that Chilis uses vegegable oil and am not sure of the exact ingred. in the guacemole...Im sure there were preservatives.

My question is this ~ this was a non-compliant meal because of the oils and the preservatives. Do you count this as a non-compliant meal and start at day 1 again?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks all.

Best

Cheryl

Reading like mad and making a shopping list for tomorrow.  I plan to start Monday with all of you.  I am so ready to feel better!  My biggest challenge will be that I do not like many vegetables.  I'm going to try some new ones, but boredom could happen.  My husband will not be doing the challenge with me - at least not totally....he'll eat whatever I cook!  Excited to start this journey!

Hello, please count me among the 1/6 starters. I'll be 45 in a few wks. I'm a FT hs teacher with 2 kids (12 & 8) with all of the requisite minivan schlepping that entails. Also directing the hs musical, cub scout leader, etc., etc... It's like 9pm when I sit down most nights.

Exercise: Has disappeared. Used to jog (slow as molasses, but I could do 5k). Would love to get back to that.

Goals: Primary goals-reset my nutrition, drop a few lbs., break carb addiction; Secondary-feel less bloaty, tired, sleep better, etc...

Roadblock: Time. I have very little time to "cook." My go-to on busy nights is pasta with butter & cheese or pierogies & some broccoli.

My plan: After lots of reading here, I figure my best bet is to be sure meals are planned out and that I do as much weekend cooking as I can. Yikes...! I experimented with paleo for about 2 wks this summer and my takeaway from that was I now drink my coffee black, woo hoo.

Thanks in advance for all your expertise.

Hi all! I'm planning on starting my second Whole30 on Sunday the 5th. Finished one last year in July, and fell into bad habits, but am looking forward to starting out the year with better food choices. I've stocked the fridge with root veggies that will last through next week (went to an awesome market in Atlanta that I can't get to very often but that has an amazing selection of produce), and will make a run on Sunday for filler veggies.

About me: 32, married but my husband is living in another state for work so I live alone with 2 cats, work as editorial assistant for a medical journal. 

I challenged my husband to pick a strange veggie at the market today, and he chose a daikon radish. Anyone used one of these before? I'm thinking of making fritters with it. (I chose artichokes because I've never cooked them before.)

I have just now found (via an internet search) that Chilis uses vegegable oil and am not sure of the exact ingred. in the guacemole...Im sure there were preservatives.

Cheryl -

We'll need a moderator (or one of the other members) to chime in to call the balls and strikes on this one.  Eating out is tricky.  It's not like you tangled with a bottle of Pinot and a block of cheese.  My sense is you move forward full steam ahead without a restart.  But you'll have to make that call.

Regarding the oil, I do seem to recall reading that Whole 30 will let canola oil slide if it occasionally slips into a restaurant meal -- otherwise, eating out would be extremely difficult.

Thanks for sharing the good reminder to the larger group as we get started in a few days -- if we aren't 100% sure what we are eating, take a step back and evaluate.

Great to feel the energy developing in this group.   Welcome to Wildcatmama, Enviedecafe, and bamawhitney!

Welcome to all of our new joiners!

I have just finished day 7 .....

Have a question for those of you that are more familiar with the W30 than I (this is my first)

Went out to eat with my family today ~ Chili's ~ so, I made the best choice based on the menu....chicken fajitas. I ate the chicken, onions, peppers, pico de gallo and guacamole. I did NOT the tortillas or any of the chips and salsa. Water was my beverage.

My question is this ~ this was a non-compliant meal because of the oils and the preservatives. Do you count this as a non-compliant meal and start at day 1 again?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks all.

Best

Cheryl

I just downloaded the allergen menu from Chili's website. The chicken fajitas are not listed on their gluten-free or soy-free menu, so for those reasons, I would assume there was gluten and soy in what you ate and would restart.

Thanks for the input GFChris.

There you go Team J6.

So remember when you order out, "I'll have a piece of chicken, hold the soy, gluten, dairy and sugar.  And an avocado, hold the soy, gluten, dairy and sugar.  And a bunch of veggies, hold the soy, gluten, dairy and sugar "  :)

Wow, those sneaky fajitas! That sucks. Cheryl, I feel for you. It is so difficult to eat out. I usually ask for gluten and milk (protein, not lactose) everywhere. If they think lactose is the problem you might end up with just a lactose free option. We have tons of those in Sweden at least.

I have had daikon radish. It was during my firts attempt at whole30 in july, acctually. I made match sticks out of it and served it as a sallad. it was quite spicy and my kids didn't like it. I figured out that all the peppery-ness is in the peel, so peeling it with a potato peeler is an option. I also made fries with it and they were good. It was not starchy though, so more like a roasted vegetable than a sweetpotato.

For me, I am still going strong and today is day 7.

From today's Daily email:

Aviod these 5 common errors:

#5. Natures candy: Using the natural sugars found in fruit to satisy your sugar cravings is a recipe for more cravings and maybe too much sugar.

My first thought was "THIS is me. This is what I need to work on."

But I also have doubts. I am doing this to be healthy. I don't need to lose weight. I BF my youngest daughter, and I hate running on dead legs. So how do I know if I am eating too much sugar? How much is too much, and how much is just responding to my needs? I have no interest in going ketogenic. I love eggs, but there is a limit to how many I can eat and still love them.

I think for me it boils down to this:

Desperately going through our kitchen drawers looking for dried mulberries, dried mango and walnuts while really craving chocolate, ice cream or cookies = not ok.

Eating sweetpotato or other starches at every meal because I hate acetone breath and leg cramps (yes, I already take magnesium)  = ok

I also feel like having a fruit at the end of a meal 1-2 per day is ok. It is the frantic scurrying around looking for sugar that needs to stop.

Ahhh, I will meditate over that today.

PS The daily emails are the bomb. If anyone reads this and are hesitant - get them, they do make a difference!

Jennor,

Thanks for the kind words!  Yup, I've got some practice at least!!! 

I also have to say that the emails are REALLY helping me too and the note about using the fruits for your "sweets' fix is one of my areas that I need to work on...I also want to "snack" a lot....I am absolutely NOT hungry so this is a very bad habit.  I have used compliant foods for my snacks but it is still the very bad habit.

I have some herbal teas that I have taken out from the cupboard and set on the counter ~ that is what I will have this afternoon between lunch and dinner.

I do still have 15 pounds to take off so these 2 points for me are key. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!  We are getting another 10 to 16 inches of snow here in upstate NY so Im going to be doing some shoveling...but I do have to get my parents to the airport today as they head back to Florida.  Its going to be a long, slow and messy drive. 

Be well!

Cheryl

Hello Robert and Greek

I have been "lurking" on these forums for the past couple of months and have signed on to the Jan 6 start of Whole 30.  My husband and I are "Primal" so my struggle will be with the dairy (cream in my coffee and the occasional pieces of cheese).  I also bake paleo treats and will be stopping that very shortly...

I am battling my last 20 pounds (I've lost approximately 60 pounds over the last 3 years ~ the majority was taken off in the first 2 years.)....I feel AMAZING with the primal eating and I do consistently exercise.  Just need to fine tune things a bit.

Have to say that after reading about your success in October/November is what moved me to make this commitment.  I look forward to our New Year's journey :)

My best

C

I've been Paleo since January 2013 and really enjoy the food - but like you, enjoy a bit of dairy. I think that will be my biggest struggle, a piece of cheese has always been my snack standby! I'm not starting my Whole30 until 13th January due to commitments but will be watching with interest!

Glennith

Just wanted to join the fun and say hello!  This is my first *real* whole 30 (last january I did a whole 30 lite, which, while incredibly helpful--it kicked off a good five months of really clean eating and my first real foray into Paleo--didn't quite take in the long term), and I am both really excited and a little bit nervous.  In the past six months, I've moved halfway across the country, far away from family and friends, and started a new job. All of the changes have brought with them a lot of stress and some not-very-good-habits:  regular ice cream consumption and not-so-regular exercise.  I've also taken to having a glass of wine every night with my husband, and I am really going to miss that.  But for me this is a much about getting my head straight and learning better ways of managing my stress as it is not having to strain the button of my jeans, so I am ready to jump in.  Even if that means locking up the vino (sob).

Looking forward to joining such a supportive group!  Also jennor and Chess 0727, thanks for the info re. the daily emails.  I was definitely waffling, but am now going to sign up.

Hi everyone! My husband and are also starting January 6th! Can't speak for him but I am a bit excited and a bit terrified I'm a stay at home mum & he's working full time, so most of the cooking will fall to me but we both feel the need to make some healthy changes so it's all good! I'm a serial dieter so the idea of changing my relationship with food & not counting calories and being healthy and balanced is extremely attractive!! We have 2 kids (8 & 4) so we need to be a better example for them. We used to be....don't quite know what's happened in the last 6 months to change that but obviously a reset is in order.

So happy that all of you guys are starting at the same time There is a definite comfort in knowing that there are others out there working at the same thing!! Sorry in advance for any dumb questions! We're both new to this! We've signed up for the daily emails too, though, so between that and reading your experiences, hopefully we'll work it out as we go along!

It's really inspiring to hear that so many of you are coming back to do it again and that it was so successful for you the last time! Can't wait to get started, good luck everyone

Hey, y'all!  I'm Beckie & I am GOING to finish this Whole 30.  I attempted one in Sept & did so well I treated myself to a margarita one night (it was a norcal margarita, at least!) with my friend one night who was having a crummy evening about day 23.  So I know I can do this.  I've even recruited my absolute most picky eating bestie to join with me.  Oh, Ashley!  Where are you??  Speak up woman!

Can't wait to start with you all on 1/6.

Hi! I am starting my first Whole30 on January 6th with y'all. I am the unhealthiest eater on the face of the planet. Meaning I eat pretty much only junk and no veggies AND I drink 3-4 regular sodas a day. Like I said the WORST eater ever! I know I need to make a radical change, but am super nervous. My BFF, Beckie, told me about Whole30. Since then I have read It Starts with Food, found tons of recipes, read all kinds of research material online, and made a food plan for the first 7 days. I feel prepared, but can I actually do it??? Fingers crossed!!!

Best of luck to everyone!!

Hi! I am starting my first Whole30 on January 6th with y'all. I am the unhealthiest eater on the face of the planet. Meaning I eat pretty much only junk and no veggies AND I drink 3-4 regular sodas a day. Like I said the WORST eater ever! I know I need to make a radical change, but am super nervous. My BFF, Beckie, told me about Whole30. Since then I have read It Starts with Food, found tons of recipes, read all kinds of research material online, and made a food plan for the first 7 days. I feel prepared, but can I actually do it??? Fingers crossed!!!

Best of luck to everyone!!

You can do it!  Especially since if we MUST meet for lunch we can eat at Chipotle (we'll talk!) instead of Corner Bakery :D

Welcome Tazschick, Beckie, Ashley and Trigirl!  Beckie - you raise an important point.  It is important to plan what you will eat and be well-stocked throughout Whole 30.  It is also important to have a plan for keeping your emotions in check.

We will all experience those moments during W30 that could result in a derail.  A Whole 30 hit and run.  Your office-mates show up at your desk singing Happy Birthday with a box full of cupcakes.  Your spouse whisks you off to dinner to celebrate a promotion.  Your friend calls to share that he/she just got engaged and needs to meet at the pub right now to celebrate and talk things over.  Your superhero spouse or friend who talked you into doing Whole 30 declares, "I'm out" while downing an entire box of cookies and pint of milk before your eyes.

Expect the unexpected.  Think about the last 30 days.  Can any of us say that absolutely nothing whatsoever, good or bad, exciting or dreadful, occurred in our lives?  Be prepared for these unexpected "life happens" moments.

Guaranteed there will be some funny (and not so funny) stories shared on this forum once Team J6 gets rolling full force on ... Monday! 

Archived