January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Attention early starters (CrazyCow, Jennor, Cheryl, Bamawhitney, lyndyjo ...)!

Your reinforcements have arrived -- Australia, New Zealand and Europe have initiated Day 1 (I'm not sure if we have anyone playing along from Asia, Africa or Antarctica).  The Americas will join the party at the stroke of midnight in less than 9 hours!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness! A morning at the grocery store and and afternoon of kitchen rearrangement and prep! I purchased Well-Fed ( book 1 and 2!) which has already paid for itself in awesome for tips real-world meal planning-- I highly recommend it. Looking forward to tomorrow morning!

I am right here with you all! Did whole45 in September, loved it and felt great! But then fell off hard and am paying for it! I signed up for a half marathon in May and as of right now can just barely have enough energy to take care of the family.

I recommend the Well Fed cookbooks. They are incredible, I use them almost everyday, even when I'm not doing whole30. My kids love the recipes also! The emails are really helpful! I plan on signing up for them again. You have to account for yourself at the end of the day and I was determined not to push the "fail, start over" button!

Go us! We are all worth the effort to have a happier, feeling better life!

Ok gang... Food  prepped and read to go. 

Did the final eve head count of people who have joined this forum before we kick off and the dates when they'll begin.  65 people with 9 of you starting on alternate dates: 

Looking forward to hearing how things go for you all!

I overcame two challenges today and I haven't even technically started the Whole 30 yet.  My mother invited me to celebrate her birthday mid-month at an ice cream parlor.  Told her I couldn't go with her for at least 30 days (hopefully she'll forget and I'll have dodged the bullet for good!!)   Also went with my husband and granddaughter to get frozen yogurt, I enjoyed a larabar and bottle of water while they chomped down on their frozen treat.  It would have been so easy to join in since I technically start tomorrow but thought I'd give the will power a try and it worked!  YAY!!  As you can see FAMILY is going to be my biggest challenge.  

It's after 7:00 pm Sunday here on the West Coast with Monday rapidly approaching and I'm READY!

Here's to a successful day one!  Good luck Everybody!!

Well it's 9:30 in TX now and the nerves are setting in. Tomorrow will be Day 1 for most of us. I've prepped and have everything planned for a few a few days. I packed my lunch for tomorrow and feel ready, yet anxious. Day 1 of no soda to start the morning seems to keep replaying in my head.

Good luck to all those starting soon and Congrats to those who made it through Day1!

Hello to all. My name is Robert Ramsbottom and my wife Kelsey and I are about to begin this journey on Jan 6. We are adventourous with food but lack the knowledge in the kitchen. Kelsey is also type 1 diabetic and is excited/nervous for this journey. We are ready to change our lives and hopefully meet some kind people on the way

Robert and Kelsey Ramsbottom

Flat tire in the snow=not the calm, zen, organized and perfect pre-Whole 30 prep day I was imagining, but maybe that's a good thing, nothing is ever ideal, right?

Potsticker burgers, zucchini bake, butternut squash bake and some spinach that was about to go bad now cooling in the fridge, dishes (SO MANY DISHES) done, eggs boiling, lid to the coconut aminos mysteriously missing, but other than that minor setback feeling much more under control now.  Doing some proactive restaurant research tonight, I just got a new job and the calls to celebrate may not be avoidable, and thinking hard about potential obstacles (non participating roommate, boyfriend, overly nearby office candy bowl, bagel Thursday, the coworker who wants to mourn my leaving and the friends who want to celebrate my new opportunity) and how to anticipate, avoid, beat the stuffing (mmm...stuffing, wait...NO) out of them.  If you've got pointers I'd love to hear them.

Only a few hrs to go!!!

Hey, @relampago! I'm making chocolate chilli tonight! Never tried it before but it looks yummy! Hopefully telling her it's chocolate will help my 4yo eat it ;)

So far so good! Had an egg & veggie omelette for brekkie, chicken & broccoli salad for lunch and will have chocolate chilli with cauli rice for dinner! Quite enjoyed the coconut milk in my coffee! And it helped boost the meals fat content! You get so used to cooking low fat, making a switch to include a relatively large amount is challenging! Didn't expect to have a worry with that!

In prepping today for tomorrow's big start it dawned on me why Whole 30 helps people sleep so well--y'all are so darn tired from cooking so many hours on Sunday, sheesh!

I'm as ready as ever though, made a frittata for a few days' bfast; cooked (first time!) spaghetti squash and simmered a lovely "Well Fed" spaghetti sauce.

Good luck to us!

I will be starting my Whole30 tomorrow with the rest of you.  Really looking forward to it  I have been trying to eat paleo for the last month or to but during Christmas fell off the wagon.  This will get me back on schedule.  I am training for a Spartan Race in June and need to lose a little weight and gain some more energy.  Glad that there is so many of you all in this group to help each other.  I will be doing this alone.  My wife and kids don't want to join, so it will be good to have others to help me make it through this.  Good luck everyone.

@kysanne 

I just got a new job and the calls to celebrate may not be avoidable, and thinking hard about potential obstacles (non participating roommate, boyfriend, overly nearby office candy bowl, bagel Thursday, the coworker who wants to mourn my leaving and the friends who want to celebrate my new opportunity) and how to anticipate, avoid, beat the stuffing (mmm...stuffing, wait...NO) out of them.  If you've got pointers I'd love to hear them.

Calls to celebrate/mourn: Book the Date.  Fill your dance card post Whole 30.  Them:  "We need to celebrate/mourn!"  You:  "Yes, let me get settled in.  What are you doing February __!?"

Candy bowl:  Laugh.  Take pictures of it and post it here.

Bagel Thursday:  Deception/Decoy.  Avoid the quarreling co-worker, "You've got to have a bagel!"  Always have a messy plate with bagel crumbs and a smear of cream cheese in your hand and exclaim, "Darn, if I eat one more bagel I am going to throw up." 

Roommate/boyfriend:  Nerves of Steel.  I hope they will be supportive.  But regardless what they do, you stay the course.  You/we have a safety net of almost 100 fellow Whole 30ers.

@Everyone -- best wishes to you all.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experience on Day 1.  

Be strong.

3, 2, 1 GO!

@CpTChucky - Always good too see a bit more testosterone joining Team J6.  :)  I am also going it solo sans family.  My wife eats a pretty clean plate and I don't have the strength to cut our 2 and 4 year old kids off ice cream, pizza and mac n' cheese (right now).

Alright Friends, we have arrived!!! 

Whose ready to experience some magic! I just came off of 90 days eating whole30 (i have extreme allergies so it's just easier) I did go a little hog wild the last 24 hours... I even had some wine! haha, So as I grocery shopped and prepped my meals for the week today, I couldn't have been more excited to get rid of the symptoms i'm feeling from my minor food off roading that causes extreme reactions. 

I know a lot of us are on the resolution train but I challenge you (on top of greek's challenge) to think of this more than a diet. Find your true reason behind why you are wanting to do this, then keep asking why. I use this method in a lot of areas in my life. I'm constantly checking the foundation of my life. If i keep asking myself why I do the things I do and have an honest conversation with myself, I can ensure i'm holding my integrity, boundaries and self-respect, that I see fit for myself and my life. 

We are all worth the love and respect we are about to pour into our bodies, minds and spirits. Why can't this be something that we do as long as we live?

Just a thought ;)  

Good luck to every single of you, I can't wait to get to know you all over the next couple of weeks!

Hi! I'm starting whole30 tomorrow, with the rest of team j6. I'm looking forward to feeling healthy in thirty days, but a little concerned about the next 4 weeks. I don't have a great trac record with this kind of stuff. However, I typically eat gluten free and I've known for a couple of months that the sugar and all grains in my diet must go.

The support of the forums will be key to my success, although a local ill friend is also starting tomorrow. Reading through the positive experiences others have had has been helpful. Heres to kicking off the new year by taking care of myself.

@Flickik the only way I made it through my first 30 days was by leaning on the people within the forum, I even slipped within the first 10 days and was just honest about it. Everyone came back with love and support. You can do this, we'll be here for you no matter what.

@jes - Awesome to see you again! 

@Flickik and all of us....me included...best way to get help when you're feeling down and vulnerable, reach out.  You'll be amazed a the support of the team on this forum and others. 

Ok, reading day 1 and we're off..........................

Archived