January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Just a shoutout to everyone starting to day; you can do this!

Some things that have been getting me through the first 11 days of my whole30:

1. Forum support. So important! I check in here whenever and especially when it is difficult and if I *almost* want to give up.

2. Logging my food, sleep and exercise in the whole30 log in the forums. This makes me think before eating that 6th orange. (Not kidding! :ph34r: ) or before staying up an extra hour to watch an episode of Real Housewives of Some Sheltered Community

3. The Whole30 Daily emails. The "pling" from my inbox just makes me happy. I feel like the content is relevant and fun, and most of all like someone is cheering me on every day.

4. Planning ahead. I cannot stress this enough. I have made the suggested lists of dishes I like that can be made in 15 minutes, I have shopped and chopped and fried and baked until my fridge is stocked. Don't miss out on the homemade mayo!

Let's do this together! :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi 

I have started my first whole30 today and looking forward to sharing the experience in these forums along with all of the other benefits that everyone raves about! It's so motivational reading everyone else's experience and challenges.

Day 1 down.... 29 to go!

Feeling organised and positive!  :)

Hello All,

My husband and I are starting today as well! Just had a cup of black coffee, a hard boiled egg and a grapefruit for breakfast. Black coffee ain't that bad! Having a big salad for lunch and spaghetti squash with tomato sauce for dinner- but reading all these posts I realize I might need to add some animal fat today.

Anyways, I'm excited an nervous as well. Like a lot of you, I'm scared to give up beer, wine and cheese. Overall, I consider myself pretty healthy- workout regularly, watch my cal intake, but the lat few months have been awful- starting before thanksgiving. I'm stressed with my new job, and have just completely looked to food and drinks for relief and comfort. My hubby and I will have had a hard week and will really enjoy a few beers and a pizza on a Friday night. Problem is- at the time it feels good right? But when you look at the big picture it doesn't. Anyways- trying to keep the big pic in mind. Looking forward to all the support an offering what I can in return!

Sarah Wood Holland

Hello everyone,

I am excited to be starting my first ever Whole 30 today and connecting with this group for support. The hardest things for me to give up for the challenge will be peanut butter, greek yogurt and sugar free gum, but I am determined to follow strict paleo for these 30 days. On my way to the gym now! Have a wonderful Day 1 everybody :)

Checking in with this great group!!

Day 4 here and going strong :)

Did a big cook up yesterday to get through the next 3 to 4 days ~ Loving the emails and reading all of these posts.

Very comforting to know we are all in this TOGETHER

Have a great day all.

Cheryl

Hey Robert, Jes & Greek...I'm back for Round II. I've essentially thrown myself to the Sugar Dragon these last 4 weeks, and I'm just about fed up. Also gained back what I lost. Thankfully, I've only had one or two hives appear in that time, so not all is lost.

And hello to all of the first timers!

Starting off my day 1 with this lovely soup (it's got a lot of heat, which is good for the arctic chill that's hitting us in NE Ohio today!)

http://www.sustainabledish.com/butternut-stew-with-pork-and-spinach/

I tweaked a little b/c I didn't have everything (fennel seeds, cilantro, basil, mint...and sub'd hungarian paprika for the smoke paprika and pre-made chicken broth <Whole30 compliant> ILO of making my own)...still turned out fantastic.

I also prepped an old stand-by that I love...I add red pepper flakes for a little heat, as well as bay scallops for some protein.

http://fastpaleo.com/recipe/cauliflower-avocado-soup/

And "chicken noodle soup" is in the crockpot today...sub'd zucchini noodles for regular pasta noodles...the rest is just chicken stock, carrots, celery, chicken thigh, and some herbs/seasonings.

Happy Day 1 everyone!

- Jen

Hello, all!!

I've had an unsuccessful round of Whole "17". I was so close, but I used my wedding and preceeding showers as excuses to splurge. I decided last week that I would start today. This time, though, I'm in it to win it!!

To those of you who haven't made it all the way through (like me!), here are some tips I'm giving myself this round. Maybe they will help you!!

1. SUPER simple meals, especially for breakfast and lunch. Even the 15-minute recipes intimidate because they're so different from what I was raised eating and from what I usually cook. For example, my lunch this week will consist of canned chuncked chicken (no additives, of course) mixed with homemade salsa with asparagus on the side. Some of my favorite things, and all I actually cooked was the asparagus (in a pan in the oven on 375 for 17 mins. Easy!).

2. Cleaning out the pantry! Last time, I left some unhealthy snacks around for my nieces and nephews and sister, all of whom frequently visit. I know that one bag of goldfish seems like it won't tempt you, but don't be fooled!

3. I found a "dessert" that I have still been eating because it's so good -- chopped strawberries and raw cashews. Trust me. Delicious.

Good luck, all!!

I'm jumping in on January 8 after a post-project-celebration luncheon at work!  I may be the worst eater ever so I'm terrified and excited at the same time!

One question (for now)...I found recipes in the ISWF book that call for breakfast sausage or chicken sausage with apple.  Where do you find these that don't have any added sugar?  I found breakfast sausage that says ALL NATURAL NO MSG but it still lists less than 2% sugar in the ingredients.  Same thing with the chicken sausage but it actually lists corn syrup also!  Please help! 

good luck to all j6ers! ;)!! I am on Day 2...for the oooohhh???? time...sigh. Well I have made it 4 days then each subsequent attempt I have gone longer and longer...sooo yes progress not perfection...lol!! I am just getting over one of THE worst head colds I have had in YEARS!! ANyway I am determined to get this right THIS TIME!! Big changes coming up for me this week...so I need to get my game face on!! :huh:   I agree planning is paramount!! This is NO time to be "winging it" so to speak!!! ;)

I wish all of you the BEST of luck and I will be checking in...I gain a lot of support from this forum...so THANKS ALL of YOU!!!

Carolyn :D  

Stay strong!!

For those that don't already know me...I love quotes...and I love to share quotes. So here are a few to get us started! :)

"You never fail until you stop trying." - Albert Einstein

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas A. Edison

"Success is achieved and maintained by those who try and keep trying." - W. Clement Stone

"No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, you're still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying." - Tony Robbins

And your mantra for today, should you choose to accept it: I WILL SUCCEED.

B) 

Ok, y'all. Reporting in for morning of Day 1 here. Did my planning and grocery shopping yesterday (THREE different grocery stores). Cooked late into the night last night. I've got frittata (with ground beef, onions, and spinach) made for the next few days, I cooked citrus chicken from ISWF, and I've got plenty of veggies (raw spinach, cooked spinach, asparagus, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans), fruit (apples, bananas, grapes), fat (ghee, coconut milk, olive oil, raw almonds, almond butter), and, of course, protein (grass-fed ground beef, chicken breasts, shrimp, catfish, and eggs).

A few observations thus far:

1. It's going to take some adjusting cooking with all this fat. Every recipe in ISWF is all, "add 1-2 tbsp of fat." I'm seriously not used to that.

2. Speaking of fat, ghee is incredibly rich. It's going to take some getting used to. I will likely use it sparingly and stick to using olive oil for the most part.

3. I'm going to have to buy a non-stick pan for my frittata cooking. Mine stuck.

4. Speaking of frittata, I had to choke mine down this morning. I think I may have put too much spinach in it. I felt myself mourning the loss of cheese. :(

5. Did my pre-30 weigh in this morning. I'm up 24 lbs from my lowest weight. I'm bummed, but not discouraged! As long as I make the right choices, I'll get where I need to be.

6. This thread (and everyone in it) is awesome! I have been following all weekend. Together, we can do this!

Hope everyone is having a fabulous first day. :D

So what types of breakfast foods do you all recommend during the program?  We are doing our big store trip this evening and am looking for various ideas.  Eggs and fruit will probably be my main go to, but my wife would prefer something other than eggs if she had the choice. 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  And as far as Day 1 is concerned, I'm extremely happy to get started and motivated to accomplish this.  I sat down to read It Starts With Food last night and had to put it down after reading the first half of the book.  A great read.

Robert Ramsbottom

Thanks for this thread! I started today. So far, so good...

This is my third W30. I did great with the first 2 with no cheats and no weigh-ins. I'm hoping to FEEL better (several heart problems) and LOSE WEIGHT. I know that losing weight is not supposed to be sooo important, but it's important to ME because I'm too heavy for my heart and I am looking forward to dropping several lbs.  :)

Have a great day, everyone!

Hi Robert Ramsbottom -- with regard to breakfast, you can have ANYTHING (whole30 compliant). For instance, this morning I had a big bowl of leftover Butternut Sausage Spinach soup. I've also done leftover salmon with a big plate of kale, or stayed *traditional* and had some eggs, avocado & sausage. Find some Whole30 recipes that you and your wife both really like and then she can pick from any of those. The one thing on this program that I've enjoyed is expanding my definitions of what "breakfast, lunch & dinner" really are. They're all meals...you can have eggs & bacon for dinner and steak & sweet potatoes for breakfast...it's whatever you're in the mood for! :)

I've found some really great recipes on Pinterest, as well as from Melissa Joulwan (Well Fed & Well Fed2) http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/wellfed/ and Michelle Tam (Nom Nom Paleo) http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

These are all great resources you should check out for help in expanding your recipe index.

One of the side benefits of this program (for me, since I was never much of a cook) is that I've really become more aware of flavors and how they work together with specific foods, and I've found myself experimenting & tweaking recipes more & more to suit my tastes and/or adjust recipes when I don't have all of the exact ingredients. I actually ENJOY cooking now...when I used to dread it (b/c I didn't have a clue of what I was doing).

Anyway...good luck! And enjoy the process of finding new, favorite meals!

- Jen

I started today!  First time ever on Whole30!  I was primal for about six months before falling off the sugar wagon over Christmas.  Hopefully this will get me back on track and help me feel alive (and not miserable) again!

First Day. Breakfast: leftover Brussels sprouts, broccoli, mushrooms and onions stir-fried in a tablespoon of olive oil with 2 eggs. 2 slices of pineapple. Not bad. I had Jasmine tea because I don't have any coconut milk for coffee and just can't seem to face black coffee in the morning! I need to grocery shop. Seriously.

I'm coming from a whole-foods, plant-based, very-low-fat diet. This is what my husband follows and it suits him well. What I noticed is that the craving for sugar never subsided while eating grains. I've been hearing for a long while that people who avoid grains altogether notice that the cravings for sugar disappear. I'm looking forward to that. I binge eat, and of course, what do I binge on? Sugar! Anything with sugar in it! I've even been known (though I would never admit it anywhere else!) to eat sugar by itself, or drink maple syrup straight out of the jar. Hope I don't gross anyone out by saying that. Just trying to be honest about my sever sugar addiction.

This board is going to be my saving grace. I read every post and really appreciate the advice from those who have gone before me, and the hope I hear in all of us "newbies."

And so, I'm off to my local natural foods store to shop. Fortunately, I live in an area where natural food stores abound. (Santa Cruz, CA)

I'll be back later to check in!

~Lara

Hey y'all! Checking in for Day 1. Still not lunch time for me but PWO meal and breakfast were great success. I'm motivated! Mostly because I took "before" pics and well let's just say I'm glad I didn't have a meltdown! Instead, I took that negative energy and became more motivated! My BREAKFAST was hard to eat. I think because I've trained myself with such bad food habits. I just wanted my Caramel Macchioto from Starbucks. Not eggs and veggies! But I did get them down and have been surviving on Chai Spice Hot Tea. I'm prepped for the week and really looking forward to getting back on track.

Also, am I the only having a hard time keeping up with everyone?!? I'm trying to stay focused and learn who everyone is but I'm struggling! Kudoos to you @Robert2014 and @GreektoMe and whoever else is on top of this!

Don't forget MEALS are MEALS. They don't have to be BREAKFAST, LUNCH and DINNER. They need to be protein, veggies, fat. Open your mind!

Also, I found that making a sweet potato puree is great for the carb part of the PWO.

You can follow my journey here: http://idrankthecfkoolaid.com/

I hope everyone is having a SUCCESSFUL DAY ONE!

So what types of breakfast foods do you all recommend during the program?  We are doing our big store trip this evening and am looking for various ideas.  Eggs and fruit will probably be my main go to, but my wife would prefer something other than eggs if she had the choice. 

@Bdramsbottom -

My breakfast this morning:

Fired up the skillet and dumped in some olive oil

Tossed in a bunch of spinach, broccoli, mushrooms and carrots

Tossed in left over steak

Tossed in an egg

Dumped the mess on my plate and added a half avocado and 4 blackberries

Coffee and a glass of water

Done in 15 minutes (and put together my lunch while everything was in the skillet)

Lean hard in favor of tons of veggies as opposed to fruit.

Moderator GFChris was kind enough to share these links several days ago:

- The Whole30 program: http://whole30.com/w...-program-rules/

- Meal template : http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf

- Shopping list: http://whole9life.co...opping-List.pdf

Hi all, 

Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing.  I am eating a delicious lunch of lamb meatballs, homemade baba ganoush, beet salad and roasted carrots (all courtesy of Well Fed--everything I've made from those cookbooks has been great, if not a little time intensive) and I'm feeling pretty good.  Thanks to a weekend of snow, my fridge is now pretty stocked; I just have to not see the wine and dark chocolate when I get home (fortunately my husband is pretty supportive and hides all of the treats under the veggies).

Also quick question for the repeaters:  I bit the bullet and jumped on the scale this morning for my pre-Whole 30 weigh in.  Surprisingly the number was not as high I was expecting, given the fact that I fell face down into a mountain of dessert over the holidays (and when I say holidays, I really mean for the month of December).   But that also might be because I've been eating fairly clean since the new year.  However my body fat percentage is higher than I'd like.  I haven't been exercising all that much, and while I was planning on returning to the gym this month, I wasn't planning on embarking on a really intensive regimen.  Figured I'd have enough on my plate (ha!) with this and really trying to work on my persistent insomnia.  So my question is:  did any of you track your body fat percentage?  Did it change much through diet alone?

Thanks in advance and good luck to us all!

Starting today- Jan 6. I have lost almost 100 pounds over the last 2 years. I did gain some back over the fall/Christmas holidays. I have done several diets in the past & hope this will help to get the food cravings under control. In the past 2 weeks I have already cut out soda & stopped adding sugar to my tea. We have a cross fitter in the family so we are familiar with paleo recipes, but I am looking forward to gaining more knowledge & new recipes.

One question- I am not a big fan of eggs unless they are cooked into a recipe (like cookies - just kidding). Does anyone have quick go to recipes for breakfast that aren't so "eggy"?

Looking forward to doing the 30 with you all

Hi all, 

Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing.  I am eating a delicious lunch of lamb meatballs, homemade baba ganoush, beet salad and roasted carrots (all courtesy of Well Fed--everything I've made from those cookbooks has been great, if not a little time intensive) and I'm feeling pretty good.  Thanks to a weekend of snow, my fridge is now pretty stocked; I just have to not see the wine and dark chocolate when I get home (fortunately my husband is pretty supportive and hides all of the treats under the veggies).

Also quick question for the repeaters:  I bit the bullet and jumped on the scale this morning for my pre-Whole 30 weigh in.  Surprisingly the number was not as high I was expecting, given the fact that I fell face down into a mountain of dessert over the holidays (and when I say holidays, I really mean for the month of December).   But that also might be because I've been eating fairly clean since the new year.  However my body fat percentage is higher than I'd like.  I haven't been exercising all that much, and while I was planning on returning to the gym this month, I wasn't planning on embarking on a really intensive regimen.  Figured I'd have enough on my plate (ha!) with this and really trying to work on my persistent insomnia.  So my question is:  did any of you track your body fat percentage?  Did it change much through diet alone?

Thanks in advance and good luck to us all!

I'm a repeater.  And I did track body fat %, but just at the end & it did go down some, but I have a higher % than you might think by looking at me.  But I was SUPER good & didn't get on the scale until day 22.  And that's the day I rewarded myself with a teeny nor cal style margarita. And some breaded mushrooms.  Because I'd done SO well...

So yeah...

Breakfast was eggs & bacon over salad greens & one cup of coffee w/homemade almond milk.

Lunch cube steak w/okra ragout stuff.

Dinner will be crock pot rotisserie chicken & zoodles w/parm-free pesto.

Feel great, of course, because I'm not in hard sugar detox since I've been coming off that over the past week since Christmas!

Archived