January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Hi Nicole,

I just tried the Well Fed recipe for zucchini noodles & they were delicious!  Try this recipe out instead of pasta…totally filled the bill for me!  I used a red sauce to mix with the "noodles"…even my teen-aged son thought they were good!  Now, if I had only made some meatballs to go along with the "noodles"…. :)  (You will need a julienne slicer, though, to slice the zucchini in slender strips.)

All the best to you,

Catherine 

Thanks, Catherine!

I've looked up a few zoodle recipes today, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to try the Well Fed one!

I have a julienne slicer for some reason...haven't ever used it before. haha!

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 Reflection:

Being mindful of what goes in my mouth alleviates the guilt, shame and anxiety that come with poor food choices.  Being mindful gives me peace.  It helps me eat the next right thing.  As mindfulness about my food and health grows, I pray that it touches other parts of my life.

OK.  Here is my attempt to let the fat-borne walls down by writing what I ate today.  This is not easy, people.  Here it goes....

Meal 1:  Chicken salad with pecans, grapes, apples mayo. Coffee with coconut milk.

Feeling decidedly hungry in spite of dancing, singing, cleaning.  Had to do something distasteful today that I never thought I would have to for the sake of my family...and I did not eat or drink lattes through it.  Yeah me!

Meal 2:  More chicken salad because I just couldn't think straight enough to think of anything else.  Also had 1 avocado and kombucha.

Still hungry after emptying cabinets and taking clothes to Goodwill. Picked up my youngest after school.  She insisted on a date with Mommy.  I became un-food-cloistered at Starbucks this afternoon.  She had apple juice and dark chocolate (not compliant, I know, I know but she's just a baby).  I had an unsweetened shaken passion iced tea.  Before supper, ate one macadamia and asked myself if I was hungry.  Myself said "no" and ate no more but I think I really was hungry.

Meal 3:  Omelet of 4 eggs, guacamole; spinach sauteed in coconut oil; 1/3 sweet potato with ghee; kombucha.

90 minutes later I am hungry.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I am trying to stay away from the fruit.  Maybe I will distract myself with some decaf coffee.  

My biggest challenge today was the hunger and that the mindfog which I experience when my autoimmune stuff is flaring took away my phone number, my shopping list, remembering to turn at Goodwill the first go round.  Looking forward to another day.  Really.  I am.

Do the next right thing.  Be well, all.

OK.  Here is my attempt to let the fat-borne walls down by writing what I ate today.  This is not easy, people.  Here it goes....

Meal 1:  Chicken salad with pecans, grapes, apples mayo. Coffee with coconut milk.

Feeling decidedly hungry in spite of dancing, singing, cleaning.  Had to do something distasteful today that I never thought I would have to for the sake of my family...and I did not eat or drink lattes through it.  Yeah me!

Meal 2:  More chicken salad because I just couldn't think straight enough to think of anything else.  Also had 1 avocado and kombucha.

Still hungry after emptying cabinets and taking clothes to Goodwill. Picked up my youngest after school.  She insisted on a date with Mommy.  I became un-food-cloistered at Starbucks this afternoon.  She had apple juice and dark chocolate (not compliant, I know, I know but she's just a baby).  I had an unsweetened shaken passion iced tea.  Before supper, ate one macadamia and asked myself if I was hungry.  Myself said "no" and ate no more but I think I really was hungry.

Meal 3:  Omelet of 4 eggs, guacamole; spinach sauteed in coconut oil; 1/3 sweet potato with ghee; kombucha.

90 minutes later I am hungry.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I am trying to stay away from the fruit.  Maybe I will distract myself with some decaf coffee.  

My biggest challenge today was the hunger and that the mindfog which I experience when my autoimmune stuff is flaring took away my phone number, my shopping list, remembering to turn at Goodwill the first go round.  Looking forward to another day.  Really.  I am.

Do the next right thing.  Be well, all.

Was there any veggies in meals 1 and 2? You want to be sure you're getting 1-3 cups per meal.

My fog started yesterday, Day 3, and was in full foggy force today. I told my dh that I felt like I had had a little too much to drink, not in a sick or dizzy way, and not in a giggly way.

I didn't quite remember that it was a #Whole30 thing, but once I hopped on this forum, I saw words like "loopy" and "foggy," then I realized it was par for the Whole 30 course. Didn't slow me down that much, had a crazy not-much-time-to-eat-at-work day, so all good.

Onward to Day 5! We'll be 1/6 done tomorrow night:)

mk_hammer Oh, I forgot how much I love cajun! I used to use Zatrains but I threw mine out as it had MSG in it. Do you know of any similar brands or recipes that are clean? Not all of them are as spicy as that one.

Sklane - It's worth mentioning to your grocery manager, they're often not aware of what's in things, request what they're missing :)

dovely - Carrageenan can be really rough on your insides, you probably won't have any sugar-detox type symptoms, your stomach just needs an extra bit of healing time :) 

kysanne - I found sometimes what I needed most was actually to go to better eating places. Some places will just keep a list in the back either of how to make your favourites, or a list of what you can't have, that's regularly in their dishes. Some places have special menus for those with allergies or special eating requirements. The places I went to often, I had a chat (at a quiet time on a Sunday - do not attempt at rush hour) with either wait staff or a chef, told them what dishes I used to order, why I can't have them now and is there anything existing I could switch to, or could they alter dishes so I can eat them. Many have now made permanent updates to their menu with healthier options or "extra vegetables" as a side order. 

Some places are just really not accommodating (and they will make no attempt to be), I take my business elsewhere. For example we have a coffee chain here which brags about "low gluten", but won't declare anything gluten free as their normal practice causes lots of cross contamination with food. It's very annoying as they make salads and things that would be great for Whole30 (without the dressing). As a result, I don't eat anything there at all and mention that if I go there with someone else "I can't eat here, you don't have anything gluten free". I'm polite, I smile, but I make it clear it's their lack of service which is why I'm not buying something. I stick to black coffee or tea (I often use my own tea bags too). 

Locally, I find Chinese impossible (wheat+sugar+soy+rice), but Thai food is pretty good if they understand what you can't eat. Indian is a possible, but depends greatly on the restaurant, some dishes often have dairy which can't be removed. I find Italian places that cook all their own food (not just use pre-made sauces) are really easy, as long as you're clear about no cheese :D

I found going to new places was less stressful on my friends and family, rather than stopping going out, although we do eat at each other's houses more now.

nlprice - Rub ghee on a pair of chickens and roast them NomNomPaleo style :) PS. I don't like ghee in coffee, but lots of others do. I totally agree with Cath3040, zucchini noodles are awesome :D I bought a spiraliser and it was well worth it if you like pasta. Big bowls of zoodles, in soup, with pasta sauces, in curries, on their own! :D Even if only you eat them, they make different meals much easier.

Jan2014 - I prefer coconut oil in my coffee :)

honeybadger - the dreams can be really funny sometimes, at first they made me panic, now they make me laugh :) what surprises me is how often they are about foods people don't like.

dovely - I can get compliant proscuitto here in Australia. The good ones are usually just "pork, salt" on our labels. The bad ones have a much longer list and usually include grainy starches and sugars, which also taste crappy :)

Kelly M - I find when I'm hungry closely after a meal it's either not enough fat, not enough protein, or only having salad. Salad is okay, but I find I often have too many meals of it in a row and the first few are okay, but at some stage I just get hungry, my body wants something heavier. I find I can balance this by adding some roasted veggies into salad. With four eggs and sweet potato, I'm going to guess Meal #3 needed some more fat :)

Hello Everyone,

I made it through Day 4, too!

I have no complaints or praises as of yet. Just made some ghee with some organic butter I bought for the purpose. I am loving my food. Wish I had more time to write. Just finished catching-up on all of the posts! Everybody's doing so well! Way to go Team J6!

~Lara

mk_hammer Oh, I forgot how much I love cajun! I used to use Zatrains but I threw mine out as it had MSG in it. Do you know of any similar brands or recipes that are clean? Not all of them are as spicy as that one.

Sklane - It's worth mentioning to your grocery manager, they're often not aware of what's in things, request what they're missing :)

Check Pinterest- I gave up Zatarans awhile ago & make my own. Depending on who I am cooking for I add more or less peppers. Vary the peppers for more heat. I use cauliflower rice & add cayenne, cumin, garlic & red pepper. Enjoy

Day 4 was my BEST day so far! I was still in an excellent mood from my PR last night. Here are some highlights:

- I woke up before my alarm went off and felt completely rested, crazy!

- I did not crave sugar at ALL today, in fact when it was around me I didn't want it. Um...that is SO not me! But in a GREAT WAY

- At breakfast I lost interest in it halfway, but I made myself finish it

- I was high energy all day and I didn't have my afternoon lull

I am feeling great today and am highly anticipating tomorrow--I am going to a paleo restaurant for lunch! I have called ahead and everything to make sure they cook with oils that are ok for me. 

I am proud of ALL of us, keep it up!!

~Christine

This may get a little graphic, so be forewarned. It's only day 5 and I've noticed some big digestive differences from last time I did the Whole30. Last time, I suffered from "slow digestion" through the month which wasn't aleviated until I added back a little washed, pre-soaked white rice. This time, digestion is right on point and in fact a bit more active than normal. The difference? I'm thinking it's nuts. I'm a big nut snacker. Last time, I ate less, but still had some nuts daily. This time, I've only had them twice.

Day 3 was a closed fist of macadamia & almonds and within a few hours, I felt gassy. Yesterday, I had a little less of just the macadamia and felt okay. I have heard from friends that some nuts give them digestive problems and gas. Anyone else have this? Which nuts are the culprits? I may have to do a little experimenting here!

This may get a little graphic, so be forewarned. It's only day 5 and I've noticed some big digestive differences from last time I did the Whole30. Last time, I suffered from "slow digestion" through the month which wasn't aleviated until I added back a little washed, pre-soaked white rice. This time, digestion is right on point and in fact a bit more active than normal. The difference? I'm thinking it's nuts. I'm a big nut snacker. Last time, I ate less, but still had some nuts daily. This time, I've only had them twice.

Day 3 was a closed fist of macadamia & almonds and within a few hours, I felt gassy. Yesterday, I had a little less of just the macadamia and felt okay. I have heard from friends that some nuts give them digestive problems and gas. Anyone else have this? Which nuts are the culprits? I may have to do a little experimenting here!

I would test different nuts to see which ones bother you. We are all different. I have also heard that all nuts should be raw and soaked for 8 - 12 hours before consuming. This is not a Whole30 claim. If you still have trouble with nuts you might want to try soaking them first. Good Luck.

Hi Corinna...interesting on the nuts. I've never made a connection, but I'll have to look into that further. What I've noticed (as well as my family :blink: ) is that these last couple days (particularly starting after lunch and lingering through the evening) is that I, um, have "toxic" farts. lol. Like "rotten eggy" smelling...and frequent...every few minutes, I'm letting one go. I can't remember if I ran into this the last time through...if I did, I suspect it was short-lived since I can't remember. I'm hoping this issue goes away soon. Anyone else running into this?

I did have a few nuts (almonds) both days, so I'll eliminate those today and see how I do. Today, my breakfast was the same as my lunch from yesterday...so there's a common denominator if my bowels act up again...then I can blame it on the avocado-parsnip-cauliflower-scallops soup.

Other than that, I woke up a little more fatigued this morning. Would have loved to have slept in today. Feeling okay right now...will be heading to bed early tonight...particularly since I have a session with my trainer tomorrow morning at 7:45, and he will not take "I'm too tired" as a valid excuse to not bust my butt during the workout. :huh:

Have a great day everyone! And don't forget to EAT YOUR VEGGIES!!!! ;)

d2f9c11a16e05c734bdd01aa1e987e28.jpg

@praxisproject: I use Slap Ya Mama. It's an all-natural product made in Ville Platte, LA. Only ingredients are: salt, red pepper, black pepper, garlic. No MSG. I was able to find it at WalMart here in Atlanta. I used to use Tony Chachere's, but I checked the ingredients before my W30, and it said it may contain soy or dairy. :(

Ok so I don't know why I am getting confused but NO sunflower seed oil right?? But you can have sunflower seeds and other seeds like sesame seeds in there whole form?

That is mostly correct. Seed oils should be avoided because the process that is used to extract them makes the oils very unstable and uses harsh chemicals. Many seed oils are then essentially bleached to make them palatable again. That said the official ruling says to avoid these oils at home but don't stress about them when you are dining out as it is almost impossible to avoid them. Soybean and corn oils are no no no no foods, but canola, sunflower, etc should be avoided to the best of your ability. Does that make sense? If you can find cold pressed seed oils than those are safer but also generally more expensive. I believe my sesame seed oil is cold pressed. I don't use it in a lot of dishes though so a little lasts me a while.

Ok. So I started my first Whole30 on the 6th.  I have been reading all of the posts in this thread from the beginning, but am definately more of a lurker than a poster. I really appreciate everyone sharing their struggles.  Makes you feel like you aren't in this battle alone.   :)  And I need to vent to someone who may understand.

Because I have reached the KATT stage with a vengeance today.  In fact I'm in such a foul mood that I am even ticked off at the phrase KATT.  What's up with that?  :huh:  I mean really, how can someone be mad at words???  I am thinking it should be more like kill every effing thing.  :angry:

I was actually in a fine mood yesterday, day 4, and didn't really have any hangover symptoms days 2-3. 

But I'm also quitting smoking at the same time, starting the 6th too, so I guess its to be expected.

So onward I go.  Thanks for listening to my whine!

Because I have reached the KATT stage with a vengeance today.  In fact I'm in such a foul mood that I am even ticked off at the phrase KATT.  What's up with that?  :huh:  I mean really, how can someone be mad at words???  I am thinking it should be more like kill every effing thing.  :angry:

sat247 -- Thanks for sharing!  You are in good company here.  Yes, KATT can feel more like KEFT.   :angry:  No one said this would all be rainbows and unicorns.  

You just took a HUGE step in your journey.  You let us know you are in the ring with us.  For better or worse, you now get to listen to us.   :D

Do everything you can to get through this horrid day and into bed tonight.  Succeed today.

You can deal with tomorrow, tomorrow.

At the risk of further inciting your foul mood, I must say that you are very funny when you are angry.  "Kill every effing thing" -- that is funny and something we can all relate to.

Welcome aboard sat247.  Thank you thank you for speaking up.

Happy day 5 krewe!

Got all the snacks I ordered from Amazon yesterday!  Too late for my traffic-induced near meltdown, but I made it through that, and an all water happy hour and am carrying on.  Lara bars, coconut milk, jerky snacks, olive packs and macadamia and coconut butter packs stored away in the 'compliant foods' cupboard- should be helpful in managing a busy weekend ahead.   

Feeling a little sluggish today and I also appear to be turning into one of those ladies who will tear up at a particularly touching Hallmark commercial... but hoping to overcome it in time for a 5:15 kickboxing class.  Working on grocery planning and meal ideas until then...

Hi Corinna...interesting on the nuts. I've never made a connection, but I'll have to look into that further. What I've noticed (as well as my family :blink: ) is that these last couple days (particularly starting after lunch and lingering through the evening) is that I, um, have "toxic" farts. lol. Like "rotten eggy" smelling...and frequent...every few minutes, I'm letting one go. I can't remember if I ran into this the last time through...if I did, I suspect it was short-lived since I can't remember. I'm hoping this issue goes away soon. Anyone else running into this?

I did have a few nuts (almonds) both days, so I'll eliminate those today and see how I do. Today, my breakfast was the same as my lunch from yesterday...so there's a common denominator if my bowels act up again...then I can blame it on the avocado-parsnip-cauliflower-scallops soup.

Sometimes the Cauliflower can be the culprit to the toxic farts. Same with the rest of the Cruciferous veggies, which sadly are a lot of HEALTHY, nutrient dense veggies. But everyone is different. It could be the almonds.

Day 5, y'all! We've made it this far! Should be smooth sailing from here on out, right? ;)

Exciting news to report: I went to spinning last night for the first time since Monday, and I didn't die! Victory! It's the little things, ya know?

Seriously, though. I had a lot of fear about returning because I've been so lethargic. But, it went really well. I didn't feel unusually exhausted until about 50 mins in, but I totally powered through. It was a really good class. And, I felt AWESOME afterwards.

Last night's dinner was awesome, too! Made hamburger patties with organic, grass-fed beef. Also roasted zucchini with olive oil, garlic, and thyme. Had my regular sweet potato with coconut milk and cinnamon. DELISH.

I'm going to make steaks tonight, so I'm pretty psyched about that. Tomorrow is for meal planning, grocery shopping, and cooking for the week! I'm determined to have better breakfasts and lunches next week.

Glad we're all hanging in there! Only 25 more days to go!

Seriously, though. I had a lot of fear about returning because I've been so lethargic. But, it went really well. I didn't feel unusually exhausted until about 50 mins in, but I totally powered through. It was a really good class. And, I felt AWESOME afterwards.

MK - Just you wait.  In a couple of weeks, you are going to be dancing on the pedals.  Performance up, soreness down.  Guaranteed, it will happen.

Archived