January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Happy Monday Everyone!  I had my first Whole30 recipe fail tonight.   Tried to make nom nom paleo's Asian Chicken, but didn't turn out as pictured.  Tasted good, but I guess I needed Chicken Thighs with Skin.   On a more positive note a bunch of people liked the Chocolate Chili I brought in.   Healthy = Tasty!   Looking forward to the "Tiger's Blood" energy to kick.   Hopefully by Sunday for the 1/2 Marathon. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been busy this weekend shopping and food prepping.   I made an Egg Frittata, Spicy Tuna Cakes, and amazing roasted butternut squash soup,  cauliflower fried rice, boiled eggs and chocolate chili.   Looking forward to eating good this week.     My 10 mile run on Sat was brutal so I spent some time on other forums about prepping better.   Definitely more fruit and carb dense veggies this week to get ready for the 1/2 marathon next week. Anyone else feeling run down from workouts?  I really cut back on fruit this week.    Last night was tough going to the movies and not eating popcorn, but I did it.

What is you spicy tuna cake recipe? It sounds great

Regarding kids and sugar...kids are much more in love with sweetness -- it's biological. Something that's FAR too sweet for an adult, a kid will gulp right down and ask for more.

And the thing is...food companies know this. They use this. They can make up 10 or 20 batches of pudding, all with varying levels of sweetness, bring kids in for taste testing, and put the one out that hits the bliss point (that perfect sweetness that's not too much, and leaves you wanting more). 

And that goes for adults too. Food companies SET OUT to make their food addictive, whether it's chips or cookies or cereal or any processed food. That's why a part of you shouldn't feel bad when you react to processed food by EATING ALL THE THINGS: It was designed to make you EAT ALL THE THINGS. (Why you brought it into your sphere of influence to begin with--that's another matter. :P )

And someone pointed out that food itself is not evil. You are not a bad person for eating an Oreo, or a bag of Doritos. Food has no moral value. 

Proud of everyone for making food choices that (if not now, will eventually) make you feel better. :D

Day 9 checking in! I didn't check in yesterday, so also checking in day 8.

Still trucking along! I'm getting in a routine now, which is nice. I no longer have to choke down the veggies. I'm even *gasp* enjoying them? It's kind of crazy! For example, I made a spaghetti squash and expected to hate it and resent the fact that it even shared a name with spaghetti; however, I actually LOVE it. Usually, for me, veggies fall on a scale of what I can tolerate (either I can tolerate it or I can't). But this, though, I actually liked! Go figure. ^_^

Still eating on the chocolate chili and beef vegetable soup I made. That soup was a PITA, but IT. IS. AWESOME. Chock full o' veggies, and SOOO yummy. I'm going to have to make another batch next week. After all, I do have another half of a cabbage to use.

Watched "Hungry for Change" on Netflix yesterday. Definitely fed into what I'm already learning. My fear now is that, not unlike an alcoholic or a drug addict, I don't think I'll ever be able to handle moderation. As in, I shouldn't ever put another Cheeto in my mouth. That's a scary thought.

Day 9 checking in! I didn't check in yesterday, so also checking in day 8.

Watched "Hungry for Change" on Netflix yesterday. Definitely fed into what I'm already learning. My fear now is that, not unlike an alcoholic or a drug addict, I don't think I'll ever be able to handle moderation. As in, I shouldn't ever put another Cheeto in my mouth. That's a scary thought.

mk - dont let it be a scary thought! Think of it as freedom! You are free from eating crap for the rest of your life. I feel this way about dairy. I just cant handle it - it makes me stuffy and feeling ill. SO I never have to eat it again, and I never have to feel sick from it again. It means I will not have to take decongestants or allergy pills just to breathe. Hurray!

Day 9 and still feeling great. I was really expecting more cravings, but it seems more mental than anything. For example, I put my leftover stir fry in the fridge at work and saw a Diet Pepsi and thought "Yum, Diet Pepsi", but it was just a fleeting thought and it left pretty quickly. I think my problem is going to come when things get busy. Soccer starts next month for my son in addition to church on Wednesdays and Boy Scouts on Mondays. I'm used to going home to a Lean Cuisine or Wendy's with my best friend since I don't have time to cook. On the plus side, I have several cooked meats in the freezer and have steam in the bag veggies for a quick meal. Preperation is most definitely key for this. I may spend a lot of time in the kitchen on Sunday, but it's worth it the rest of the week. The food processor and crock pot have become my best friends (Hawaiian Pork cooking in it right now : ) ).

On another note, the main reason I started this W30 was to reduce my back pain. Figures that I was in a car accident Friday. The good thing is the pain is not nearly as significant as I expected to be, so I consider that a win.

Oh and I LOVE Pintrest. It is making this sooooo much easier. I find all sorts of great recipes on it. I think Chocolate Chili is on the menu for this weekend. People on here seem to like it.

Checking in again. It looks like everyone is doing well, which is so great.

Last night I had a crazy food dream, I was at a home and they were serving chocolate and cake. I was talking to someone {can't remember who} and then the cake came by and I had a full finger of icing. Immediately I felt guilty and knew I had ruined my Whole30! At that point I woke up and I felt waves of relief, knowing I hadn't consumed the icing. WEIRD. {I honestly thought the food dreams were people being dramatic, but they are REAL.}

Things are trucking along. I am making good food choices, I am no longer in headache, cravings land. I also found out I can have a Starbucks Passion Fruit Tea unsweetened, so I am excited to try that! And this Friday my husband and I are going to go to Chili's, where I will have their sirloin made dry with steamed broccoli. Glad to know I have a few choices out there.

Keep up the good work everyone! Anyone else having weird dreams?

Still eating on the chocolate chili and beef vegetable soup I made. That soup was a PITA, but IT. IS. AWESOME. Chock full o' veggies, and SOOO yummy. 

mk_hammer (and others) - can you advise where I can find the recipe for the choco chile everyone keeps raving about?  And the beef vegetable soup recipe?  I need to mix up my repertoire pronto!  Thanks!

Had a good Day 8, even though it was sort of hectic.  I had to go straight from work to babysit for my 2 younger grandsons so my daughter could take her oldest son to Akaido (sp?) where he was being tested.  In order for me to be able to do that, she and her boys stopped at my house to feed my old dog and let him out.  What a sweetie she is.  My whole family is super supportive.  I just wish my mom was still alive so I could share this amazing experience with her.  I didn't get home until about 8:00 p.m. and had thought about having cold hard-boiled eggs and carrot sticks, but then I thought, "No!  I can fix something yummy and hot and it won't take much time at all."  And I did! 

Had a good Day 8, even though it was sort of hectic.  I had to go straight from work to babysit for my 2 younger grandsons so my daughter could take her oldest son to Akaido (sp?) where he was being tested.  In order for me to be able to do that, she and her boys stopped at my house to feed my old dog and let him out.  What a sweetie she is.  My whole family is super supportive.  I just wish my mom was still alive so I could share this amazing experience with her.  I didn't get home until about 8:00 p.m. and had thought about having cold hard-boiled eggs and carrot sticks, but then I thought, "No!  I can fix something yummy and hot and it won't take much time at all."  And I did! 

Love the 8pm choice you made and love your Thich Nhat Hanh quote! I teach mindfulness, and will include this in my next workshop.

mk_hammer (and others) - can you advise where I can find the recipe for the choco chile everyone keeps raving about?  And the beef vegetable soup recipe?  I need to mix up my repertoire pronto!  Thanks!

Yes! Here is the beef vegetable soup recipe. My only change was that I added a bit of leftover asparagus.

Someone else already shared the chocolate chili recipe. I really like it, but I find it to be a bit heavy. Today, I poured it over a bed of baby spinach, and that was yums.

Day 5 completed for me, yay!

Feeling good, and I have adapted to eating so much meat. My children keep eying up my plate, and this morning my son wanted to eat spinach as well and requested it for tomorrow morning, lol!

I only had one food related dream after day 1 where I ate a piece of baguette, but that's been it so far.

I love reading about everyone's experiences, I'm just a bit miffed that because of my stomach flu I was only able to start on Friday, so four days later than most here on this thread.

I have yet to experience any symptoms from the list, but as I had eaten practically nothing for four days before starting and was lying in bed anyway with nausea and splitting headaches I might have "detoxed" before I started.

I'm just glad that I have not experienced the KATT stage so far!!!

Today, I poured it over a bed of baby spinach, and that was yums.

I am putting EVERYTHING that may previously have gone over noodles/rice/between breads over spinach lately.  Last night I had fajitas over spinach, fantastic.  For lunch today I had sausage and peppers over spinach-also fantastic.  And it sneaks more veggies in without me really thinking about them.  

Also finding that the rotisserie chicken I picked up is a really good breakfast option for me.  Most of my leftovers look pretty unappealing at that hour, and I'm pretty over hard boiled eggs right now, but for some reason a chicken leg seemed like the perfect grab and go protein for my busy morning today...whatever works!

Kysaane- use the bones from your chicken to make broth in the crockpot. Really easy & yummy!

Ok, since we are no longer rewarding ourselves with food here is an idea to pamper yourself. Saw this on Rachael Ray- facial ideas with things from your fridge. What to do with the honey your not eating- enjoy

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/tips/17002_Age_Defying_Tips_From_Your_Fridge/index.html

@Greek :D I missed you!!! this group is much larger than our last one which is awesome just take a little more time to get through everything.

I appreciate everyone touching on the parent thing. I do not have kids but I am a nanny (those of you who know my story last go around have heard this all before). I am currently the long weekend nanny for a family I use to nanny a lot more regularly for. My kids are 4 and 3 and though the food in the house relatively healthy, it is not whole30 compliant nor is conducive for my food allergies. So in logical form I shouldn't want to eat the food but I'm still human and food that I don't keep in my house ever (there are no items in my house that are not whole30 compliant) always subtly calls my name. Had this been last weekend, I would have felt rather confident in my ability to tell the food to shut it and move on. However, I am back in school and my first 5 page paper of the term is due next tuesday... I have the kids Friday-Monday  :( soooo a relaxing weekend revolved around the kids still needs to happen but that means that I have to use every chance I can focusing on my homework (before they wake about 7am, 2 hour nap time and bed time about 8:15ish) I'm preemptively stressing out about it all. I need to commit my food on here every day, the good the bad and the ugly.

@kysanne- have you tried the egg muffins? they save me in the morning I cook 12 at the beginning of the week and they last me about 4 days (I eat three in the morning) I use this link for cooking instructions but put different ingredients in. this week cut up about 4 squash and divided them between the 12 tins, cooked up 2 chicken sausages and divided, lightly sautéed a bag of spinach and divided then I scrambled the eggs with fresh basil and a garlic salt and parsley blend. I personally like to scramble each egg individually but i'm a little OCD... just a thought for another breakfast item. Also making HB eggs into deviled eggs but using avocado to mix instead... Ok, i'll stop being over baring now. ha!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins%C2'>

Hi everyone, just want to join in.  I started on January 6, sort of with my husband.  Doing pretty good so far, with only 1 snafu being on the second night (which was our date night, which happens approximately 3 times a year).  I just discovered the forum, and don't have time right now, but will read through everything soon.

I've been usually having scrambled eggs w/veggies or leftovers for breakfast, a huge salad for lunch, whatever (whole30) hubby makes for dinner, and am in love with homemade curry mayo :)

I miss my coffee with cream & sugar, but am making do by blending it with a little coconut oil and coconut milk.  I'm actually down to less than a cup LOL

@paleogardener- ooh GOOD CALL! I found some of the compliant Imagine stuff at Natural Grocer's today, but making my own sounds much better, & @jesmarie I'll have to try those egg muffins, I'm not naturally an early morning eater, so maybe having easily available options will help.

Interesting today: I got trapped at the DMV for a few hours and ended up going to a Lara Bar to fend off some late afternoon hunger (not sure where that came from, I ate a TON today, but regardless)...within minutes I felt tired, cranky, and the hunger hadn't really subsided at all.  I'm thinking it was the (even natural/approved) sugar shock, but now I'm kind of fascinated to try it again tomorrow.  Great, now I'm my own science experiment.  BUT the part that I'm actually psyched about is being able to track that sort of reaction.  Before if I didn't feel well there's no way I could even guess what the cause might be, because the grazing and the wide variety of crap I was putting in my face made that impossible.  Yes, this is a potentially weird thing to be excited about, but such is life.

Struggling today with feeling isolated.  Realizing my social interactions revolve around food and drink and that I have few current hobbies or interests to provide similar distraction.  I'm seeing all the benefits this program promised, but (beyond the gym) I think I need ways to expend all of this extra energy and fill up some empty hours before I drive myself crazy.  Anyone else struggling to maintain this and their social life at the same time?

Breakfast: Homemade breakfast sausages, carrot, handful of cherry tomatoes, coffee--I'm still shocked that I'm drinking it black. This is my concession to my husband who feels so yukky in the morning that the "strong smells" of veg cooking make him feel nauseous.  So, I just have been cooking up the sausage, warming it in the microwave and eating my veg raw.

Lunch: Leftovers from Sunday's jambalaya and 1/2 avocado, natural applesauce.

PreWO: 1/2 sausage 

WO: 4x1000m rows with 90 sec rest, practiced handstand holds 

Post WO: the other 1/2 sausage and sweet potato chews (they rock!!!!!)

Dinner:  http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/12/13/crispy-italian-chicken-thighs/ , a bit of mashed up sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon, sautéed zoodles in garlic, ghee, onion.

Did you catch my lunch???  Oh yeah, people, that happened!  And it's compliant, baby!  My AMAZING husband (who definitely missed his calling to be a chef) cooked up my dinner separately.  Here is the recipe: sauté andouille (he made ours, so I know what's in it).  Use the fat to cook onions, celery, bell pepper until soft.  Add a clove of garlic.  Season with salt.  Add cauliflower that you run through the food processor a la cauli-rice.  Season with salt.  Stir to coat with fat.  Add  chili powder Put it all in a glass baking dish.  Put a few pieces of chicken on top (season w/salt, pepper, garlic powder) and bake until the chicken is done.  OMG so freaking delicious!  I was sad when I had the last bite of it today!

Tired right now because I haven't had time to decompress yet today.  But, I just sent the kiddos to bed and hubby is at a Sabres game, so...(right after I get lunch ready for tomorrow...)  

Have a great night, everyone!

Greek - Thanks for chiming in.  I get 8-9 hours of sleep which is somewhat interrupted by dogs, baby, partner's sleep apnea but no patient calls.  Last Friday was the only day during which I felt fatigued within 2 hours of awakening.  Took a 2 hour nap in the early morning and felt great the rest of the day.  Today was still wired when I woke up through about 11AM.  Whatcha think?

Archived