January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 whole zucchini, artichoke hearts, avocado

Lunch: chicken caesar, cashew cookie larabar, 2 pieces dried white peaches, 4 slices dried mango

Lunch was closer to my workout than normal so no pre workout meal for me.

Workout: 1 mile on the treadmill, 1000 meters rowing machine, weights class, ab class, stretch

Post workout: banana

Dinner: hamburger patty w/avocado, carrots, tangarine

Dance rehearsal

and now i'm writing all of you before bed... I don't know if i should eat some more tonight or not... To be completely honest i'm really gassy and the only thing new in my diet was the peaches and the tangerine, i've had all the rest before. I don't do well my stomach is upset but i also don't want to feel the affects of not eating enough tomorrow at work... I have a physically demanding job and I cannot afford to be off. maybe i'll just have an egg and go to bed. 

I don't think I'll EVER eat sugar again

Tuesday, my son was home, by himself, for a few hours. He was bored so he decide to make a homemade chocolate cake. (he also cooked dinner, hung out the laundry and ironed all the clothes, but that's another story)

Thinking I was doing the right thing, as his mother, and being VERY proud of him, tired a piece, a small one, 1/8 of the cake. 13 grams of sugar later, I was awake until 1030pm, I was awake again with EXTREME nightmares at 1230am - too scared to go back to sleep, finally asleep at 130am awake again at 3am with more nightmares and then finally up at 615am.

IF this is what sugar does to my brain when I eat large-ish amounts, I'm not interested. Those nightmares scared me so bad, I thought I was going to die from panic when I woke up. (I'm not prone to nightmares, I haven't had one in MANY years that bad)

Anyone else ever have this happen to them???

Eureka. I know this is nothing new, but it's very new to me.

For me the simple best thing about eating this way is to find that, in fact, I do have willpower. I lose every time when bad blood chemistry and fatigue and cravings get together against me, but take the bad blood chemistry out of the picture and the fatigue and cravings can be reasoned with, "Fatigue, you're just tiredness, so I'll lie down for a while. Cravings, you can wait until steak and asparagus and salad are ready for dinner." 

There should be an emoticon for the aha moment, but for now I'll just insert mellow yellow:  :mellow:

Hope other newbies are finding their key to sticktoitiveness (and relief/revelation/joy!) with this way of eating, too!

Yesterday was the worst day by far. I am surprised to have such a day so late in the game and I hope it's just a variation of normal. We had lunch at 12:30 instead of 10:30 (as we will all week) and by the time lunch came I was physically ill. I ate lunch thinking that would fix me, but I still felt so exhausted I ended up going home early. I actually think I had a fever.

This led to me doing a google search for "carb flu" which led to me reading some things that made me think maybe I'm still eating too many carbs, so I started entering all my food into my fitness pal and WOAH.

I am eating a TON of calories. Like, twice as many as I used to.

How is this NOT going to result in weight gain?

Yesterday was the worst day by far. I am surprised to have such a day so late in the game and I hope it's just a variation of normal. We had lunch at 12:30 instead of 10:30 (as we will all week) and by the time lunch came I was physically ill. I ate lunch thinking that would fix me, but I still felt so exhausted I ended up going home early. I actually think I had a fever.

This led to me doing a google search for "carb flu" which led to me reading some things that made me think maybe I'm still eating too many carbs, so I started entering all my food into my fitness pal and WOAH.

I am eating a TON of calories. Like, twice as many as I used to.

How is this NOT going to result in weight gain?

Please back off from My Fitness Pal and calorie tracking - it's completely opposite of what the Whole30 is about.

The idea with Whole30 is to tune into your body's satiety signals, and use that as your gauge, working with the meal template as your minimum, for what amount of food works for you.  Here's what Melissa and Dallas have to say on this: http://whole30.com/2013/02/you-count-more-than-your-calories-do/

If you'd like to get feedback on your food log to ensure you're on the right track, post 2-3 days worth of your log here.

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 whole zucchini, artichoke hearts, avocado

Lunch: chicken caesar, cashew cookie larabar, 2 pieces dried white peaches, 4 slices dried mango

Lunch was closer to my workout than normal so no pre workout meal for me.

Workout: 1 mile on the treadmill, 1000 meters rowing machine, weights class, ab class, stretch

Post workout: banana

Dinner: hamburger patty w/avocado, carrots, tangarine

Dance rehearsal

and now i'm writing all of you before bed... I don't know if i should eat some more tonight or not... To be completely honest i'm really gassy and the only thing new in my diet was the peaches and the tangerine, i've had all the rest before. I don't do well my stomach is upset but i also don't want to feel the affects of not eating enough tomorrow at work... I have a physically demanding job and I cannot afford to be off. maybe i'll just have an egg and go to bed. 

I am not an expert but it could be the cashew larabar or the artichoke hearts.Those make me bloated and gassy. Also raw veggies might be the cause or the peaches. You might want to try and avoid these for a few days and see if it gets better. Maybe try them again one at a time, on your day off, to see if you have the same symptoms. It is all a guessing game.

Day 10!!!!  Woohoo!!!  Buuuttt.....I have a confession to make.  I apparently did not read my label well enough on my coconut milk and for the past 9 days have been drinking my coffee with coconut milk + carrageenan.  Boo.  BUT on the bright side, I was planning to do at least a W45 anyway, so no love lost!  I'm just going to keep going as if it is day 10 because the carrageenan was the only mistake I made and if I "start over" it will make me feel defeated.  And I'm not defeated.  :D AND by the way...coconut milk from the can + coffee = O.M.G.  I think I'm in heaven.  SO much better than the stuff from the box.  ODD tasted the hardened coconut milk from the fridge and said "What is this? Is it whooped cream?" Tasted it and said "yummm....this IS whooped cream!!!!  Mmmmm!!!!"  Score 1 for me! 

Last night was our long night.  I got home at 7:00 with no idea of what I was going to cook for dinner.  I knew what I had in the refrigerator but had no desire to cook anything and had no clue what I was going to make.  The thought of "man, this would be so much easier if I could just stop and pick something up" crossed my mind.  But I persevered and did not stop.  When I got home I told DH "I'm just going to sauté some chicken breasts and squash, zucchini, and onions.  I don't feel like making a big meal.  Pick what you want for your sides"  What???  From "I just want to pick something up" to "Just going to season, cut up, stand over the stove, make two sets of side dishes, clean dishes, etc."  And then I still had energy to sweep the kitchen!  Helloooo burst of evening energy!  You are welcome to come again back tonight!!!  LOL!!! 

Plus...I walked by a table of Almond Joy's, Twinkies, Swiss Rolls, and Honey Buns without blinking an eye this morning when I got to work.  Go me!  Happy Day 10 everyone! 

Day 10!!!!  Woohoo!!!  Buuuttt.....I have a confession to make.  I apparently did not read my label well enough on my coconut milk and for the past 9 days have been drinking my coffee with coconut milk + carrageenan.  Boo.  BUT on the bright side, I was planning to do at least a W45 anyway, so no love lost!  I'm just going to keep going as if it is day 10 because the carrageenan was the only mistake I made and if I "start over" it will make me feel defeated.  And I'm not defeated.  :D AND by the way...coconut milk from the can + coffee = O.M.G.  I think I'm in heaven.  SO much better than the stuff from the box.  ODD tasted the hardened coconut milk from the fridge and said "What is this? Is it whooped cream?" Tasted it and said "yummm....this IS whooped cream!!!!  Mmmmm!!!!"  Score 1 for me! 

Yup, carrageenan is a big no no on a Whole30. The good news (besides you catching it and switching to compliant coconut milk) with you doing a Whole45 is now, without that boxed coconut milk, you'll have 35 consecutive days free of carrageenan.

doing well, but have a headache. WTH? Oh well, still have energy and it's not interfering with life. Been doing lots of walking since weather is mild for this time of year. Off to hot yoga, then cooking chicken and zoodles for dinner. I always make ALOT of chicken, so we have leftovers for more meals all week. Tonight or tomorrow I will cook a pile of beef, and some cabbage recipes I found on Nom Nom Paleo. (I am now wanting to get her book, but there's so many things free on the internet, I will wait).

I may have even more cooking to do if I volunteer to cook for a couple of families I know who have an ill wife/mom. The fun never ends....but I do like to cook. And having a dishwasher makes clean up tolerable!

Carry on. Oh, and it is amazing that I am still mostly AIP compliant, after added only a few things back since Oct. I dont really want most of the eliminated things, just maybe nightshades. I am waiting until after this W30 to add those back, since I know my vacation eating had some things that were not great. (Chocolate, unknown food additives, did I mention chocolate?)

Oh yeah, off to yoga!

Day 10! No problem! Ok, no problem with staying on track with food. I am having a different issue. I seem to be constipated. I was fine the first 5 days then everything stopped. I want to go at least once a day not once every other day or less. I don't know what to do. I haven't had the energy to exercise as much as I would like too. Anyone else having issues?

Lara - Please stay.  No lurking occasionally.

Do I totally suck, not cooking special foods for my special needs kid?  The doctor in me says, he's got leaky gut as bad as any of us and he needs to heal.  In healing the autism and associated mood disorders may improve.  But the mommy in me says feed the baby.

Kelly, thank you for the encouragement! Today is Day One again for me. So here I am again posting. I guess my Whole30 will be a Whole40!

Also, being a parent of 5 children, a grandmother to 7, and a preschool teacher for 10 years, I have to say that feeding your son this healthy diet is an excellent thing! I bought NomNomPaleo and Michelle Tam has two children who eat the same food that she and her husband eat. (By the way, this book is worth its weight in gold! I really love it!) Maybe you might like to read more about raising "Paleo" kids. It must be hard with autism, though. I teach music from my home and occasionally have the opportunity to work with autistic

children. It's a challenge, but I love it. They teach me so much, so the give-and-take is mutual.

Here's an interesting website I found. http://www.thepaleomom.com/paleo-for-kids I'm sure there are many more.

So good to be here. I love the way everybody is so encouraging! It makes it hard to quit!

Lara

I'm just going to keep going as if it is day 10 because the carrageenan was the only mistake I made and if I "start over" it will make me feel defeated.  And I'm not defeated.  :D

I love your attitude, Sklane! "I am not going to feel defeated." That has got to be my motto for today!

@ Lara- Sorry to hear about the snafoo...but I agree with everyone.....one blip is just that, a blip.  If you really want to make it happen, we're all here to support you through day 39! 

@Sklane and Tazschick2000 - Well, the plight of kids and sugar.  My work life is dedicated to pediatrics and work around pediatric obesity projects comes along with the package.  I congratulate you both for recognizing that the kids have a desire to eat all things sugar.  Have either of you heard of the Ferber method for sleep training?  Some agree with it while others don't.  I'm not debating it here, just simply moving the principles forward to say that as parents you have ultimate control.  Children will eat, when they are hungry, (like they will sleep when they are tired) eventually.  But they can be smarter and have longer bouts of endurance for whining than parents have tolerance to listen to whining (or crying).  Point being, pick your battles, set your intentions, and stick to your guns.  Eventually they will learn that it's a non-negotiable option and whining won't work.  Remember if you don't do it now, you won't be able to master if for them later. 

Having said that, please remember that teaching balance to children is just that, balance.  Treats are not the ultimate evil.  Nor should they be a reward (a habit I'm trying to break for me).  They are on occasion just that, a treat.  So offer them treats with sugar as just that.  Treats.  Not daily, but on special occasions, or once a week, or whatever you determine is best for your family. 

As far as daycare, I would be having a conversation with their day care providers.  That should not for any child be a daily staple.  They need to find something else, universally.   Good success with your efforts!!!

@Greek: Thank you for the encouraging words. It's a Whole40 for me!

I agree with everything you wrote about parents and children. This is great advice. Something I wish I had while I was raising mine. Choose your battles. Keep things in balance, etc. You said it all. Well said!

Regarding kids and sugar...kids are much more in love with sweetness -- it's biological. Something that's FAR too sweet for an adult, a kid will gulp right down and ask for more.

And the thing is...food companies know this. They use this. They can make up 10 or 20 batches of pudding, all with varying levels of sweetness, bring kids in for taste testing, and put the one out that hits the bliss point (that perfect sweetness that's not too much, and leaves you wanting more). 

And that goes for adults too. Food companies SET OUT to make their food addictive, whether it's chips or cookies or cereal or any processed food. That's why a part of you shouldn't feel bad when you react to processed food by EATING ALL THE THINGS: It was designed to make you EAT ALL THE THINGS. (Why you brought it into your sphere of influence to begin with--that's another matter. :P )

And someone pointed out that food itself is not evil. You are not a bad person for eating an Oreo, or a bag of Doritos. Food has no moral value. 

Proud of everyone for making food choices that (if not now, will eventually) make you feel better. :D

I Love this post! Well said! It speaks to me directly because I have binge eating disorder. And why? Because of sugar. I know it so well. It's really good to educated about this stuff, but when the emotions kick in, that's when I need to be so very careful. Maybe I'll come here and post instead of going out to eat _________ (anything sweet!).

Day 10! No problem! Ok, no problem with staying on track with food. I am having a different issue. I seem to be constipated. I was fine the first 5 days then everything stopped. I want to go at least once a day not once every other day or less. I don't know what to do. I haven't had the energy to exercise as much as I would like too. Anyone else having issues?

I had this same problem the first time around and found some releif with taking/using extra oils and magnesium supplementation in the evenings. However, this time around, there is no problem at all and in fact a little the opposite. The difference? I cut out NUTS totally. First time, I was generous with my nut portions and this has always been a go-to snack for me. This time, I had a closed-fist portion of almonds and macadamia on Day 3 and then had terrible gas. So, no more. Since then, all has been flowing nicely.

Checking in for day 9.  Stopped at Trader Joe's on my way home from work for more fresh veggies, etc.  So far, Day 10 is going well, although I'm starting to get a hint of GERD, which is disappointing.  I haven't taken Protonix for 3 days now, and am thinking maybe I'm trying to go off it too quickly. 

Have a great day, everybody!

P.S.  Lara -- glad you're back.

Walked by my snack machine at work and decided I wanted a clementine! Go me for not wanting the candy, but I will not have the clementine either because it's still the sugar dragon.

Day ten going well. I didn't get lunch until 2 after breakfast at 8 because of a crisis at work, but still ate what I brought and ate it slowly instead of inhaling as I usually would have. I also didn't feel all that hungry between that time, at least nor steamed fish and broccoli hungry, which I am happy about.

Today is Day 11 for me (and my boyfriend). Doing great! No cheats, no side effects, no cravings, just scooting along! I feel much less bloated, have more energy and my workouts are getting stronger. I can see that I look better  - and that motivates me too! Foods have been easy and yummy. The past few days are the first that I haven't needed snacks between breakfast and lunch so that is a WIN for me!

Hope everyone is doing great!

Day 6 completed!!!:)

I have been pretty tired all day despite of having had 8,5 hours of sleep.

Went to Ikea, and took my lunch with me and just bought a bottle of water. The food did not even tempt me one little bit, which was good.

Cravings of any kind have not kicked in yet.

One thing I have done since starting the W30 is to practice gratitude. Each day I find some to be truly thankful for.

Today I am thankful that I found Whole 30. It was through my son finding Crossfit & becoming a coach that I found out about paleo lifestyle and then W30.

I have done several diets that work fine for the duration of the diet, but never help after I go back to eating real food. This time I am learning life time skills for healthy eating & how certain foods affect me.

I am also loving finding new recipes& ditching all processed food. I am trying new veggies. Bought cabbage, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts & zucchini today. Doing lots of prep today then heading off to deliver food to patients with AIDS or cancer. Feeling amazing!!

Thanks whole 30 & everyone on this thread!

Still going strong, but I am hungry today! I really do want a piece of chocolate! I'm planning on going to Pilates after work tonite, hopefully I don't just get home and crash! I won't get back from the class until 8pm, which is kind of late for getting dinner ready. Oh well! I have lots of salad stuff and roasted chicken and avocado, so that's what  plan to whip up after class

Day 10 almost over!

Archived