January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Day 11 for me too!! I could have KILLEDE for sugar earlier this evening...BUT this is a DRY home :P Tomorrow is going to be a challenge...my friend is celebrating his 51st B Day...of course it's my treat to what ever he wants...soooo he wants Korean, wine and carrot cake....hmmm? 

Grandma Carolyn    

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The website Lara suggested for Paleo kids (thank you, Lara) is a good one full of ideas and recipes.  Not many are Whole30 compliant though.  Hopefully, I will have it together enough in a week or two, after I've streamlined my kitchen routine, to be able to make some snacks for the kids.  

Not feeling too Zen these days.  I know I have a lot of weight to lose (90 pounds) and this process will take time, but I'm not SEEING any progress.  Yes, I feel my energy increasing.  I feel less pain.  I was actually able to eat pineapple without pain in my mouth from my Sjogren's Syndrome.  But, here's the un-Zen thing, I was hoping to SEE a difference. I usually lose weight in my face first but there has been no change. My fingers are still puffy in the morning.  My clothes aren't looser.  I could barely get through the first 10 minutes of the beginners yoga DVD.  What lesson is this frustration supposed to be teaching me?

Ok.  Thanks for listening.  Now I'll go breathe and just be.  And try to do the next right thing.

@Kelly M - I feel your pain.  So far, I haven't really seen much either.  I am staying away from the scale, so I don't know.  I read this updated version of the timeline:  http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/  They say that on day 8-9, your pants can get tighter!  Read the post.  It made me feel better.  

Day 10 down!  I can see why days 10-11 are the ones where people quit.  A few times today, I caught myself thinking, "Okay, I've learned to eat better, why can I just have some cheese or chocolate and then continue to eat this way.  That should work, right?"  I've managed to stay on track.  I really want to finish this and have those bragging rights.  Usually, I don't see my weight loss, if I can manage any, through to the end.  

My dinner plans were derailed, but I made myself a BLT lettuce wrap with avocado and homemade mayo.  I think it will be a great quick option in the future.

We're 1/3 there!

Thankful to be done with day 10!  1/3 of the way there : )  The most noticable thing for me right now is my dreams.  I have not dreamed at all about eating something non compliant but I dream ALL.  NIGHT.  LONG.  Very vivid and detailed dreams.  I wake up feeling as if I haven't slept well at all.  Very strange....   I remember having a few 'food' dreams during the first whole30 but nothing like this.

My next big concern is a wedding I am going to on Saturday.  Passing up wedding cake will be HARD!

@Kelly M, I hear ya! I want to eat healthily but weight loss is definitely a priority too! I'm feeling less puffy...but then I'll pass a mirror :/ Had a minor panic yesterday reading the post about how many more calories someone is eating, then read the article someone else posted in response to that, which made me feel better but also made me wonder how I'm going to tackle weightloss when this 30 days is over! Obviously I'll use many of the things I'm learning here but it's going to take some tweaking to work out what good "normal" eating will be for me, I think! Will just keep chugging away and think about strategies I can live with so that I can lose weight, be healthy and make it sustainable!

On the upside, I'm finding this pretty cruisy! I'm not hungry AT ALL. The only times I want to reach for something off plan is generally because it would be more sociable to have it, so it's generally just been a passing thought and I reach for water :) I'm into day 11 and while I wouldn't say I am feeling amazing, I'm definitely feeling pretty good! It's so hot here atm (46*C) and I'm getting a few headaches but I'm not sure if it's the plan or just the heat!! I'm cooking for me and hubby but I'm not finding that a big problem, which shocks me because I am NOT the most enthusiastic cook. Made butter chicken in the slow cooker yesterday (haha, slow cooker, in this heat!!) and it was delicious! Whole 30 compliant of course, but tasted really sweet! Yummy! Supposed to be a cool change tomorrow, so as soon as that kicks in I'm going to work on restarting my excersise regime! Was in a really good routine till about 6 months ago, when everything fell in a hole! Feels good to be getting on top of things and taking care of myself again :D

Someone asked about the Spicy Tuna Cakes  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/31214225453/paleo-eats-9-8-12     I didn't realize you couldn't use canned tuna on Whole30 and I was short so I used one can and one packet.    I'm thinking if that is the "worst" thing I have during this cheat I'm doing pretty good.    I really don't think I would have made it this far without the amazing resources here.  Great recipe ideas here on the forums as well as online.    www.nomnompaleo.com has a Korean Short Rib recipe that will please anyone even not on Whole 30.    Feel great and 10 days have come and gone really fast.   

@ Kelly

I can relate to your plight.  My first Whole 30 - just about this time I felt like I was actually larger than when I started.  It passed in a few days - most of it was generalized bloating.  In fact, I remember writing in a desperate attempt to figure out why I felt like I was gaining weight not losing it - asking for help.  So, hang in there.  We are currently in the "bloated" stage of the phase.  I'm with you, although not as bad as the first go round.

I will also say that Whole 30 experts repeatedly tell us this is not a weight loss plan.  That is not the intent of the plan.  I of course (as probably many of us) are using this plan to do exactly what they say is not the intent.  For me, that constant reinforcement of what this plan *isn't* almost had me quitting in the first go round.  But then I thought - what *is* this plan?  It's all about re-tapping into hunger and satiety.  About finding nutritional balance in meals.  And that definitely is something that NO DIET does for you.  Not one.  So here's one thing for sure.  It is highly unlikely if you can tap into your satiety and hunger cues, eating well, that you will gain actual weight.  It is far more likely that you will retrain your habits and then feeling better you can incrementally begin to live a more active lifestyle.  As you do, your body will shift, and perhaps you may lose weight, likely you will.  Unfortunately this is not a quick fix.  This is a long term solution to retrain our processes.

Having said that, many people,....many many many people......lose weight doing Whole 30 and we won't know how well we did until the end of the 30 days.  In fact, since I'm such a stats junkie, I am happy to accumulate everyone's results and tally J6 groups (that's about 70 of you) final results at the end of your 30 days, whenever that may be.

And one final thought on weight loss and Whole 30....What have you got to lose?  Another 20 days?  You likely could lose approximately 3-6 pounds if you were "dieting" and working out the 'old fashioned' way of calorie in calorie out.  So if you continue on this path for another 20 days, you still won't be X pounds down.  You won't be at your goal.  The 20 days are just a blip in the big picture. 

(this is part of my continual self talk).  So hang in there! 

Ok gang, day 11 or 12.  Mercy I'm losing count.  None the less, I am recommitting tonight to refocus on satiety.  I've been compliant on what I'm eating, but I haven't been as compliant on the snack issue. Meaning, I ate dried apple slices (compliant) in between meals.  No real reason, I just wanted to chew on something.  Trouble is, I wasn't really hungry so I've forgotten the principal "ask yourself if you're hungry enough for fish and broccoli and if so, eat".  and just succumbed to just eating.  So, that needs a re-check!  Much the same as my blathering above. 

Good strength all!

I have had the busiest week. I barely had time to eat. However I am astonished that eating by Whole30 rules is like second nature. I don't have sugar cravings as much and I am definitely less tempted by other people's junk food. My skin feels clearer and I have more energy than I could have ever imagined!

Day 12!! I was so glad to read the last several posts! I can absolutely relate to ALL of it!! I was feeling pretty puffy and defeated...then vula! not sure exactly sure WHAT happened...but I feel much better this morning. I mean you know things are getting bad when considering knocking on your neighbors door and asking if they have any XYZ..??? (I didn't of course...)

I need to share something very important...I was sorta on the verge of planning this "justified" Birthday celebration with an assortment of eh...lets just say NON- W30 compliant foods. I have re-jiggered my little plan...and I feel fantastic about it. Yay!! :P

Point here is...an off roading event (for me anyway) STARTS in my head...SO I changed my thinking...and hence changed my plan.

Truth is I needed to have a conversation with myself...and I asked "Do you REALLY want to eat XYZ on Thursday night and wake up on Friday feeling....well blah...and BACK at DAY 1 AGAIN?"   NO!! 

Stay strong all...THANK you all for being here!!!

Grandma Carolyn :P  

Sklane - I have a sugar junkie of a 5 year old too. And a 1.5 year old who is just a natural born paleo eater. Kids are just different.

We have some firm rules that we don't bend. For example what we in Sweden call Lördagsgodis. It means Saturday Candy. In Sweden the kids eat candy on Saturdays. ONLY on Saturdays. And only in one sitting, of course, not all day long. Left-over candy from that sitting is either thrown out or saved for next Saturday. You can tell her that is how all kids in Sweden have it. (She will likely feel that they are super deprived and feel so sorry for the poor kids in Sweden! :D ) My daughter gets her Saturday Candy after dinner andthen we put her to bed right before the well documented sugar crash sets in.

I will allow ice cream as a dessert on Fridays or the weekend, and maybe a cookie once on the weekend too. On regular days my kids eat fruit for a small mid-morning snack, and sandwiches, crepes or mini meals for an afternoon snack. We don't do random snacking, it is on a schedule. For dessert during the week they get fruit and nuts.

With the 5 year old it is a constant reinforcement of the rules (from our side) and testing of boundarys (on her side). But we have learned that the family life is just so much better if we stand our ground with this.

Oh, yeah, and I am still on board the Whole30 train. Day 21 today and going strong, woot woot!

Working with myself on getting to bed earlier and also on what I snack on in the evenings. I am overdoing it a bit with the fruit and nuts and struggling with replacing it with a proper mini meal.

Boun appetito!

Hi all, I don't normally check in here but I do lurk. Though I would like to come and participate more.  I've been reading a lot of great comments/thoughts and suggestions here. 

I normally track my meals on My Fitness Pal but because it makes you aware of the caloric intake it makes me subconscious for lack of a better word. 

So if no one minds, I'd like to track here, starting today.  This would be my Day 11.

Breakfast

2 eggs fried

Bacon

fresh tomato

fried mushrooms

avocado

* I think I would have been just as happy if not happier with just 2 scrambled egg whites

Morning Tea

herbal tea

banana

Lunch

pumpkin soup

afternoon tea

peach

black cup of tea

Dinner

small piece of steak

salad and prawn

I drank 3 litres of water

Good morning!

Day 11 (except for my accident noodle), and I feel great! I, too, was bloated for the last few days. I re-introduced nightly jogs in my schedule on Monday, and today I woke up with some of my "pooch" (you ladies know what I'm talking about!) missing from my belly. GREAT feeling!

Big win for me already today -- I totally enjoyed my coffee! I mean just as much I used to with two packs of splenda and some french vanilla creamer. Finally have my mornings back!

Someone asked about the Spicy Tuna Cakes  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/31214225453/paleo-eats-9-8-12     I didn't realize you couldn't use canned tuna on Whole30 and I was short so I used one can and one packet.    I'm thinking if that is the "worst" thing I have during this cheat I'm doing pretty good.    I really don't think I would have made it this far without the amazing resources here.  Great recipe ideas here on the forums as well as online.    www.nomnompaleo.com has a Korean Short Rib recipe that will please anyone even not on Whole 30.    Feel great and 10 days have come and gone really fast.   

You can use canned tuna you just have to make sure it doesn't have any soy in it. Costco's albacore tuna doesn't have soy. Also Costco's canned salmon doesn't have soy either.  FYI some teas also have soy so read labels carefully. I am glad you are feeling great on day 10.

I had this same problem the first time around and found some releif with taking/using extra oils and magnesium supplementation in the evenings. However, this time around, there is no problem at all and in fact a little the opposite. The difference? I cut out NUTS totally. First time, I was generous with my nut portions and this has always been a go-to snack for me. This time, I had a closed-fist portion of almonds and macadamia on Day 3 and then had terrible gas. So, no more. Since then, all has been flowing nicely.

Thank you for the support. I am not eating nuts during my whole30 either. I was wondering which type of magnesium to take and how much. I am wondering if my "issue" could have anything to do with butternut squash. I have decided to take it out for a few days and then bring it back in and see if there is a difference.

Day 11! Only 19 to go! Super excited. I ran last night and finally had no pain in my body like it did the first few times I tried to go back to running. So that's the good news. The bad is I was woken up at 12:30 last night and pretty much tossed and turned the rest of the night. I am super tired now. Not good as I work a a nanny. I also can't seem to kick the cookie dream. I really want a chocolate chip cookie! I don't have one and won't eat one but I still want one.

Good luck everyone on day 11, we can do this!

Ok, so I tried the spaghetti - spaghetti squash.  Not a fan.  I think that may be one treat I allow myself post-W30 from time to time.  I do think it would maybe be good in place of potatoes in breakfast hash though.  Been having some more KATT moments and lack of energy again.  Just feeling kind of "blah" today.  Going to try and make it to the Farmer's Market this weekend to get some good compliant foods, but it is 40 miles away and only lasts half a day so we will see.  I checked our local health food/vitamin/naturalist store yesterday for compliant foods.  Big bust.  I'm still stuck on why it has to be so dang hard to find whole, un-messed-around-with foods.  The spaghetti sauce at the store without sugar and other junk added was $7.  The crap spaghetti sauce was $1.88.  There's the reason we are all fat and unhealthy.  You would think it would be easier and cheaper for the manufacturers to just make food without adding a bunch of crap to it. Blah.  In my dream last night I ate some really yummy non-compliant food, but now I can't remember what it was.  ***Sigh***  Leftover fake spaghetti for lunch today and probably tonight.  Maybe I'll cook that chicken in the refrigerator for tomorrow.  Oh - by the way - Sanderson Farms whole chickens have carrageenan in them.  Why?  Again....what is the point?  There is no reason for a fresh, whole chicken to have additives.  Stupid.

Have a good day 11 everyone.

Day 11 and I'm feeling a bit nauseous.  For breakfast this morning I fixed sauteed (w/ coconut oil) summer squash, carrots, broccoli, and sweet potato, and then poached 3 eggs (cooked 'em too long -- darn!).  I definitely need to try some new recipes.  As per usual, I fixed enough of breakfast to take to work for lunch, but I'm seriously wondering if I can eat that again.  A bit of a change for lunch, leftover ground beef and a bit of leftover chicken with plum tomatoes.  Maybe it will taste good by the time lunch rolls around.

Me again.  This morning I took a Protonix pill because I was getting a hint of GERD yesterday and just generally felt sort of crummy.  I hadn't taken them for 3 days previously, which is the longest I've gone in YEARS without taking it or some such drug i.e. Nexium, etc.  Then today I feel nauseous, and all of a sudden I'm wondering ... what are the side effects of Protonix?  So I look up on the net and see that nausea can be a side effect.  It also has been shown to cause rare kinds of cancer (mostly stomach) in rats who were given it for long periods.  No doctor has ever told me anything about my trusty stomach pill be possibly carcinogenic.  Goodbye, Protonix.

Having a great day, feeling positive. People are talking about whether they will lose weight or not. I know I am losing because my pants are looser. My plan is to use this whole30 as a jump off point for losing the 40 extra pounds I am carrying. That means I will not be reintroducing the sugar and bread, gluten or no gluten. This type of eating will become my lifestyle. I am already lactose intolerant so I never eat cream cheese because I know what it does to me. If I can see bad carbs in the same way, then I hope to stay away from them.

Someone close to me has given up alcohol , I think the effects of carbs are just as bad for the body. One just has to make up their mind to do the right thing for themselves .

I am not a talkative person so I think that is all I can say today

Have a great day

I am enjoying reading all of your comments. I relate to wanting to lose weight even though it's not the intent. I relate to it all starting in my head. I relate to wanting to help my family eat better - once I get this figured out.

This W30, I have been more vigilant about trying new vegetables. Some I like and some I don't (yes I'm talking about you parsnips). But I'm trying to embrace the change instead of white knuckling my way through this experience.

Lunch yesterday was a perfect example. Early am meeting. Rushed out the door and didn't pack lunch. Short lunch, so I couldn't head home. During my first W30 I went to a convenience store and found boiled eggs, fruit, and cashews that were compliant. Not the template, but I stayed compliant. It was a major victory for me at the time.

But that isn't sustainable. I must have options for days like that. So this time when the same thing happened I remembered that Subway also makes salads to order. So that's what I did. Is it possible that the grilled chicken and vinegar weren't 100% compliant? It's possible. But this round I'm okay with not knowing. I want to continue eating as clean as possible for Whole Life - not just these 30 days. So this round, my salad was a major victory for me.

I'm trying new recipes from non nom paleo and well fed. I'm starting to get some energy and less gas. My feet don't hurt as much in the morning and at night. I'm still bloated, but that could have another source.

I guess I just want you all to hang in there. I ended up losing 13 lbs last time - but I have a bunch to lose (40 - 50). You will feel better!

Today I decided I was tired of the same baked chicken and veggies I've been eating since Saturday.  So I cut them all up, dumped them in a pot with crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and coconut milk.  Added Italian seasoning and parsley and it was quite tasty!  And warm : )  Chili is on the menu for the weekend.  Also planning to make some egg cups for quick breakfasts.

Going to a wedding Saturday and praying that I can avoid all the temptations I will have there.

Archived