January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Hi Everyone, not been on her for a while. Been so busy but I've just read through some of your posts and it's great to hear about all your experiences.

Day 11 almost over. I have so much more energy and my sugar cravings have definitely gone - made a huge chocolate cake last night for a friend & I wasn't tempted to sneak a bit - Yay! :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 7 completed!!!:)

A bit tired, but otherwise feeling ok.

I made cauliflower rice pilaf from Well Fed this evening, and it was quite tasty, I had it together with The best chicken you'll ever eat from the same book which is REALLY yummy!

But that isn't sustainable. I must have options for days like that. So this time when the same thing happened I remembered that Subway also makes salads to order. So that's what I did. Is it possible that the grilled chicken and vinegar weren't 100% compliant? It's possible. But this round I'm okay with not knowing. I want to continue eating as clean as possible for Whole Life - not just these 30 days. So this round, my salad was a major victory for me.

Unfortunately the grilled chicken is really not compliant. It has sugar, msg, and possibly soy in it (assuming this is in the US...no idea outside the US). This is information available on the internet. Really I would nix all fast food places as options on a W30. Stomach irritants like msg and soy do constitute a restart or at least and extension. It really stinks that we can't trust something as simple seeming as chicken but thus is the sad state of our country.

Everyday after work I ask my 4 year old son how his day was.  He responds with 2 thumbs down (not happy), 1 up / 1 down (ok), or 2 thumbs up (very happy).

It appears that Team J6 is rapidly and collectively transitioning from 2 thumbs down to 1 up / 1 down.

Let's all get through the weekend.  Then it will be 2 thumbs up for the remainder of this short, yet seemingly endless, 30 days!

Everyday after work I ask my 4 year old son how his day was.  He responds with 2 thumbs down (not happy), 1 up / 1 down (ok), or 2 thumbs up (very happy).

It appears that Team J6 is rapidly and collectively transitioning from 2 thumbs down to 1 up / 1 down.

Let's all get through the weekend.  Then it will be 2 thumbs up for the remainder of this short, yet seemingly endless, 30 days!

Still 2 thumbs up here! Come on, y'all, let's rally. We can do this!!!!!

76e3ec001f4711e2818e22000a1fa52c_7.jpg

Today was a test, that's for sure. At my work we had a big meeting and I was helping prepare, which meant putting together plates of food--lasagna, cookies, chocolate, granola. Yeah. But I honestly liked the test. I wasn't tempted but mentally I missed participating in it. It's a social thing to eat with other people and I didn't. But as for deeply craving these things, that didn't happen once.

My boss also emptied a box of mini chocolate bars and had them out for people and at least 6 people ate them in front of me today. 

It's weird that I just didn't care. I was full and satisfied with myself. I am glad today I had the strength. Each day is different.

I have now started feeling a bit nauseous as the day progresses.  I see two other people are feeling nauseated today as well.  Is this something that is common at this point in the process or is this just a coincidence?

I also have been feeling off for the past 2 days. And my BM's have been loose (like really loose). I want to re-read the affects your body goes through when it heals, this might be the reason why?

Hello fellow J6ers. I haven't checked in for a while but have been reading your posts. Glad to read that most of us are turning that uncomfortable corner and headed into a more manageable w30.  I was so tempted to slip around days 7-8, really missing that evening glass of red wine! I am glad I resisted and now finding the day to day so much easier. My energy is up and the fog is clearing. Hang in there everyone- I am so impressed and inspired by your dedication to this process.  This forum had really helped me keep it up- Thank you! 

Wedding survival tip...find out what they are serving...thankfully these days most events cater to a variety of "needs/ requests" pick and choose as if you LIFE depended on it. I have a disease that requires me to be on a VERY low sodium diet...so I plan and ask. If the options look eh...then eat a little before you go...and have a plan for when you return home...you WILL be hungry!!  Text a life line too...i find that super helpful.

Most importantly ENJOY the joyous occasion...assuming you like weddings.

Best of luck

Grandma Carolyn

Tonight was a struggle for me. I was late getting home because of traffic, and I did NOT want to come home and cook. I called my husband for moral support getting past the fast food places (he's not on W30, but he's really supportive). I pulled the big bowl of soup out of the fridge and put some in a pan, then added some zoodles to change it up. While it was heating, I made up a batch of guac to top it with, and that was my dinner. Minimal prep, minimal cooking. 

I feel more tired now than I have for the past few days. Not sure why.

EvaK: I made the cauli rice pilaf last week. Isn't it delicious?

Xine23- same here. Not feeling great today. Spoke too soon yesterday. Not sure if this is carb flu or really coming down with something, but was totally sidelined today. Disappointed I didn't get to try the chocolate chili I made for dinner tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will be better & I'll already have dinner ready.

Day 12!! I was so glad to read the last several posts! I can absolutely relate to ALL of it!! I was feeling pretty puffy and defeated...then vula! not sure exactly sure WHAT happened...but I feel much better this morning. I mean you know things are getting bad when considering knocking on your neighbors door and asking if they have any XYZ..??? (I didn't of course...)

I need to share something very important...I was sorta on the verge of planning this "justified" Birthday celebration with an assortment of eh...lets just say NON- W30 compliant foods. I have re-jiggered my little plan...and I feel fantastic about it. Yay!! :P

Point here is...an off roading event (for me anyway) STARTS in my head...SO I changed my thinking...and hence changed my plan.

Truth is I needed to have a conversation with myself...and I asked "Do you REALLY want to eat XYZ on Thursday night and wake up on Friday feeling....well blah...and BACK at DAY 1 AGAIN?"   NO!! 

Stay strong all...THANK you all for being here!!!

Grandma Carolyn :P  

Yes, Grandma Carolyn, well Said! Do I really want to eat__________ and wake up feeling blah (and here I would say, remorseful, sad, angry with myself, guilty) and on top of it all, be back at Day One again!

I'm going to keep reminding myself of this tonight. I made it through last night compliant, though I almost drank some Teechino, which is made with malted grains! I made myself a cup, and was just about to sit down with it, when the thought entered my mind: "What's in this stuff, anyway?" I checked the ingredients and poured it down the drain. Ate some pineapple instead.

Today has gone well, too, so far. I'm going to keep the above thoughts in mind. Everyone has been so helpful. I appreciate it so much! This is really a great board!

Good night for now,

Lara

EvaK: I made the cauli rice pilaf last week. Isn't it delicious?

Yes, it was yummy and I liked the slight crunch it had. My children were disgusted by the smell though, but that could have been the cumin as well. I sure didn't like cauliflower when I was that age, but now I love it!

Go you for pulling through and cooking something even if you did not feel like it and who cares if it was no the most creative dish ever!!!:)

Breakfast: 3 egg muffins (zucchini, chicken sausage), avocado, banana

Lunch: shrimp stir fry, apple, sunflower seed butter

Post-workout: cashew cookie larabar

Dinner: chicken caesar with spinach, pistachios

2 hour dance rehearsal 

just checking in 

I'm also struggling like some others at the moment.  I feel like I have the "hungrys" I'm not quite sure what I'm missing thats making me feel this way but I'm hoping to get it sorted out soon.

My Day 12

Breakfast

2 eggs

chorizo

zuchinni

white onion

all fried in coconut oil

black coffee

Morning Tea

rockmelon 2  - ¼ slices

cherries 5

peach 2 slices

water

Lunch

Steamed Veggies

2 small tins of tuna

banana

Afternoon tea

5 dates

black coffee

nuts (closed fist full)

Dinner

Chicken breast

¼ avocado

mushrooms

zucchini
fried in coconut oil

I'm not really sure what to add/change/take away.  

Day 13. Just starting. But I checked the timeline again, and I seem to be on schedule: boundless energy, and give me a damn Twinkie/cheeseburger/insert craving here. Well, the energy hasn't hit me today, but maybe I'll perk up as the day progresses...

I just have to keep making it through one day at a time till I'm not tired and don't have to think so hard about food. That's what I keep telling myself.

Have a good day, tweeners! 

Yay!! Day 13...Happy to report the Birthday celebration went well...and being the easygoing friend that he he totally understood the change from carrot cake & wine to a small container of cut up fresh fruit (complete with a birthday candle ;) ) for him...and tea. He ordered the main meal & I just paid the check...I had sockeye salmon and broccli rabe with garlic and olive oil...delish!!!

So my thoughts...I'm pretty darn happy I decided not to use the celebration Birthday as an excuse to have cake and wine. I ran this morning under a simply gorgeous stary sky and a big beautiful moon. Ahhhhh...Truth is IF I had decided to eat the cake and wine...chances are I would have missed out on that beautiful run this morning. 

I am strenghtening my "better" decision muscle!!! yay

Thank you for your support and feeback..it is all greatly appreciated!!

Have a blessed day

Grandma Carolyn :D

Fat questions....I'm pretty sure I'm not getting enough. All I'm getting is what I cook with and all I cook with is Coconut Oil and once in awhile Olive Oil (and a little goes a long way with both of those). I don't like the taste of Olive Oil drizzled on my veggies. I don't like avocados or olives. I tried Ghee and yuck. I like nuts, but don't want to be eating those at every meal. Any other recommendations as to how I can get the right amount of fat. Even on my thyroid meds and Biotin, my hair is falling out, so I really need to figure this out.

So I just can't handle anymore eggs. I've been eating lunch and dinner food for breakfast for like 3 days. My husband says the kitchen smells gross in the morning! haha! I told him to broaden his food horizens. ;)

@karensa, maybe some sunflower seed butter? Great replacement for peanut butter. Good on apples! Also, if you're a coffee or tea drinker, maybe try some coconut oil in your cup, too. Fats are the hardest for me to get, too!

I'm also struggling like some others at the moment.  I feel like I have the "hungrys" I'm not quite sure what I'm missing thats making me feel this way but I'm hoping to get it sorted out soon.

My Day 12

Breakfast

2 eggs

chorizo

zuchinni

white onion

all fried in coconut oil

black coffee

Morning Tea

rockmelon 2  - ¼ slices

cherries 5

peach 2 slices

water

Lunch

Steamed Veggies

2 small tins of tuna

banana

Afternoon tea

5 dates

black coffee

nuts (closed fist full)

Dinner

Chicken breast

¼ avocado

mushrooms

zucchini

fried in coconut oil

I'm not really sure what to add/change/take away.  

Here's some thoughts:

- Your teas - are you having them out of habit, or are you truly hungry?  (Hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli.)  Being hungry in between meals can be a sign of not eating enough at your earlier meals. Maybe try the higher end of the meal template at your main meals: 2 palms of protein, 3 cups of vegetables, and the appropriate amount of fat, and see if that helps?

- If you make those changes and you're still hungry in between meals, have a mini-meal that contains a protein and fat. No fruit - limit your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to include with or immediately after your main meals only.  Nuts are considered a fat source on a Whole30.

- Did lunch have a fat?  Unclear to me: if not, be sure to add the appropriate amount of compliant fat.

- Are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Fat questions....I'm pretty sure I'm not getting enough. All I'm getting is what I cook with and all I cook with is Coconut Oil and once in awhile Olive Oil (and a little goes a long way with both of those). I don't like the taste of Olive Oil drizzled on my veggies. I don't like avocados or olives. I tried Ghee and yuck. I like nuts, but don't want to be eating those at every meal. Any other recommendations as to how I can get the right amount of fat. Even on my thyroid meds and Biotin, my hair is falling out, so I really need to figure this out.

Have you made homemade mayo?  That can be used on top of eggs, vegetables, even chili. Yum.http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/

Breakfast: 3 egg muffins (zucchini, chicken sausage), avocado, banana

Lunch: shrimp stir fry, apple, sunflower seed butter

Post-workout: cashew cookie larabar

Dinner: chicken caesar with spinach, pistachios

2 hour dance rehearsal 

just checking in 

Did lunch have 1-3 cups of vegetables? Unclear to me.

Larabar doesn't fit the template for a post workout snack.  Should be a protein and carb with little to no fat, and also no fruit. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. Further, Larabars are emergency food only on a Whole30.

Archived