January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for CrazyCow (turn down the holiday music) -  There are those moments in Whole30 where we need a bit of distraction to prevent us from putting pie in the pie hole.  You have been down this road three times.  Any guidance for us as we enter the abyss?

Hi Brenda2014, well, I don't know that I'm in any position to give guidance, but here's a few things that I know i picked up over the course of the last 3 W30s:

I really like Dallas and Melissa's inner check: would I like steamed fish and broccoli as much as I want this nice cherry pie that someone brought over for me, just to be lovely and nice? Usually, the answer was no, not really. Deconstruct the why of what you want. I hated sounding in my head like a petulant two year old ("because I waaaaant it!"), so that enabled me to walk away. I hate losing, and I was really competing with my own inner voice.

If you watch any television, a show I found I really enjoyed as a distraction was Drive-Ins, Diners, and Dives--bizarre, I know, but I was really fascinated by how much so close to Whole30 many foods featured actually were. It gave me ideas for the weekly cook up, as well--which was also a distraction of sorts, too.

I also made plans to do things I had not done in a long while. Often there were drinks served (think Jazz Clubs and College Football Championships), but I came to live with a fizzy water and lime in hand. Which I really like...so that was great, too...But the habit of being at a sporting event and having a pint and all sorts of snacking food...it's a hard pill to swallow. In fact, there was one very realistic dream I had over the W30 where I woke up convinced I had failed because I'd had a bunch of pints of horrible beer (as in not even beer I liked!) and nachos of all things! It was a relief to find that it had not, in fact, happened, but beware...those dreams you have a SO FREAKING REAL!  ;)

Get proper sleep, too. That's a big thing. Not a distraction, per se, but you will find you are better at dealing with all that goes on in the day much better. Same for exercise...make sure to get moving. My best 40 mile walk came on the heels of my second W30. I was better during the event itself, and I was faster in my recovery, too. Fitness, rest and food are all linked and your body will thrive as long as you keep that in mind.

I've been tossing around the idea of starting either January 2 or January 6.  The procrastinator in me shouts SIX and, knowing how much I need to be prepared to be successful, this seams like a wise choice. 

So, count me in Whole30'ers on January 6!

I have to admit, I'm already worried about how I'll manage this for the whole month.  It's my grandfather's 90th birthday Jan 19 and I have family coming in from all around the country to celebrate.  I'll be spending 4 days with my Mom and the two of us have been known to enjoy a glass (or 3) of wine.... 

Oh man, this is going to be a challenge alright.  I'm happy I'll have this group for support!

Hi Everyone!

I'm starting on Jan 6th as well. I really want to get red of my inflammation, sugar addiction, and my brain fog. I plan to do a Whole30+ and take this as far as I possibly can- perhaps until I reach my fitness goals.

Unfortunately for me the biggest pressure will be social. I'm in business school where recruiting happy hours are a normal thing. Hopefully water with lime or water with cucumber will tide me through.

Can't wait!

Greetings to curlygirl, relampago, stephanielorella, and nnekamolly!

Curlygirl - you need a plan for the January 19 visits.

Relampago - glad to see another repeat Whole30er joining our group.

NNekamolly -- the recruiting happy hours will be a challenge.  Perhaps you could have a strategy of never being without a glass full of bubbly water.

Welcome to all of our new team mates! This is great.

Am finishing up day 4 today....was a bit of a challenge as I did eat all compliant food but just a bit too much of them and did have lunch when I was not hungry :( I wanted a glass of wine in a bad way last night and talked myself out of it....Having the prepared veggies and plans for a Whole 30 dinner REALLY helped me not go off the tracks.

Sending positive thoughts to all getting ready to jump on for January 6!

Old habits die hard!!!

Best,

Cheryl

Thanks for the positive words Robert!  Always helpful and I jump on the forums to read our posts and others for motivation!!

My husband is doing great!  He is able to walk out of the kitchen with out grabbing something more easily than I when he is not hungry and just wants to snack:)    I have made sure to have cut up veggies in the fridge and some plain almond butter (nothing added not even salt) available for those "must have something' moments.

We are having a bit of snow/ice and very cold weather here in upstate NY for the next couple of days....hope everyone has a wonderful day!

So nice to see we have such a growing group for our Whole 30 in January!

Looks like this is the group for me! I was tossing around 1/1 or 1/2 start dates but figured I needed to get better prepared and want to start 1/6.

I had been Paleo for a little over a year. I got stuck with a few pounds to go so I decided to do the Whole30 last January. It was great! I had never felt better. Then March hit and it was all downhill from there. I've been more than off roading. I've been swimming in the abyss of all bad foods. It's time for me to get back to clean eating and good health.

Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

A little about me: 36 years old. 3 boys (ages 14, 12, 10). We are an active family. Baseball is our life but so are other school sports. Weekends are not fun to plan WHOLE30 food when you're spending full days at the fields. I CrossFit (gasp) and I love it. I'm not awesome at it but one day I hope to be. I love food. Even when it's not fried, sugarcoated or full of bread. And I blog. Mostly about my workouts but food too especially when it's clean living.

Now it's time to clean out my fridge and pantry. Looking forward to being part of Team J6!

Welcome Stephanie!  Glad to hear you are joining us climbing out of the abyss!!  You are in good company here.  Now, I am off to engage in multiple intense rounds of thrusters and pullups (gasp) ...  :)

How are all of our early starters doing?  Stay strong Cheryl.  

Good morning all!

Welcome all newcomers....I started W30  early and today is day 6!!

Day 5 was a success :)  and Im starting to sleep really WELL.  Love this. 

I guess I should probably give some background about me :)    I am 50 years old and over the past 3 years I've lost 60 pounds.  I have approximately 15 pounds to go to get to my goal weight, body fat , BMI. 

I have one son who is 28 ~ so am a empty nester ....

The past 6 months my husband and I have been eating "primal" and I've started at a cross fit gym in August ~ My body fat has decreased by 5% and I've dropped approx. 10 pounds.  Am at the point, where I need to tighten things up to get to the spot where I have hit my loss goal of 75 pounds and am maintaining my body weight....hence, the Whole 30. 

For me, the change will be no Friday night "cheat meal" with a Vodka/ Seltzer, no more cream in my coffee or the occasional yogurt and piece of cheese, no more dark chocolate after dinner.  We had stopped the grains and processed foods, diet sodas, sweets  6 months ago so that hurdle has been overcome.  Believe me, I know how difficult it is to kick the grain and sugar demons....I had many "food" dreams during those first few months.

Maybe it will help others to see what a "typical" food day is....so here is yesterdays food:

meal 1

2 eggs

3 slices nitrate free bacon

one small zucchini fried up in the bacon grease

meal 2

one can tuna drained

one hard boiled egg

paleo mayo on the tuna and egg

roasted red pepper and artichoke hearts

snack

small granny smith apple

handful of mixed nuts (no peanuts)

Meal 3

pot roast

sautéed kale

brussell sprouts with crumbled bacon

apple sauce (home made, no sugar , just spices)

Hope this helps and that everyone has a wonderful New Years Eve!!

Best

Cheryl

Maybe it will help others to see what a "typical" food day is....so here is yesterdays food:

meal 1

2 eggs

3 slices nitrate free bacon

one small zucchini fried up in the bacon grease

meal 2

one can tuna drained

one hard boiled egg

paleo mayo on the tuna and egg

roasted red pepper and artichoke hearts

snack

small granny smith apple

handful of mixed nuts (no peanuts)

Meal 3

pot roast

sautéed kale

brussell sprouts with crumbled bacon

apple sauce (home made, no sugar , just spices)

Hope this helps and that everyone has a wonderful New Years Eve!!

Best

Cheryl

Congrats on your progress so far! Sounds like you've come a long way.

Couple points on your food log:

- make sure your bacon contains no sugar or sweetener to be W30 compliant (nitrates are ok on a W30)

- on snacks, if you need a snack, it's usually an indication that you need to increase portion sizes in your earlier meals. Increasing vegetables could help. If you're truly hungry in between (you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a snack that is a mini-meal including a protein and fat

- watch mixed nuts ingredients: some contain non-compliant oil.

Happy New Year team J6!

Welcome all newcomers!

I am an early starter too, so I am on day 6 today. So far it's been pretty good. Yesterday I was snacky and stressad as we were prepping to host a NYE party, but I stuck to compliant food and I feel so, so happy about that this morning!

About me:

I am 39, married with two daughters (5 and 1.5) and living in Sweden. I have an inflammatory bowel disease called ulcerative colitis and despite being on rather high doses of immunosuppressants I was warned that I might have to remove my colon this fall. I started a whole30 on July 1st and made it to day 16. I off-roaded bit while on two week-long worktrips duri g september and november but still stayed fairly strict. Did another whole30 attempt in november and made it 18 days without chocolate. I have been strict paleo except the chocolate, that is my downfall. The diet has shifted all my lab values and a coloscopy confirmed this. The surgery is called off for now, and that is my main motivation for living this way. This time I want to do the full 30 days and I want to focus more on the meal template and my relationship with foo like stress eating, eating to relax etc. I look forward to sharing this experience with all of you amazing people!

Happy New Year all!

I'm so excited to do my second Whole 30-- currently refreshing my memory of all the good food guidelines and info in ISWF! Cleaning out the fridge tomorrow and Friday then stocking up and meal planning over the weekend.

Be well!

Hello everyone! I will be joining up again for my second whole 30. Last time it ended up being a whole 41. I extended the whole 30 because I was afraid of going it without rules. Re-entry wasn't great and so I'm back to the beginning again. This time I'll sign up for the emails and use the 30 days to better plan for what comes next.

As a die hard season ticket holder, I hate I will be watching the Auburn game on the 6th without the usual game food and alcohol. But it's more important to me to put my health first this year. So I look forward to getting to know you all. My last group was amazing and they really helped me push through. I enjoyed knowing others were in it with me and understood the struggles.

January 6th start date for my first Whole30!  My husband and I are going to do it together.  

I am 36, teach at a university, and have three kids (6, 4 and 2).  I started eating better and working out in May and this is exactly what I need to start the new year off correctly.

I am going to struggle with lunches, since I teach from 9:30-1:45 on MWF, so I will have to be very good about planning (and not resort to the fast food stops in the classroom building).

After reading through this thread, you have convinced me to sign up for the emails.  Excited to progress through this with you all!

Archived