January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

I was really upset yesterday about the morton salt, I wanted to throw in the towel. This is nearly impossible to do in real life, it is expensive, and I am cooking and washing dishes way too much!

I have moments of telling myself this is stupid, then changing my mind and telling myself to see how I feel at the end. I don't feel very different. Maybe a little less groggy in the morning, and a little less bloated.

Anyways, I've found some really great recipes that have produced some really wonderful 

"paleo" foods! I've discovered sweet potato and avocado in my breakfast scramble- delicious! I made well fed's chocolate chili and italian pork roast. I made the butternut squash soup from paleo pot and it is awesome! Also crock pot curry chicken from milk and cuddles.

Tomorrow for lunch I am having chicken with homemade mayo with a sprinkling of sunflower seeds and scallions, and I'll eat it in a lettuce wrap, along with the butternut squash soup.

I am definately not starving, this is just alot of work, and expensive. If I want to eat like this "most of the time" (good lord, I'm going back to the booze) I need to find some ways to balance the budget :/

It gets easier (and cheaper) as you learn what works for you. Remember the really strict aspect is just 30 days. It is worth it. I would encourage you to browse through the blog posts on the site and posts of the forum for ways to be better with your budget and ways to minimize your cooking/cleaning. What works for me personally is making lots of leftovers but not so many that I have no variety. If money is an issue cut out the optional things, prioritize meat, go for cheaper cuts, use the dirty dozen list, friend some farmers. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone plan to continue eating clean after they are done with whole30? Whether it be a modified version of Whole30 or along the lines of Paleo? My wife and I have been so inspired by the Whole30 plan that we have decided to continue it beyond the 30 days. 

Keep it up everyone. There are definitely hard days but it is worth it. 

I know you're not supposed to step on the scale but I weighed myself this morning and I am down 17.7 lbs since Jan 5th.

It works.

Does anyone plan to continue eating clean after they are done with whole30? Whether it be a modified version of Whole30 or along the lines of Paleo? My wife and I have been so inspired by the Whole30 plan that we have decided to continue it beyond the 30 days. 

I know you're not supposed to step on the scale but I weighed myself this morning and I am down 17.7 lbs since Jan 5th.

It works.

Definitely planning to keep it up! I've got a copy of "Your Personal Paleo Code" and I've got the strategies lined that look like they'll keep me going in the right direction (like intermittent fasting).

Wheat is on my avoid list probably forever and I'll figure that one out when(if!) I introduce things that simulate bread and crackers. Since I didn't clean my pantry or refrigerator or stop buying good bread or making pasta for my family, I've been up against the temptation all along and I'm fine. A few nights ago, I had sausage, tomato sauce and spinach (that my husband baked with cheese into our favorite homemade pan pizza for himself and our sons) baked in a dish with an egg cracked and baked on top. Totally satisfying.

I keep thinking too of what my mom, born and raised in Italy, said about sweets--she could count on one hand the number of times a year she had anything sweet growing up. We all need to pretend we're growing up in pre WWII Italy (except for the part about Mussolini). Forza!

Thanks for the words of encouragement chellie and physibeth! I will keep going. 

I plan to eat "clean" after the whole 30, for the most part. I love baking, bread cookies, cakes, so I will be introducing wheat back in, unless it turns out it really does me harm. But I am going to try to make good choices about what wheat products I eat. My homebaked french bread (yes!) But i am going to pass on the bread basket when we go out to eat.

I got an ice cream maker for Christmas so I am going to eat dairy again, but make better choices about what ingredients are in them, where they come from and all that. 

And beans, and corn and potato... I'm going to eat them too!

It works.

Please exile your scale! What if you had stepped on the scale and you had gained weight? Would you still think this works? What else have you gained from your Whole30? The scale rule is not a flippant one it is there for a reason. 

I plan to eat "clean" after the whole 30, for the most part. I love baking, bread cookies, cakes, so I will be introducing wheat back in, unless it turns out it really does me harm. But I am going to try to make good choices about what wheat products I eat. My homebaked french bread (yes!) But i am going to pass on the bread basket when we go out to eat.

I got an ice cream maker for Christmas so I am going to eat dairy again, but make better choices about what ingredients are in them, where they come from and all that. 

Don't decide what you are going to eat until you do reintroductions. Say "I would like to eat" and then reintroduce those foods carefully and honestly evaluate how you feel physically and emotionally afterwards. I didn't have any obvious physical reactions but found that grains in general were foods without brakes for me and that they just pushed vegetables off my plate. Finish out the program well and then you can make really confident answers to "Is it special?" and "Is it worth it?"

For your ice cream maker, if you find dairy doesn't work for you than you can easily convert recipes/find recipes that use coconut and almond milk instead.

I find myself starving in-between meals... anyone else?  I think I'm eating enough, but maybe not?! Just add more veggies?  I'm the hungry where, yes, I would eat fish & broccoli if it were available! haha

Try more starchy veggies. I find that roasted turnips, parsnips, rutabegas help me a lot.

It works.

I've been eating "clean" since Dec. 2012 and plan to continue after this Whole30. Funny thing is that my definition of "clean" has changed yet again. I'm okay with a little well-soaked white rice once or twice a week (a la Perfect Health diet), but now will probably not go back to eating many nuts as I've found that they mess up my digestion. I may make some coconut milk ice cream, but find that the store-bought treats are way too sweet. I may try to reintroduce coffee, but maybe not. I've been getting such good sleep, I may like to just keep that up. And, perhaps I'll have a drink once in a while, but at this point, kombucha makes me tipsy, so maybe I'll count that as my "adult beverage."

I'm amazed by the weight loss you've experienced. I'm at the point where I'm really not losing anymore (I don't think), but that's totally okay because my body feels healthy and strong. I just know that this is the right thing to do for my body.

Doing better, as far as my funk of the last several days goes.  For awhile, nothing sounded good at all -- didn't actually GAG, but almost.  Now I'm feeling better, so am encouraged again.  Good thing I'm feeling strong today, because I forgot my packed lunch on my kitchen counter!  Yikes!  Luckily my workplace has a cafeteria and I can load up on fresh veggies and a chicken patty.  Don't think I'll go too far wrong with that.

Hey kt cat, I know this is hard but just try to remember not to beat yourself up. You are doing this for you and if you trip up, it happens. No one is going to come shame you at your doorstep. As far as post whole30 and eating all the eliminated foods - take your time. I don't have any serious gluten allergies but the way it affected my head was insane. I was strict paleo for about 4 months and then dove right into a pizza. For two days I was out of it. I was functioning, but I became super forgetful. My brain was a wreck. So really evaluate each food you bring back into your world. And make sure it's worth it.

I find myself starving in-between meals... anyone else?  I think I'm eating enough, but maybe not?! Just add more veggies?  I'm the hungry where, yes, I would eat fish & broccoli if it were available! haha

Hi baxtercoyne ... Adding veggies is good but also make sure you're getting that fat in. It's hard to do sometimes. Coconut flakes are great for me. I eat a small handful with at least one meal a day. And avocado for the other meals. I'm not a big fan of olives but a handful of olives would help keep you full between meals! And you may be someone who just requires more. Are you working out at all? Are you making sure you get your Pre and Post WO meals? Keep experimenting. Just stay compliant :)

Also, good job to everyone! Love reading all the posts. I did struggle with boredom hunger over the weekend. I stayed compliant but I probably snacked on trail mix too much! It was raw and yummy, but probably too much for a day :/

Not sure if I can plug a book review and giveaway I have on my blog so I will just share a link. I will edit my post to remove it if it's against the rules of the forum. wp.me/p209kz-Xw

Keep going strong folks! We're in the middle of greatness!

Hi All,

Just checking in. I'm on Day 8 and am stoked because it was on Day 7 that I had my slip. It took me 2 days to get back on track.

This week one of my goals is to record my food here, so I can be more honest about my meals. I've only been eating compliant foods, but I haven't been sticking to the 3 meals a day protocol. I think it's time to do that, and I feel ready for it.

It's great to read everyone's posts, especially now that they come to my email  inbox.

Way to go, TeamJ6!

You make me laugh...I appreciate your humor... :D ...uuuuuh last time I experienced the gaggy food thing...mmmm I was pregnant...just sayin ;) .  Oh yeah I found the macadamia nuts too...I thing they are a food with no brakes for me...yup...can't have THOSE in the house anymore!! I'm thinking with the $$$ I'll save it's super worth it!! Hope you get past the stomach blugys soon...unless you are ????  (Maybe you are saying BITE you tongue young lady!!!)  :P

Wish you the best!! Stay strong!!

Grandma Carolyn

Grandma Carolyn- I was thinking the same thing when I read MK's post. I have two, my youngest is 7 months and foods I loved I could not stand while I was pregnant. Hmmmm.

I have to celebrate! On Tuesdays I do not get to have lunch until 2 pm. I ate butternut squash with ground beef and onions for breakfast, but did not have enough so I was hungry until lunch. Then at lunch the turkey burger I had came out of the microwave too hard to eat so I ended up with just veggies and some sliced almonds. My coworker brought a chocolate cake and put it in the break room for anyone to have. Normally, I would use all of this as an excuse to have a piece of cake, but I was able to pass by it. I did end up with a Larabar in the afternoon (my first since starting W30), but at least it was compliant. I am really thrilled with the progress I have made with not only how I feel, but in my eating thoughts and behaviors. I'm currently on a W42 because on day 12 I grabbed some cashews out of the cabinet forgetting that they had soy in them : (, but I look at is as a reminder that I have to be diligent about what I eat. I cannot be thoughtless. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Ahh, day 17. Amazing how quickly the time goes once you get past the first 7 days. I am doing really well. No major cravings just things I want. I want paleo chocolate chip cookies and a beer, but know I just can't have them. No problem, I can wait. I am planning on staying eating clean after the 30 days. I would like to try bringing coffee back and I'm going to try to bring nuts back in too. I'm hoping it will work out but if not I know I can do without. I am still tired but have a feeling it will pass. I'm a really light sleeper and I go to sleep way before my boyfriend. He also moves around a lot recently. I think my tired days are really his fault. Lol. Oh well I have started this week reading before bed and turning off the lights earlier then I have too. I used to watch tv to go to sleep. I started adding more fat to my meals and am no longer having bathroom problems. I am also fuller longer and drinking plenty of water. I am eating very little fruit each day too. I am still trying to figure out the working out thing. I ran my first 1/2 marathon in December and had trained since August. I stopped running until I started whole 30 and also ate horrible up to start day. I haven't been able to run more then 3.5 miles since I stated running again. I think it must have something to do with my pre work out snack, which has been little to nothing. I just don't know what I should be eating. I eat lunch at 11 and would like to run at 4. Then dinner at 5:30ish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hope everyone is doing well. We can do it!!!

Ahh, day 17. Amazing how quickly the time goes once you get past the first 7 days. I am doing really well. No major cravings just things I want. I want paleo chocolate chip cookies and a beer, but know I just can't have them. No problem, I can wait. I am planning on staying eating clean after the 30 days. I would like to try bringing coffee back and I'm going to try to bring nuts back in too. I'm hoping it will work out but if not I know I can do without. I am still tired but have a feeling it will pass. I'm a really light sleeper and I go to sleep way before my boyfriend. He also moves around a lot recently. I think my tired days are really his fault. Lol. Oh well I have started this week reading before bed and turning off the lights earlier then I have too. I used to watch tv to go to sleep. I started adding more fat to my meals and am no longer having bathroom problems. I am also fuller longer and drinking plenty of water. I am eating very little fruit each day too. I am still trying to figure out the working out thing. I ran my first 1/2 marathon in December and had trained since August. I stopped running until I started whole 30 and also ate horrible up to start day. I haven't been able to run more then 3.5 miles since I stated running again. I think it must have something to do with my pre work out snack, which has been little to nothing. I just don't know what I should be eating. I eat lunch at 11 and would like to run at 4. Then dinner at 5:30ish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hope everyone is doing well. We can do it!!!

A pre work out snack is a protein and optional fat. Many folks go with a hard boiled egg. Maybe give it a shot and see if that works for you?

Today is a new day :) I had a breakfast of grilled chicken sweet potato, almonds and berries. I have been feeling better energy wise but I am not feeling the amazing reduction that other people are raving about. I have been working out 3 days a week for an hour each session cardio and resistance.

Also my mouth has a gnarly taste that brushing doesn't eliminate. Am I doing something wrong?

Grandma Carolyn- I was thinking the same thing when I read MK's post. I have two, my youngest is 7 months and foods I loved I could not stand while I was pregnant. Hmmmm.

Definitely not preggo! I think my gagginess (this is officially a word in my house now) was a result of hormone fluctuations during PMS. I seem to be fine now; the gagginess has all but disappeared, which is a good thing! Not being pregnant is also a good thing. ;)

Hellloooo everyone! I've been away from the forum for about a week and a half now (wow January is flying by!).  I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling overworked, but working 62 hour weeks leaves little time left over. I've had friends visiting for the past 4 days, and lord knows how, but I stuck to the plan! 'Soda water and lime' is my new favorite phrase. I definitely felt the tempt to just take a bite of something here and there though. No matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise, cheese just looks so good to me.  But I stuck to my guns. Reluctantly at times, but I did. Just a question for the group, anyone experiencing the Tiger Blood phase? And if so, please share how awesome you feel. I think I could use a little encouragement... I swear if I eat one more egg, I'll turn into an omelet.

I wouldn't say I have hit "Tiger Blood". I feel better, I don't crave stuff and I don't snack between meals. I also don't feel energetic ALL the time, just better. Maybe this is my tiger blood?

I had a crazy win this morning. I had decided last night I was going to go to Starbucks for the passion fruit tea unsweetened this morning. Well after eating breakfast, I didn't feel like it at all. I was full from breakfast and that was all I wanted. This is crazy!! I am NOT that person. I loved going to Starbucks for lattes all the time. I am their biggest fan. So to not go or feel like it is HUGE for me.

Also, no one said anything, but is there a reason why I am getting full faster and eating less?

Now that we are on day 17, I'm feeling good.   This week I've had co-workers ask me what I've been doing because I look slimmer.  My boss asked me how I'm dealing with all the stress from work and this new way of eating.  I told her that once you eat clean your body has all the fuel and energy it needs.  You don't need synthetic caffeine or artificial sweeteners.   

I know that in the future, I'm going to want to have an alcoholic drink and maybe someday a chocolate chip cookie.   But today and most days, I'm happy with this way of eating this way of living.   I've tried many different diets and plans before.   Doing this Whole 30 challenge has really changed my life.  It Starts With Food has been the difference.   I only wish I would have boughten the hard copy instead of on my Kindle app so I could share it with my friends and family.   Guess I'm going to have to get one so that I can.    This forum has also made a huge difference.   Love the support!!!   

I wouldn't say I have hit "Tiger Blood". I feel better, I don't crave stuff and I don't snack between meals. I also don't feel energetic ALL the time, just better. Maybe this is my tiger blood?

I had a crazy win this morning. I had decided last night I was going to go to Starbucks for the passion fruit tea unsweetened this morning. Well after eating breakfast, I didn't feel like it at all. I was full from breakfast and that was all I wanted. This is crazy!! I am NOT that person. I loved going to Starbucks for lattes all the time. I am their biggest fan. So to not go or feel like it is HUGE for me.

Also, no one said anything, but is there a reason why I am getting full faster and eating less?

Ditto xine23 on what "tiger blood" might mean. Not craving, not snacking, knowing when I'm satisfied so that I don't just clean the plate and getting a handle on habits so I can take or leave the (fill in the blank). It is HUGE!

Archived