January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Yes, definitely planning to test non-gluten grains on another day, by themselves. Thanks for your help!

Primal Girl has an all-purpose primal dough recipe that can be tweaked for a paleocity (new word?). It looks like there's a recipe for pizza in the The Ancestral Table cookbook that's going to be released soon, too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that by this time I would be counting down to the end of Whole30, but I'm not.   Now, I'm going on vacation the following week so there is that countdown.   I'm going to pack some Jerky, Dried Fruit, cans of soy free Tuna, a sweet potato? and some almonds.   While I know I won't be 100% since it will be Whole35 by then, I want to keep as close to the plan as possible.    

@nnekamolly  - Yes!  I am hearing my sugar dragon loud and clear lately.  I may hold off sugar until I feel more in control.  I finally got ISWF from the library, so I'm eager to see what they say about that.

Pretty good day today.  My dinner wasn't really planned, but I'm feeling like I can wing-it pretty well these days.  I sauteed some chicken sausage with onions and peppers.  I didn't think the kids would go for the sausage, but they loved it!  Go figure.

We are so close!  I'm proud of all of us and this board has definitely helped me through.  Thank you all!

So today is college day at school and both teachers and students were permitted to wear college shirts.  I was worried mine wouldn't fit because in college I was a size L and now...well...not so much.  So this morning I hoped for the best and tried one on.  And guess what?  It FITS!!!  I mean, not like I could squeeze into it and make it work fits...it ACTUALLY FITS!  Woohoo!!!!!  ***happy dance happy dance happy dance***

I'll just check in here for day 26 . This way of eating is getting as comfortable as an old shoe, but I am still a bit obsessed. Paleo on the mind all day long.

I realized today that I have not had a heart flutter in a week, where they were pretty much every day before. May mean nothing but is encouraging anyway.

Looking forward to having cheese soon.

I am annoyed today as I've had a monthly visitor TWICE in the past 26 days.... not cool. I feel like I'm seeing a lot of ads for ice cream and that is what I really want. hopefully I will feel better after leaving work tonite. I am going to make a delicious snack of banana and coconut and almonds later tonite.

Edited: My original post was pretty snarky. I thought better of it.

I feel your pain, kt cat. My period comes every 3 weeks or so. Remember to eat extra starchy veggies and don't use it as an excuse to indulge your sugar dragon. :)

Hi Everyone,

I'm still here! Day 17 for me because of a "false" start. Anyway, the food has been delicious and satisfying. I've learned quite a bit about myself and my Sugar Dragon. This has been an eye-opening experience for me thus far, and I'm looking forward to new revelations in the near future!

Congratulations to everyone who is on Day 26, or whatever. I've lost count! But I know my starting day because I get the great Whole30Daily emails. It's fun to click "I did it! Another Whole30 day in the bank." And then the link takes you to something either fun, motivational, and/or inspirational.

I made the Rogan Josh dish from Well Fed. It's fantastic! Over some cauliflower rice, and it would be a perfect meal! (Of course one would have a fresh green salad tossed with fresh lemon juice to start her meal :) ) And, perhaps a small tangerine to finish. A cup of tea after that, nice and clean, with nothing in it. :)

As far as how I feel thus far, on Day 17, I must say that I can't tell a difference in anything, as of yet. I haven't been following the plan perfectly, but I have stuck with purely compliant foods (as far as I know). And so, that may account for my body's lack of responding as fast as some others report. I'll be patient. I've read It Starts with Food. I have faith!

Keep up the great work everyone!

Lara

What day are we on?  LOL   My coach at CF asked today and I honestly didn't know.  I had to count backwards from Tues.   I love when I can share my journey with others.   My manager told me she started Whole30 this week too because I have inspired her.    Just want to let you all know that you inspire me!  

This is just the start of my journey.   I know it will take awhile before I get to some of the goals I've set for myself.   However, the most important part is that I'm on the right path finally.    After years and years and years of yo-yo dieting, I feel that finally I have found the path that is right for me.    Thank you all for sharing this journey with me and I look forward to hearing how everyone is feeling on Wednesday.  

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi, checking in here as well...yesterday was my birthday, my thoughtful coworker (who usually gives a chocolate bunny or heart or shamrock, etc, depending on the occasion) gave me snack sized pouch of walnuts & cashews instead, lol!!!

Home stretch, 5 days to go.

Challenges I've encountered:

-following the template, getting all the componants on my plate for each meal--I have stayed W30 foods-compliant, but I have found it hard to get meat/protein on my plate at each meal.

-I have relied too much on fruit (probably because I haven't gotten enough on my plate at mealtimes), and

nuts have become my co-pilot--I'm never without. Wondering if this leads to...

-...my digestive system has been very volatile for the last few weeks:(

-I really wanted pizza yesterday. Just saying. But it really wasn't that bad:). I just kept thinking back to ISWF and "this isn't hard. Don't you dare tell us this is hard. Fighting cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black Is. Not. Hard!!!"

-I do not like sweet potatoes. There, I said it. Just don't want them, yuck.

That said, I feel leaner & meaner. Clothes fit better. I broke the cardinal rule and know that I've lost about 10lbs (sorry--I peeked when I realized my clothes were looser). The fog lifted around 2 wks in, mercifully. I sometimes get hit with little zippy flashes of fog--like an electrical pulse--when I turn my head quickly or walk quickly, but it's a nanosecond. I believe here are many aspects of this I can incorporate into my life after Feb 5, like spaghetti squash, and reducing the processed foods. This was a great month to do this, since kids' & my schedule are less crazy than rest of the year.

5 days to go!

Day 27 check in. Really excited about being so close to 30 days. Have been going through the forums to get advise on how to carry on and fulfil my plan to lose weight. It is amazing , the wonderful success stories there are, and people are so helpful in what they share. So I am understanding that I may have to be patient in my weight loss. I know i have lost some right at first but it has slowed down. I'm hoping exercise will help.

As we are getting to the end here, I want to thank everyone for helping me through, especially the moderators who keep us on the the road. This is a great community.

Finally feeling really good.  I mean really good.  Even though--as others mentioned above--I'm getting Aunt Flo for 2nd time in the 30 days (seems my body wants to switch to 26 days wtf?), and I have a head cold, TWO people  commented on my slimmer shape yesterday, my 6yo put his arms all the way around my mid-section (I don't think that's ever happened before/yes he is getting bigger, too), I rocked my workout yesterday, and I am feeling pretty darn indestructible today!

I might like black coffee (what? who said that?).  I am not ashamed of my belly (seriously, has Chellie been abducted?).  I don't care what the scale says on Day 30, although it is a struggle every day not to go check.  I have set my expectation for pounds lost very low because I refuse to be disappointed at the end of this.  

I am going to plan out the reintro phase today, and prep my SuperBowl yum-fest (chicken wings, homemade ranch, crudité, guacamole, plantain chips, sweet potato hummus).

Still angry with the food pyramid and traditional nutrition advice.  How has an entire generation been so terribly misled?  How many friends and family members are or have been sick, have died, are in the hospital RIGHT NOW, perhaps because they have eaten "healthy" for so long.  It seriously sickens me.

Thank you everyone here!  I love all your posts and support.  You have helped me immensely.

ROAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!   :D

Still angry with the food pyramid and traditional nutrition advice.  How has an entire generation been so terribly misled?  How many friends and family members are or have been sick, have died, are in the hospital RIGHT NOW, perhaps because they have eaten "healthy" for so long.  It seriously sickens me.

THIS!! I recall my wonderful mother-in-law NEVER eating/drinking whole milk products because she was so afraid of eating "butter fat". She exercised, was skinny and petite, ate "whole" and "healthy" foods, but still broke a hip and died of a stroke....sigh! 

Let's hope we can stop the madness at least in our own circles. Maybe the ripple effect will reach out and touch enough people to make a difference! Rock on.

I'm starting February 3rd for the first time and a little nervous, any advice?

Read "it starts with food", and all the advice on starting out on this blog. Read ALL food labels, to make sure sulfites, soy, etc. dont sneak in and cause you to have to start again. Stock your kitchen and cook some foods in advance, because that first week is a tough enough adjustment, without a supply of foods for lunches and so forth!

Buy more veggies than you think you'll need. Have 3 easy dinners to come home to in the evenings (or whenever you get home from work). Get rid of all food from your pantry and fridge that may tempt you...even if you think it won't. :)

Good luck!

http://katiemilton.com/paleo-chocolate-chili

Chocolate chili is easy & really good. Clear out your pantry now- that helps later when you get any cravings. Read your labels, & do some shopping now. Like Rhed said, have extra veggies & melas ready. That takes the stess off. We've made it 27 days, & you can do this too. See if there's a forum that's starting same day as you- it a good tool!

Good luck!!

Very well said Chellie.  I had the same thought as I finished my first Whole 30.  An entire generation(s) has been terribly misled.  Big corporations and their lobbyists in cahoots with the government.  Result:  Frankensteinian "food and drink" spun by the best snake oil salespersons on the planet marketing a freakish food pyramid.

The 1992 food guide pyramid which survived until recently:  6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice and pasta; 2-5 servings of fruits and vegetables; 2 servings of meat, fish, eggs, and nuts; 2 servings of milk, cheese and yogurt; and sparing use of naturally occurring fat.

Since the government reported that bread and cereal were good for us, I grew up eating bread and cereal

Since the government reported that rice and pasta were good for us, I grew up eating rice and pasta.

No wonder everyone gained a bit (or alot) of chub.  We were told by the federal government that it was healthy to eat 5 servings of bread for every one serving of vegetables.  Eat five servings of rice for every one serving of an egg or meat or nuts.  Pasta = good.  Meat, eggs and nuts = bad.  Naturally occurring fat (avocado or olive oil) = really really bad.

You chop out the foundation of the government pyramid  - bread, cereal, rice and pasta - and amazing things start to happen to our bodies in just 30 short days.  Throw in a ton of veggies and some naturally occurring fat and wonderful things happen.

What condition would our country be in today if this foundation of the government pyramid - bread, cereal, rice and pasta - was eliminated several decades ago?

We started this forum with about 70 of us +/-.  We then had some who joined us mid-way, some who started earlier, those who restarted on some or all of W30, and some who are starting in the next week or two.

As we approach the end of our 30 day cycle +/-, it would be great if everyone chimed in and let us know how the ride is ending for you and your exit strategy.

Also a note:  there are several that are continuing on with a Whole 30+ or who restarted or are just getting started etc.  So this would not be the place to post that you downed 7 cans of Cheez Whiz and 3 bottles of cheap rot gut whiskey (note:  examples of non-compliant foods were intentionally disgusting) on Wednesday morning at 12:01 a.m.  :D

You have all been awesome.  Thanks for sharing this journey with me.

Prep as much as you can in advance, and it will be soooo much easier! Make big batches of food and freeze in portions, and you always have something to get back to. It is easier to cut back on "junk food" a couple of days before starting, that should make the first week easier!

Read here in the forum and it will motivate and help you!:)

We started this forum with about 70 of us +/-.  We then had some who joined us mid-way, some who started earlier, those who restarted on some or all of W30, and some who are starting in the next week or two.

As we approach the end of our 30 day cycle +/-, it would be great if everyone chimed in and let us know how the ride is ending for you and your exit strategy.

Also a note:  there are several that are continuing on with a Whole 30+ or who restarted or are just getting started etc.  So this would not be the place to post that you downed 7 cans of Cheez Whiz and 3 bottles of cheap rot gut whiskey (note:  examples of non-compliant foods were intentionally disgusting) on Wednesday morning at 12:01 a.m.  :D

You have all been awesome.  Thanks for sharing this journey with me.

Thank YOU for starting this group and your support!!!:)

Archived