January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Thanks, Robert!

I have no plans or even temptation to splurge Wednesday (but thanks for the aversion therapy!). I'll be doing the taste and see reintroductions for limited dairy and white rice, but no more wheat, etc for me. Most "Is it really worth it?" foods will come and go with (fill in the blank) untasted. Most foods aren't really worth it and I'll know the ones or occasions that are worth a detour. WholeFOREVER!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very well said Chellie.  I had the same thought as I finished my first Whole 30.  An entire generation(s) has been terribly misled.  Big corporations and their lobbyists in cahoots with the government.  Result:  Frankensteinian "food and drink" spun by the best snake oil salespersons on the planet marketing a freakish food pyramid.

The 1992 food guide pyramid which survived until recently:  6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice and pasta; 2-5 servings of fruits and vegetables; 2 servings of meat, fish, eggs, and nuts; 2 servings of milk, cheese and yogurt; and sparing use of naturally occurring fat.

Since the government reported that bread and cereal were good for us, I grew up eating bread and cereal

Since the government reported that rice and pasta were good for us, I grew up eating rice and pasta.

No wonder everyone gained a bit (or alot) of chub.  We were told by the federal government that it was healthy to eat 5 servings of bread for every one serving of vegetables.  Eat five servings of rice for every one serving of an egg or meat or nuts.  Pasta = good.  Meat, eggs and nuts = bad.  Naturally occurring fat (avocado or olive oil) = really really bad.

You chop out the foundation of the government pyramid  - bread, cereal, rice and pasta - and amazing things start to happen to our bodies in just 30 short days.  Throw in a ton of veggies and some naturally occurring fat and wonderful things happen.

What condition would our country be in today if this foundation of the government pyramid - bread, cereal, rice and pasta - was eliminated several decades ago?

Don't forget high fructose corn syrup....

Day 30 is Monday 2/3 for me...I must say I am feeling sooooo much better :D . I'm going to keep on going...b/c this really is the food plan for me! Some disturbing issues for me have been for the past week I have had a nasty resurgence of my Meniere's Disease :( ...roaring ear, deaf, and ataxia...not fun (I sorta walk like I am 9 months pregnant on a rocky ship...or if you will...I walk like I am drunk) BUT thank God no vertigo...cause when that hits I'm pretty useless! Not kidding. Even being on the computer is difficult for me. Meet you all at the finish line...great work guys. Anyone continuing on to 60-90...???

Grandma Carolyn   

I'll just check in here for day 26 . This way of eating is getting as comfortable as an old shoe, but I am still a bit obsessed. Paleo on the mind all day long.

I realized today that I have not had a heart flutter in a week, where they were pretty much every day before. May mean nothing but is encouraging anyway.

Looking forward to having cheese soon.

Thanks for reminding me!! I haven't had a heart flutter in a while now...now that I think of it. My brain and heart is smiling  :P 

Greetings fellow J6ers- day 28! I am feeling good as I near the end of this journey. Over the course of the W30 I am feeling like I have lost weight ( all those Thanksgiving to New Years celebrations bad foods), clothes fit better, brain sharper and noticing better energy after a long day of work.  Tiger blood? not so sure.. The bad head cold that clobbered me partway through seems to have sucked that energy out of me, but getting better. Over this time  I came to realize that 1. I don't need a glass of wine every night to wind down, 2. I can socialize with friends and keep compliant, 3.I sleep way better eating this way- and that feels great 4. doing this with the support of this forum really helps make it work- thank you all and thanks to Robert2014 for starting it up. 5.Eating clean= Feeling better and that is a great reward.

From here I will reintroduce some things- such as dairy, occasional white rice or potato and dark chocolate on rare occasion.  This is my 2nd W30 and learned so much more about myself this time than last. I plan on adding a few days on to the W30 as I am still recovering from illness, and start to reintroduce foods next weekend. ( It's actually pretty easy for me to do this during the work week as I bring my food so no chance of non compliant foods.)

Thanks to all of you for posting as you went along.  There were some great tips, recipes, honest reflection that provided great inspiration along the way.  There were some times when I wanted to quit, but I came here first and was able to stay on the path. Good luck to you all!

Day 28- I have plans for today's Super Bowl party (veg tray w/ homemade ranch & Well Fed's Bora Bora Fireballs). I plan to reintro dairy but I think I know how it will go. I will do the reintro on foods to confirm what I learned. Carbs( grain etc) will almost definitely go on the no-no list.

I have had a reasonable easy time compared to some on this post. I had already been eating better before W30. Completely removing sugar was tough, but I've noticed my tastes have changed. I got into a pair of jeans & sweater today that I wouldn't have worn a month ago!!

I did look over my self evaluation I did at the beginning W30-

my sinus issues have cleared up( not gone away, but dramatically better)

Arthritis & joint pain is nearly gone( even with starting kettlebell work outs)

Digestive issues, food cravings, headaches are nearly gone

Sleep problems are also gone& feeling more rested after sleep.

This is for sure something I will continue. It will be nice to go out to eat once in awhile, with my new education, & make wise choices. Also to continue with the great recipes I have found & continue to find new REAL FOOD recipes to serve my friends & family. My garden will see some new additions this spring (hello acorn squash). I would love to teach a class/group on some cooking techniques I've learned here.

Thanks to everyone for the help & support. We're almost there!!! It's not a finish line- it's the beginning of healthy eating for life!

I will be doing slow reintroductions.  Soy, grains, and sugar won't come back into my life on a regular basis.  I know I don't need these, but I will indulge on truly special occasions.  I am going to test the grains on reintro, though.  I plan to go back to a mindful Paleo way of life, as I've been eating that way since May.  W30 definitely helped me recognize what I don't really need but often talk myself into eating (wine, cream, and chocolate top the list).  I also now know that I have a bit of a tomato sensitivity (BOO!  I love tomatoes!), so if I want clear skin, I have to steer clear of those.  I also discovered a ton of great recipes that I probably never would have found any other way.

Here's the schedule:

Day 31: dairy

32-33: W30

34: gluten grains

35-36: W30

37: non-gluten grains

38-39: W30

40: Valentine's Day dinner out with hubby...definitely wine and dessert...

41-42: W30

43: legumes

Yippee!  I see the light at the end of the tunnel!  I will very likely be doing another W30 in the spring or early summer.

Exit strategy:

I've decided that when I reintro foods, I'm going to reintro stuff I like to eat, so that if they do terrible terrible things to me, at least they'll have been delicious. I'm reintro-ing things I've thought about during the last 30 days, things I missed at least a little. Also, it's helping me to know when I'm introducing something. Last time, I didn't do this, and I think it hurt me. So I've been planning reintro, and the exact foods I'll be having, because I know what's worth it to me to risk hurting -- whether that's intestinal distress or zit breakouts.

So, day 31 is dairy. I'm going to have a hot chocolate, either getting it before work or at lunch, and a scoop of ice cream after dinner.

Day 35 will be legumes. Having peanut butter with my breakfast and probably refried beans for lunch or supper. I might also work in a homemade chinese dish that uses cauli rice, and I can maybe use soy sauce to season with. Not sure yet.

Day 38 is going to be rice, probably have some with lunch and supper. This one's simply to judge my body's reaction to it. I like sushi. I want to know how much it would hurt to have it. :P

Day 42 is going to be gluten. I'm not sure how to intro it at breakfast, as I don't want to buy a loaf of bread to have just one slice. Maybe a muffin. I'll have to check the grocery's bakery's ingredients. Have already checked one of my favorite restaurant's allergy listing and found a soy-, dairy-, grain-free (but not gluten free) sandwich that will be delicious for lunch. And I'm going to make cupcakes (I'm thinking chocolate with a whipped coconut milk topping and toasted coconut flakes) for a special treat that night since my husband will be home. :D

Day 45 will be corn. Maybe. I haven't thought this far ahead yet, and to be honest it's not something I really need. It's just that corn seems to be in everything (in the form of high fructose corn syrup) and it would be nice to isolate it to see if corn, on its own, does any damage.

So tomorrow's my day 30! I'm terribly excited. :D

I would love to continue using this board post 30.   I'm going to do at least 35.  I'll be on vacation in Maui after that and while I'm not going to dive into non-compliant food I might have a glass of wine.    I had a friend ask if I was excited for Tuesday.  I said not really because Wednesday I'm going to eat the same way.  (and Thurs, Fri, Sat...) 

I have a question on re-introduction.   If I don't plan on re-introducing something ongoing do I need to do it the same way?  

For example, I really think I don't need to have diary.   There might be a slice of pizza in my future but it is going to be an exception not the norm.   I don't plan on really eating any other dairy so do I need to eat it three times a day the first time I try it?    

No plans to re-introduce legumes.  I love almond butter!   I think for my birthday later this month I will have a soy free dairy free paleoesque chocolate chip cookie as that is my favorite treat.   But again those are going to be exceptions to the Whole30 rule that I plan to base my ongoing eating plans around. 

Seeing how everyone is planning to re-intro gives me a lot of anxiety. Anyone else not ready for that step yet or am I alone? I mean I WANT to eat non-compliant foods again but I get anxiety thinking about it... :-/

I have a re-introduction plan, but I am also very nervous too! I am worried about the reaction my body will have to everything. Everyone's body is different, so I don't know what a reaction to dairy should look like.

Seeing how everyone is planning to re-intro gives me a lot of anxiety. Anyone else not ready for that step yet or am I alone? I mean I WANT to eat non-compliant foods again but I get anxiety thinking about it... :-/

I'm going to stay the course...I have been down THAT road many times and I know what my body does not appreciate...lol. I keep things very simple...good foods and the VERY occasional treat. I am abstaining from the wine for now too...that just sets me up for sugar cravings. I completely understand the anxiety part...I think of it as more "making peace" and listening to my body...instead of getting caught up in cravings (my will...vs. my body's need)  :P  Think of you what you need...not so much what you want...does that help?? If you need chocolate...then eat it. I usually don't NEED corn, bread, alcohol etc.....even though at times I may want it. The physical repercussions are usually not worth it...but that is me.        

I'm going to stay the course...I have been down THAT road many times and I know what my body does not appreciate...lol. I keep things very simple...good foods and the VERY occasional treat. I am abstaining from the wine for now too...that just sets me up for sugar cravings. I completely understand the anxiety part...I think of it as more "making peace" and listening to my body...instead of getting caught up in cravings (my will...vs. my body's need)  :P  Think of you what you need...not so much what you want...does that help?? If you need chocolate...then eat it. I usually don't NEED corn, bread, alcohol etc.....even though at times I may want it. The physical repercussions are usually not worth it...but that is me.        

That makes sense.  I guess I'm just really worried that one non-compliant food will lead to another and then another and then I've snowballed into food-without-brakes and back to where I started from.  It's just happened so many times before...I just don't trust myself I guess.

Sklane, that's exactly why I've got such a detailed plan for myself. I don't want to jump off the deep end, and if I don't have these guidelines, I think I would. If you're not comfortable with re-intro yet, then don't -- you know yourself better than anyone, and you know what you need. :)

I will not be finishing with you all- I failed on Saturday at my friends baby shower. I definately had sugar, wheat, and dairy. I went back to whole 30 Sunday and will be today, and I'll start introducing properly tomorrow. So I will not have completed a whole 30, I guess I did only a whole 26. :mellow:

I am going to try eating paleo-ish, but I do want the occasional treat. We'll see how it goes.

I am going to try to get my boyfriend onboard and try to do a whole 30 maybe in the fall.

I'll still be lurking around the forum :lol:

I agree with you completely, Sklane. I'm not going to reintroduce anything yet. I'm still waiting for my stomach to be 100% better, and I want my energy to be improved a lot, too. And I too fear that I'll get on a slippery slope once I start reintroducing foods. I've been on that slope so many times I have a run named after me! :-)

That makes sense.  I guess I'm just really worried that one non-compliant food will lead to another and then another and then I've snowballed into food-without-brakes and back to where I started from.  It's just happened so many times before...I just don't trust myself I guess.

This makes total sense. This is what I learned about myself with grains during my reintroduction phase. From that learning experience my plan going forward was to try and only enjoy them when I'm out for a special meal so I don't have them around the house to mindlessly eat.

Hello everyone.  Although this is my first post I have been lurking around since I started Jan 6th.  This is my first Whole30.  I finally got the book in the mail on Friday and am half-way through it - valuable information in there!  I semi-prepped for the Whole30 starting in December by cutting out almost all dairy & grains but having alcohol some weekends and of course, Christmas & New Years.  I think for that reason I may not be seeing dramatic changes from this Whole30 but I'm still very glad I did it.

Truthfully, I don't want to reintroduce anything - this way of eating is so easy!  I know I have to though, especially considering I'm going to Mexico Feb 15th to an all-inclusive resort where my food choices will be fairly limited.   I am going to start with dairy Feb 5th and then wine Feb 8th and Feburary 10th I will add bread.   These are the 3 things I will definitely be eating in Mexico.  Sometimes I live on bread, cheese, fruits & veggies while in Mexico - the mystery meat at the buffets scare me. 

I will do another Whole30 in May (I think) but will continue with a mostly paleo lifestyle with limited cheese, breads & wine/alcohol for special occassions.  I feel like I can eat this way long term as I really found this journey fairly painless.  Like some of you, I too have the fear that reintroducing "those foods" will start those cravings back and then it will get out of control like it has for me in the past.    I just hope that because of everything I've learned over the past month, I will not allow that to happen.

I will not be finishing with you all- I failed on Saturday at my friends baby shower. I definately had sugar, wheat, and dairy. I went back to whole 30 Sunday and will be today, and I'll start introducing properly tomorrow. So I will not have completed a whole 30, I guess I did only a whole 26. :mellow:

I am going to try eating paleo-ish, but I do want the occasional treat. We'll see how it goes.

I am going to try to get my boyfriend onboard and try to do a whole 30 maybe in the fall.

I'll still be lurking around the forum :lol:

I wouldn't call a Whole26 a fail! Sounds like you had a really special occasion and celebrated. Your cat (cute, but looking rather schoolmarmish in the photo) should smile at your success. :D

I started on 1/6! I can't believe I'm just now finding this forum... womp womp! I've loved Whole30.  I plan to stick to it without bringing back most things - there's a walk for a scoop of ice cream in my future, but other than that and maybe a little more leniency when it comes to the occasional meal out or FANCY piece of cheese, eating this way makes me feel too good to stop now!

I'll admit, while I absolutely KNOW that the point is NOT the scale, anyone else nervous/excited to check it out on Wednesday morning????

Yes, eryn! I was just wondering when everyone is planning to check stats? No scale at home, so I can't do a weigh-in first thing, but I can measure. Best wishes to all for a wonderful day 30! And to all who started/restarted/are still marching on, thank you for sharing here! Hugs!

Congratulations to everyone!  Celebrate day 30 tomorrow with joy and confidence for all the knowledge we have gained.  Knowledge is a powerful thing.  Going 30 days without [fill in the blank] is a big deal.  The way I look at it, if I can go 30 days without say, a chip (or something far more exotic), I can certainly go 30 seconds or 30 minutes or 30 hours.

Please everyone share how your last day turned out for you.  And any stats/changes.

Best,

Robert

Archived