January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beckie - that's hilarious.

During my first Whole 30, I had the pleasure of joining my wife and kids at our neighborhood Halloween block party followed by marathon trick or treating.  I filled my pockets with carrot sticks and bottled water.  The following week I took a day trip to Disneyland with our four year old son.  Yes, Kill All The Things is an appropriate description.  :)

So my question to you guys is what are you doing this weekend to get ready?  I just got my copy of Well Fed 2 and the recipes look amazing, but I am starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by all of the things to prepare this weekend (mayo! veggies!  loads and loads of meatballs and crockpot recipes! condiments!  egg bakes!).  I know from experience that being prepared is key for me--aside from good ole Chipotle there aren't many options around me if I don't make it myself--and I am so busy during the week that weekend cooking is essential.  But while eating this way has made me a much more capable cook, I am still pretty slow in the kitchen.  So I guess I need to remind myself to get some perspective--i.e., not every meal has to be a master piece--and steal any tips you guys might have for getting stocked relatively painlessly.

Putting in 2 weeks notice at work and starting with you all (these 2 are not related, but both exciting) on 1/6!  I mostly cook for myself, but I'll still have to navigate a less than on board boyfriend and a vile baking temptress of a roommate.  If only I could teleport to Nashville where my best friend is trying this out for herself starting today....

Hi Everyone!   My name is Kelly and I'm starting Whole30 on Monday as well.   Started to eat healthy on the 1st, but going to be 100% on track starting Monday.   I bought the book via my iPad as well as a couple of cookbooks/app like Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo.    Not sure about signing up for the emails as well.   Went to the store yesterday to get ready to prep over the weekend.   I figured I would spend time with the book and the website from now till Monday to make sure I have everything I need to be successful.    I think this forum is another great tool to keep me on track.    Looking forward to the support!  Happy Prepping Everyone! 

Reading through some of the posts on this forum I have to admit to feeling a little overwhelmed! Reading through the plan I was thinking simple...not easy by any stretch...but simple, just follow the rules, eat protein, veggies and good fats = healthy (and tasty with a bit of effort on my part). Difficult to implement but not too complicated!

I was just reading one post which talked about coconut aminos?! What the heck are they and what do you do with them? I really hope my simple approach at the beginning is enough :/ I figure I'll just keep it simple and get fancier as I go!!

For those of you who have done it before, is it much more complicated than I'm expecting?

Reading through some of the posts on this forum I have to admit to feeling a little overwhelmed! Reading through the plan I was thinking simple...not easy by any stretch...but simple, just follow the rules, eat protein, veggies and good fats = healthy (and tasty with a bit of effort on my part). Difficult to implement but not too complicated!

I was just reading one post which talked about coconut aminos?! What the heck are they and what do you do with them? I really hope my simple approach at the beginning is enough :/ I figure I'll just keep it simple and get fancier as I go!!

For those of you who have done it before, is it much more complicated than I'm expecting?

You can keep this as simple as following the Whole30 meal template for each meal: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Coconut aminos is a compliant substitute for soy sauce in recipes.

bunkybean16 -- One of the things that helped me was figuring out that I didn't have to cook from a recipe every night. If you're comfortable throwing meat and veggies in a skillet with some coconut oil and spices, you've got a stir fry. And if you've sliced the veggies beforehand, it's 15 minutes to supper. I like to keep salad fixings and cans of tuna for those nights when I'm just too tired to think about cooking (I'm busy too, I hear you there -- an hour commute home from work kills my energy for cooking >< ). Add carrot and/or celery sticks or bell pepper slices (that you've cut up ahead of time), and BOOM, instant meal. I actually always plan for one or two easy meals so I know it's there waiting for me and I don't get tempted to get fast food (big problem for me).

Tazchick2000: Simple is good! Knowing you're coming home to easy cooking instead of a complicated recipe makes it easier. :)

I don't think it's more complicated than you expect (at least, the food part). When it comes down to it, you're just following the rules: protein + veggies + healthy fats. Cooking is only as complicated as you want to make it. Start easy. Add complications as you're ready for them. :)

Y'all, I'm pretty excited. :D

Bunkybean and Tazchik -- I agree with Rhed.  Keep it simple unless you are otherwise inclined.  Take Rhed's dinner meat and veggie stir fry leftovers and throw them in a skillet with an egg, more veggies, and some olive oil or ghee for breakfast.   Add a half avocado and some blueberries to your plate.  Coffee or tea and a glass of water.  Breakfast done in 5 minutes.  If I was cooking a steak or a piece of chicken for dinner, I would cook two or three to use for the next days breakfast and/or lunch.  There were some days where I was on the go and just had a big hunk of left over meat, as many raw carrots, celery and broccoli as I could stomach, a small handful of almonds, 1/2 an avocado, and a few berries.

With that said, my wife made some wonderful compliant dishes that required more effort.

Went shopping today and picked up most everything I needed....except ghee....oh well!  Getting an Amazon order ready - guess I can wait a couple of days on that.  I've been looking at menus and copying and pasting into a word doc....there is a ton of stuff on the web...finished up reading It Starts With Food today - ready to get this party started!

I agree with everyone about the simple meals. The first time I ate a lot of chicken. I'd put it in the crockpot at beginning of week. Then each night I'd warm it up, throw some veggie in the microwave - sweet potatoe, carrots , etc - add a small salad and be done. Generally I ate dinner leftovers for breakfast. It was easier for me to nuke something than to cook.

I have three boys 12, 4, and 2. I also work full time. So this was the only way I seemed to be able to be successful.

One problem I had last time is that I learned to love kombucha. Fortunately I would have to drive an hour into Atlanta to get it. I say fortunately because I was using it as a crutch to get over soda. So none of it for me this time.

Oh my goodness.  I can't believe the number of you who have jumped on board.  I'm so excited!!!  One of the greatest support to completing my last Whole 30 was celebrating the joys with a group, and throwing out the worries to the group.  So it's awesome to share with you all. 

There is no way for me to keep up with the number of people who have joined in so I apologize if I don't specifically recognize anyone.  You'll all be great to journey with as we move forward.  I do have a few thoughts from some recent posts so just in case this helps...here's some thoughts for you...

@Wildcat:  Ghee is easy.  Clarified butter.  Melt butter, skim off foam (salt) from top) refrigerate.  Poke hole in the formed portion.  Invert and drain off the liquid that settles to the bottom (milkfat).  Once drained, loosen the solid portion (typically very easy to do once milk is drained) and scrape off bottom for extra milk.  Depending on the frequency of use, one pound lasted me two months.  Doesn't really spoil and adds great flavor to veggies.

@Tazschick and Bunkybean - The first time I did Whole 30, I spent my first Saturday cooking.  The ENTIRE day.  As grouchy as that made me, it was a good learning opportunity.  I am one of those people who has to cook food on the weekend for the weekdays so that I don't spend hours in the kitchen at night. on weekdays. So the whole day spent in the kitchen on a Saturday kind of unnerved me.  But then I learned and was able to simplify things.  I still spend time in the kitchen on weekends...but it's a few hours, not a whole day.  Point is, you may feel overwhelmed at first, but recognize that is part of the learning and while one thing may work for some, it won't work for another.  If you like crock pot cooking, then go for it, but if you have a gourmet pallet with a beer budget and an alarm clock ticking away, then find ways to compromise and limit your adventures.  You will find that people introduce things, like coconut aminos, and you have no clue what they are.  Just pop out and ask the question either here or in an independent forum and you'll find people very willing to help. 

For me, what really worked was going into the first week with my known "safe" staples. You know....things I knew I could manage to cook that were compliant.  But at the end of week one I was ready to be adventuresome so I spent time researching recipes.  The options were endless which is part of the reason it's overwhelming.  From that moment on I opted to make only one or two new recipes for the week.  And the amazing learning experience was that I found recipes that were far more awesome than anything I've ever made before.  Finally...Homeade Mayo.  Very simple and quite frankly, I don't care if I EVER eat processed mayo again. It's simply the best!  After completing my first Whole 30 I settled into my new food choices....but it's time to mix it up again and learn more so I'm looking forward to getting out new recipes again!

@Ashley - Before Whole 30 round one I used to drink just about as much diet soda.  Can't say I was a great eater at the time of joining either.  Point is, we're here to support your transitions and struggle with you.  Ask questions and be honest about what is going on for you in the moment.  You'll find a lot of support and resources to help you get through a crunch.  For example, I really MISSED my soda.  Really missed in for the first few days.  Then I realized I could live without it but I needed something other than water to drink if I was going to avoid soda.  I threw the question out and people came up with options to try.  So I ventured out and purchased some of the recommendations and you know what...AWESOME alternatives!  So, don't think because it's hard, there aren't options. 

Looking so forward to the 6th.  I'm trying to get into the flow but have decided to start week one as simply as I did the last round so not much planning, only preparing a few compliant Whole 30 foods to get me threw until I'm in the swing of things.  4 days and counting!

So........I want to know, how many of us 'first timers' are going to take BEFORE pictures?  I'm thinking about it but haven't convinced myself yet.  If I do, it will definitely be a selfie.  Wouldn't dare let anyone else take it.   :o

@Tinytl  I did not weight myself or do measurements the first round.  Rationale was that I didn't want to focus on weight (even though I needed to lose weight, I wanted it to be about finding satiety and enjoying healthy choices).  At the end I did weigh myself but had nothing to compare it to.  My learning,....I wish I had done the preliminary work so that I could truly have evaluated the physical changes as well as the physiologic changes. 

Robert did a great job of doing some pre/post evaluation and I'll let him share that.  It was awesome to see his results and made me wish I had thought to do the same. 

Hi everyone,

This is my first Whole30.  I'm looking forward to starting on Jan 6th.  I have started and stopped so many different programs in the last 5 years so I'm really trying to commit to this and hope to see/feel results.

I hope to gain more energy, get back my confidence, drop pounds even though I know that is not the main goal and to feel more balanced in my eating and exercise habits.

I've never joined one of these groups so I hope we can all encourage each other to reach our goals.

Thanks and good luck!

First, welcome to marybrazzy!  So happy you took the big step of joining us on our journey.  I love that you hope to gain more energy and confidence and feel more balanced in your eating and exercise habits.  A word of warning to us all -- it is highly likely that you will feel worse before you feel better.  I am a pretty energetic guy but my first Whole 30 stopped me in my tracks.  After a week all I wanted to do was lay down on the floor and not move (not good when you have a 2 and 4 year old jumping on your gut every five minutes).  Be prepared for this:  http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Second, tinytl, no biggie either way IMHO.  But my 2 cents, take the photo and put it in the lockbox.  After 30 days you can keep it or delete it.  My guess is that most Whole 30 before photos go into the recycle bin and the after photos may be shared with a person or two that we are close to.  You won't get day 1 back again.  A before / after photo or scale or measurement are just a few tools.  If you do this right, your after photo will show change compared to your before photo.  During my first Whole 30 I stripped a layer of chub and looked better (at least according to my Mom and Wife).  The bigger questions I asked myself on day 31 were whether I was living a more fulfilled life?  Do I feel better?  Am I more energetic for my family, my work, my life?  Am I happier?  Should I lean harder in this "real food" direction as a lifestyle?  So it's up to you.  I say take the photo and adopt WildcatMomma's battle cry , "ready to get this party started!"

Thanks for the reassurance, I tend to overthink things ;) All of your comments are very reassuring! Just went and found some ghee (couldn't bring myself to buy lard yet, one step at a time, lol) but after your comments @greek to me I might try & make my own! I recently bought a thermomix so I'm a bit excited to try & make some of the things I haven't gotten around to yet, like curry paste and almond milk!! I have made mayo quite a bit but it'll be nice to eat it without feeling guilty about the fat in it!

Your enthusiasm is infectious! I think you're right about feeling yuck, @robert2014, but boy am I looking forward to getting to the other side of that!!! :D

I'm definitely going to take a photo @tintyl! I'm not planning on showing anyone, mind you, but I'd like to be able to compare & see what differences this will make!

Feeling excited now, bring on Monday :D

Hi, I'm Jen, and my husband and I will be starting our second Whole30 on January 6th as well!

I'm a long-time lurker and decided to join the forums this time for the extra support. My first Whole30 last July went well-- I slept better, I was less irritable, I stopped subsisting on processed junk and diet root beer, and some skin issues I'd had for a while improved. Most importantly, I learned I definitely have a gluten sensitivity, and I've done an excellent job of avoiding it since. I no longer go to bed bloated, exhausted, cranky, and headachey because I'm not eating bread, tortillas, cookies, crackers (you get the idea) all day long anymore.

For the second Whole30 I have to break up with my scale. The first time around I was married to the scale and weighed in daily, which is a habit I've had for YEARS. Also, I never quite defeated my sugar or dairy dragons and need to work on conquering those cravings. Not being able to have a breve latte is going to make me want to kill all the things for sure. I've been off-roading more and more since Halloween, but now that the holidays are over I'm ready to get back on track! I miss having Tiger Blood and feeling turbocharged!

Good luck, everyone!

Tintyl - I took a selfie but I am not going to post it for the world to see. It is just for me to remember better what I looked like at the beginning. My best before and after are the coloniscopies I have done - way more dramatic than any changes on the outside for me! (Not sharing those with the world either, though! ^_^ )

Day 8 for me today. I need some tiger blood. Or at least two kids that would sleep through the night. *sips coffee, trying to stay awake at my desk* True about feeling worse before feeling better, Robert.

I'm not sure that I'd try it without my thermomix, I'm not the most enthusiastic cook but because I have one & it makes it so easy I'm going to give it a go! It's a really amazing machine, only downside is that apparently they're not available in US (that an they cost a bomb). I already make vegetable stock regularly & that's all whole50 compliant but was reading on the forums that curry paste is difficult to find without sugar so I thought I'd give it a go! Went to the shop this arvo to have a look & one curry paste had sugar listed as it's second ingredient :o

Almond milk seems really simple, with or without a fancy machine! Time consuming but only cause you're soaking almonds, so not particularly labour intensive!! I bought some nut milk bags from eBay months ago so it's about time I used them (I think they cost about $3!!). Below is a link to both almond milk recipes, with thermomix & without :)

http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/recipes/almond-milk/52154

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-almond-milk-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-189996

Hmm, googling, this recipe looks good & no sugar in sight :) The one I had downloaded already was similar, it said it lasts 2 weeks in the fridge in an airtight container, or that you freeze in ice cube tray & would be fine in freezer for 4 months + Thinking I'll make some Sunday afternoon so I can spice things up when I need!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/easy-homemade-curry-pastes

Archived