January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Good morning all!

Very exciting to see how many people are jumping on our Whole 30 bandwagon !!  Way to go Team J6:)

Am on day 2 (after a restart on day 6).  Feeling good ~ Honestly, am not feeling bad about the slip of the veggies, chicken and guacamole I ate as Im looking at it  as learning experience and it shows me I really need to hit the internet BEFORE I head out to a restaurant.  

Right at my start, I did weigh in  and made a note of my measurements...did not take a photo ~ I will probably weigh in a couple of times per week (yes, I know it's against the rules...the scale and my urge to snack are my demons)  Im working on them :)  The support from this group is amazing and I feel confident that they will be overcome as we move through our Whole 30 together.

This weekend will find me doing a "cook up " on Sunday ~ I have been doing some batch cooking on the weekends (either Saturday or Sunday ~ whichever the schedule allows) to prepare 2 or 3 meals to have ready for the week.  This has been a tremendous help for my husband and I.  We are able to just reheat something and throw in some extra veggies on the side.  Im a fan of the crock pot and always have at least 1 meal from that each week. 

I did make a Paleo Shepards Pie on New Years Day ~ oh my goodness ~ comfort food at its finest and we are not feeling deprived at all ~ anyone interested in the recipe, just let me know and I'll find the link to post. 

My copy of Well Fed 2 arrived yesterday and I will pull a couple of new things to prepare for next week.  Fortunately, (or not) its very quiet here as we just got dumped with a foot of snow...so my phone is not ringing.  I work as a loan originator ~ holidays and bad weather are slow times for my business.  Gives me a bit more time to give some new foods/ recipes.

Really very happy that our group is growing and that we will all be able to share our day to day experiences with the W30!! 

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Best

Cheryl

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am joining for my first Whole 30 - Jan 6th!  I have been eating paleo for almost 2 years... but have been eating way too many paleo treats as of late.  I am looking forward to cleaning it up, and am glad to have a group here to go to for support.  

Hi, everyone! I'm new here, starting my first Whole30 on Monday. I've not done this type of diet before (well, I did attempt South Beach a few years ago, but that's about as close as I've gotten). I've lost about 80 lbs with exercising and counting calories. I've been WAYYY off the wagon for a few months, so I'm looking to detox and get all of this crap out of my system so I can get back on the right track! I have found in the past that I've felt MUCH better when I've limited processed foods. I'm not a veggie eater, though, so I've got some major adjustments to make!

Looking forward to following everyone here! We can do this! :)

Oh my goodness.  I can't believe the number of you who have jumped on board.  I'm so excited!!!  One of the greatest support to completing my last Whole 30 was celebrating the joys with a group, and throwing out the worries to the group.  So it's awesome to share with you all. 

There is no way for me to keep up with the number of people who have joined in so I apologize if I don't specifically recognize anyone.  You'll all be great to journey with as we move forward.  I do have a few thoughts from some recent posts so just in case this helps...here's some thoughts for you...

@Wildcat:  Ghee is easy.  Clarified butter.  Melt butter, skim off foam (salt) from top) refrigerate.  Poke hole in the formed portion.  Invert and drain off the liquid that settles to the bottom (milkfat).  Once drained, loosen the solid portion (typically very easy to do once milk is drained) and scrape off bottom for extra milk.  Depending on the frequency of use, one pound lasted me two months.  Doesn't really spoil and adds great flavor to veggies.

@Tazschick and Bunkybean - The first time I did Whole 30, I spent my first Saturday cooking.  The ENTIRE day.  As grouchy as that made me, it was a good learning opportunity.  I am one of those people who has to cook food on the weekend for the weekdays so that I don't spend hours in the kitchen at night. on weekdays. So the whole day spent in the kitchen on a Saturday kind of unnerved me.  But then I learned and was able to simplify things.  I still spend time in the kitchen on weekends...but it's a few hours, not a whole day.  Point is, you may feel overwhelmed at first, but recognize that is part of the learning and while one thing may work for some, it won't work for another.  If you like crock pot cooking, then go for it, but if you have a gourmet pallet with a beer budget and an alarm clock ticking away, then find ways to compromise and limit your adventures.  You will find that people introduce things, like coconut aminos, and you have no clue what they are.  Just pop out and ask the question either here or in an independent forum and you'll find people very willing to help. 

For me, what really worked was going into the first week with my known "safe" staples. You know....things I knew I could manage to cook that were compliant.  But at the end of week one I was ready to be adventuresome so I spent time researching recipes.  The options were endless which is part of the reason it's overwhelming.  From that moment on I opted to make only one or two new recipes for the week.  And the amazing learning experience was that I found recipes that were far more awesome than anything I've ever made before.  Finally...Homeade Mayo.  Very simple and quite frankly, I don't care if I EVER eat processed mayo again. It's simply the best!  After completing my first Whole 30 I settled into my new food choices....but it's time to mix it up again and learn more so I'm looking forward to getting out new recipes again!

@Ashley - Before Whole 30 round one I used to drink just about as much diet soda.  Can't say I was a great eater at the time of joining either.  Point is, we're here to support your transitions and struggle with you.  Ask questions and be honest about what is going on for you in the moment.  You'll find a lot of support and resources to help you get through a crunch.  For example, I really MISSED my soda.  Really missed in for the first few days.  Then I realized I could live without it but I needed something other than water to drink if I was going to avoid soda.  I threw the question out and people came up with options to try.  So I ventured out and purchased some of the recommendations and you know what...AWESOME alternatives!  So, don't think because it's hard, there aren't options. 

Looking so forward to the 6th.  I'm trying to get into the flow but have decided to start week one as simply as I did the last round so not much planning, only preparing a few compliant Whole 30 foods to get me threw until I'm in the swing of things.  4 days and counting!

@Greek to me - I am definitely interested in getting your suggestions for things to drink besides water. I am not looking forward to the headaches that are sure to come! Thanks! 

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank you for the advice re. food prep.  I just came up with a shopping list to send to my husband and tried to be reasonable about what I can put together over the weekend.  Alas I am one of those people who try to do all the things all at once, so it's good to manage my expectations.  Also this: 

if you have a gourmet pallet with a beer budget and an alarm clock ticking away, then find ways to compromise and limit your adventures.  

is hilarious and describes me to a T.

Good luck to all and if you, like me, are somewhere buried in snow, hope the weekend is cozy and productive.

So glad today is not Day 1......my son just graduated from college and has been home for two weeks.  Today is the day he is formally moving out.....and I am a basket case.  This is almost as bad as the day he left for college.  Going to try and do some prep.......mixing some sausage, meatloaf and meatballs - but all with a really heavy heart.  I know he'll only be 30 minutes away, but my heart says he's gone forever from our home......He is the only, so that's probably why it is so difficult.

Hi Everyone!

I will also be jumping in January 6th (I guess technically sort of today, but I still need to grocery shop and go through more of the planning stage)!

I saw some people mentioned "Daily Emails" in their posts. Does that happen automatically when you sign up, or how do I ensure I don't miss out on that?

I can't say I am too worried about cutting any foods out (my husband is on board too, although he is not commiting to the whole30), but I do get "snacky" when I am bored or want to distract myself. I feel like I could get really good use out of the forum, by coming here rather than scouting out what's in the fridge when I find myself in "idle" time.

Really looking forward to doing my first whole30!

Amy

@Ashley- Robert mentioned LaCroix above and they have several flavors. Unfortunately not all stores carry them yet (at least here). Alternatives are Canada Dry or Seagrams sparkling waters. My favorite so far has been pomegranate cherry Canada Dry but that's highly subjective so you'll have to do your trial and error.

One word of caution or a recommendation. Bite the bullet and detox from soda first. If you come off one and swap out the other instantaneously you'll be very disappointed. I didn't introduce the sparkling water in my first week. I'm grateful that I waited. Point being-you cannot replace soda. Period. You can however find healthy alternates to your soda consumption.

And on a note of encouragement-a funny thing happened when I gave up soda. One day a week later I had a craving for plain water. That was a first in a long time.

Good success!

@Ashley- Robert mentioned LaCroix above and they have several flavors. Unfortunately not all stores carry them yet (at least here). Alternatives are Canada Dry or Seagrams sparkling waters. My favorite so far has been pomegranate cherry Canada Dry but that's highly subjective so you'll have to do your trial and error.

One word of caution or a recommendation. Bite the bullet and detox from soda first. If you come off one and swap out the other instantaneously you'll be very disappointed. I didn't introduce the sparkling water in my first week. I'm grateful that I waited. Point being-you cannot replace soda. Period. You can however find healthy alternates to your soda consumption.

And on a note of encouragement-a funny thing happened when I gave up soda. One day a week later I had a craving for plain water. That was a first in a long time.

Good success!

I saw some people mentioned "Daily Emails" in their posts. Does that happen automatically when you sign up, or how do I ensure I don't miss out on that?

Welcome aboard Amy!

The Whole 30 Daily email does not happen automatically.  It is different than signing into the forum as a member.

If you want the Daily, you go here, enter your information, and pay $14.95:  https://daily.whole9life.com/signups/new

Just a couple of days away and I'm so ready for my reboot! Hi to all the new folks here! I have my spices and pantry staples stocked. Tomorrow I'll get all my produce and proteins for the week. I'm also blogging about it if anyone is interested. www.idrankthecfkoolaid.com

It's mostly a blog about my workouts but since I'm doing Whole30 I'm documenting along the way.

One thing that helped during my last Whole30 was different teas! Chai Spice, Lemongrass, Mint, all kinds of tea. Especially when water seems to get boring. Just make sure you check the ingredients of the tea... some of them get sneaky and add "stuff" that isn't compliant :/

Wooooo.... stay focused y'all!

Hi All,

I, too, would like to start on January 6th. It's a perfect day for me because, being Greek Orthodox, it's the day of Theophany. Beautiful!

I've been trying to start everyday since I started exploring this program about a week ago. But I keep failing because of the food in my house. I've had house guests, and I love to bake. I set myself up for failure because I'm baking my favorite sweets and I'm eating them. I thought that I'd have strong reserve and willpower. But "hunger" is a strong feeling and it's just so easy to grab one of those delicious "treats."

So January 6th is looking like a very doable start date for me. I did purchase the emails, and the Day 0 one is excellent. But I haven't done all the planning required, and I'm sure that's another downfall for me.

I'm reading "It Starts With Food." I find it to be excellent, though I'm coming from the opposite end of the "No Sugar or Flour" spectrum. For the past two years I've been on a whole-foods, plant-based diet. I have to say that carbohydrate cravings are the worse thing I deal with. I binge eat for a few days (all highly-processed carbs), and then eat "healthy" for a few days. This cycle has been going on for just about all of my life and I'm sick of it! So, learning that eliminating the grains althogether would help the cravings to desist sounds real good! I'm ready to do the experiment and find out if eating the Whole30 way will actually help me.

I also am looking forward to finding help and support from this forum. This is a long thread! I've read the first three pages and will come back to read the rest later.

Blessing to All!

Lara

im starting jan 6th with you all... there i said it! ;-)

am I supposed to actualy sign up somewhere for this (or is posting it here and yelling it from the roof tops enough)or is that just if I want to get the news letter thing?

I am new to all of this Whole30 stuff, and was thinking of the 6th for a start date before I joined these forums. I see that many of you have been planning to do this Jan. 6 start for several weeks. Do you think i can start Monday, since I just started reading today?

Day Three of W30 4.0 here, and I am surprised at how quickly events return: the true to life dream. This time, drinking orange juice like there's no tomorrow! Bizarre--thank goodness it was a DREAM! Otherwise, it's been a good few days. Good luck to you all as you clean out your pantries and fridges. Don't forget to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!  

And yes, @dovely, you can start, but make a plan and get ready. Read up on the rules and how-to's, check out the forum threads, get some shopping in, and as Melissa and Dallas say: Do it! Do it right now!  :)

I'm new to it too, Dovely! Can't see why it'd be a problem starting Monday! You've got the whole weekend to get organised & get your head around it :) The Hartwigs originally did it when they first got the idea, according to the book, just got stuck in! Good plan, I think!

Thank you, @Tazschick200 and @crazycow. I do feel like if I don't start now, I won't do it at all. It'll take me the weekend to learn the rules and do the shopping, but after that, I think i have to go or it'll be no-go for a long time.

I know this has probably been said before, but where are the best places (other than the forums) to get help?

A little concerned that this website won't pass the nuclear firewall at work and I may be cut off all day during the weekdays.

Also DIET COKE!

I need to find people who feel my pain on this very vital part of my life. lol.

I apologize in advance if I bug the crap out of everyone. :)

Thank you, @Tazschick200 and @crazycow. I do feel like if I don't start now, I won't do it at all. It'll take me the weekend to learn the rules and do the shopping, but after that, I think i have to go or it'll be no-go for a long time.

I know this has probably been said before, but where are the best places (other than the forums) to get help?

The forum is the best place to get your questions answers and get ongoing support on your Whole30.

Reading to get you started:

- The Whole30 program: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

- Meal template : http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

- Shopping list: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

Bring on Monday -- I'm ready!!  Got the meal plan for the first week done today and plan to do my shopping tomorrow. Sunday I'll prepare a few 'do ahead' recipes while the momentum is still high.  And yes, I will also take a few before snapshots and measurements.   :)​    

I'm joining in to start my third W30 on the 6th. I started a successful thread back in July that was SO instrumental to my success on the program. It's great to have a network of virtual friends with whom to commiserate and celebrate accordingly. 

Good luck to all!! 

In my first W30, I saw more changes in my before and after pictures than in my measurements or weight. I could see the difference, and I was very glad I did the pictures.

@dovely: Sometimes it's better to jump in with both feet before you have a chance to back out. :D 

Archived