January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Robert...LOL.  I think you nailed it about Chinese food.

Ok gang...we're at 61!  61 people on this forum to share and commiserate with....AND celebrate together in about 32 days.  I'm including the 9 who are starting at alternate dates in the 61 because you're here with us.  Yes gauntlet down.  Let's set some Whole 30 records and finish together!

Actually for any moderators out there, has there ever been a group record and if so, what is it? 

I know, I know, I have competitive issues :)

Happy prep day tomorrow all! 

Hi everyone,

I am doing my first Whole 30 starting on the 6th. I have 3 people in my life who are doing it with me and I went grocery shopping today with one of them. We hit up Whole Food and Central Market for the food. I then went home and pre-cut up all the veggies so I can throw them into any scenario {egg scramble or stir fry}. Tomorrow I am going to prep some foods in advance because I live a tight life {I normally have 20 minutes or less to get changed and get to CrossFit after work}. I feel prepared for week 1. I have read "It Starts with Food" and understand why it is so important for me to give up these foods for 30 days.

Tomorrow I will be taking pictures of myself, both profile and face. I want to see if there is a difference in my skin during these 30 days. I am also measuring myself. 

I am majorly addicted to sugar. I expect to feel tweaky the first week and probably have a headache. I have done a 10 day cleanse before {with Advocare} so I can anticipate the beginning. I am wondering what to expect once week 3 kicks in. 

I do have a question--since I CrossFit 4 times a week--what is an easily digestible protein? Eggs? I want to have the correct snack for my post-WOD snack. Plus, my workout happens at 6:30pm and I usually eat dinner when I get home, but it's over 30 minutes after the workout. Any tips to navigate this would be appreciated.

I will be blogging about this too--I am the consummate over-thinker and love writing about how things are going. And since there are 5 people in my life who are considering doing this, they have said they are looking to this to see what they should expect. http://xinesbattleofherbulge.com/

~ Christine

Make that 62

Xine23 Welcome!

In answer to your question about pre-workout meal...I typically eat a hard boiled egg.  That's enough to give me energy and is compliant with the Whole 30 plan.  Sometimes I eat a whole egg and one egg white.  Depends on the workout. 

Re. the post work out meal, how long after your w/o does it take for you to sit down for dinner.  You said longer than 1/2 hour but you also mentioned you did Crossfit at 6:30 p.m.   If I do the math, and assume that you are doing Crossfit for one hour, that means you're done at 7:30p.m.   So...how late do you eat dinner if it's more than 1/2 hour later? 

The reason for asking is because if it's more than 1/2 hour but not quite an hour, I might just call it a wash and eat the full meal. 

If this is the case and ends up being what you do, pay attention to your hunger cues the next day. 

I found that if I didn't eat my pre/post w/o meals, I was hungrier the next day or later that same day. 

Point being, tune in, listen/hear, assess and adjust accordingly as best to the guidelines as you can.

Hope that helps!

Welcome Christine & Co.!  I also CF 4x per week.  At either 4:00 or 5:00 p.m.

During my first W30, that post-WO meal was a challenge for me.  Say I finish at 5:00 and am home at 5:15.  Dinner is on the table at 5:45.  Outside of the 30 minute window.

But it seemed nonsensical to eat a 1/2 meal when I got home at 5:30 and then eat a whole meal 15 minutes later.

So I would just have a bit of protein and a veggie on the fly my short drive home.  AKA leftovers from lunch.

"Easily digestible" -- pick your poison for this one.  A small hunk of chicken or egg sided with a couple chomps on a raw sweet potato should do the trick.  Nothing fancy here -- this just seems to be an important 3, 2, 1 "down the hatch" component if your dinner is going to follow shortly thereafter.

Hi everyone, We'll it's just after 8am & I'm thinking of the busy day ahead. More food shopping & lots of cooking/prepping.

Good luck to you all starting tomorrow & I look forward to reading how day 1 goes for you all.

Let's do this together :)

Yay, feeling excited!, it's nearly 9:00 pm here, soon I'll be off to bed! Looking forward to starting this tomorrow! Can only see benefits to me & hubby!! I know it'll be difficult initially but to here of the success some of you have had before is so inspiring,

Planning a tuna and veg omelette for brekkie! With a coffee with coconut milk (that'll be a first!). Really looking forward to feeling healthier & more energetic!!

Good luck to all 61? of us!!

@LorenaSasse you've got it. We're a friendly bunch here. Questions, concerns, or just a sounding board, this forum is a pretty good place for it all. Good luck with tomorrow--and to you all 6 Jan starters!

Day 5 here...

Getting mentally prepared, and have some basic food prep done. I will be on my own here while hubby stays with his traditional stuff.

Non compliant foods will be out of sight and all good food will be always available

I read about this plan a couple of years ago but knew I couldn't do it then. Now I am so fed up with my bad habits that I am really looking forward to it.

To help me with mometum, I will post here every day

I have also been reading It Starts with Food, all that information really helps. The biggest challenge will be dealing with that voice in the head that says ..you are not worth it.. I am worth it, I can do this...yes I can!! Yes YOU can

Have a great day

Good morning, all!  I'm joining this journey tomorrow as well.  How I got here?  I'm a mother of three children (two are autistic with gluten intolerance) and I am also a spouse, an only child and a physician who has always advocated for a Paleo-style diet in my patients.  Taking care of others is what I do.

But I totally suck at taking care of myself.  I suffer from obesity, Sjogren's Syndrome, Lupus or RA and some other autoimmune issues.  No diabetes yet.  So I know, and have known, I need to get things under control.  It's time for me to be important.

The commitment you newbies and experienced folks have made is so impressive to me.  I believe I will learn so much from you in this conversation.  One thing I worry about is doing the Whole30 a la autoimmune plan.  I love eggs and have never sensed them to be a problem and spices are a big deal to me because I love to cook.  I'm not sure how to get enough protein without eggs without getting bored or going broke and I would love suggestions on immune-neutral spices and flavorings. 

Gotta get going on my shopping list and beat the weather to the store.

I wish you all well.

Re. the post work out meal, how long after your w/o does it take for you to sit down for dinner.  You said longer than 1/2 hour but you also mentioned you did Crossfit at 6:30 p.m.   If I do the math, and assume that you are doing Crossfit for one hour, that means you're done at 7:30p.m.   So...how late do you eat dinner if it's more than 1/2 hour later? 

I usually eat a little after 8pm, latest 8:30pm. I have already pre-cut up the veggies and protein, so I am hoping to eat almost as soon as I walk in the door--make a quick stir fry or something. Teach my husband how to make it, so I can have dinner when I walk in the door.

My job starts at 8am but the traffic to get to work is an hour's commute, thus the morning workouts are not feasible if I want to shower and not gross people out at work. I leave at 5pm, making it impossible to get to the 5:30pm workout. That is why I go to the 6:30pm class. I would go earlier if I could!

Thanks for all the helpful replies! Seriously good ideas and tips for an active lifestyle!!

~Christine

Good morning, all!  I'm joining this journey tomorrow as well.  How I got here?  I'm a mother of three children (two are autistic with gluten intolerance) and I am also a spouse, an only child and a physician who has always advocated for a Paleo-style diet in my patients.  Taking care of others is what I do.

But I totally suck at taking care of myself.  I suffer from obesity, Sjogren's Syndrome, Lupus or RA and some other autoimmune issues.  No diabetes yet.  So I know, and have known, I need to get things under control.  It's time for me to be important.

The commitment you newbies and experienced folks have made is so impressive to me.  I believe I will learn so much from you in this conversation.  One thing I worry about is doing the Whole30 a la autoimmune plan.  I love eggs and have never sensed them to be a problem and spices are a big deal to me because I love to cook.  I'm not sure how to get enough protein without eggs without getting bored or going broke and I would love suggestions on immune-neutral spices and flavorings. 

Gotta get going on my shopping list and beat the weather to the store.

I wish you all well.

Getting mentally prepared, and have some basic food prep done. I will be on my own here while hubby stays with his traditional stuff.

Non compliant foods will be out of sight and all good food will be always available

I read about this plan a couple of years ago but knew I couldn't do it then. Now I am so fed up with my bad habits that I am really looking forward to it.

To help me with mometum, I will post here every day

I have also been reading It Starts with Food, all that information really helps. The biggest challenge will be dealing with that voice in the head that says ..you are not worth it.. I am worth it, I can do this...yes I can!! Yes YOU can

Have a great day

Good morning everyone.  I just wanted to tell the folks above, and everyone else, that YOU ARE WORTH IT!.  You deserve to feel energetic and healthy.  You deserve good, delicious food and to take care of yourself FIRST!  Take these 30 days and reset … if you take care of yourself you set an example for everyone around you!  You deserve this! You are worth this care and so much more!

I'm starting a Whole100 today.  That means today through April 14th!  It's my third go at a Whole30 and I've been eating Paleo/Primal for over 2 years so I'm confident I will not only survive, but thrive.

I'm 35 yrs old and love the Paleo lifestyle.  I'm also single and live in Manhattan, so I'll be reintroducing moderate amounts of wine after 30 days (otherwise I suffer from social withdrawal :wacko:).

I got way off track this holiday season and to top it off I just got back from an all inclusive vacation in Punta Cana (buffets are murder).  I gained 15 lbs in one month from eating carbs again!  I respond very well to Paleo and love the way I look, feel, and perform once I shake the sugar demon (2 - 3 weeks).  I've been able to sustain an intense group workout 2x per week plus 1 pole dance class despite falling off the Paleo wagon. 

I'm excited for these 3 months of winter renewal and I also commit to:

Stick to my meditation practice and incorporate loving kindness

Wear my FitBit

Leave work by 7:30pm most nights

Add additional Saturday pole dance class 2x per month

Gotta go cook up my week 1 meals - using recipes from one of my favorite websites: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/

Good luck everyone!  We can do this!  

Hi All,

I'm doing my first Whole30 starting January 6th as well. I already eat (mostly) paleo but this is my first attempt at such a clean eating routine. Cutting out the cream in my morning coffee has me on edge I have to admit. But I'll just take the days as they come.

Excited to start tomorrow, and good luck to all!

Ashley

Day 1 for me. Easy! (Thanks to all the prep I did. ;) )

I've got some slicing and dicing to do this afternoon for the week, and some spice mixes to make (I found sage on sale at the store this morning and bought some to dry...sage salt!). However, I'm nice and cozy on the couch with the cat...

Breakfast, yum! Made an veggie omelette and coffee with coconut milk! Wasn't sure I'd like that but it was delicious! Feeling good so far, only 29 & 3/4 days to go, lol ;P Was thinking that I might pulverise some whole lemons and put in soda water as a fresh kind of drink, that wouldn't count as a fruit serve or a snack if I had it between meals, or would it? Don't want to muck myself up! If you're gonna do it, may as well do it properly :)

Ashley,

It took me my 2nd Whole30 to accept that dairy does not do well by me.  After reintroducing I experienced headaches, fogginess and almost immediate sinus infections/head colds.  

I was happy doing Primal before and did NOT want to give up the creamy stuff, but once I cut the addiction I'm like a better version of myself and it makes it easier to ditch dairy.

Taking the days as they come sounds like a good plan.  Some people can tolerate a bit of cream/butter anyhow.  At least you're giving yourself the opportunity to test it out for your own body.

Also, I've been drinking instant espresso with coconut milk for years now.  It's delicious - I don't bother with the nut milks I think they're too watery.

Good luck!

Cutting out the cream in my morning coffee has me on edge I have to admit. But I'll just take the days as they come.

Tazschick2000,

I know part of the Whole30 is a commitment to eat 3 square meals a day, but one of the draws for Paleo for me is that I stop the maniacal counting of calories, carbs, chips, points, what have you.  If I do need a snack, I have an apple (not everyday) and get on with it.

Good for you for wanting to stick to the rules and squeeze every benefit out of the 30 days, but give yourself a pat on the back and kick up your heels a bit.  You will likely see great benefits just following the basic outline of the plan. 

The soda water is fine, it really doesn't count as anything other than water.  I like to drink all natural fizz water also to distract myself that I'm not drinking wine with my dinner ^_^.

Good luck, you're going to do great! 

Was thinking that I might pulverise some whole lemons and put in soda water as a fresh kind of drink, that wouldn't count as a fruit serve or a snack if I had it between meals, or would it? Don't want to muck myself up! If you're gonna do it, may as well do it properly :)

Archived