Sleep and shift work

nerdie88

Some people are probable going to think I'm a little weird for complaining about this, but I'd really love some input. I'm a 12hour shift worker and right now I'm dreading the impending lack of sleep for 24 hours.

I'm on day 15 of my whole30, and I have never had a more consistent sleeping pattern. I fall asleep around 10 and wake up around 7. I cannot go other movies after 10, I fall asleep! And I can't nap.

Last night shift I worked I was on day 2. I feel asleep at my desk at 4 am. I work in a busy emerg. I cannot be sleeping. Is there any suggestions on how to get my sleeping habits more in line with my job? I got the food down and I am managing that well, I don't know what to do about the sleeping. I'm actually thinking I was better off before. Last night I had a coffee at 930, hoping it would keep me awake a few hours longer, no such luck.

Anyways, see what I mean about complain about developing good sleeping patterns? If I worked a 9-5 job, I'd be set.

I worked night shift for many years before finally making the move to day shift. My best advice is to work your nights all in a row if you can - that way you can switch back to a day schedule for a few days at a time. During the 'work time' make sure you are getting as much quality sleep as possible. Black out curtains are key here! Try to avoid caffeine. I know it sounds counterintuitive but it will just mess with your sleep on the other end. I would have a coffee or tea on my drive in to work and then just water for the next 12 hours. Eat as clean as you can and bring twice as much food as you think you'll eat. Also bring a variety of foods - you never know what you're going to want at 4am so make sure you have lots of options for the sleepy cranky times. If you're doing a few shifts in a row don't worry so much about exercise - you have to make sleep your priority..really..

Good Luck!!

~Anita

My hard-learned lesson: Watch out for overdoing the exercise when working nights. I really used to make my body crazy in the past, working out hard after work, when I'd have been better off getting extra sleep. Cortisol.

That said, if you can get a before-work workout in, some people find it helps with their energy levels.

I've also tried Dr Jack Kruse's technique of finishing eating breakfast within 30 minutes of rising (not starting to eat, 100% finished) and I did find that helpful when I felt out of whack. I am however a slow eater so I found I had to pre-cook my breakfasts to be able to do this.

I also like ginger/lemongrass tea instead of coffee, it's got a kind of bite to it, but no caffiene to mess you up.

Archived