Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Day three. 

Holy cow - I have a very short tollerance for people today.  Which is not good as I work in customer service.  LOL

I have to remind myself before I pick up the phone that it's not their fault I feel like this.  OYE!

Looking forward to a big meal prep day on Sunday.

I start school again on the 20th so I will be eating all three meals on Mondays and Wednesdays on the go.

Any suggestions for meals I can make ahead, that travel well and can be eaten cold if need be, would be awesome!

Steph

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 and I feel great!   

So far I don't think I have been tested much.  All my meals are ones that I cooked myself so it has not been too hard.  But with the weekend coming up, I'm sure things will get tougher.  My energy is good although my sleep hasn't been the best.  I wake up around 3am and then toss and turn for a few hours.  But otherwise, I'm enjoying the food and how I feel.  I am especially loving my homemade mayo that for the first time I made with my immersion blender -- so easy!  

Happy Day 3 everybody!

Another day down! I'm still feeling good, which makes me nervous. Day 3 of my last whole30 I could barely drag myself out of bed and this morning I woke up almost an hour before my alarm. Hmmm. I guess every round is different.

Had egg salad with homemade mayo and broccoli for breakfast and will probably have chowder for lunch, and chili for dinner (both with lots of veggies on the side). It's so nice not having to cook for the next few days. 

Emily - I'm in Ohio and the snow is starting to drive me crazy. I hate driving on slushy roads so I didn't leave the house at all yesterday. That's not an option today. I plan to give myself plenty of time to get around and just crawl along the streets.

Have a lovely Day 3!

Day 3 and I feel AWFUL!!!  I had a good breakfast, but then was hit with waves of nausea (to the point of dry heaving...sorry if TMI).  Am still confident in my eating plan for the day if I can get through feeling like crap. 

Breakfast today:  3 scrambled eggs w/coconut oil, sun dried tomatoes, basil & spinach

sauteed apple slices w/cinnamon

1/2 avocado

coffee w/coconut oil

Anyone else feeling my pain?!

----------

Juleslynn - I'm no expert, but I did a W30 last March and spent quite a bit of time reading on this site. I would suggest adding some starchy veg to your breakfast - maybe some sweet potato or squash (I like acorn squash a lot - less sweet than sweet potatoes). There are lots of great ideas here if you search for starchy carbs. Starchy carbs were really important for my initial adjustment phase, and based on what I've read, the same has been true for many folks.

Day 3 and I feel great!   

So far I don't think I have been tested much.  All my meals are ones that I cooked myself so it has not been too hard.  But with the weekend coming up, I'm sure things will get tougher.  My energy is good although my sleep hasn't been the best.  I wake up around 3am and then toss and turn for a few hours.  But otherwise, I'm enjoying the food and how I feel.  I am especially loving my homemade mayo that for the first time I made with my immersion blender -- so easy!  

Happy Day 3 everybody!

--------

Thor - I know there are a few threads on the forum about odd sleep patterns and suggestions for dealing with them. If the 3 am thing continues (ugh!), you might poke around and see if any of the advice works for you.

Good morning Day 3.  Today is my birthday but don't really like cake anyway so won't miss it.  The nice thing is that my birthday marks the end of the holiday season excesses, so it has always been when I start over each year.

My goal this whole30 is to keep my menus simple.  Will have bone broth to sip while reading the newspaper; then sauteed spinach with fried eggs for breakfast.  M2 will be out somewhere - probably chicken and grilled veggies.  M3 will be out at my favorite restaurant for a big ol' steak and grilled veggies. A green apple for snack and we're good to go.

The kids did well yesterday.  I'm nervous about gearing up for back to school lunches but will plan the first week.  Again, simple is what I am going for.  They loved the best chicken you'll ever eat, so I made up extra to send in their lunches next week.  My son actually ASKED for pureed carrots at dinner last night!  Good boy.  My daughter loves tomatoes, so we're good to go on that end.

Helen - totally agree on the fat thing. I think that's why W30 works so well for me: I'm "allowed" to eat fats, and I had no idea how satiating fat was and how important it is to keep you full between one meal and the next. I think I probably eat more fat that ISWF suggests but I don't worry about it because I really trust my body to tell me now (and I still lose weight and feel good so I figure that works).

I had kill all the things today, but I was in a furniture store with 3 kids under 7 as we were trying to select furniture for their bedrooms, so I'm not sure if kill all the things was related to my food intake at all! Generally I am cruising ... I have done this before and I have the sense of falling into old (and good) habits. I just need to figure out where I am going to get the time to roast some veggies for tomorrow (though as I type I realise I should probably be doing that RIGHT NOW!).

ETA: done! Feel loads better. Butternut squash with coconut oil and cinnamon (mmm) and cauliflower with coconut oil, cocoa and paprika making the kitchen smell WONDERFUL. I totally don't get why my kids don't want to eat this stuff ... it smells like heaven to me!

Hello all! I started my first Whole30 on January first as well, I'm just late to the forums. I have been gluten free since 2012, and I saw a lot of improvement just by making that change. I still don't feel like it has cleared up all my issues, and I've been suffering the consequences of off-roading with gluten a few times over the last two months, so I am excited to see where the Whole30 takes me. 

My Goals

Nutrition: My goal is to eat high quality meat, eggs, greens, and a variety of colorful vegetables daily. I'm focused on really loading up my plate with veggies and getting the right amount of good fats. 

Sleep: My goal is to get 8+ hours of sleep every night. In order to do this I am changing my routine before bed: Chamomile tea and turning off electronics by 8:00 pm every night, and an epsom salt bath a few nights a week. I am really looking forward to sleeping better! I don't usually have problems getting to or staying asleep, but I have not woken up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day in years.

Stress Management: I have an issue with anxiety and I am about to enter a very hectic and stressful season in my career. I am giving up caffeine in hopes that it will help decrease anxiety, and I hope that having nutrition and sleep habits where they need to be will help as well.

Exercise: I want to incorporate exercise, but to be honest I don't really know how I want to tackle this one. I used to be very active, but after high school I was no longer involved in activities that kept me fit and I never pursued exercise for the sake of exercise. I started exercising fairly intensely this year, and I'm thinking it might have been too much to go from 5+ years of being very sedentary to immediately jumping in to intense exercise. It seemed to cause inflammation in my joints (although I can't be sure that issue didn't come from off-roading with gluten), and after some very hard work outs I would feel horrible and was too sore for too many days afterwards. It just didn't seem healthy. So I am going to ease into it and not rush into anything that is too intense right now. I'd be interested in hearing if others have had similar experiences, or someone who just has some advice on this front?

The first two days went pretty well. I met my sleep goal the first night, but I think I was a little under my goal last night. I woke up this morning feeling like crap: headache and general blah. I wasn't expecting to get the "carb flu" because I felt like I was already fairly low carb, so I wonder if I'm getting sick and this is just a coincidence. I do think I probably ate more carbs than I thought I did - it's funny how things that aren't really a part of your meals fly under the radar like alcohol and corn based junk food. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day three!

Day 3 and I woke with a headache. Slept really restless last night.  My older dd had a friend sleep over and I heard them giggling and watching a movie verrrrry late. They finally went to bed around 4am. So while I was technically in bed for 9 hours, I didn't actually get that much sleep.

Other than the headache, I feel pretty good.  I must be detoxing though, because my breath is horrible. Off to brush again!

M1: sausage scramble with diced red/yellow/orange peppers and mashed sweet potato (cooked in coconut oil, and the sweet potato had some coconut milk added when it was mashed last night).

Day 3 for me and I'm feeling kindof weird.  Early this fall I tried to go grain free for a little while, but after a week I got such bad vertigo that I stopped.  I didn't know then if it was related to food or not, but it took more than a month for it to gradually lessen.  Today I definitely am feeling way more vertigo than I have for a month or so, and I don't like it.  Last time there were a few days when I felt I probably shouldn't even be driving, but with work and kids that's not an option.  I hope this is a fluke, or else it won't get as bad.  I'm still going to stick with the plan and see how it goes.  Otherwise I feel okay, no headaches or stomach issues.  

Last night I got a little frustrated, since all of our ham and bacon from our pig has sugar so I didn't eat it.  The cauliflower mashed potatoes I made I really didn't like, and the ghee I bought seems to taste funny to me.  So last night I was feeling discouraged.  So far today:

M1: sauteed spinach and 2 eggs, bowl of banana, cashew, and coconut chips, black coffee

M2: will be big veggie salad with avocado, egg, tuna and some leftover braised cabbage

M3: probably grilled chicken and veg

Day 3 and I feel ok. I'm having a psychological battle going on but physically I feel ok - the slight rumblings of a headache but nothing else. I couldn't sleep last night until about 2 am I had a LOT of energy yesterday and never really felt tired. I'm not even taking this a day at a time. I'm taking it an HOUR at a time :) But I know that this is something I need to do for my health and that I won't fogive myself if I quit before the 30 days. So I'm committed. I'm going to do this. 

I started exercising fairly intensely this year, and I'm thinking it might have been too much to go from 5+ years of being very sedentary to immediately jumping in to intense exercise. It seemed to cause inflammation in my joints (although I can't be sure that issue didn't come from off-roading with gluten), and after some very hard work outs I would feel horrible and was too sore for too many days afterwards. It just didn't seem healthy. So I am going to ease into it and not rush into anything that is too intense right now. I'd be interested in hearing if others have had similar experiences, or someone who just has some advice on this front?!

I, too, was very active In my younger years (51 now) - avid distance runner, racquetball. Softball, swimming but have been very inactive the last year. Tried Cross fit for about 6 months about 1 1/2 years ago and have had knee issues ever since. I've committed to doing 30-45 min brisk walks 5 days a week and have started sit up and push up programs (using apps from the Apple store that gradually work up to 100 of each without breaks). I'm on day 3 of both programs. Gotta start somewhere. I'm in for a Whole 60 so if I can keep the exercise going consistently during this time, I know from experience that I will continue from there pretty naturally. I would love to resume running again and hope that's an outcome of my attempts. All the best as you figure out this aspect of your experience!

Helen and Semolina,

I also agree about the importance of fat with meals. For breakfast I use unsweetened coconut milk in my coffee, cook my eggs and veggies in ghee and eat a half to a whole avocado. I have a craving at 10:30 am and 3:00 pm but they have nothing to do with hunger. I can almost set my watch by them, they are so predictable. Still haven't been able to knock those after a year since my first whole 30. I try not to eat anything since I'm not hungry and will usually get by with a cup of tea.. But I wonder if I am feeding the craving by responding with a cup of tea. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Just roasted a purple sweet potato which I have never had before. Delicious! Also trying to cook up a batch of butternut soup. That also is a first. Wish me luck! :)

Hey everyone! Just wanted to chime in for day 3! I'm doing fine, but eating more frequently than I'd like. I feel like I'm hungry all. the. time. Like, two hours after I eat my last meal. I know that I'm hypoglycemic, so I'm hoping that as my body adjusts, I'll be able to go longer between meals. Right now, I'm just making extra and eating the same thing for a "snack," so still staying away from snacky foods. 

Everyone keeps talking about coconut oil in their coffee - I haven't managed that yet! I cut out dairy about a month ago when I realized I was having a reaction to it, and I've just been drinking my coffee black. It's not bad. Never thought I'd see the day! 

Also, just a side note, since people were talking about Lara Bars - I'm honestly so surprised that they are compliant! They are definitely a SWYPO food for me, basically a candy bar as far as I'm concerned, so I'm staying away from them for the month! 

Robin -- if it helps any, I hate ghee. I don't use it at all. I tried for my first W30 and thought it was the most revolting stuff I had ever come across and given I like normal butter I couldn't really tell you what that's all about (something about the smell of it, for me). But I use coconut oil for almost everything you would use ghee for ... or olive oil if I think the coconut oil is going to make it weirdly sweet. If you don't like the ghee, just don't go there.

Day three.

Holy cow - I have a very short tollerance for people today. Which is not good as I work in customer service. LOL

I have to remind myself before I pick up the phone that it's not their fault I feel like this. OYE!

Looking forward to a big meal prep day on Sunday.

I start school again on the 20th so I will be eating all three meals on Mondays and Wednesdays on the go.

Any suggestions for meals I can make ahead, that travel well and can be eaten cold if need be, would be awesome!

Steph

Hi Steph, one of my favourite portable meals is a frittata. Travels very well once cooled and tastes great.

It's interesting that a lot of people have mentioned sleeping badly last night - I tossed and turned and felt really tired today as a result. I've also been feeling really bloated, but think that may be to do with my period. The joys of being a woman! I always get mine on a W30, too, despite being on the pill. I went to the doctor last time but they couldn't explain it and didn't see it as an issue.

Hi Steph, one of my favourite portable meals is a frittata. Travels very well once cooled and tastes great.

It's interesting that a lot of people have mentioned sleeping badly last night - I tossed and turned and felt really tired today as a result. I've also been feeling really bloated, but think that may be to do with my period. The joys of being a woman! I always get mine on a W30, too, despite being on the pill. I went to the doctor last time but they couldn't explain it and didn't see it as an issue

Thanks!  I was looking at some egg 'muffin/cupcake' recipes as well for portable breakfasts.  I dont want hard boiled eggs every morning.  I'm also make some meat & spinach muffins from Well Fed that will travel pretty well.

I started on Jan 1st as well so this is my third day.  So far so good but I know I'll have some challenges next week at work, especially with a 2 hour drive out to the Test Site during the time I usually eat lunch.  I'm hoping that the primal packs I ordered get here by then but if not I'll think of something.

Happy day 3, all!

I'm feeling good. So far, aside from slight munchies both yesterday and today (likely due to working from home) I haven't had any issues. I'm waiting for the headache. (it always comes...)

Funny thing - Days 1 and 2 I had sweet potato in my breakfast (sautee skillets with eggs), but today I didn't and I was hungry earlier. Those starchy carbs help!

I'm excited that it's the weekend, as I eat better at home. Packing food is hard for me for some reason. I like freshly cooked food. :) But I have plenty to choose from for next week, so it should be okay.

Hello All!

I'm doing the program with my mom, my boyfriend and more or less with our (almost) 2 year old daughter. Day 1 and 2 were OK, except we are having some detox headaches, mood swings, and fatigue. Today, Day 3, has been a little bit better. I'm cooking most of the meals, so I'm getting into the swing of cooking more, and focusing on what I can improve as far as time management. I feel like I've been a slave to the stove! Even though my head is aching, my insides feel, what, relaxed? Hard to describe, but it's a good feeling!

Today's menu

M1-scrambled eggs w/minced kale, 1/2 banana, and leftover green beans, baby wasn't happy about it : (   Plus an afterwork out mini-meal of 1 egg and cinnamon sprinkled sweet potato, and baby DID like this one.

M2-chicken soup w/carrots, celery, yam, onion, and kale. Baby wasn't ecstatic about this either and definitely need to add more fat next time, I was so hungry 2 hours after! Snacked on sugar snap peas and a handful of blackberries. 

M3-steak and Brussels sprouts-haven't actually made it yet, but how can you go wrong with a big, juicy steak?

To Do

1) Write out my goals

2) Make up some bone broth

3) Chop up veggies, partition out meat, prepare to batch cook

4) Make a loose meal plan over the weekend

Good Luck everyone!!!

Day 3 for me and I'm feeling kindof weird.  Early this fall I tried to go grain free for a little while, but after a week I got such bad vertigo that I stopped.  I didn't know then if it was related to food or not, but it took more than a month for it to gradually lessen.  Today I definitely am feeling way more vertigo than I have for a month or so, and I don't like it.  Last time there were a few days when I felt I probably shouldn't even be driving, but with work and kids that's not an option.  I hope this is a fluke, or else it won't get as bad.  I'm still going to stick with the plan and see how it goes.  Otherwise I feel okay, no headaches or stomach issues.  

Last night I got a little frustrated, since all of our ham and bacon from our pig has sugar so I didn't eat it.  The cauliflower mashed potatoes I made I really didn't like, and the ghee I bought seems to taste funny to me.  So last night I was feeling discouraged.  So far today:

M1: sauteed spinach and 2 eggs, bowl of banana, cashew, and coconut chips, black coffee

M2: will be big veggie salad with avocado, egg, tuna and some leftover braised cabbage

M3: probably grilled chicken and veg

You might consider adding more starchy veggies to your meals- sweet potatoes for example.

The sleep thing some of you mentioned - me, too!! So frustrating!!! Hardly slept at all on day 1, had an impossible time falling asleep on day 2.  Hopefully tonight will be better. Work is stressful, and I know I think about stuff too much when in bed. I might search for that sleeping thread.

Today I ate:

Breakfast:  A mug of bone broth and a big bowl of leftover paleo pad thai from Well Fed

Lunch:  The last of the leftover Pad Thai and a mug of bone broth

Snack (pregnant so I feel justified):  Avgolemeno soup with cauliflower, two tbs of homemade nut butter

Dinner:  Frittata with kale, beet greens, bacon, and sweet potatoes (delish) and an apple

I'm feeling pretty good.  I was a little tired today, which is why I made dinner with sweet potatoes (I thought I needed more carbs, wouldn't normally eat them at this meal but I wanted to make sure I got good sleep tonight).

One thing I've noticed is that I am THIRSTY.  Might be the Whole30, might be the pregnancy, who knows.  I've been drinking water like a fiend.  :)

Today I ate:

Breakfast:  A mug of bone broth and a big bowl of leftover paleo pad thai from Well Fed

Lunch:  The last of the leftover Pad Thai and a mug of bone broth

Snack (pregnant so I feel justified):  Avgolemeno soup with cauliflower, two tbs of homemade nut butter

Why the need to justify?  I've been ravenously hungry doing this and am not pregnant.  I've been eating whole30 approved stuff but otherwise I'd be unable to do this.  

Day Fouring right now!

Implemented more fat in my breakfast and still feeling it, and that was nearly 5 hours ago! Yippee thank you Semolina and Helen and of course GF Chris for explaining that too me. I'm on a long 12 hour watch today :/ there isn't much to do but answer phones and such so I'm rereading it starts with food! And all girlie problems have disappeared. Sweet Jesus!

JustMary,

Lara bars are way to sweet for me too (I think it's all the dates they pack in them), so I've taken them off my own list. I love them but I would hate for my progress to suffer with them.

On to stand the watch...

Archived