Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Day 3 is in the books!  Feeling pretty good. I have question for the group.  Is it OK not to eat fruit - at least for the first week or so?  I am having a good mix of green veggies and carby veggies at Meal 2 and Meal 3 (maybe 2 to 1 ratio).  Green veggies for meal 1.  I have not been overly hungry unless I wait too long to eat like tonight.  Got caught at work late and unprepared - that won't happen again :D Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 is in the books!  Feeling pretty good. I have question for the group.  Is it OK not to eat fruit - at least for the first week or so?  I am having a good mix of green veggies and carby veggies at Meal 2 and Meal 3 (maybe 2 to 1 ratio).  Green veggies for meal 1.  I have not been overly hungry unless I wait too long to eat like tonight.  Got caught at work late and unprepared - that won't happen again :D Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kat

Fruit is optional.

Just be sure you're following the meal template for each meal. 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and an appropriate healthy fat.

Day 3 recap - breakfast was bone broth, two fried eggs and sauteed spinach and tomatoes from the night before.  Lunch ended up being cold "best chicken" in a lettuce salad with tomatoes, olives and bell peppers, with Moroccan dipping sauce.  Dinner was carne asada (out) with grilled onions.  My children ate the same.  I did let them have corn tortillas, thus dropped to "gluten free" instead of "paleo" for them tonight.  Otherwise they just adored the chicken and are eating their vegetables really well.  And I had made them green smoothies turned purple with blueberries.  They ended up eating the smoothies as popsicles after not drinking them earlier.  Good babies.  Still no improvement in their adhd behaviors, and my daughter was in absolute heartbroken tears when I told her she couldn't have tortillas at the Mexican restaurant tonight, hence my backing down to corn instead.  Not for me though. 

We hiked an easy hike this afternoon for exercise.

Day 3 of no caffeine.  I'm doing fine in that regard - I'm not really addicted but I guess I drank too much coffee in the past few months and started getting a caffeine headache so I quit cold turkey.

End of day 3. I am following the autoimmune protocol (I have Hashimoto's) and today went really well. On this more restrictive program I can't have eggs, coffee, tomatoes (nor any other nightshade veggies) or many of my favorite spices. My first attempt at bone broth wasn't a stellar success so I am starting again. Yesterday I developed a migraine so I didn't get to the gym, but today's WOD was fantastic! I am feeling very hopeful right now ;)

Day 3 is done! So far so good.  I haven't been hungry & the cravings haven't hit yet......soooo glad.  I did have a slight headache this afternoon and leg cramps last nite (anyone else have problems with leg cramps)

This is my first Whole 30 and I am in serious learning mode.  Enjoy seeing what is on other folks menus.  Mine has been pretty simple so far.  I went to the store to get bacon, breakfast sausage, or ham for a special breakfast this weekend and couldn't find any without SUGAR!! Any suggestions?

Good luck to all!!

I dreamed last night that I found a sweet/candy in my jeans pocket and popped it in my mouth before I'd thought about it. I was so upset with myself! Clearly my body is telling me this W30 is a good thing! And it shows how we mindlessly pop these sugary things into our mouths.

Grilled lamb steaks with sweet potato, cavolo Nero cabbage and green beans last night.

Now time for a breakfast frittata. It's the weekend!

Miminette - yes, I had leg cramps last night, but never sure if that's diet related or not (I got leg cramps last time, too, thinking about it ... but so hard to unpack which weird thing your body is doing is related to W30 and which is entirely unrelated ...!)

Creatchocolock: it's a learning thing! I like it when I get it "right" and don't feel the need to eat between meals, but I don't worry if I do need to eat between meals (and no, I'm not pregnant!). I quite often need something at about 4 or 5 pm -- often an egg and cucumber and olives or something (I try to make sure snacks have some from each of the main food groups) ... but having done this a few times I am much more trusting of my hunger signals. It also reminds me that I need to make sure that I eat enough at lunch (no skimping on fat and protein) and it teaches me how much I need to eat. Just make sure you don't make your snacks nuts and raisins (a mistake I have made) as those quite often ends up as food with no brakes ... equally if you are stuck and they are the only food to hand don't beat yourself up about it, but learn from the experience and make sure there is always other food to hand (even if that means going out with little tupperwares in your bag with boiled eggs in or whatever!)

Day 3 in the bag -- all good and ready for more!

Why the need to justify?  I've been ravenously hungry doing this and am not pregnant.  I've been eating whole30 approved stuff but otherwise I'd be unable to do this.  

Oh just because when you're doing the Whole30, they recommend sticking to three meals with no snacks.  That wasn't a problem for me the last go-round, but this time I'm having trouble eating enough at any one meal.  Hence the snack.  :)  I think this falls into the "listen to your body" category, so I guess you're right, I didn't need to justify that. 

Good morning!

Thought I'd check in while I eat my sweet potato/apple/red pepper/onion/sausage and egg saute. :) Yum.

Anyway, my gut got me out of bed this morning. Unpleasant. But not unexpected, either. Fortunately, I feel fine now and am meeting a friend for a workout (indoors - it's like 20 below out there!) at 9:30 this morning.

I hope everyone has a great day!

We had our favorite breakfast - scrambled egg poured into a sauté pan until firm, topped with taco meat, and chopped salad greens, tomato, red onion, with homemade salsa and homemade guacamole - my tummy is doing a happy dance! Day 4 and only a slight headache on day 2 and no other issues so far. Last January, day 3 was icky with a dull headache and no energy all day. I'm already sleeping like a champ...for those who are suffering, please hang in there. It truly will get better soon!

Good morning! I'm feeling pretty good do far today!

Breakfast:

3 scrambled eggs

1/2 an avocado

Boat load of sauteed kale

Both kale and eggs cooked in coconut oil.

I picked up some coconut amino acids last night. I'm hoping for a stir fry for lunch of dinner.

Yummers!

Have a great day all!

Steph

I'm struggling with sleep too ... Can't seem to get off to sleep, and then I'm easily woken during the night. Hope to improve soon.

One thing that really helped me (and I don't know your particular circumstances) was turning off all screens an hour before bed. No TV, iPad, etc. Making tea and reading. I drift off pretty quickly now, and sleep very well. (I do look at my phone right before bed to set my sleep tracker app.) Really being faithful to this has drastically improved my sleep quality. Good sleep is unbelievable...I hope you sleep soundly and well very soon!

Happy Day 4 to all!! Was out sick yesterday, so didn't make my sleep & activity goals, but have kept it Whole30 else-wise.

FYI - if you're of the "saltines for nausea" camp, you can replace those puppies with nori crisps from Well Fed. Yummy, compliant & effective. Also, I replaced ginger ale with fresh ginger root tea - keep a pot going constantly 'til I'm over this.

Day 4.  My sleep has been really poor - the last two nights I had nightmares/sad dreams (each night about a different ex boyfriend, not food, isn't that weird? Especially since I have been with my husband for nine years and we're really happy!) .

Other than that, food is going all right.  Found the first recipe from Well Fed that we didn't care for - no more jicima hash browns.  Yuk.  Breakfast ended being pretty dull, just compliant bacon with the last of the crustless quiche.  Oh well, can't win every time.

Made another batch of bone broth and discussed its properties with the husband.  He was all, "You know you don't absorb the power of the animal when you drink it," and I was like oh please that is not what I think and you know it!  He insists on treating this way of eating as some woo fad.  Whatever.  I feel better and I can tell he already has more energy so as long as he keeps eating only what I'm cooking he can think what he wants!

I feel a lot more successful and committed on this Whole30 than on the others I started and quit in the past.  I have a really good feeling that big, important changes to my habits and lifestyle are happening and that they are going to stick.  This positivity is unexpected and motivating.

I hope everyone is doing well on their Day 4!

Day 3 is done! So far so good.  I haven't been hungry & the cravings haven't hit yet......soooo glad.  I did have a slight headache this afternoon and leg cramps last nite (anyone else have problems with leg cramps)

This is my first Whole 30 and I am in serious learning mode.  Enjoy seeing what is on other folks menus.  Mine has been pretty simple so far.  I went to the store to get bacon, breakfast sausage, or ham for a special breakfast this weekend and couldn't find any without SUGAR!! Any suggestions?

Good luck to all!!

Compliant pre- made breakfast meats are hard to find. The easiest thing is to buy ground pork and spice it yourself. You can find sausage spice recipes online. Most are for spicing a huge amount of pork, but you can do the math.

Day 3 down. Got some of the hangover this morning and still have a bit of a headache. Also my left eye keeps twitching which is just a weird feeling. This could also be partly the result of dehydration. I broke my glass waterbottle yesterday which sucks for two reasons: 1 cleaning up glass is the worst. I'm never sure I got it all up. 2 I definitely didn't drink as much water as usual. Plan for the day - replace waterbottle. Maybe I'll go stainless steel this time. 

Had a yummy breakfast of ground pork, sweet potato hash, a fried egg, and side of steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Leftover pad thai and chicken for lunch, chowder and veg for dinner. 

Have a great day 4 all!

I was KATT yesterday and it feels as if today might follow suit.  I am not on the 'yummy food' train yet.  Mostly my meals are off schedule and I'm not enjoying them.  This is primarily because I am not in my own  home, it snowed, and I have very limited choices. M1 today was eggs and sugar snap peas.   I will be home tomorrow, and I'm hoping to do the Well Fed cookup that Melissa posted on facebook and her clothes make the girl blog.

So if you are a first timer and not enjoying this new way of eating, I feel your pain.  It's easier this time knowing that it's GOING to get easier....  But keep trying new things and we will all feel better next week. 

Good luck to all!!

Miminette I have found compliant breakfast meats on the US Wellness website.  The bacon is fabulous and you get the added bonus of drippings to cook with.  The sausage is good but not seasoned enough for my taste.  I plan on browning the next package like ground beef and adding spices to it.  I want to use it in frittata muffins for a take along breakfast next week in an adaptation of a Nom Nom Paleo recipe.

I also so on another post that some Whole Foods carry a compliant bacon called Pederson's just not the one where I live :unsure:

Good Luck!

Kat

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok?category=Gourmet+Pork%3ASausage%2C+Bacon+%26+Pork+Lard

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins

Archived