Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Mid-way through day 4 and doing well.  Had a GOOD sleep last night.  I always take Rescue Remedy before bed or I take HOURS to fall asleep. I forgot last night, and it was too cold to get up again, so I decided to see what happened.  And I fell asleep quickly!  And slept all night. Got a good solid 8 hours. Whoo hoo!

Still a touch of a headache today, but I think my breath isn't as offensive.  whew!

Planned a mini meal for 3pm yesterday to see if it helped my need to snack while cooking dinner (we eat fairly late), and it did! Yay.  I will keep that in for a bit until my body is more used to burning fats and protein and then see if I can go without again. 

Went to the movies to see the Hobbit with my big kids last night and wasn't even slightly tempted by the snacks or candy they had.

I feel lighter.  Not so much weight wise (and I'm not weighing to check, no worries), and my clothes don't fit differently, it's more of an internal feeling.  Weird to try to explain, but I like it.  My hands and feet feel really good (often achy) and my ears are mostly itch free. Yay!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 done.  I was exhausted last night, but had a good salad with grilled chicken for supper.  I was full, but my mind was craving something more.  It doesn't like to feel like it's being deprived!  I feel a lot better this morning--no vertigo, even though I got no sleep last night because of a teething toddler.  Eggs with spinach, onions, and mushrooms this morning, plus coffee and bowl of coconut, cashews, and banana.  I'm still feeling full right now.  

I am spending a ton of money so far though.  I keep thinking of more veggies I need to get at the store, and then spend another $100.  Hopefully that will slow down a little.  Family is not liking anything I've made so far.  :(  Oh well, everything tastes great to me, except those cauliflower mash.  I'll stick to plain raw or cooked from now on.  

Day 4 and so far Im doing ok. Im used to eating this sort of food but going without sweeteners is difficult. Im doing well, probably mostly because Ive been so busy lately. Id like to sleep in tomorrow, not  sure if that's gonna happen. One thing I find is that I crave something sweet after eating a meal. 

Breakfast today was baked bacon with eggs and avocado. Lunch was a salad of chicken, avocado, mixed leaves, olives and artichoke hearts. Had a similar dinner. I also had an apple thrown in there between lunch and dinner.

Im feeling ok so far. Slightly irritable but nothing I haven't been able to handle so far. I look forward to a rest tomorrow.

Day 4.. Doing okay. I don't have a case of the kills (didn't first go around either) but have a mild, energy suck, heavy leg thing. I did get in 5 slow miles early. I remember feeling this way last time too, but the bounds and bounds of energy were right around the corner. This is my once a month Saturday to work. Meals compliant and delish. Doing well. Hope everyone else is too. Have a great day!!!

Almost blew it on a piece of sugar free gum that I was starting to unwrap before it clicked that it smelled sweet. That woulda stunk!!!

I can top you.  I almost blew it putting a piece of chewed gum in my mouth (downtown with girls and youngest handed it to me, so gross I know but I never want to throw it on the ground).  :)

Compliant pre- made breakfast meats are hard to find. The easiest thing is to buy ground pork and spice it yourself. You can find sausage spice recipes online. Most are for spicing a huge amount of pork, but you can do the math.

We buy a chorizo sausage from Earth Fare (our version of Whole Foods) that is compliant.  Also our local food coop has local sausages that are compliant (and sometimes bacon bu that is rare).  Proscuitto is compliant I think if you buy that at a Trader Joes etc.

I've been doing really well so far, haven't slipped up a bit! I have been pretty happy with myself...until I re-read the ingredients on my Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk. I had been told that it was "clean" and that I could drink it no problem - but there is carrageenan in it! Does anybody else know about this, or is there another brand in the mainstream grocery stores that you drink? Or is this ok? I'm a bit put out, because I've been drinking it every day. Help?

I've been doing really well so far, haven't slipped up a bit! I have been pretty happy with myself...until I re-read the ingredients on my Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk. I had been told that it was "clean" and that I could drink it no problem - but there is carrageenan in it! Does anybody else know about this, or is there another brand in the mainstream grocery stores that you drink? Or is this ok? I'm a bit put out, because I've been drinking it every day. Help?

I have not found any alternative milks without carrageenan in the grocery store. I believe the only almond or coconut milk you can drink on the Whole30 are ones you make yourself. You might want to try to find Aroy-D coconut milk They claim there aren't any stabilizers in it. I just drink water on the Whole30.

Compliant pre- made breakfast meats are hard to find. The easiest thing is to buy ground pork and spice it yourself. You can find sausage spice recipes online. Most are for spicing a huge amount of pork, but you can do the math.

Thank you! I wondered if that was the case.  

Miminette - yes, I had leg cramps last night, but never sure if that's diet related or not (I got leg cramps last time, too, thinking about it ... but so hard to unpack which weird thing your body is doing is related to W30 and which is entirely unrelated ...!)

Creatchocolock: it's a learning thing! I like it when I get it "right" and don't feel the need to eat between meals, but I don't worry if I do need to eat between meals (and no, I'm not pregnant!). I quite often need something at about 4 or 5 pm -- often an egg and cucumber and olives or something (I try to make sure snacks have some from each of the main food groups) ... but having done this a few times I am much more trusting of my hunger signals. It also reminds me that I need to make sure that I eat enough at lunch (no skimping on fat and protein) and it teaches me how much I need to eat. Just make sure you don't make your snacks nuts and raisins (a mistake I have made) as those quite often ends up as food with no brakes ... equally if you are stuck and they are the only food to hand don't beat yourself up about it, but learn from the experience and make sure there is always other food to hand (even if that means going out with little tupperwares in your bag with boiled eggs in or whatever!)

Day 3 in the bag -- all good and ready for more!

Thanks! It's good to know I'm not alone.  Happened again last nite but not as bad. Maybe will got away as we go along.  Hope you are doing well today  :)

We buy a chorizo sausage from Earth Fare (our version of Whole Foods) that is compliant.  Also our local food coop has local sausages that are compliant (and sometimes bacon bu that is rare).  Proscuitto is compliant I think if you buy that at a Trader Joes etc.

Thanks for the ideas.........next weekend! :)

I was pretty irritable yesterday and had a headache for most of the afternoon.  Today I'm just feeling tired but I've been feeling tiered for quiet some time (one of the reasons I'm doing this) so it's no big thing.  I did do some more food prep and grilled some chicken breasts, made cauliflower rice, and I have a cabbage braising in the oven.

leahmarie - I had similar issues with exercise, you might want to read up on cortisol, see if it rings any bells for you. I've ditched cardio in favour of lifting heavy things and it's been SO much better, I also work out around dinner time rather than early morning as it's when cortisol is lower. Sleep will help a lot with stress and cortisol too. I also get sick from gluten and have found corn to be almost as bad, so they're things I've given up for good. You may going through grain detox, which is a lot like carb flu. Eat extra starchy veggies if you're feeling crappy.

Robin22 - You may need more starchy veggies like sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots, etc.

justmary - If you're super hungry, you may need to eat an extra mini-meal (use the template) or increase your fat and maybe carbs too. Dates are a no breaks food for me, if I don't eat them, I forget they even exist, but when I eat them, they make me crave sugar like a mad thing. I only take Lara Bars when travelling and use them as a last resort (frankly, they also aren't very tasty compared to a yummy scotch egg).

Semolina - I hate ghee in coffee, but weirdly I like it with some meats and veggies. Coconut oil and duck fat I like better though.

I have not found any alternative milks without carrageenan in the grocery store. I believe the only almond or coconut milk you can drink on the Whole30 are ones you make yourself. You might want to try to find Aroy-D coconut milk They claim there aren't any stabilizers in it. I just drink water on the Whole30.

Coconut milk in cans works, just stay away from the cartons … I think the only almond milk that works is make your own.  I like light coconut mil in my coffee.

Miminette & Semolina - For leg craps cramps, take magnesium! I suffered with these for years (sometimes would wake up screaming, very unsettling lol) and recently there were some studies and magnesium is the cure for many people. It also can be sodium and potassium deficiency, so make sure you use salt on your food (you've dropped sodium intake when you're no longer having processed food) and avocados and bananas are high sources of potassium. PaleOMG has a great sausage recipe that's really easy, just omit the sugar (it tastes great without it).

Edit: Cramps, cramps! lol

I'm just kind of rolling along.  I haven't really noticed anything, other than I'm getting SUPER tired right around 2pm.  Whether that's the Whole30, or the bebe I'm incubating, I dunno.  I was also moderately irritable with the hubs yesterday and some of today -- again, whether that's the Whole30 or because he was being irritating...;)  Your guess is as good as mine.

I haven't felt tempted to slip yet.  Much.  :-D  We were driving past a waffle house on our way to Lafayette today, and I had a brief urge to go in and drink their waffle batter.  Not eat a waffle, but just chug the batter.  Weird, right?  That passed quickly.  I had a mild craving for a Diet Coke while making dinner, but I just ignored it.  I've overall been feeling good, so hopefully I keep feeling that way.

Good luck, everyone!

Just roasted a purple sweet potato which I have never had before. Delicious! Also trying to cook up a batch of butternut soup. That also is a first. Wish me luck! :)

Well, the butternut squash soup turned out well, but I am having to acquire a taste for it.  I think I'm not used to the ginger.  My husband likes it though, so hopefully he will help me eat it.  I feel like I spent the last two days in the kitchen... way more time than I am used to or like. But, I am committed to trying new recipes to help round out the same "easy" meals that I have eaten the last year.  Will definitely do the purple sweet potato again. Made some killer chicken salad with my slow cooked chicken (which was overcooked but worked great as chicken salad) and homemade mayo, celery, onion, grapes, orange and almonds.  Who knows... maybe I'll become a cook yet!  HA!

Day four down, and going strong! Yesterday was my strangest day - headache in the morning, followed by waves of feeling like I was coming down with something throughout the day, and digestive problems in the evening. I have felt fine today though. The only thing I'm really struggling with is beverages. Being able to have an alcoholic beverage is so much a part of how I relax and wind down the day. I find myself tossing a little juice in some club soda just to feel like I have a "special" drink in the evenings, because just having a water with dinner feels weird. Is this a bad thing to do - should I just force myself to just drink water or tea until I'm over it? I'm thinking that I should just pull off the bandaid!

Here was the menu for today: 

M1 - Eggs scrambled with mixed greens, bacon, and a side of raspberries and blueberries (after just a few days without sugar these felt like such a treat!)

M2 - Leftover Ruben Rolls and Cauliflower "Rice" Pilaf from Well Fed. The pilaf was just OK, but that may had been partly my fault, I think I overcooked it a little bit. The Ruben Rolls were awesome!

M3 - Chocolate Chili from Well Fed and butternut squash tossed in ghee, dusted with cinnamon and salt, and roasted. Highly recommended!

Tomorrow I will be snowed in and I will take the opportunity to do a big cook-up. I'm looking forward to seeing how easy I can make the rest of the week!

Archived