Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

I went into a grocery store 20 minutes from my house today, and they had Kombucha Mama kombucha on tap. Annnd, they had Talking Rain mineral water for $0.48 for a 2 liter. Woohoo! I was so excited! 

Last night, we went to a restaurant for a performance my daughter was doing there, so we basically had to eat there. I was annoyed because it was expensive and my meal was SO BORING. I had a bison burger patty and some lettuce, tomato, and onion. I was just thinking that it was such a waste of money, when I could go home and make something so much better. Oh well!

I made the "meatza" recipe in Well Fed for dinner tonight, and it was really tasty. Rest assured, this is definitely not a SWYPO version of pizza, as it really doesn't taste anything like pizza except for the Italian seasoning, but it was good. Basically, you bake ground beef, top it with a really simple tomato sauce, and then top with veggies of your choice. I topped with zucchini and kalmata olives and then put the whole thing on top of a pile of sauteed spinach. 

I started my day with more fat than I have been (including coconut oil in my coffee), and I do think that helped me get through the day without feeling quite as hungry as I have been. 

Here's to making it through Day 4!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leahmarie - I did a few drops of pomegranate juice in my mineral water last January and even used a wine glass sometimes. I've decided to not even do that this time, Why try to fool myself that it's a glass of wine? That seems counterproductive to the Whole 30 approach for me. I am mostly drinking ice cold water, sometimes with a lime slice, and once in a while I switch to sparkling water. Other than some black coffee in the morning, that's all I've been drinking. So far, so good. Still think about that glass of wine but it hasn't been overwhelming.

Emily - "You know you don't absorb the power of the animal when you drink it" lol that is so funny. Bone broth is full of trace elements like magnesium, so ignore him :)

Weredragon - Eye twitches can be a sign of your carbs being too low. If it's annoying you, add some sweet potato, see if that gets rid of it :) Dehydration can do it too. I really love the KOR water bottles, they're even dishwasher safe and the only ones I feel safe packing with my laptop (the ones with the ultra-lock lid).

mykidsteacher - If you can find compliant ones, you can sometimes get peppermint oil capsules, they're often sold as either breath capsules or de-gas tablets. Failing that, peppermint tea is good for the breath, no toothbrush required :)

Lindsayjo - There's a really good article on how to make your own almond milk here: http://detoxinista.com/2010/11/dont-wait-another-minute/ the big tip I liked is that you can make instant almond milk with hazelnuts! :) No waiting. We don't have almond milk in Australia without the nasty stuff either :(

kerrimpj - Can you take your own dinner or entree? It's best to be honest about what you can and can't have, as you'll likely eat with them again :) 

Leahmarie - You might have to hunt for it, but you may be able to find soda water or mineral water with compliant flavouring and no sugar. Best to ask the locals where you live, they seem to have different names everywhere. In Australia we have Mount Franklin Sparkling with a hint of either Lime, Lemon or Berry.

Hey all

I am onto the end of day four and doing well.  The family is not following the plan but they are sympathetic and "experts" by observation (of my previous W30's).  However, some times their lack of participation does add temptation.  Right now I am in my TV room and my daughter's bag of Rolo's are on the table and a bag of chocolate chip goldfish here on the coffee table beside me.  It is not too much of a temptation but it does allow the mind to wander.

Today I made pork chops, broccoli and a salad (olive oil and balsamic dressing) for everyone plus the rest of my family had garlic bread and the kids had smiley fries.  They are really supportive but some days are a little harder than others!

Breakfast was poached eggs with almonds and a banana (OK my Breakfast veggie challenge continues) .

I had a big salad (EVOO and Balsamic) with a roasted chicken breast for lunch

I have eaten on plan and I am really trying to get lots of sleep when my schedule permits!

Felt a little tired and lazy today but feeling pretty good.

Cheers

DJ

Survived lunch at my MIL's without going off plan. I asked her to bake my chicken separately, which she did (the others were breaded, had butter and a little milk (both non-dairy) on them. Then she had raw veggies, cut up fruit, and green beans I could have. She also had salad, but I forgot my dressing, so I just drizzled on some olive oil and salt and pepper. It was so good I had seconds! For supper, I made golden cauliflower soup, cooked up some chicken and shrimp in olive oil and added that to my bowl of soup (not the whole pot), and then stir fried some peppers and zucchini. Had 1/2 an avocado on the side. Man was THAT good!

Tonight we had a family dinner out and I thought I was safe with my ordering choices. Well...The salad had bits of corn and the pickled vegetables were definitely sweetened. I tried to navigate around the corn (but wasn't perfect) and didn't take another bite once I made the realization about the pickled veggies. I won't hibernate, and with four kids, I am determined not to sacrifice family meal togetherness at restaurants this month. I suppose there is a lesson here about asking more questions prior to ordering (though it's not my nature to do that) and being more vigilant.

I am a total believer in the Whole30 after having completed one last February. Mistakes happen -I made them last time too - and yet I still felt all of the amazing effects of the program. Perhaps this is me justifying a mistake but I do think that this program is about getting to optimal health - even if there are a few missteps!

It's worth talking to your favourite restaurants about what they can offer you during your Whole30. Some are very helpful, others not so much. Some chefs like a challenge and will ask for your list of allowed foods. It's easier for most restaurants if they know in advance, so they can make sure there's enough veggies and other ingredients (I found one place refused to give me extra veggies, as it meant they couldn't sell full dishes as I stole all the veggies. Now they sell extra veggies all the time, because lots of people asked). The worst ones are the ones who don't really prepare any food, it's all packaged catering stuff, they generally have no idea what's in anything and they can't alter anything as it's all pre-made.

For the less-good ones, I often eat something before I go, so I don't have to eat anything, but if there's something good, I can if I want, I'm not starving :)

I'm a changed Woman! Bought a food processor this morning and wowww what a fun gadget to have in the kitchen! I literally was mesmerized by how quickly the cauliflower was turned to smithereens!! Super stoked...I'm sure most of you all have one, hehe I'm just learning to cook as I go. What sucks is I don't have an oven. You'd think a Japanese house would be equipped with an oven, but no all I have is a stove and weird looking microwave, so being creative in the kitchen is a must.

On my day 5 and I feel great and it looks like everyone else is doing good too, or at least hanging in there. I'm surprised how clear my skin is getting and how flat my stomach has become. My rings are slipping off my fingers too. Woah, pretty wild.

Dj,

Kudos to you for winning against those rolos and goldfish! You're one tough cookie! I live alone and so I feel like I'm not getting tested as much as others. But around the office and with friends I've been know to be quite the health nut. Take care!

And now...a quote from the all wise and knowing, Yoda : "Patience you must have, my young padawan."

Leahmarie - I have that moment every day after the kids have gone to sleep (which is when I used to have a glass of wine). I now have a mocktail ... really nice glass, crushed ice, slice of lime, and sparkling water. As soon as "that moment" has passed I am not remotely interested in wine again; for me it is more about the ritual of the start of "adult time" as anything else. For me, making an event of it works. Last time, when I was really feeling the need for it, I also made the nori chips from Well Fed and then I felt like I was having a drink and crisps. :o) Haven't felt the urge to make those yet.

sailorlawrence - laughed about your food processor. Yes, I can't live without mine. It has broken in several places and we can't afford to replace it right now so I can make it work if I line all the pieces up just right and the wind is blowing in the right direction.

Praxisproject - thanks! Good tip about the Mg and leg cramps ... yes, now I hear it I know that's right. I have supplemented Mg on and off for years as I am regularly a bit low on it. But I don't think salt is a problem here ... :)

Day 4 done, onto day 5 ... feeling good. I overate yesterday (ate too late and was over hungry) but still all W30 so I figure that is part of life's rich tapestry, learn from it and move on.

Emily Roberts-Springer - I've been having really vivid dreams, too, involving exes and upsetting events. I didn't connect it with my W30, but you got me thinking.

Sailorlawrence - my skin looks better already, too, to the point where I've had comments. That's fast work!

Semolina - I think I overate a bit lastnight, but I just put it down to experience and, hey, it kept me going on a night out with colleagues where they were all drinking cocktails all evening. I lasted until 12:30am drinking sparkling water, then just water and, finally, tea. In a bar. A first for me, but it was what I fancied and I didn't care what anyone thought. And no one took any notice anyway!

Day 4 was pretty good. After my smoked salmon frittata breakfast I had leftover green Thai chicken soup for lunch then baked pork ribs (from the Paleo Cupboard website) with homemade slaw (grated red cabbage, carrot and apple with lemon juice and olive oil) and baked sweet potato fries. Holy yum! Probably ate a bit too much but it was so good!

Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and roasted veggies for breakfast this morning, to be followed by a long walk by the sea and some Jillian Michaels on the DVD.

Have a good Sunday all.

Hi everyone,

Started January 1st and had gotten vegetables and meats from Fairway market including fresh made salad of cucumber, red onions and fresh thyme. Ate that delicious salad with the cucumbers for two days when as I was throwing away the plastic container decided to read label and guess what????? It had sugar. WHO PUTS SUGAR IN THEIR FRESH SALADS????? Very annoyed but since it was two days only I have restarted so today is actually day 3 for me. First two days, after my false start, I have had headaches and pains in my stomach with ongoing diarrhea. But otherwise feel optimistic and happy that I have made this W30 commitment to myself and I am now just sticking to foods and vegetables I cook myself. Have read ISWF and love the recipes from Well Fed. So on to day 3!

*waves sleepily*

I AM SO TIRED THIS MORNING! Seriously, dragging. I have a TRX class in 18 minutes, too, and all I want to do is go back to bed.

I got up, though, and ate my pre-workout apple/almond butter. I'll have a full meal post-workout, but if I eat too much pre it will not go well.

Last night I was hungry, but I knew I had eaten enough that I shouldn't have been, so I went to bed. Was tired enough that I went to sleep fast and had super odd dreams (apparently I'm a MI6 agent in my head).

Whole Foods trip in store for today as I've depeleted my store of avocado and onions. Plus I want to see what they have for meats.

Have a great day, all!

*waves sleepily*

I AM SO TIRED THIS MORNING! Seriously, dragging. I have a TRX class in 18 minutes, too, and all I want to do is go back to bed.

I got up, though, and ate my pre-workout apple/almond butter. I'll have a full meal post-workout, but if I eat too much pre it will not go well.

Last night I was hungry, but I knew I had eaten enough that I shouldn't have been, so I went to bed. Was tired enough that I went to sleep fast and had super odd dreams (apparently I'm a MI6 agent in my head).

Whole Foods trip in store for today as I've depeleted my store of avocado and onions. Plus I want to see what they have for meats.

Have a great day, all!

The Whole30 recommended preWO snack is a protein and bit of fat. No fruit. Maybe try that next time? (nuts are a fat source on a W30)

Dee1314: Love Fairway (We used to live in Manhattan.) but yuck-o to that sugar. A benefit about the Whole 30 for me is that it heightened my taste buds. You might find when this month is over and you buy that salad again, its sweetness puckers your cheeks.

Praxis project: Thanks for your response to my post. I will heed your advice at restaurants but not the notion of abstaining at the dinner table. I am trying to be careful about the messages I send to my kids. Vacation ends today (Can I get a Mom's big bittersweet sigh?!) so that will decrease our trips to restaurants.

And Sailor Lawrence, your enthusiasm about your food processor is awesome. It made me chuckle.

Best wishes to all as we round the corner on Week 1.

Hello EAH,

I use to live in Manhattan many moons ago. I now have been living in NJ for 17 years. I do love Fairway and Whole Foods, what's not to love?  I have a terrible sweet tooth so i'm hoping to beat that Sugar Dragon down once and for all.  Good luck to us all as we head on.

Hello Team!

Chugging along here.  Ended up having a very moody day yesterday - KATT for sure.  Hoping today improves as Sundays are typically very busy for us...

Cooked a fair bit to get us through the first full work week, despite the ugly mood: egg muffins with spinach and zuke, pureed butternut squash, bone broth, riced cauliflower, hard eggs, slow cooker citrus carnitas, brined best chicken ever, Well Fed's eggplant strata, and the most amazing oven roasted tomato sauce.  Here's the recipe - I just subbed ghee for the butter and it turned out just as good as we used to make...had it for dinner last night with grass fed beef meatballs and spaghetti squash.  Our three-year-old loved it, although he was initially suspicious of the "washed" noodles (squash noodles).

I feel very strongly that a slow cooker is the number one kitchen tool to make the Whole30 cooking experience easier!  It also helps that my MIL got me a HUGE one for Christmas, so now I have my mom's small cooker from the 80s going with the pork as the bone broth cooks in the new giant one.  The house smells good.  :)

This morning had an egg scramble with spinach and onion topped with guacamole, and now I'm having some bone broth while I do some freelance work.  It's nice and quiet because the hubs took our son to his music class, so if I am going to have a repeat of KATT, at least I'm alone!

Enjoy your Sunday, all.

Still eating well....relieved that I didn't off-road more than I did the last couple of months....have had a mild headache for the last two days even so and could take a nap, well, about all the time. But I love the feeling of taking firm control over my habits and mistakes to become a healthier me. This forum group is an outstanding support. I look forward to reading new posts every time I open my iPad. Happy Sunday all!

Hello all! Started my first Whole 30 on Jan 1. I had been meaning to do one for a long time, but wanted to do my first one in a month I didn't have to go anywhere. The timeline and all your posts have been a great help to me. At least daily I have checked to see if what my body is doing is normal/usual. Answer: yep.

I didn't so much have kill all the things as cry all the things. I went to see Disney's Frozen yesterday and cried through pretty much the entire thing. My boyfriend thought it was hilarious and called me up randomly the rest of the day and said lines from one of the songs to see if I would cry again. Answer: yes. Honestly I thought it was pretty hilarious too.

So far this has been a learning experience for me already, just by noticing the additives in some of the things I already had. I bought two cans of crushed tomatoes, Muir Glen brand, at my health store. Looked at the label on the plain one and it was compliant, yay! I bought it and a can of some that had chipotle pepper. I was making soup with the chipotle ones that night and just happened to look at the label before I finished the soup... IT HAD CORN STARCH IN IT. WHAT?!?! So that soup went into the freezer for February and I had to make something else for dinner. The other label WHAT was regarding my lemon pepper. What the heck is corn starch doing in lemon pepper, or garlic salt? That's ridiculous. And thus did Ali learn that she would have to buy pretty much all new spices. Help me Obi-Wan Trader Joe's: you're my only hope. (No, there is another. At Whole Foods.)

Yesterday I had my first good workout since I started, that was nice. The only other symptoms I've experienced have been the insomnia some of y'all have had, which is rough, but it looks like that's normal and we can push through.

I am also one of those people who was, how shall we say, jettisoning the core every morning in a crampy way. I read here on the forums that digestive enzymes helped tremendously and just wanted to repeat that here for any other newbies. I went and got some and they have helped TREMENDOUSLY.

Happy Day 5 y'all! I need a nap. :)

I was thinking I hadn't experienced kill all the things yet... Then nearly cried with frustration when I had to walk home in the rain this evening. Yup, we're there!

I was also super-annoyed at my best friend's reaction over coffee earlier when I said I wouldn't be drinking alcohol at her birthday drinks party next weekend. So, clearly she thinks I'm no fun sober? WTF?! Held my tongue but just ranted to my boyfriend now I'm home (and soaked ;) ) Sigh!

Hello all and happy Day 5.  Went out and stocked up on veggies last night in advance of the snow and cold we are getting now.

Had my first food dream last night.  One of my kids was next to me with a bucket of candy, including red twizzlers.  We were chatting and I looked down and noticed I'd been eating the twizzlers.  Had no idea I was doing it, and was horrified that I'd blown my whole30 on red dyed, waxy candy that doesn't even taste very good.  LOL 

But I did go to sleep easily and slept all night again. Yay for sleep!  Only 7 1/2 hours instead of the goal 8, but that's the first time I've been under.

M1 was sausage and butternut squash hash with a dash of cinnamon, a small bowl of golden cauliflower soup, and 1/2 cup of blueberries with coconut milk.

M2 will be golden cauliflower soup with some chicken breast added, and a big salad with lots of veggies and olive oil/red wine vinaigrette. 

I need to make some bone broth, but need to get the bones out of the freezer and defrost them a bit first.

Oh, a funny--after breakfast, I was getting out a saucepan and some mixing bowls, and my dh asked, "What concoction are you cooking up this time?" (He's not doing the whole30 with me, but eats some of what I make--he was less than thrilled with the soup). I laughed and said, "Laundry detergent. Promise I won't make you try this recipe." 

Archived