Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Day 4 done! Feeling pretty good--I survived my first social situation. I made sure to eat a solid meal beforehand and luckily it wasn't food focused (there was talk of ordering a pizza but I guess other people ate earlier too because it died down). People were drinking lots of different things, so nobody noticed/cared I stuck to water. School has been out and all my friends out of town, so sticking to the plan has been pretty painless. Things will likely get trickier from here on out. I know at some point I'll have to explain what I'm doing, but this was a nice way to ease back into socializing. 

Praxisproject - thanks for the tip! The twitching is fainter today, but still happening. I realize I've only had a starchy carb at one meal/day since starting (totally unintentional). I'll try upping that to at least two meals and see if it helps. 

Stayed out later than usual, so breakfast was more like brunch. Had sweet potato hash, kale, and sausage with a couple of fried eggs (new favorite breakfast). Will have chowder and chili with some sweet potato on top for meals 2 and 3. 

Happy Day 5!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I started my first Whole 30 on January 1 as well:)

Question:   I am your typical 58 year old woman.  I am bothered by Hot Flashes.  Has anyone been helped by eating on this plan?

Hoping to STAY COOL!

Day 4 done with no issues.  My vertigo seems to come and go a little still, but not too bad.  I got a really good night of sleep last night after two pretty awful ones, so I'm feeling good.  I actually got to sleep in a little with the toddler, so I just had banana, cashews, and coconut for breakfast with coffee and coconut oil.  Lunch was eggs with onions, spinach, and mushrooms.  Supper tonight will be cinnamon beef stew.  Last night I roasted a pan of sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions, and today I'm planning to make more of that best ever braised cabbage.  I've hard-boiled 8 eggs and sliced up a bunch of veggies.  Now all I need to do is cut up my lettuce and I should be good for a few days lunches!  

I don't have a food processor yet, but would like to get a good one that's not too expensive.  Does anyone have any ideas for one that will make nut butters, but doesn't cost $200?  Thanks!

Sounds like everyone is doing great!  Good job!

Day 5! Imexcitrd ti have made it this far. I'm not one who generally does good things for their health so I'm proud. I've experiencedinsomnja, slight headaches, a teeny bit of moodiness and sugar cravings. I had dreams I ate non compliant food and woke up so relieved. Its getting a tiny bit easier but I've been on teacher winter break and go back tomorrow. I'm nervous! Wish me luck!

Hi everyone, glad to see you're all getting on alright. My two-day language course was uneventful food-wise, the buffet was sandwiches, sausage rolls and pork pies and not at all even a little bit tempting.  I did treat myself to quite a few of the grapes to go with my tuna salad.

I feel like I'm in the kitchen all of the time and none of my meals make enough leftovers to supply my husband who eats at least five meals a day. Really I need a bigger oven, fridge and freezer--- they're all inadequate for this sort of cooking.

I made the cottage pie from theclothesmakethegirl tonight, but didn't actually bake it in the oven so just ate the mash and mince separately on plates with carrots and green beans. It's definitely going on the list of meals that can be thrown together without too much effort.

Robin22- My cheap food processor will make sunflower seed butter, it just takes about 10-20 minutes. It starts to overheat in the summer, but that's not much of a problem right now.

SLPStacey- Good Luck being back in school. Take more food with you than you think you'll need.

Oh you guys...today is killing me. I am hungry but I am so. sick. of. meat.

That is all.

I recommend roasted veggies. :) Doesn't matter what you have, as long as it can handle the oven for a while. Toss with oil and spices and roast at 350 until they are the texture you want. The longer, the better IMO. I like crispy browned bits. Eat with scrambled eggs for protein.

Day 5:

Woke up with a headache. Went away with breakfast.

Meal 1: scrambled eggs, half avocado and a boat load of kale.

( Ate this after helping the kids make pancakes with chocolate chips and the BF toast with his eggs)

Got an hour in on the elliptical.

Meal 2: Spinach turkey muffins, some raw veggies, closed hand of almonds and some pomegranate seed.

Meal 3: Stewing up some Rogan Josh from Well Fed ( smells wonderful), smooshed cauliflower and steamed carrots.

Desert will be sauteed apple with cinnamon and pecans.

I highly recommend Well Fed. I tried to buy Well Fed 2 but Barnes and noble were sold out when I stopped.

Good day with the family and now watching the Packers.

Have a good night all!

Steph

Miminette - I found, for cramps in my legs, that potassium was the issue for me.  Magnesium did nothing to help with that.  It took a long time to figure that out, but if I have almonds on a regular basis I am fine.  I didn't know, but they are pretty decent source of potassium.  More salt did not help... at least not the sea salt.

For all you cocktail lovers, I found that club soda (unflavored soda) with crushed mint and a lime wedge make a pretty nice mocktail.  If in a bar, and feeling selfconscious, this imitates a cocktail really well.  I just think it tastes good and it's not just water.

Okay, on to the introduction.

I'm in Austin, starting my second Whole 30 after falling off my paleo, with a bit of dairy, wagon when my mom died in November.  My friend told me I had a serious case of anger eating. It got really bad right before Christmas, when I was sick in bed for 5 days and just wanted peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Strange, I know.  I ended all the crappy eating by stuffing my face with anything that sounded good the last 2 days of the year.  Not a healthy way of going about it, but by then I really didn't want to be eating any of that food, and since just the crappy feeling of wheat in my body wasn't enough to make me stop, over-indulgence somehow did. 

I started on January 1, although I decided on the second that I was going to have protein shakes the mornings I exercised because that has always worked for me, I stopped that on the 3rd to do this cleanly, so I guess I will have to add on a couple of days. I still don't know how to eat for exercise. 

I'm definitely needing help in the veggie dept..  I eat veggies, but I wish I had some more recipes for those like I do with the cook-up on theclothesmakethegirl.com.  I'm just not sure I eat enough of them.

I hadn't put together the waking up often with the not sleeping you all talk about.  But MAN I woke up a LOT last night.

I still have to curb my overwhelming desire to munch while watching tv at night.  The almonds are all gone, so hopefully that is the end of it. 

Hi everyone!  Day 5 is in the bag!  It was a great weekend even with the nagging headche.  I made the Prosciutto-Wrapped Frittata Muffins (Nom Nom Paleo), Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat (Well Fed) and Belly Dance Beet Salad (Well Fed 2) as part of my cook up for the week.  All amazing recipes.  I cooked dinner for my BF last night (he is doing W30 with me).  We had a lovely candlelit meal of grilled salmon marinated in lime juice, cumin and EVOO served on a bed of Zucchini Noodles (Well Fed2) with a dollop of Southwest Cumin Lime Dressing (Well Fed) and a salad.  We made a special night of it by getting out the "good" dishes and glasses.  :D We usually eat out on the weekends.  He told me we would have paid $50 for that meal and it would not have tasted as good!  He did freak out a little when he saw the "pasta" in the colander :o  

I love reading all of your posts.  It is great to hear from those on their (insert number here) W30.  A big help to Newbies like me.  Keep up the good work!

Kat

I was just looking at that recipe - I think it may have to happen this week. SO yummy!

I was just looking at that recipe - I think it may have to happen this week. SO yummy!

Rogan Josh was awesome! I served it over the smooshed cauliflower.

The girls (8&10) loved the cauliflower and ate steamed carrots tonight for the first time without brown sugar on them. (a habit the BF started when they were little that I'm trying to break). BF wouldn't stop raving how awesome dinner was.

Yea!

Sick as a dog today. The kids gave me a case of the crud. I felt good enough this evening to make some tomato soup (fire roasted diced tomatos simmered with coconut milk, onions, and garlic, then pureed). I meant to use today to do a weekly cookup, but oh well. Tomorrow is another day. :)

little headache tonight but that could be because of stress from the little fender bender we were in due to icy road conditions...and subsequent failed effort to get home followed by a re-routing that added a whole lotta extra time.  I wanted to kill things earlier but I think that was all directed at the ice and my daughter's poorly-made-for-such-conditions car.

was looking forward to making dinner hours ago but by the time home, some leftovers sufficed...glad I wasn't tempted to bail and eat a bagel to help relieve the anxieties of the evening

Day 5, I took a nap on the couch while my toddler and baby snoozed...and when I say napped I mean I passed out cold, drooled on the pillow, and woke up an hour later after having the strangest dreams, ever. Yeah.

I woke up this morning (and yesterday) feeling really shaky. Not pleasant. I have had a great appetite until today, this morning I started my meal off fine but practically had to choke my eggs down by the end of it (three eggs scrambled, sauteed greens and tomatoes). Coffee with coconut oil and a splash of coconut milk. I might just be an official convert.

Meal 2 I made a salad with some chicken and pork and veggies and avocado, I slogged through about a third of it and then gave up and layed down. I just couldn't do it.

had a few almonds and unsweetened coconut after my nap (my mom was here and was going for the chips and guac and wine and I needed to be saved from her, lol)

Meal 3, pulled pork loin, sweet potato, frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrot blend. I did better with this meal but still wasnt really hungry and didn't finish the sweet potato.

Hopefully the morning shakiness goes away. Things have been really stressful this week and I think that has contributed to the rough mornings as well. Ugh. But overall, easy going.

Kerri - That is one of those situations where a Lara bar in the glovebox or bag comes in handy. I'm generally a bit anti-Lara bar but they are portable (if you're unlikely to have them regularly, I'd put them inside a hard container so they don't get squished). Glad you're okay.

Day 5 almost done.  Today was the least organized after being really organized for the first four days.  I started a new job last night, one which always has tons of junk food sitting around, and a cabinet full of junk food (I work the graveyard shift as an emergency vet.)  Luckily someone brought a crudite plate with tomatoes, carrots, celery and olives for us to snack on, so the unhealthy food was untouched.

The kids start back at school tomorrow.  I'm not as organized as I planned, but did get two compliant lunches, two snacks, two dinners for tonight, and two breakfasts organized before I left for work tonight.  Unfortunately, this is the time that my husband chooses to off-road with them, but I "think" he will stay compliant with them.

As for me, I was cooking all day for everyone else and somehow missed breakfast.  I did an hour on the treadmill and then came home to make sauteed tiger shrimp marinated in various spices.  Ate the with leftover grilled tomatoes from the sirloin steak and chimichurri sauce I had made last night, and the garlic mushrooms roasted in ghee.  Yes, last night's dinner was delicious, as were the leftovers.  And like above, last night's homemade steakhouse dinner was basically a do-over for the horrible restaurant steak dinner we had the night before, and a lot cheaper!

Plans for tomorrow - I want to make up my latest batch of chocolate chili.  My kids and I just love it.  Even a double batch barely lasts.  I actually have the fixin's for pad thai so want to try that, too.  Otherwise, I'm in keep it simple mode.  My husband had temper tantrums the last time I did a whole30 because the kitchen was a mess all the time.

I made the best chicken stock/bone broth today!  I stuck a chicken in the crockpot to roast, with some Kirkland salt-free spice mix.  Then pulled the chicken out, removed the meat from the bones, and put the bones back in the juices that were already in the crockpot, added carrot, onion, celery, water, cider vinegar and salt, and boy is that good.  I freeze my broth in 1/3rd cup muffin tin portions, then keep a bag of them in my freezer to drink in the morning when I wake up.  This is the best one yet.  I had tried a recipe that used chicken wings only for the bone broth, but it was really bland.  I'll do something with the meat I pulled off.  I keep it shredded in the freezer.

For dinner tonight, greek salad and, actually, egg salad.  Strange combo, but it was what I could easily grab on my way out the door to work.

Today went well. I feel pretty good. Slept hard last night. Twice today I caught myself having no you can't have that! pouty cravings conversation in my head, but they passed fast. Made homemade chicken soup with veggies. Tried a paleo compliant muffin recipe for the family, but I didn't have any. They were a hit. I did the recumbent bike for an hour. Slow ride.....Take it easy.....onward to day 6!

oohh, broth in muffin cups, why didn't I think of that! :D I make so much, icecubes get a bit silly, I don't have enough trays.

I read one post where the person puts the broth in dixie cups on a cookie tray in the freezer because she didn't have enough muffin tins.

Have had headache all day long and practically stayed in bed all day also.  Since I've been snowed in and now "iced" in, can't really walk around as i usually do for fear of breaking another bone. So for exercise I've gone up and down a few times the stairs of my home.  

Meal 1: two scrambled eggs with plenty of mushrooms, tri-color peppers, and onions in olive oil with three tablespoons of picadillo ( Cuban dish made of ground beef with onions,  peppers, fresh garlic, tomato sauce, olives, and raisins) and two cups of organic spiced rooibos ruby red chai tea from Trader Joe's.

Meal 2:  Slow cooked pork shoulder with spices, small hass avocado and sweet potatoes.

Meal 3: one pork chop baked with curry powder and mustard powder and some organic garlic olive oil with roasted tri-color peppers and sweet potatoes.

Hope tomorrow is a better day.  Onto Day 4!!

I had a headache for two days too, but today seems to be better. Im really struggling with the no sweetener thing... really really struggling. I had some honey in my tea... I know. I had a few days of kill all the things and super exhaustion all in one go, yesterday I slept all morning and early afternoon. My legs feel like lead. Does anyone have any advice on how to manage the sugar grumpies... I cant see past it... I think I have a particularly bad sugar dragon that will take a couple of rounds of this to kill off... Its a lot easier said 'Don't feed it'... its so mean if I don't!

Im finding stretching and yoga type stuff works for the achiness, Im eating only compliant things.. finding it a challenge sticking to a meal schedule, but trying very hard and doing better then when I did when I tried W30 a few months ago. Just tired and lacking motivation. I think Ill find some later when Ive rested a little bit, my legs feel like lead tho. Im thinking a hot bath may help... I don't know.

Archived