Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started and gave up several times throughout 2013, so I too am going to begin a W30 on January 1.  I'm hoping to break my nightly glass of wine habit and improve what I suspect is an inflammation/auto-immune issue with my skin.

My two biggest vices--half & half in my coffee in the morning and a glass of red one at night.  We can do this!

Excited to see the interest in starting together on Jan. 1. I just had two pieces of fried chicken tonight and know I will feel awful by about 8 tomorrow morning. I can't wait for a month of feeling awesome (well, three weeks after the first week of detox anyway). I know I need an even longer time of totally clean eating than 30 days but I will re-evaluate my commitment to go longer than 30 days mid-way thru. Six days and counting down.

Hi run4fun. I'm in for Jan 1, and definitely look forward to some forum support. I have discovered that I have a pretty poor relationship with food, and I am going to use the month to re-set my thinking, and reflect on what I want from eating. I wish to focus on the idea of 'eating for performance' rather than just eating for the sake of it. I am into CrossFit and have my most important competition period coming up in March. I NEED to get ready to perform at my VERY best :)

My first Whole 30 ended in a Whole 25 last September-October.  I lost two sizes!  I totally fell off the wagon over the past few months and I can really tell a difference.  My belly fat is out of control!  I gained a size back and I am not happy with myself.  January 2nd will begin a new Whole 30 for me.  My biggest issue is sugar.  I love sweets and my daughters are excellent cooks and bakers.  They live with us and it is a test of my discipline because when one of us doesn't stay on track, we all fall off!  Wish me luck! :) 

I did my first whole 30 in November - still following loosely - but planning on starting in Jan also  - but thinking the 2nd   - just because we will have had company through the first.  I will need to go get some replenishes in some things.  I just am helped seeing what people are doing and encouraging each other while we do it.  I read it wrong last time and somehow did the re-intro during my first 30 - didn't realize until I was almost done.  Looking forward to starting over - have bought a couple paleo cookbooks and whole 30.  My deal is just trying to keep it simple but have the proper food around. 

Holy cow - I overindulged big time over Christmas, and my MIL sent us home with fudge, cookies, pie, candy bars - you name it. I am in full blown sugar addict mode! A bit nervous about starting in a few days. I'm planning to do a HUGE cook up on Sunday/Monday to get ready - any favorite bulk recipes that freeze easily, send them along!

I'm starting Jan 1 as well... It's my first time and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the info.

But I'm getting ready by trying to make a meal plan for week 1 at least!

Any tips or advice to syphon through the information to keep it simple?

Here we go!!

Keeping it simple is a great way to approach the Whole30.

Here are the basics:

- program overview: http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/the-whole30-program/

- meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

- shopping list: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

I'll be starting my W30 on the 1st, too! It will be my 4th W30 and I'm very excited!

Mama.epstein, you're right to make a plan--if you can, go for a cook up over the weekend--you could check out Melissa Joulwan's blog, The Clothes Make the Girl. She has some fantastic W30 recipes and thoughts, and it's very straightforward. Good luck!

JoyfulSusan, I thought I'd have a rough time without cream in my coffee, but I switched (kicking and screaming at first) to bulletproof coffee in the mornings. When I finished my first W30, I went back to cream, and was unimpressed. Now I really prefer bulletproof coffees (I'll say nothing of the eggnog lattes--those have to GO)...

I look forward to keeping up with everyone on the forums--let's do this thing!  ;)

I completed a whole 30 last February and felt incredible! I want to get back that great feeling and my running time was the fastest it's ever been. I shaved almost a full minute off my jogging mile without even trying. My energy was abundant. I am running Miami .5 marathon in early February and want to do it with the full advantage of whole 30 effects. I am on board for a 1/1/14 start date.

Starting my first whole 30 January 1. Very excited! I eat well at meals but its the stuff in between that doesn't serve me well. So time to tidy up! I have ITP an autoimmune blood disorder where my body attacks my platelets. Keen to see if there is any difference to the platelets levels following the 30 days. :)

Sarah-- I would love to hear if you think it helps.  My 6 year old nephew also has ITP.  My sister has tried some dietary modifications but Whole 30/paleo would be a huge undertaking in their house.

I read today that Selena Gomez has Lupus and my first thought was "I wonder if she has done a Whole30"!  I feel so much better while I am in this Paleo world.  I completed one Whole30 in September and remained 90% Paleo after that, though not Whole30 compliant, as I did try Paleoicizing various items to get my kids on board.  But Christmas has snuck in and all of us in my family are eating foods we don't even like!

My kids and I will start on the 1st with you.

The hard part is not me, it is keeping my kids Paleo, too.  They both have severe forms of ADHD.  After half-heartedly trying "gluten-free" over the past few months, and then slacking off over Christmas, my husband and I have come to the conclusion that their behavior really IS a lot better on a Paleo diet, especially Whole30 compliant.  So my challenge will be not only for me to complete a Whole30, but to do so with my kindergarteners, too.

I am in for 1/1/14.

I have been mentally preparing for a few days.  Will be my 3rd try at Whole 30. I made it 17 days once before falling off the wagon last January.  September, well,  lets just say the sugar withdraw never got conquered.  My biggest challenge is starting the morning with a real breakfast and breaking the very bad morning, Starbucks habit.  Yes,  I start my morning with 53g of sugar.  I just looked it up and that is more sugar than a coke of the same size. WOW!

My son has been on the Feingold diet for 9 years so the cooking aspect of lunch and dinner is easy. I have been making multiple versions of the same meal around his diet for years.

My  advice for first timers....

have ' emergency food'  planned

nuts and fruit and lara bars are not recommended BUT if they mean the difference between quitting and not ... my non official opinion is use them to put the sugar dragon to sleep so you have time to marshall your forces and rally the troops.

a well timed sweet potato will help you avoid a meltdown that might lead you to administer nuts or fruit

have enough glass or plastic containers for leftovers and mobile food

don't approach coconut milk, cabbage for breakfast or whatever might be new to you with fear and disdain... have an open mind...lifelong habits take time to change, but they aren't weird choices - just unusual for unhappy people on the Standard American Diet.

review why you are doing this every morning, every night, and whenever you are with other people who feel insecure, inconvenienced or threatened by your saying no to eating and drinking things they are scarfing down. you may be surprised at the powerful negative response you get - although possibly less so in January when its the general season for austerity.  

I am going to keep 3x5 cards and notes on my phone to review at bad moments.  I did this after a bad breakup and it worked really well.  The analogy is intentional.  You are breaking up with the sugar dragon...and it will be bad.

Finally, and most important.... don't think its okay to 'cheat' by checking the scale.  I learned a LOT the first time by reading all the posts by people who were so depressed in the middle or at the end because the w30 wasn't 'working'.  What they meant is that they were upset they hadn't lost more weight.

Convince yourself right now that it's okay if you don't. lose. one. pound.   If you make it through January on your first w30 you will have achieved something MASSIVE.  Don't ruin it by thinking the scale is the one who gives you the prize (or not).  When I trained for and ran a half marathon, I didn't really lose any weight over that 6+months.  But damn  it, this couch potato ran a half marathon!  If weight loss is the be all and end all of your experience, ignore the advice about the fruit and nuts...

The w30 is hard, but it's JUST 30 days.  And if you are relatively close to a healthy weight, you will have different results from someone who has 50 or more pounds to lose.  The number of variables are HUGE... and the point of the whole hide the scale thing is to retrain your brain from thinking that that number means as much as you think it does...Don't let our weight obsession and belief in instant success ruin this experience.  Medical mysteries, court cases and criminal investigations don't REALLY get resolved in 40 minutes like on TV.  A lifetime of SAD doesn't resolve itself in a calendar month.

Don't quit at the end.  Trust me, as hard as week 1 is... weeks 3 and 4 have their own special snowflake challenges.  The payoff isn't in the scale, the payoff is in the careful reintroduction and finding important things out about your body on food...For example, in my case,  dairy makes my face puffy -and the circles under my eyes dark - in a way that spending a lot of money on cosmetics / skin care is never going to fix.  And I have now experienced the 'gluten baby'... with gluten I have a 4month pregnant belly that amazingly deflates without gluten (regardless of calories /fat).

thus ends my sermon :)  (which is more to remind me then you...by the way)

Lexes42, I totally agree! As each week unfolds, I found there was definitely something 'new' that came to the foreground. First time around, I remember sitting at meeting after meeting with cakes, biscuits and sweeties before me and realizing eating them was a habit: i wasn't hungry, I didn't relish them as treats, it was just a habit. That was a breakthrough moment for me, but it was three weeks in before I had it!

RedJuice, First time round and two weeks in, I found that having brekkie was KEY. I was a different person--calmer, better focus, more energetic...and on. Knowing this, for me I find it interesting that this is the main area where I have fallen off. I've ceased to make the time to do what makes me feel my best...and that needs to be redressed. 

More rambling thoughts: my favourite go-to with training and eating was sweet potato with coconut flakes. I can't stress trying new things that you would have turned your nose up at pre W30. You learn a lot about what your true tastes are when you're eating within these confines of a W30. I always loved new and unusual foods, but I found, too, that foods I thought I loved (and missed) were just...okay, when I reintroduced them.

This is a great journey, so embrace it, everyone! 

Archived