Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be heading to the shop tomorrow and buying some of the shopping list to get me started. All I ask if for some help in getting recipes? 

Being a Type 1 diabetic and reading the It Starts With Food book; it has helped me understand insulin and how it affects the body.

I look forward to doing the Whole30 from 02 January 2014.

As far as recipes, my favorite is Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed, mentioned above.  But the most important part of her book is when she talks about "hot plates."  That section isn't regular recipes, per se, but more guidelines to really easy-to-put-together meals.  Basically any protein + fat + veggies, add a variety of spices or whole 30 sauces (she gives tons of suggestions) and you have really easy, delicious, not-too-tired-to-make-after-work meals.  :) Plus her idea of a weekend "cook up" is a great time saver. 

I'm considering not doing a "before" and "after" weigh-in this time. Part of it is that I just can't mentally bear the thought of getting on the scale, and I'm thinking that'll put my focus on weight as opposed to health.  I *may* just do a before and after waist measurement.  Any thoughts on this?  Bad idea?

I'm considering not doing a "before" and "after" weigh-in this time. Part of it is that I just can't mentally bear the thought of getting on the scale, and I'm thinking that'll put my focus on weight as opposed to health.  I *may* just do a before and after waist measurement.  Any thoughts on this?  Bad idea?

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't limit it to your waist: consider taking additional measurements, e.g., bust, thighs, hips, arms, calves, and also taking before and after photos.

I'm game!  This will be my first go around with Whole30.  I'm hoping to finish the book It Starts With Food tonight or tomorrow. 

I already eat pretty clean. 

I quite drinking soda 5 days ago so I've started some of my New Years resolutions a little early.

I think that cheese is going to be a toughy for me! 

But if I can quit drinking and smoking (over 4 years now) I can do this too!

Jenny, I was thinking the same thing! Great idea, IMO.

This will be my third W30, my first was Aug 2012 and second Jan 2013. I used to be a daily weigher and starting with my first W30, lessened the frequency of weighing so that now I haven't stepped on the scale since the last time I went to the doctor (in Sept). I've offroaded pretty badly in the last month and a half and I'm pretty sure I've gained at least five pounds. My pants are telling me so. And I'm optimistic that this W30 I will lose it and it would be satisfying to see the # go down.

But I'm not going to do it. The reason is that I know that there is so much more to the W30. In addition to a pant size, in my offroading I've also gained back digestive issues and stomach pain, bloat, lethargy, body aches, itchy/red/dry skin, brain fog and depression. And I have been trying to get pregnant this past year and it's not happening quickly. I will be really happy if these issues improve (and I know they will). But if they do and I step on the scale to see that I have "only" lost 5 or 2 or zero pounds, that adds a layer of disappointment, you know? Why would I do that to myself?

One goal of W30 is to stop letting the #s on the scale dictate your actions. For me, the only way to truly live by that standard is to not weigh, and to not buy into the fear that if I don't weigh things will spiral out of control out of ignorance. Given the other signs, weight is pretty much irrelevant. The other signs, as noted above, tell me much more than the scale ever can.

Good luck to all, especially those embarking on this journey for the first time. I truly believe it's one of the best things you will ever do for yourself.

I would add 'nomnompaleo.com' as a go to for recipes....Michelle Tam also has a new cookbook and very pretty ipad app.  Chowstalker and Pinterest have plenty of good communities, but I don't go there because it's too easy to see something else I can't have....

Other common food problems:  getting tired of eggs, losing interest in eating altogether, and getting tired of cooking / cleaning the kitchen!  It can feel like you are becoming obsessed about food in whole different way.

Just know that is normal,  and you 'will' get better at meal planning / cleaning up fast.  I started using ground pork as a Meal 1 option when I couldn't face another egg and didn't have enough left overs.  That and salmon fish cakes seemed 'breakfast-y' enough to give me a break from the egg for a while...

I also believe the loss of interest in food is a good thing.  It's a little depressing, at first.  But then I realized how depressing it was that I was letting 'what I'm having to eat next'  be the major joy in my life!  Eating for fuel is weird to a carb-o-holic....just like if you stop drinking for a while, you know perfectly well that club soda is NOT as awesome as a gin and tonic... but after a while you realize you can be fun, social, enjoy life without vodka (or wine... or cupcakes...).  Despite what the crazy media will have you believe, wine and bacon will not be taken away tomorrow.  But if they were, life would pretty much continue.   I once believed that wasn't true... that there was no WAY I could live with diet coke, red wine, or bagels.  Funny how things change.

Hi all!  I'm starting January 1st as well, and like Walker, I'm hoping to use the forums much more this time for support and ideas!  This will be my third attempted Whole30, and second successful one!  I've been living paleo since June of last year and have found that it's helped so much with a range of health issues - migraines, allergies, asthma, anxiety - and it's made me feel great overall.  I'm hoping this round that I'll be able to significantly improve bouts of myofascial pain that have been flaring up as well and to clean up after the holidays - I need to say goodbye to that sugar dragon, even if it's been mostly "paleo" sweets.  I can't wait to learn from you all!

I have been semi-Paleo for the past four months and am loving the increased energy! Have not eliminated dairy fully, but will beginning January 1. And I had a few "cheat" days over the last four months. Oh, I didn't cut out wine either. I will for Whole30, but will likely add it back in when I finish Whole30. May do another Whole30 beginning February 1 with the Auto-Immune Protocol - not sure, yet.

Looking forward to the journey together!

I'm in! Hoping to start jan 1st. I've had SEVERAL false starts but I'm gonna keep trying. I've done one successful whole30 so I know it's possible. The list of reasons why I need to get my nutrition in line again is a mile long and I truly am sick and tired of being sick and tired. So looking forward to a fresh start! I definitely want to keep going past 30 days. I was disappointed when my first whole30 didn't solve every issue I have but I've since realized that some of my health problems are going to require more than just a month of clean eating so I'm in it for the long haul!

I just got my "Day 0" email (renewed my "daily" subscription) and it suggested that we set goals for at least some of the 9 Whole Life principles.  I know that I didn't do that in the past-- other than, "I hope this makes me thinner" (ugg).  So I thought I'd share my 4 goals with you, and why I'm choosing them.

Nutrition:  I will stay Whole 30 compliant, 100%, for the entire month, 31 days.  To be perfectly honest, I chose this goal because I feel the need to prove to myself that I can choose a nutrition-related goal and stick to it for some amount of time that I decide ahead of time.

Sleep:  I will get 8 hours of sleep at least 5 days per week. I pretty much already do this, but since sleep is oh-so-important for health, I decided to make *sure* that I'm doing this. 

Stress Management:  I will *NOT* check work email when away from work unless I am working from home.  I will let my staff know that if they absolutely need me when I am not working, they should call me or text.  This could be my *most* important goal here-- I've been so stressed out from work, and "connected" 24 hours a day.  (due to a huge work project).  That can't continue!  This is the one I'm going to need help with!

Exercise:  I will engage in physical activity at least 3 days per week for at least 30 minutes.  I am sc0heduling this for 8am on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. TOTALLY fallen off the exercise-wagon.  I was Crossfitting up until I got heavy into this work project and I went on hiatus.  Here's the kicker-- I work at a GYM.  A YMCA, which is awesome, but you can't crossfit there (not the right equipment for many of those moves, or the Olympic lifts.)  Anyway, I don't plan right now to go back to crossfit, but may (in the spring) start putting together stuff for my own garage gym, but darn it, I go to a gym every. single. day.  So I've scheduled it in before my work day (I work latish-- this will also prevent me from working 10 hours a day!)  Hallelujah!

Ok, sorry to long-winded there.

What are your goals for your January Whole 30???

Jen

Great goals Jen! There is software called 'rescue time' that will help you block sites that suck the life out of you ( including email). Cold Turkey or AwayFind might also be useful in helping you avoid non important / falsely urgent work mail.

Setting technology boundaries is a great goal!

January 1st... I'm in! I've done a few elimination diets & eat a very clean, whole foods diet, but this will be my first Whole30. I actually started my first Instagram account to track my journey & will probably make a few videos about it too. Hoping to improve my allergies- would love to be able to hang out with my cats without itching & sneezing my brains out! I didn't always have this issue- only started a few years ago & it has gotten progressively worse. Hoping it's just a matter of eliminating one food type, rather than having to go too extreme ie The GAPS Protocol. My fave indulgences are quality goat cheese & super dark chocolate.  :)

I didn't set goals for my first W30 and wish I had. I also didn't take before and after photos, so that's a must this time too. So, here are my goals:

1. My nutrition goal is to try at least one new W30 approved recipe and a new vegetable each week. I got in a rut last time and ate the same few things over and over. I'm not much of a cook so trying new recipes can be intimidating.

2. I want to turn off electronic devices an hour before bed but this is my only time to read the W30 forum and blogs and stay connected so, I'm going to forego this goal and just commit to 8 hours sleep at least 5 days a week. I will also drink a cup of chamomile tea before bed.

3. I am going to spend 30 min per day, at least 5 days a week doing prayer and meditation to help manage stress.

4. I will go to the gym 1 hour per day 3 days per week at the minimum. I will also stretch 5-10 minutes daily. I hate stretching so 5 minutes feels like an hour for me.

5. I will post an update each day and record my journey through this W30.

Thanks for listening!

I'm in! I had made it up to day 20ish in the past, but quit due to a poorly rationalized decision to eat a hot dog. I tried it again a few more times, but failed to fully commit. I commit this time! This time my attitude has changed. Its just 30 days and really I can go one day at a time in order to suceed. This won't kill me. People have survived harder trials, I've survived harder trials. I'm going to post daily, although I know I won't have time to always read what everyone has already posted-sorry if I miss a post by you and fail to respond!

I like the public goals! 1) follow whole30 food guidelines. Suceed by giving my self meal prep time daily, try a cook up, and keep a stash of nuts and vegtables handy.2) fit in a 30 minute walk a day, probably during my lunch hour. Yay!!

I'm excited to be starting my first whole 30 on January 1st!  This time last year, I made a commitment to try out being paleo for a month ... It lasted a lot longer than that and I loved it!  But the past few months I have strayed and I look and feel terrible.  I've read "It Starts With Food" several times and I am thrilled to finally get a chance to go through with it.  I am definitely worried about giving up all sweeteners, alcohol and my paleo versions of SAD food for a month, but I know it'll be worth it!  Although I was pretty strictly paleo last winter/spring, I don't think I ever went a day or two without trying even a small bite of something with gluten/sugar/dairy/etc.  (I work at a preschool, there's a lot of junk around!).  I am ready to learn once and for all what is best for my body and how to be my healthiest self!  I am hoping to ...

1) Lose weight

2) Sleep better

3) Have more energy

4) Have fewer mood swings

5) Have fewer digestive issues

I am also planning to work out more!  Can't wait to read everyone's stories and learn from you all!

I set goals for my second Whole30 and it did make a difference so I'll share mine here as well for this third Whole30.

1. Nutrition:  Going to try to eat fish at least five lunches a week.  Going to only eat nuts sparingly and in emergency situations (these are foods without brakes for me)

2.  Sleep:  From my past two Whole30's I've made sleep a major priority in my life and it has done wonders.  I feel like my sleep health is really good right now and the only interrupts are really sick children.  My goal is to take a sauna (we just bought one!) two nights before bed a week and see if that increases my sleep health and to try and remember to take the Natural Calm at night.

3.  Personal Growth/Stress Management:  Along with the Whole 30 I have decided to participate in the 30 day mindfulness challenge through my yoga studio.  I will read 'Making a Change For Good:  A Guide for Compassionate Self-Discipline' and do the short daily exercises attend at least 2 of the 4 (free) group discussions at the studio.

4.  Exercise:  I already do yoga 5X a week.  I would like to do at least two hikes this month in the mountains.  I also would like to try a new dance class since my dance teacher (I do NIA once a week) is leaving the area. Also, I would like to every day do:  shoulder stretches for mobility, a headstand and at least one type of extra hip opener.

5.  Active recovery:  I will drink water after I do yoga.  This is a problem for me in the winter (drinking water).

6.  Temperance:  I will turn off the computer by 9 pm and read.

This will be my 2nd whole 30. I'm going shopping this morning, and will be ready to go tomorrow.  I'm mostly paleo since Aug 2011, but have been cheating a lot the last part of the year. I managed to lose 30 pounds and achieve goal weight within about 8 months with paleo and some intermittent fasting--I felt amazing!  Maintained for a year.  Turned 48 in April of last year and it all fell apart.  Gained 10 pounds in 3 mos (which is what prompted my first whole 30) and have been struggling to get it off ever since

My first whole30 had mixed results. I never got the energy increase, in fact I was more tired than ever and napped pretty much every day--I simply couldn't keep my eyes open by the time 3pm rolled around, and if I was sitting, I was asleep (good thing I'm a stay at home mom).  I lost 4 pounds, but regained them within 2 weeks, even without completely falling off the wagon and diving back into old foods.  I learned I can't eat cabbage--at all.  And I learned that blueberries and strawberries with whipped coconut cream taste BETTER than pie when you haven't had any sugar or fruit for 2 weeks (I suspected a yeast issue, so did 2 weeks without even fruit to test it).

I have several food allergies--diary and eggs are severe, garlic, sunflower and cashew are mild.  I've never tested positive on an allergy test to gluten/wheat, but am definitely symptomatic when I eat it--my hands and feet ache, I bloat and look 5 mos pg, have horrible gas, and my ears itch like crazy (I thought this was yeast, but it's been definitely tied to wheat with elimination and reintroduction). I do well avoiding the dairy and eggs, not so much wheat and sugar.  I've finally gotten to the point that the symptoms are NOT WORTH IT. And I'm ready to go gluten free.  I also have a serious potato chip addiction--absolutely a food without brakes for me.  Not only are the fried potatoes bad, but they are fried in sunflower oil. I think I need to go no almonds too--overeat them way too easily..

So goals:

1) No weighing--I weighed through my first whole30 and it definitely takes the focus off the good stuff that's happening when the scale isn't moving.

2)30 days compliant, no cheats, no excuses.

3)exercise--I'm a slug, I never exercise. I'm going to begin teaching dance in a few months again, and need to get in shape. So 3 days a week of ballet bar of at least 30 minutes, plus stretching before bed every night.

4)Sleep--at least 8 hours 5 nights a week.

5)Moderation--limit computer play and Kindle time to 1 hour per day on weekdays, 2 on weekends.  Electronic devices OFF 1 hour before bedtime.

Look forward to making this journey with all of you.

Archived