Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Man I feel good...I mean, I am super stressed at work and this weather is horrible (I'm in Michigan)...but I'm in such a good head space right now. I can't imagine how good I'll feel when I can actually spend time outside and my work settles down some. Maybe then I'll see some tiger blood!

YES! I had a conference up in Indianapolis today, and things have been super crazy at home (sick, whiny kid, really sick, REALLY whiny husband, crazy at work) and  I was driving home just feeling like "my GOD I feel good! Why in the heck do I feel so good?!?  Oh, yeah-- Whole 30!!!"  What I can't get over is the amazing amount of FOCUS I have.  I can get stuff DONE!  Not like jumpy and leaping out of my skin, but just really good and really focused. 

I have a son with ADHD who is a breadaholic and a crap-a-holic.  Totally.  And he's 13 years old, and I don't know, I really want him to do this, but he absolutely refuses.  And at this age, I don't think I can push it on him.  He's too old for me to force-- since I'm not in control of what he eats when he's out of the house- I really can't.  I just think it would make such a difference for him.  *Sigh* 

I am noticing the difference in my clothes these last few days.  Whoo hoo!  I just FEEL thinner.  No- I feel healthier!  (ok, AND thinner.  I can't lie. )  I just love it when my pants don't cut into me.  My husband said, "oh, your jeans are all loose in the butt.  Don't lose weight in your butt!"  He's obviously getting over his sickness.  :P

Last day tomorrow!!! 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't wait until tomorrow to measure.  I am VERY HAPPY to report that I lost: .5" each around my calf and upper arm, 1" each off my hips and thighs, and TWO INCHES!! off my waist.  I can see a faint hourglass shape for the first time since before my pregnancy!  I am so proud of myself.

And let me tell you, I have been STRESSED to the MAXXX lately - work has been rough and my commute is killer and we're house hunting in a part of the country that makes Manhattan look reasonable and I wanted crappy Mexican food and a margarita SOO BAD today, but instead I treated myself to the knowledge that eating healthfully works.  I am going to keep on trucking save a few minor tweaks - again, not fussing about bacon or eating the occasional rolled up piece of store-bought roast beef, and test out beans and rice as a money saver, but that is it.  This is working.  And it might be working more slowly than I want, and I might not feel magical, but progress is progress, and I can't argue against these results.  And it's not a coincidence that I now have the willpower and self-knowledge to resist the glass of wine that I used to turn to after a series of crappy events.  

Holy cow you guys DAY 29. This feels like it was a long month and yet also short... I feel like it was just the other day we were starting, but also I feel like I haven't eaten rice in forever.

Today was crazy at work; two people who get the monthly returns prepped and mailed were out, so I was helping the third get it all done. He's new and wasn't sure what was going on, so it took us until three and we didn't get to eat lunch until then. Also didn't get my water in today or yesterday because of it, so y'all, I am bloated up like a balloon. At least I know why! So we were going crazy, and his supervisor, who is super nice, was checking in on us every few minutes to see how she could help and... she ordered us a pizza. It wasn't a mean gesture; she was trying to provide lunch for us since we were stressed and had no time. I panicked and said I'M SORRY I DON'T EAT PIZZA I CAN'T HAVE DAIRY. It was totally in all caps like that, with this awkward face like I was saying HAHAHA WHAT A QUAINT EARTHLING CUSTOM CRUST WITH SPOILED MELTED MILK AND CRUSHED TOMATO I CANNOT PARTAKE OF YOUR FARE HA HA HA HA I'M NOT AN ALIEN. Fortunately she was really cool about it and just said, "Oh, I didn't realize, I'm sorry." Very cool of her, both the gesture and not riding me about it. My supervisor is kind of a health nut, so he nodded his approval at my carrot soup, tuna salad, raw veggies, and some other thing I had that I don't remember now. The tuna salad had half an avocado in it so it wasn't my fat. I don't even remember. IT WAS THAT KIND OF DAY. I was proud of myself for not eating the pizza.

I ruined another nonstick pan this weekend. This time it wasn't me being a flake and walking away from the stove while some oil was heating up; I thought a burner was off, and it was not off. Then like an idiot, even though I knew this was the worst thing to do, I used a magic eraser to get the burned oil off. Then... are you ready... I tried to pan sear some fish in that pan. I KNOW, I KNOW, obviously I was having a severe case of River In Egypt, and obviously it ended up being a weird fish scramble and half of it stuck to the pan. The weird fish scramble was still pretty good though.

Lexes, don't feel bad. I think it has already been said better than I can say it, but we are human; sometimes we slip. I agree that making it 28 days is still an accomplishment! Don't beat yourself up too badly.

Semolina, I am STOKED about that leek chicken pie. I'm going to try making a crust out of name, this Costa Rican veggie I picked up this weekend. I checked the forums to see if I could eat it and yep, it's a starchy veg. It looks like a potato with a shaggy, bark-y peel, and it's a lot stickier than a sweet or white potato when you peel it. I grated it and tried to squeeze water out like you would if you were making cauli mash or sweet potato hash, and water didn't come out... it was this slimy foamy kind of stuff. Sort of like okra! I fried it up in some coconut oil and it got really crisp and toasty. It was kind of pleasantly bland, so I put some garlic powder on it. I think it would make a good crispy crust. It really dried my hands out handling it, too!

I'm not going over the 30 days, but part of that is because I want to see once and for all if dairy does to me what I think it does. I have strong suspicions.

DAY 30! Let's finish (or be part way there ;) ) strong!

Whether it's your last day, signalling a little break, or a marker on the way to your Whole "insert no. of days here", have a fantastic one and remember you're doing something THEY simply can't. Go ahead, be smug :)

Day 30! Already??

So Happy and I feel Unstoppable !!! What what! A month really does fly by and I'm ready to go for another 30 days. I haven't weighed myself or really wanted to, physically I know my stomach is flatter, my face is clearer and more vibrant. My moodiness is almost nonexistent these days and I'm hardly hungry between meals. My sleep is off the charts and energy levels are stable. Being in control of my nutrition is a very comforting feeling. The next 30 days I'm going to focus more on exercising while still eating Paleo, but I'm thinking about adding heavy cream to my coffee and seeing how it feels or maybe not we will see.

This group has been the biggest motivator, so supportive and enlightening! It's awesome to be able to talk to others who are educated about health and want to claim wellness for themselves. I plan on posting more with others who wish to continue the journey! Love you all!

Semper Fortis

Day 30! Last night I had my first dream about food ... I was visiting a private detective (????) and she offered me a chocolate and fig biscuit (again ?????). I took a bit bite and then remembered I didn't eat food like that so then had to find a napkin to dispose of what was in my mouth ... in a sort of mad scraping it out "no no no I don't eat this" kind of a way.

DH told me this morning I had an eating disorder because I only eat healthy food (actually unrelated to my dream ... to do with a story he heard on the radio this morning). He wasn't attacking, it was just an observation. Personally, it feels a lot less disordered than what I was doing before. It might not be "normal" eating but WTF is that anyway? I don't feel that food controls me anymore ... with these "rules" in place I am in charge.

I am going out for dinner tonight and I am not going to stress about what might be in the salad dressing or in the gammon steak. I will be gluten free, though, and sugar free. I think that will be my holding pattern ... just not sweating some of the small stuff.

Well, happy day 30 kids! I will post a link to a new thread this time tomorrow!

:)

Well done everyone for making it to Day 30.

I had zero sweets cravings my first Whole 30 and nothing really this one until last week and now every time have a spare minute I fancy some chocolate or gummies.  (I think because it's that TOM).  So I've been telling my self multiple times a day that 28 days isn't good enough.

I think I'd feel more tiger blood if it weren't so cold and miserable here. It's not that I don't feel energetic, I just feel completely unmotivated to do things like clean the house, go for my run and do the schoolwork that I don't want to do.  I think my work expands to fill all of my available hours in the day (I think there was a Whole 9 post about that somewhere).  I have seriously been in college for about 5 hours this week (spread out over 3 days) and have still gotten absolutely nothing done.

But my mood is definitely better than it usually is for this time of the year.  And even though I feel heavy and bloated right now, I've gone down two notches on my belt. from what it was post-Christmas/New Years.  So overall, I'd say I got what I was hoping to from this Whole 30.  I'll be taking Saturday off and then back on the mostly Whole 30 train for the rest of February.  Thanks everyone for being such a fabulous support group this last month and am glad to hear that lots of us will be sticking around for awhile longer.

Exercise and better time management are going to be my main focuses for the next month, now that I have the eating mostly sorted out.

hi everyone! congratulations on your day 30!

I just wanted to come in and make a plug for controlled reintroductions at this stage. I know some of you are continuing on, and some have already done a whole30 or two (so already know which foods are issues) but if you have not: please do not fall head first into some beer and pizza / starbucks lattes / cake tomorrow!!

Choose one thing that you want to reintro (like gluten or sugar or dairy), have that at all three meals in some form, then return to whole30 for two days to observe and see if there are impacts, then move on to the next thing. If you reintro too many things together you may feel terrible and not have any idea what caused it, so this is invaluable information to have in your toolbox.

Here's to a great day 31!

Thanks everyone.. everyone!... for the encouragement.  I appreciate it.  Although it certainly took a number of times reading the responses to shut down the 'mean voice' in my head that said - 'yeah, whatever, they all have it way harder then you and they didn't eat crappy cold sour cream potato for no good reason'.

W30 has given me sustained control over that automatic 'shove whatever food is close by in my mouth without thinking' disorder.  When I ended the last w30 I did it in a considered way.  If I had thought to myself on day 28 - well this day is especially heinous and I am concously choosing to put w30  in th back seat- I don't think I would have been so disappointed.  And if I HAD thought through that there may have been non compliant eating, but I doubt it would have been the snowball effect of one mindless act after another.

MissMary I agree that it's no bueno to think of doing the w30 as punishment for eating transgressions.  I am thinking through what 'riding my own bike' is going to mean for February.  

Why W30 number 2 was easier this January:

Nothing was totally unexpected.... I was mentally prepared for the long haul

Winter is the perfect time for W30 friendly soups, stews, squash etc.

Being in the kitchen seems more fun, less of a pain then in the summer when its hot

There is little to no gorgeous, inexpensive in season fruit to overdo

Why it was NOT easier this time:

Winter blows.  Boredom, coldness, cooped up cabin fever depression can embolden the eating lizard (he is bigger and meaner then the sugar dragon - he's just not as clever and doesn't move very fast)

Hibernation feels instinctual... food naturally becomes more interesting then anything requiring physical effort (for me)

People still ply you with a lot of food - baked goods - because they are battling the winter blues too

This PMS ice patch took me by surprise because I had been feeling pretty good... pride goeth before the fall!  I did end up with a migraine yesterday which was notable because it was the first time in two weeks(!) I had taken migraine medication.  That's a win.  I had a neurologist who told me that carbohydrate and sugar cravings are so entertwined with migraines (preceeding them) that they don't know if craving carbs, and eating them, helps bring on a migraine  or if a migraine coming on spurs the massive craving for carbs.  Like PMS, generally what you are craving only makes you feel worse.

Happy Day 30!  Spring is coming... it's inevitable!

Good morning! Happy Day 30!

So the verdict is an inch off my waist, and half off my bust and hips. Would've loved more, but my body does not love to let go easily. :) So that's fine. 5.4 pounds, which is also ok. I feel good, and that was the goal.

Today I have an event for work at a bowling alley. The girls at work were trying to convince me that as it is my "last day" on Whole30 (whatev) that I should just eat there. I was like "You want me to quit on my last day for bowling alley food? pshaw! No way!" LOL Anyway, my drink tickets will be used for soda water and I'm planning to eat a bigish lunch after my workout so I won't be hungry. No biggie.

The funny thing is, during the normal course of things I likely wouldn't eat there anyway. I can't eat corn/corn syrup (does really bad things to me) so most of those places are right out. So it seems like a no big deal thing.

Winter blows.  Boredom, coldness, cooped up cabin fever depression can embolden the eating lizard (he is bigger and meaner then the sugar dragon - he's just not as clever and doesn't move very fast)

Hibernation feels instinctual... food naturally becomes more interesting then anything requiring physical effort (for me)

People still ply you with a lot of food - baked goods - because they are battling the winter blues too

I couldn't agree more with this whole thing. Doing a Whole30 in January may be harder than it could be at other times because of winter, but I also think it may be when it's needed most. I have had years where I drown my winter blues in food and it really doesn't help and then I just feel crappy about myself.

This winter has been especially brutal with it being so cold.

Thanks for this thread everyone!  I am feeling great today. I am not continuing a Whole30.  I want to continue eating Paleo and learning how to (better) ride my own bike.  This Whole 30 was the easiest of the three I have done.  It was good to cut off nuts.  I actually bought them last night and had a few and realize that nuts are not something I can have on a regular basis.  

I looked over my 'goals' and I did well on all of them but the Temperance (turning off computer an hour before bed).  I have been sleeping really great though so it doesn't impact that but I do think I'd read more or whatever if I quit being on FB so much at night.

Foods I included and now love in my life this Whole 30:  Prosciutto (seriously, I may be done with bacon even), sauerkraut, full fat coconut milk.  

I'd love to follow your thread to see how you all are doing on your W30+ extensions.  I won't post about offroading I promise!

I still plan to do one every Sept and Jan as a reset.  Am thinking of a mini one in May to prepare for summer.  Congrats to everyone!  I have decided not to weigh myself.  This is kind of a big deal and I think a healthy psychological response for me.  I did wear a pair of yoga pants under a pair of jeans yesterday for sledding with my kids and those jeans did not fit me in the end of December so that felt great!

DAY 30!

I am putting myself to the ultimate test today, this last day of my Whole30. I work for a software company doing user research and usability stuff, and today I had to come into our local office (I work from a home office) to recruit employees for a usability test. One thing always works to recruit software developers: doughnuts. So, not only did I have to pick up two dozen crispy cremes (and I'm going to have to sit with them all day), I had to say no to the free, fresh out of the oven crispy creme offered to me when I went to pick them up.

Nothing like a challenge on the last day! Stay strong everyone!

Day 30.  10 lbs lost (though truthfully I was at a post-holiday high when we started on the 1st).  I can't believe the month of January is over!

And the kids did great this time.  No more heartwrenching begging for SAD foods.  They actually parrot "we don't drink milk", "we don't eat cake", "we only eat healthy food".  Good babies.  And they are eating me out of house and home.

This time was not so hard because I had a few recipes that I like and I just cycled through them.  I did decide I hate bone broth (the stock that you let cook for an extra day to get the minerals out).   I do still love my store of regular chicken stock, and I love soup for breakfast.

I am still three pounds above my goal weight.  Those three pounds are important because it is too easy for me to put 2 lbs on to put me over an arbitrary mental plateau.  My gym has a class for people trying to get bikini ready.  I haven't worn a bikini for 8 years.  I'm probably too old to pull it off, but it would be fun.  Yes, here in California we are already thinking about summer.

And, no more chronic pain!  The real reason I do this for myself.

I'll do a cautious reintro on the kids to see if I can figure out what there ADHD triggers are.

So, for the people staying on - anyone have a plan how we should do this?  I plan to start at a "day 1" again, not day 32.  That didn't work for me last time.  Is Feb 1 day 1?  Or Jan 31? Or shall we jump ship and start a Feb 1 thread?  Someone take the lead!

DrTracyB - my mom is in her 60s and wears a bikini proudly.  Life is too short! :)

Last I measured I'd lost 1.5 inches off each thigh, 3 inches off my waist and 3 off my hips.  I was stunned.  Will let you know if the last week changed anything.  FYI, this is from around December 20 (though after that I went a little crazy on food and wine!).

Woohoo! Made it to Day 30! I haven't done weight and measurements yet, I'm saving that for tomorrow (staying off the scale was no problem for me, I'm a chronic scale avoider). I did look in the mirror this morning and think "looking good." It could just be because I know it's day 30 but whatevs. I'll take it, and hopefully the numbers will just be confirmation. 

Lexes - I totally agree with your better/worse assesment. Getting through this W30 was way easier than my first one because I knew exactly what to expect and already had a stack of recipes and foods I knew I loved. But I didn't get the same mood/energy kick and I'm blaming January for that one. 

After reading today's daily e-mail, I'm planning to ride my own bike...sort of. For February, I'll be staying 100% compliant at home and won't sweat the small stuff eating out. Since I don't actually eat out all that much that probably means 90% compliant overall. Still staying gluten, legume, and (obvious) sugar free, but I think I want to reintro cheese. It's the only dairy I'm remotely tempted by and I'd like to know how it affects me. 

I'd love to keep checking in with you all however you plan to continue on. It's been a blast!

Day 30 - a little temptation today. Someone in my office made scrumptuous cupcakes. A co-worker said I have to have one or at least have a small bit and give her the rest. I told her I'll pass and she could have mine. I'm sure they're delicious, but not worth waking up the sugar dragon I've successfully avoided for over a month.

I'm really happy to hear how everyone is doing! I'm going to continue on for awhile. Don't know how long. I just really like the way I feel eating this way. And knowing that I'm nourishing my body makes it all worth it, especially when I see members of my family having health problems that I know could be resolved with good eating.

Day 30 and I definitely feel better than I did even a week ago.  The heartburn went away, I feel a little thinner (will weigh tomorrow), and my face seems clearer.  I'm not planning to continue on, but I will be staying mostly paleo.  I'd like to reintro dairy to see if that is what makes my complexion worse.  We'll see.  I think the only think I might do differently is start using butter again.  

This has been a great experience, and overall, much easier than I thought it would be.  I haven't posted a lot, but it was definitely helpful to come and read everyone else's posts.  I hope to continue following along.  

The one thing I haven't done is any exercise.  It's brutally cold here in SD, and right now I'm not too motivated, since I'm not actually overweight.  My coworker's daughter is opening a crossfit gym here this summer, so I am excited about that.  I'm going to try to get in a little better shape before I start going there.

Good luck to everyone who is continuing! 

Woohoo! Made it to Day 30! I haven't done weight and measurements yet, I'm saving that for tomorrow (staying off the scale was no problem for me, I'm a chronic scale avoider). I did look in the mirror this morning and think "looking good." It could just be because I know it's day 30 but whatevs. I'll take it, and hopefully the numbers will just be confirmation.

I'm totally with you. This morning I looked at my stomach and thought "Wow!" It was the first day I saw a real difference. I'm a little hesitant to weigh myself tomorrow but am leaning towards doing it a bit more now. I know the number isn't the be all and end all but it will be nice to have a measure of the experience.

Day 30. Amazing! ! !

yay to everyone here!

I have taken the past couple days for some reflection and I plan on keeping mostly primal/paleo, with some full fat dairy. I both loved and hated the whole 30 because of some major stress in my life (and marriage). I am thankful I had the guidelines to keep me from diving mouth first into a giant pot of pasta, followed by whatever else might be in the fridge, when I was upset and stressed. I also hated it- believe me I have had many nights this month where I would have given anything to pour a humongous glass of wine to "feel better" about every thing that's been going on. Clearly it wasn't a bad thing to build a bit of strength up against that crutch. I missed really great foods, and restrictions sometimes drag out demons worse than some little sugar dragon might snuff at. Overall, I am so happy I took this on, and I am especially happy I broke the sugar habit!!!!

now, for the drumroll...........

9 pounds lost!

I didnt take measurements, and I am sure its because I essentially cut out carbs the last two weeks. Either way, its a start!

I can't believe we are actually here.......and I have made it all the way!!! I could almost cry I am so proud!! My weight has been a huge problem for a long time & I haven't stayed on any diet or eating plan or whatever you want to call it like I have Whole 30. I think one reason it has been so easy for me is I just eat good food til I'm full....and I only eat 3 times a day.  I know I am feeling better.....only have had glimpses of tiger blood but over all mood is better.  Still some issues with sleep but have seen improvement. Have had a hip problem that had really started to be painful all the way down my leg....the pain is now only in one spot & is mild....headed to the chiropractor next week & I think after a few treatments I will be pain free. 

Will actually weigh in the morning.  Will probably take measurements tonite.....don't really think I will drop 4 or 5 inches more overnite  :lol:

I plan to continue.....just not on Feb 8th(will do the best I can that day)........so not sure which thread to follow.......

It has been so wonderful to check in when I could & see how everyone is doing and get ideas & recipes.  You have all been great & a source of encouragement.  Wish you all the best!!

See you all tomorrow........can't wait to read your reports  :)

Hooray!  Even though I'm continuing on for another 15 days at least, it does feel like an accomplishment since I did complete the Whole 30. 

I had the biggest craving last night to have a piece of chocolate.  I kept thinking, eh it won't hurt to just have one little piece especially since you're going to be staying on it.  Thankfully I was able to tell myself that I've come so far and since I'm still having mild gastric issues having that piece of chocolate would be detrimental to my progress.

I do plan to weigh myself tomorrow just so I can see what's happening with that.  Since I'm so large weight fluctuations of up to 10 pounds don't really register with my clothes.  I'll be interested to see what, if anything, I've actually lost.

Of all days, TOM is coming so I will stay off the scale tomorrow for fear it will upset me because of an inflated number. I adored this month but I have had stomach issues the last three nights so I am feeling blah. It has begun each time after dinner and my meals have all been compliant. It might have something to do with the nibbling and snacking that I've started to do again - especially in the late afternoons. Oh well, I guess this is something to sort out in the coming weeks. This is further affirmation that I need to spend a little more time on the plan.

But I am so proud of all my forum- friends! I love reading the reports of success. If I could raise a glass of wine for you all, I would (but I won't). Kudos and High fives all around!

EAH

Archived