Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

I googled 'Whole 30 and sugar cravings' and got this link... very helpful. Im taking all my honey from the house and giving it to my neighbour who will hold it for me until Im done with W30.

...my laptop is acting weird and wont let me copy and paste things at the moment... grrr.. If you need help with sugar cravings googling Whole 30 and sugar cravings might have some useful info for you... 

its the Your Whole30 Daily: Day 4... I bet you have all heard of it but its new to me...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Day 6,

You were cool and all but I think I'm ready for Day 7!

Today was extremely stressful, probably because it's Monday and I just got super busy, and everyone's back from leave trying to burst my bubble. But we did have time to take my BP, 114/66.... Not too bad. I'm curious to see if it goes down by the end. Hmmm.

Today I noticed:

1. I wasn't at all hungry in between meals.

2. A nurse I work with is now also doing paleo, not whole 30 but still pretty cool to see that I am making an impact.

3. My focus level was on ultra high gear today and if anyone interrupted me...well God rest your soul, seriously.

4. Stable energy levels :D

5. Waking up before the alarm. Internal alarm clock activated!

Quotes from today, "Lawrence, paleo does NOT make you a very nice person."

*commence eye rolling*

Sweet dreams young whole thirtyers, and keep your game face on ;)

Day 5 (3) completed yesterday. Last night was the first good night's sleep I have had since I started. Only got up twice to go to the bathroom but had some bizarre dreams the last couple of nights. Woke up without a headache -thank goodness! This week is going to be busy but I have enough leftovers to last me for several days. This is first day back to work since I started.

Someone mentioned waking up hot ... I have done that the last couple of nights as well.

Good luck to everyone today and happy Monday!

My first day since day 2 without a headache!  Woo-hoo!  First day back to work so I may have a headache for a different reason in about 8 hours!  HAH! 

All is good - we're almost through week 1, guys!  Keep rockin! :P

Thia - so sorry to hear about your mom. So know where you are. My dad died at the end of October and I had been doing W30 eating before then (well, up until he got very ill anyway) and then I spent the rest of 2013 eating all kinds of crap. VERY pleased to be here in 2014 and doing the W30 thing again.

Eating veggies ... hmm. I can't imagine not having many of them. My plate is always loaded. For breakfast this morning I had roasted cauliflower with cocoa (Well Fed) which I made a couple of days ago and just heated it up, with roasted carrots and cumin which I made for dinner yesterday and two eggs, but looking at the plate there were way more veggies than eggs. Lunch was a small chicken breast with some lime and cumin coleslaw I made 4 or 5 days ago -- again, great pile of coleslaw, teeny weeny chicken breast; and dinner is going to be a pork tikka masala curry, using pork from our roast last night and a compliant home-made curry sauce (Jamie Oliver) which I made in a huge batch and froze several portions. I will serve that on a bed of riced cauliflower (also done, ready to sautee in the fridge -- will do me 3 or 4 meals as a rice substitute). I can't get over how many vegetables I do eat. I'd thoroughly recommend roasting veggies ... fennel, onions, tomatoes, carrots ... mmmm ... in huge batches and then you can make them as large or as small a part of any meal you want.

Day 5 in the bag, onto day 6. This is really easy this time (so far). I know for me the issue is organization and having food in the fridge so I am doing a little every day which will last 4 - 5 days so I have a nice wide variety at every meal time. I've also realised I need to do my food prep FIRST THING in the morning or I lose the will to live and get to tired and then it's all over. So, tikka masala curry this morning, roasted tomatoes and riced cauliflower. THEN ... drumroll please ... I did some exercise!!! Possibly the first time in 6 or 7 years. I used to be pretty hard core and then I had what feels like hundreds of children in quick succession and exercise galloped off into the sunset. I did a DVD at home this morning ... can't get over how unfit I am but am stoked that I did it. It was only half an hour and I did it all pretty low impact but got very sweaty anyway :) and then afterwards I was STARVING. Totally was not expecting that. So very proud of myself, and will be repeating it tomorrow, unless we get trapped by the weather again and I am supervising the hundreds of children I have.

Go everyone! We are ROCKIN'!

Day Six started off just ok.  I'm having the hardest time acheiving my goal of bed before 10.  With a pre-schooler, two full-time working adults (plus I freelance AND commute 2 hours each way on weekedays), and all the cooking, it seems like "everything else/life" has to happen between the kiddo's bedtime (8 pm) and whenever it gets finished (last night: 11.30).  That equals cranky adults and slow mornings.

Glad I did all that cooking this weekend though.  Had a spinach, zuke, egg muffin with 1/4 avocado and salsa for breakfast, plus a pear.  Now that I'm at my office, having my daily bone broth.  Am really into it, unexpectedly.  Lunch will be another big-ass salad with tuna and spinach and various chopped veg.  Dinner is going to be citrus carnitas in lettuce cups with sauteed peppers and onions.

I still feel like I'm eating too much - I try to estimate according to the meal template but my appetite is so large I find myself overeating at least one meal per day.  Like the eggplant strata from Well Fed we ate last night...food with no brakes for me?  It's just sauce, eggplant, and meat.  Yet I feel SO GUILTY for eating such a big serving!

Also, this is the point in my Whole30 experience where I start to want to quit...the positive effects haven't started happening yet but I'm sick of seeing the inside of my kitchen (specifically my dishwasher) so much! 

Even though I'm what my husband and I call "chimera" today (my ass is dragon, get it?) I'm still going to go to the gym.  I'm trying to get energy boosts from exercise, not extra food.  Perhaps I'll take it easy - just a half hour run and some legwork...oh, squats, I can't quit you!

Day 6 today!  Feeling great!  This weekend I prepared almost all of my meals for this week, so I am feeling ready and looking forward to another week of whole 30.  I really haven't gone through any struggles with this whole 30 so far.  Probably because I have been (mostly) paleo for a year now.  This time last year, I would've been giving up my coke zero, vitamin water zero, splenda and all that junk too, so I'm sure it would've been more of a challenge.  I thought that not drinking would be more difficult, but I feel that none at all is way easier than moderation for me.  My boyfriend is doing whole30 with me so that helps a lot, and I haven't really been around friends eating junk and drinking yet, which might be a struggle.  Also I've been mostly on vacation since I've started my whole30, so not much stress in my life right now :) 

Some things that have improved so far ...

1)  Way less bloated, flatter stomach, and I feel certain that I have lost some weight already.

2)  Much less digestive distress... what a relief after all that terrible holiday food and the resulting stomach issues!

3)  Sleeping better ... I have always had issues with insomnia and it takes me forever to fall asleep, but already since whole30 I am falling asleep faster and not waking up as often.  I suspect that that is from the elimination of sugar, alcohol, and only having caffeine in my one AM cup of coffee.

4)  Eating healthy makes me feel more motivated to be healthy in other areas of my life, such as fitness.  I have been exercising most days and trying new workouts like yoga.

5)  I am only hungry when I actually need food! This is amazing!  During the holidays, I was constantly eating crap.  I was frequently full to the point of feeling sick, but I would still get "hungry" for more food shortly after.  I don't know what it is but these whole30 meals really keep me full and satisified!

Some things I still want to improve ...

1)  I am still very tired in the mornings and need my one cup of coffee to get up.  I would like to feel more energized and less "out of it" when I get up in the mornings.

2)  Still want to improve my sleep habits more. 

3)  Lose more of my "holiday weight" and continue to be increasingly physically active.

4)  Cut back on cravings, although so far these are much rarer than usual.

Good luck to everyone!

Meal 3: Stewing up some Rogan Josh from Well Fed ( smells wonderful), smooshed cauliflower and steamed carrots.

Desert will be sauteed apple with cinnamon and pecans.

I highly recommend Well Fed. I tried to buy Well Fed 2 but Barnes and noble were sold out when I stopped.

Good day with the family and now watching the Packers.

Have a good night all!

Steph

Well fed's rogan josh is fantastic! A bit spicy, and the meat gets this amazing texture. Great with the mashed cauliflower.

I've got a snow/ice day today from work! Feeling good this time around. I've enjoyed cooking (because I've had the time) and finally am sleeping pretty well. Really vivid dreams last night (though not about food!). I am finding myself getting hungry before bed. Don't know if I'm staying up too late or not eating enough dinner. I mostly think it's staying up too late ( but the weekend found me sleeping in too much and hence staying up too late at night. When I have to get up and go to work tomorrow that should get me back on the right "going to bed" track. :)

Here is Day 6 and I'm feeling surprisingly good!  I did not experience Kill ALL the Things this weekend, but also woke up with a mindset that I wouldn't be that way.  I've got three little ones at home and didn't want to take it out on them. 

I got on my treadmill yesterday for the first time in weeks and it felt awesome! Yay me.  Now if I can fit it in at other points this week...we'll see!

I had friends over for dinner last night and made The Best Chicken recipe from Well Fed, mashed sweet potatoes and a big salad. Everyone loved it. I also made chocolate chip cookies for them (and my family)....which was hard to make and not eat the dough (mmmm), but I did it.  I reminded myself I could have some next month, and that was ok.

I don't think I'm eating as many veggies as I should...so need to work on that.  Otherwise, I think I'm doing ok with the protein/fat/veg at each meal.

Am I unrealistic that I'm going to feel this positive about the rest of the 30 days????

Emily ... try not to worry too much about "eating too much". It feels like eating too much sometimes on W30, but as long as what you are eating is compliant, it will all even out eventually. The first time I did this I was in a foul mood for most of it because I was convinced I wasn't going to loose any weight because I was eating so much (and so much fat, TBH) and the pile of food on my plate at every meal looked obscene ... but I wasn't snacking all day long and was eating food that was really good for me and I lost 8lbs, which I could not believe. Last go round and this one are much easier because I am not worried about "eating too much" and I trust that all will be fine and my body will tell me when I'm full. I do still overeat (especially when I've let myself get too hungry) but I am not doing emotional eating, and the food I am eating is healthy, and if I eat too much then it just takes me longer to get hungry again and I don't beat myself up about it. You need to let go of preconceived ideas about how much is enough or too much and just go with the flow. It's REALLY SCAREY. (Or at least, it was for me!). Good luck.

Am I unrealistic that I'm going to feel this positive about the rest of the 30 days????

Not a bit!  But be cautious as the sugar demon and other cravings can still take you off guard - even as you're getting to Day 25-26.  Good job getting on the treadmill!  As cold as it is today in Texas, I'll be dusting mine before I get on it after work today!

Getting nervous.  I have the BF's company holiday party on Friday night. 

It's usually a huge buffet style dinner with a ton of carb loaded dishes and veggies slathered in butter.  I'm worried that I am going to walk away from that line with just a few slabs of meat on my plate - and a green salad.  (hopefully!)

LOL

I still feel like I'm eating too much - I try to estimate according to the meal template but my appetite is so large I find myself overeating at least one meal per day.  Like the eggplant strata from Well Fed we ate last night...food with no brakes for me?  It's just sauce, eggplant, and meat.  Yet I feel SO GUILTY for eating such a big serving!

This is me too.  I just am a starving beast all day, so have been eating more at the meals.  Maybe it's the lifting?  I don't know.  Seems like I look a little leaner, don't feel bloated, so I'm guessing it's fine!  Glad I'm not the only one.

Getting nervous.  I have the BF's company holiday party on Friday night. 

It's usually a huge buffet style dinner with a ton of carb loaded dishes and veggies slathered in butter.  I'm worried that I am going to walk away from that line with just a few slabs of meat on my plate - and a green salad.  (hopefully!)

LOL

Can you call ahead and request a special meal?

I think it takes time to adjust to this new way of eating, so if you feel like you are eating too much, just wait a few days and see how you feel about your portion sizes then. For me, it's getting easier to eat less protein and more vegs and fats. I am still hanging in there, waiting to feel awesome. What the whole30 really teaches me is how much I depend on food for entertainment, comfort, etc. I would love to just veg out on the couch with a movie and several bowls of ice cream but it's not happening.

Planning to grill at lunch today, hoping to do steaks, chicken breast, and maybe a hamburger. I am so sick of cooking and cleaning up the kitchen!

I have been making lots of yummy stuff but the family keeps eating it all. I guess it's good they are eating good food!

Happy Day 6!

Ok, so last night's sleep was AWFUL! And I don't usually have sleep issues at all, but this was related to girl stuff and the fact that my legs were sore from my workout... lovely. Anyway, the weird thing is despite maybe sleeping 3 hours I woke up way more refreshed than I did yesterday. So that's something to celebrate! I also woke up with no headache. I'm hoping it stays that way. 

I am NOT adjusting well to coffee with no sweetener. Bleh. And I'm not one to put a ton in, either. Usually the milk is enough, but coconut milk is so much less sweet than cow's milk is that it makes a big difference. Ah well. Coconut milk will suffice for now. I did add a bit of cinnamon today, which helped. 

Breakfast this morning was sweet potato, apple, onion, sausage sauteed in coconut oil and topped with 2 eggs. I did throw in a few raisins, too, and oh were they nice. They browned up with the onion and added a ton of flavor. I'm kinda sick of this breakfast, but it keeps me full (I ate at 7:30 and I'm not really even thinking about lunch yet).

Lunch packed is a salad with spinach, snow peas, avocado, tomatoes, peppers, chicken and almonds, topped with Tessamae's dressing. I have broth, too, if I am cold. 

No clue what dinner will be, as himself cooks during the week. :) He was so cute - printed the list of compliant foods and taped it to the fridge so he wouldn't forget. 

No real cravings, except for that darn scale beckoning me! I can hear it, all the way at home. ;) Of course, it could be my worst enemy too, if what I'm feeling doesn't reflect. So I shall behave... grudgingly. 

Or even eat a small meal in advance.

I don't know that they would do that.  Or if I want to stand out as having a special meal made for me - do you know what I mean?  I'd like to blend in instead of making a deal out of it.

I will need to eat a small meal before hand, that's a great idea!  Thank you.

I also make some homemade Larabars that I can stash in my clutch, and maybe some almonds.

I don't know that they would do that.  Or if I want to stand out as having a special meal made for me - do you know what I mean?  I'd like to blend in instead of making a deal out of it.

I will need to eat a small meal before hand, that's a great idea!  Thank you.

I also make some homemade Larabars that I can stash in my clutch, and maybe some almonds.

I agree, I would not request a special meal in advance, especially if this is your boyfriend's company party and not your own!  I think you will be fine if you eat a meal before you go, and then like you said stash some emergency snacks in your purse in case the event doesn't have anything that you can eat.  Good luck!!! 

Things have been going well. Some interesting observations though. Both the braunschweiger (sp?) and kielbasa I get from Northstar Bison have honey and the kielbasa even had black barley flour in them.  Boo. So they went back in the freezer. But fortunately, my hot dogs are good to go. So that's a plus. I need to work more on cooking things like squash. I have some lovely butternut squash from our garden that I need to roast.

I'm the only one in the house doing the whole 30, but its okay. I'm used to eating differently from my husband and daughter.

Sleep wasn't good last night. My dog had to go out at 3:15.  I get up at 4 so I never went back to sleep. Oh well, you gotta go sometimes!

Lifted upper body weights this morning and will do sprints on my stationary bike tonight.

Hey... Well into day 6 and feeling good.  I woke up a few too many times as well last night but I was planning on getting up early to start (re-start) Focus T25 - a 25 minute-a-day high intensity cardio program from BeachBody (same instructor as Insanity).  I am doing the T25 program for the next 10 weeks.

I ate well yesterday and again on plan today (back at work).  I am in a bit of an avocado phase and really enjoying them right now.  Just finished my salad with a whole avocodo on top!

Cheers

DJ

Day 6 today and I feel like I'm in a complete fog.  At work I can't concentrate and am running around in circles.  Bah! 

I've been feeling very full after meals, and not hungry between, so cravings haven't been too big of an issue for me.  I did have a dream last night that my husband had baked the boys chocolate chip cookies for breakfast when I woke up.  Weird.  

Today I had sauteed spinach and onions and eggs, plus cashew coconut banana bowl.  Lunch was leftover cinnamon beef stew (Well Fed) and some roasted sweet potato and carrots.  I was skeptical, but the orange gremolata really makes the stew! 

I woke up today feeling a little better (caught the kids' cold), but I still have a pounding headache.  I ate a slice of sweet potato/kale/beet greens/onion/bacon frittata, drank a bulletproof coffee (ghee instead of butter), and for lunch I ate chocolate chili over sauteed beet greens, plus an apple. 

I'm pretty tired, but I don't know if that is because of the Whole30, or because I kept waking myself up coughing last night. 

Day 6.  Boy, it's so nice having started on the 1st.  Last time I had to use the Whole 30 pep talks to keep track of what day I was on.

I just made the strangest thing - I think.  Chime in if this is something real.  A while back I made pot roast in the slow cooker, with roasted carrots, brussels sprouts, and carmelized onions.  We ate it then, and then I froze it.  Well, I unfroze the left overs this weekend and we ate them for another two days.  And basically my family is sick of it, and sick of beef, as we've been beefed out this weekend.  I really didn't want to refreeze it.  So -

I threw the actual beef in the Vitamix, added some chicken stock, added the carrots, the brussels sprouts and the carmelized onions, and blended the whole thing.  So, basically, I made beef stew soup/puree.  I can't find anything like that online except for baby food.  And it's delicious!  I'm having a bowl for M1 after looking at the former leftovers thinking I couldn't stand to eat beef stew one more time.  I hope blitzing my meat isn't a swypo type of thing.  My kids hate beef and I think this might be a way to get it into them, too.

I also just found out today that the convection portion of my oven goes down to 175 F so I am trying to make my first batch of kale chips for a little crunch in my life.  Costco is selling a huge bag of prewashed baby kale, hurray!

Archived