Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Day six nearly down! I just had a really tasty Hungarian beef goulash. I had some really old Weight Watchers cookbooks I was about to throw out when I had a flick through and actually found a bunch of compliant and tasty-looking recipes. Who knew! The goulash was really good.

I suffered from really painful bloating today, the third time since 1 January. I think it might be down to coconut milk. It doesn't normally bother me but I have been having it a lot and, looking over my food journal, I think that's the culprit. I'll be cutting it out for a few days to see what happens. So, that hasn't been great in terms of feeling good but I'm hoping it will improve.

I'm still a little bit Kill All The Things but trying to keep a lid on it!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my day 6 I am dying for the nap.  Unfortunately I'm back at work, so this is not ideal.  May head home soon and hibernate for the 'big freeze' that is finally descending on the east coast after a weekend of hype.  I am morphing out of KATT to just sleepy and a little depressed.  Don't think I can blame all of it - or any of it - on w30... but it does amp up the cravings.  I'm certainly not hungry, yet I am still wistful for a caffeine / sugar 'treat'  to cheer me out of my melancholy.

On the plus side, I cooked up a storm yesterday and should be set for the week.  This makes me feel less anxious, and  of course my meals are now more interesting.  Unfortunately I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't care for Well Fed's chocolate chili.  It's fine, I just don't love it and doubt I'll make it again.  I'm not a huge fan of mole either, so I guess that makes sense.

I am hoping that even if 'tiger blood' isn't just around the corner, that at least a calm alertness is coming.  Jan / Feb are not my favorite months due to Seasonal Depression, so I'm hoping that sometime in Week 2 I feel a kind of righteous inner strength from succeeding at the w30!  I am starting a yoga class on Wednesday.  I'm so impressed with all of you who are exercising at regular levels.  I don't want to move....even to stretch.... sigh....

For me, it's getting easier to eat less protein and more vegs and fats. I am still hanging in there, waiting to feel awesome. What the whole30 really teaches me is how much I depend on food for entertainment, comfort, etc. I would love to just veg out on the couch with a movie and several bowls of ice cream but it's not happening.

Yes.  This.  Why is eating the one 'fun thing' I do?

The beef stew puree sounds delicious drtracyb, but I definitely get that your family is beefed out...I can only do left overs for a few nights and then I usually have to toss the rest. Such a wasteful person I am.

This morning marks my 7th day, week one almost completed! Hell yeah. :D The second week seems to be my breaking  point, last time I did whole 30 in July I fell off at day 11 or day 12? This time I'm holding on for dear life, and I've told all my friends that I'm doing an experiment, so they know best not to tempt me or they're asking for it.

This morning I had to wake up at 0400, and I wasn't such a happy camper either...I work out with the sailors and officers that didn't pass the weight requirements or failed the physical readiness training test (1.5 mile run, 2 min push ups, 2 min sit ups). I love working out with them and I love motivating people, but not at o'dark thirty. Anyway I suspect I will be needing a nap later today, as I didn't sleep very well knowing I may very well miss my alarm.

Best wishes everyone! You all motivate me greatly!

Wow!  I have not been online in forever.  I have been following in digest form and love to see what you are all eating.  I especially like it when you reference which cook book it come out of.

So far,  this has been my easiest detox.  Third time is the charm????  The headaches were manageable without Advil.  KATT really was minimal. And although not a ball of energy today,  I also don't feel I need to crawl into bed.  My cravings have been manageable and really,  it is butter I miss more than anything.

I also am managing to cook around 3 different people's dietary needs much better than in the past. Since my son follows the Feingold Diet (no artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, certain preservatives and natural salicilates- tomatoes, grapes, berries and peppers), I have mastered cooking and constant dish cleaning over the last 9 years.  But cooking for 3 different dietary requirements does stretch my mind sometimes.

My biggest concern coming in was slaying the sugar dragon and giving up my morning starbucks chai habit.  I started drinking coffee (with milk and sugar) around xmas and switched to coffee with coconut milk on 1/1.  It really has hit the spot.

Next big hurtle is 1/17-1/19 when I go away for a scrapbooking weekend-- all meals out.

Happy Day 6 Everyone!

So far this has been the best day for me. Still feeling pretty sleepy but still finding time for yoga. My worst day thus far was definitely day 4, cravings galore! Today I have a few cravings here and there but not nearly as severe.

What really helps me through the Whole30 slump (ya know, when you really are sick of eggs or whatever) is planning new meal ideas and also planning meals post whole30. It helps you to keep it fun and also realize that the Whole-30 isn't forever. I love this experience so far and will be even happier when I finally feel more energetic.

One weird thing I'm dealing with, noticing it is getting worse, not better - impossibly weak nails.  As in, peeling, denting, splitting, down to the nub and even lower.  It's painful and when I wash my hair the little splits I can't see catch on my hair and I end up pulling strands of hair out of my head!  This couldn't be related to a lack of something in my diet, could it? Anyone deal with this and have suggestions as to how to strengthen them?  I'm taking biotin and coating them daily in strengthning polish (Essie Millionails).  Like, maybe there is another supplement to try, or some food that might help?

One weird thing I'm dealing with, noticing it is getting worse, not better - impossibly weak nails.  As in, peeling, denting, splitting, down to the nub and even lower.  It's painful and when I wash my hair the little splits I can't see catch on my hair and I end up pulling strands of hair out of my head!  This couldn't be related to a lack of something in my diet, could it? Anyone deal with this and have suggestions as to how to strengthen them?  I'm taking biotin and coating them daily in strengthning polish (Essie Millionails).  Like, maybe there is another supplement to try, or some food that might help?

Lack of Vitamin D, cold and dry winter does it to me every year … no matter what I eat.

genifer - The sugar dragon is always grumpy when it's awake. The trick is to put it to sleep and not wake it up. Dates always wake mine up and he takes ages to put back to sleep then. I know it's easier said than done, but like quitting smoking/caffeine, the cravings will get the strongest just before you break the back of the addiction, it's your body trying to force you to eat the sugar, whether you want to or not. You can beat it, but you do need to be firm with your body, in this case the brain knows best. Sugar dragons should never pick the menu ;) Don't let it's temper tantrums fool you, it knows it's losing the battle.

Geek tip: if you're ever unable to copy and paste, rebooting your computer will usually fix this.

Lawrence - w00t! Internal alarm clock is awesome, I find my mental focus is much stronger on those days, you can often skip the coffee. 

Emily - Don't give in! If you're finding yourself in food jail, or making too many dirty dishes, think about changing the menu. If you're still hungry, you're not eating too much, but if you're finding the meals too big, add a fourth meal (using the template) and make sure you're having Pre & Post workout meals. Mod Tom started with 6 meals.

Carilyn - For me, more sleep helps with more energy :D

Jules - It does get easier :) It's the roughest when wrestling the sugar dragon (and any other dragons, some are quitting smoking or caffeine too) and those with health conditions. When things are hard, it's worth looking at why and seeing if there's a way to make it easier.

Day 6 is at an end.  It was a good day.  I woke up today and was not ravenous.  The winter vortex swept in to North Carolina this afternoon.  It was 42 when I got up this morning and it is 15 now on the way down to 5. Brrrrrrrr.   I hope everyone north of me is safe and warm with heat and power!  Hoping to sleep better tonight.  Last night was restless for me more like napping than sleeping. 

I have laughed with all the people who are tired of dishes and cleaning the kitchen.  I am right there with you! I feel like that is all I do.  I have gone from running the dishwasher once a week to daily.  All my food containers from work, dishes from breakfast and dinner and minor cooking for later in the week, really add up. 

Stay the course!! Talk to you tomorrow.

Kat

Drtracy - My mum always blended our casseroles when we were sick of them and gave us soup. We had no idea it was the same thing! lol it does taste different.

Jodea - Is there anything added in your coconut milk? Maybe try switching brands? Some folks are intolerant of coconut.

Day 6 went well. I feel like I'm eating too much also, but just going with it. I remember feeling this way first go around too and it worked out. (15 pound total loss) A few times today I felt a little tired, but it was short lived. Too cold for me for running group this morn, so I'll get on the bike to comply with my 100 day challenge of moving at least 30 min every day.

Day 6 went well. I feel like I am eating too much also, but remember feeling this way last time. Meals are compliant. A few times today I felt, yawn, a bit tired.. But it was short lived. Too cold for my running group this morning, so I biked indoors instead. Moving right along.....have a great day everyone!!

Day 6 went well. I feel like I'm eating too much also, but just going with it. I remember feeling this way first go around too and it worked out. (15 pound total loss) A few times today I felt a little tired, but it was short lived. Too cold for me for running group this morn, so I'll get on the bike to comply with my 100 day challenge of moving at least 30 min every day.

I went ahead and deleted your duplicate posts for you. The forum is being a bit slow tonight (with the influx of so many January starters) so be careful with hitting post a lot. I've done it too...it's easy to do. 

Emily - Iron, zinc and gelatin might help, but if you try a bunch of things and none are working, discuss with your doctor, might need a test to find what's missing. Bone broth would be a good start :)

Helen - You could go for a mayo-ish sauce or tomato sauce. Even add some olive oil.

For everyone sick of the cooking and the dishes, it really does get easier. One thing my partner and I realised was that at one stage we were regularly having a bag of pasta and a jar of sauce for dinner. This had no protein and very few veggies but the cooking and cleanup were supereasy. Think about what you used to cook and how long it took, vs now and the nutritional quality of the food. We'd been making our food faster and easier, but at the cost of nutrition. But good food doesn't have to take forever, find 5 meals you can cook and clean up after quickly and it gets much easier :) I think it's one of the reasons I love cooking breakfasts in the muffin cup baking trays. 12 somethings, easy cleanup.

Hungry today. Starving with a capital "S." Got hungrier as night fell. All out of whack.

Started with an awesome morning run. Late breakfast so wasn't ready for a lunch. Late afternoon mini meal and then supper. And at 10 pm I really could envision eating steamed fish (an enormous swordfish actually not a small mangrove snapper) as ISWF suggests as a litmus test. So I had another dinner. Again. I am finally feeling satisfied.

Tomorrow I will try to eat breakfast earlier so lunch isn't shoved aside. And no,I don't eat within an hour of waking because that upsets my stomach during a run. Earlier this week I had a hard boiled egg before lacing my shoes and that almost became scrambled eggs on the sidewalk at mile 2.

Best of luck with Lucky Number 7 tomorrow! Whooppee!

Felt pretty good today but then I got lazy this afternoon and ended up snacking on almonds and raisins while watching tv and making dinner. Made an awesome stew for dinner, it's Brazilian Fish Stew from allrecipes.com.

Grilled a bunch of meat at lunch for the family to snack on. Hubby ate more than I expected, again. Oh well.

My days are so busy it's easy to distract myself. Last time I constantly thought about off-plan foods, but it's better this time.

I started on Jan 1st. This is my first time on whole 30. I haven't had major cravings, and have made some pretty awesome meals. Broiled bacon_wrapped scallops, avocado dill dressing/dip, oven baked salmon with lime and dill... I've used pinterest to find recipes, and adapted them to contain only allowed ingredients. Also, I've found larabars to be super helpful. 

I'm excited so far, it has been less difficult than I anticipated, at the end of day six. 

I did have a really difficult time  falling asleep last night. I'm usually a sound sleeper, falling asleep within minutes of resting my head on the pillow, but not last night. What gives? 

End of day six and I am doing really well. I have eaten everything I had cooked so tomorrow looks like a big day in the kitchen. On the autoimmune diet there are so many little things that aren't allowed, so even if I make a W30 dinner for my household I have to make a separate dinner for me. This is the first day I haven't taken a nap (I sleep when my two little ones nap) and I am hoping the combination of no nap and no caffeine will make for a sound nights sleep.

M1 was so funny I took a picture of it. Two turkey patties, 1/2 grapefruit, sauerkraut, broccoli, avocado and bone broth.

During my WOD I could tell that some sweet potato would have been helpful, so I'll be sure to add that tomorrow.

It has been helpful to read all of your posts and know I'm not alone. Keep up the great attitude everyone!

Archived