Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Still not sleeping that great, but interesting to see others are in the same boat at least. I downloaded Well Fed finally last night! You all inspired me with your talk of recipes and I think a cook up is on the weekend plan :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't care for Well Fed's chocolate chili.  It's fine, I just don't love it and doubt I'll make it again.  I'm not a huge fan of mole either, so I guess that makes sense.

My husband and I don't like it either.  The one time I made it I found eating it with broccoli and sweet potato or carrot & parsnip puree made it more tolerable.  I do the beef chili recipe from SmittenKitchen (minus the beans), which has carrots and green pepper in it too... I've been making that recipe for over three years now, so I guess it's just what we're used to.  

We've both been sleeping fine, just waking up at about 5:00 the last few mornings (which is only an hour earlier than normal).  I think my husband had a bit of the carb flu on Day 3, but honestly I'm surprised that he didn't suffer a bit more as he usually eats at least 10 slices of bread a day.  No problems for me, but I'd already reduced my wheat intake to quite low levels months ago, so it wasn't as much of an adjustment for me.

I made turkey, sweet potato and apple dish from WellFed2 for breakfast this morning, with fried egg on top and sauteed spinach on the side and really enjoyed that.  And happily not too much prep either.  I'm just finishing off my green tea now, I had great intentions to go for a run this morning but I hadn't quite realised how dark it is at 7am and my legs are still a bit sore from Sunday's run.  Tuesdays are my long day in school, so leftovers for tea tonight. 

Well, morning on day 7. I saw lots of friends at the store last night curious about the Whole 30 and asking how its going- they're all checking in with me which is so cool!

Today will be a bit of a cook up, I plan on making some sausage, prepping some veggies and trying to make sure I am using all those yummy things I've been buying! Dinner tonight will be a big pork roast, rutabaga/carrot mash, and broccoli. This morning I will probably have some chicken and veg left over from last night, don't know about lunch but it will happen. I miss having my glass of wine while cooking dinner, but thats a habit, not a necessity. The food prep isn't a big deal for me at all, I was a chef before kids and hubby is too! I'm keeping it as simple as possible though, to make it easy to stay compliant.

All three kiddos were up before 5am today, I see a nap in my future.

Happy Day 7, friends!  My biggest joy today is that we have plenty of leftovers from the last several days to carry us through dinner!  So no cooking for me!  Yay!  I also have about 2 hours to get a couple of errands done AND a long workout in after work today.  AND I am sleeping like a champ at night and starting my days with way more energy than I typically have.....the magic is starting to happen.  Can't wait to get into my skinnier jeans in a week or two! Only seven more weeks to go! (I'm doing a Whole 60 this time around.)

Good morning, Day 7ers!

Just finished breakfast - hamburger patty (my last of the ones I made... sad...), topped with 2 fried eggs and a side of sweet potato and greens cooked in ghee. Definitely determined that sweet potato for breakfast keeps me going. Fortunately that's an easy one. :)

Lunch is packed - spinach, peppers, avocado, sliced beef, almonds and coconut chips tossed with a strawberry balsamic mash that I made up.

It's freakin cold out, and I must say I never had so much trouble keeping warm when I was heavier. lol I guess fat really does insulate? I'm cold all the time! I seriously didn't want to get out of bed this morning, and caught myself laying there thinking about stopping to get a bagel on my way to work. Yikes! stopped that right quick once I realized it.

Off to work, then it's core day! Whee!!! May run a couple miles before that, too...

coconut flour is very absorbent, so definitely use less next time, and add grated veggies for extra moisture. (:

I'm going to use none next time and just add more veggies....still not sure how to fix this sucker though.  Thinking of maybe shephard's pie.

Ok guys...I need some help with new breakfast ideas, as I was literally gagging on my egg scramble this morning.  I had two scrambled eggs with sun dried tomatoes and baby spinach, along with a side of mashed sweet potatoes and some snap peas.  Integrating veggies into my breakfast has been difficult, so I'm open to suggestions here.

Not too tired yesterday, but woke up today feeling off-centered. Second cup of coffee has helped and now it is on to lots of water.

Have an appt right after work tonight and won't get home until 7:30pm...so I packed an apple, coconut flakes and almonds to tide me over. Feel guilty having a snack, but will be famished otherwise.

Ok guys...I need some help with new breakfast ideas, as I was literally gagging on my egg scramble this morning.  I had two scrambled eggs with sun dried tomatoes and baby spinach, along with a side of mashed sweet potatoes and some snap peas.  Integrating veggies into my breakfast has been difficult, so I'm open to suggestions here.

I've been doing soup for breakfast recently. Just as a component of the meal, I'm not just eating soup.

Otherwise, leftovers. But, I'm lucky and will happily eat leftover chili and curry for breakfast.

Uh-oh. I opened the raisins. The dragon is awake! Am trying to combat with a decaff coffee and sparkling water.

ETA: actually that was hunger. Solved the problem with a HB egg, half an avocado, cucumber, tomatoes and olives. Dragon fast asleep again. Obviously didn't have enough for lunch (chicken salad).

My breakfast this morning was baked salmon (olive oil, lemon juice, salt pepper, parsley at 425 for 15 minutes while I tamed my hair and brightened my face) and some sautéed mushrooms and spinach (in coconut oil) and a fried egg. I could have skipped the egg. The salmon was wonderful! (my first ever -27 years a vegetarian before this and a pretty limited diet before that).

Wow, missed reading yesterday and have 3 pages to catch up on!  Here's my day 6 food:

m1: hash with sausage, 1/2 diced apple, 1/2 diced zucchini, butternut squash, cooked in coconut oil.

m2: veggie stir fry with zuc, orange and green pepper, spinach, onion, olives, artichoke hearts, shrimp--seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon juice; was still hungry so ate a small bowl of golden cauliflower soup.

m3: pan fried round steak and green beans.  (meal was a quickie as I was only home 20 minutes before heading out to auditions for a play I am co-directing.

Not surprisingly, I was hungry a couple hours later and ate my emergency Larabar.

Sleep continues to be awesome!  Although I did have a small headache last night.

You know what I'm missing most?  And it's not even really 'bad', just not compliant.  My mid-morning coffee treat.  I use coffee, 1/2 cup Silk Almond milk (which, based on my searching, I actually might be able to have in my coffee because it doesn't have carageenan--I don't really like coconut milk in there), 1 tbsp cocoa powder and 5-7 drops vanilla stevia.  Whip up the cold ingredients in my bullet, warm them in the micro and add to coffee.  This is pretty much a 10:30 staple when I'm at the table teaching my girls.  I haven't missed it the first 5 days so much, but we started school again yesterday and I was really wanting my coffee!

So far today, I've had leftovers of yesterdays veggie/shrimp stir fry I had for lunch. I added 1/4 of an avocado to help make it last longer. I'm out of squash and sweet potatoes and it's obvious that not having that starchy veggie for lunch is going to make it tough to get to lunch.  Might have to eat earlier today.

Trucking along over here. I am getting into the swing of things. I had to lay off the red meat, I was so sick of it. I made baked chicken, sweet potato, and asparagus for dinner last night. Also, I bought a container of raw sauerkraut yesterday and I could literally sit down and eat it plain I like it so much, so I've been adding that to my meals when they seem boring. I also found compliant green olives and kalmata olives, which is a nice way to add a little fat. 

Day 6.  Yesterday was a little disorganized but I did not stray.  Getting stumped day 2 of school lunches so trying to re-focus today.  My daughter LOVED the beef stew soup.

As for me, two eggs fried in ghee, roasted sweet potatoes out of the freezer, and a cup of chicken broth were M1.  Goals today are to exercise, as I missed it yesterday, and to get a coherent plan for school lunches.  I need to cook up a bunch more paleo muffins as those are working well for the kids.  And a bunch of meatballs.

M2 will finish up my Greek salad, plus some crock pot chicken for protein.  An apple a day.  And M3 will probably be paleo pad thai.

Ugh, cravings are strong today. I have been kind of down today even though things are going well with the kids. Finally got some teething gel that actually works on my little guy's gums and he is nursing to sleep right now. Thank goodness. Homeschooling went well, and I was able to manage the kids without getting really frustrated. Did get in a fight (sort of) with hubby, over a recurring issue. I just have to keep telling myself it's all in my head, and remind myself why I am doing this.

Day 7 is going well!  I was really tired this morning, but no headache or vertigo.  I ran out of time to make eggs this morning, so just had the banana, coconut, cashew bowl and I was fine until lunch.  I did put a spoonful of coconut oil in my coffee too.  I was a little skeptical about that, but it didn't really affect the taste or anything, except taste a little coconuty.  I've always drank my coffee black, so no big deal.

Lunch was leftover roasted carrots and sweet potatoes and the last of the cinnamon beef stew and a cutie.  Tonight will be chicken stir fry.  I'll be trying the cauliflower rice even though I don't have a food processor.  I do have a 1 1/2 cup chopper, so I will try that with a few pieces in at a time.  

I've got that invincible tiger blood feeling today; I believe I could solve any problem thrown my way.

And my friend loaned me her crockpot so I will research meals I can make it. That chili recipe seems to keep popping up on this forum from Clothes Make The Girl. I will head to the grocery store tomorrow after checking out the recipe.

I am about to make a pot of chicken soup with cilantro and root vegetables. It's actually chilly here in South Florida.

Have an appt right after work tonight and won't get home until 7:30pm...so I packed an apple, coconut flakes and almonds to tide me over. Feel guilty having a snack, but will be famished otherwise.

Don't feel guilty about needing a snack, but try to make it a mini meal and try to avoid eating fruit as a snack. For the next time this happens try packing some extra of your M2 and eating the leftovers before you leave work or pre-make your M3 and split it in half. 3 meals is the ideal but life happens. 

I'm going to use none next time and just add more veggies....still not sure how to fix this sucker though.  Thinking of maybe shephard's pie.

Crumble it up and think of it as cooked ground beef instead.  Use it as your main protein source, or as an add to eggs, hash, whatever.  Find a sauce you like and mix it in?

Integrating veggies into my breakfast has been difficult, so I'm open to suggestions here.

I feel you! I tend to chop up a bunch of veggies, making sure I get plenty of sweet ones in there - sweet potato, parsnips, red peppers, red onion plus mushrooms and courgette (zucchini). Roast in the oven for 40 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, turning once. Tastes sweet enough not to really feel like veggies and you can eat alongside any protein and fat you fancy. I tend to make a frittata.

Not bad today. Mixed it up a little with my food...

M1: scrambled eggs, roasted vegetables and flash fried prosciutto, which went all crispy :)

M2: wild mushroom and chestnut soup, prosciutto, kalamata olives and hazelnuts

Pre work out: half a mackerel fillet

Post work out: small mackerel fillet and roasted veggies

M3: leftover Hungarian beef goulash with sweet potato and kale, drizzled with olive oil

Starting to run out of protein options, so a cook up is needed tomorrow. I went to military fitness class tonight, hence the extra meals. First session back after the festive break. We were beasted, and the extra meals much needed!

Today I noticed something very weird. Im tired, which is expected, like seriously exhausted. Was at work today and relatively busy so I didn't notice that very much. Im slightly irritable at this stage, to be expected. The one thing that is totally new and out of left field is this strange emotional cloud that's come over me. Im usually very good at being rational and very level headed about things but one teeny mistake on Friday had me full of self doubt and just ... irrational. Maybe its to do with brain fog. Ive had that before when I did the specific carb diet a few years ago. Id find my tea cups, full of a fresh brew, in a cupboard... not remembering I put it there?! I found my passport in the freaking bin! Couldn't remember my kids names. This time around its emotional. Never experienced that. Anyone else have any similar goings on, or is this way out there?

Otherwise, Im doing pretty good. Learning a lot about myself and my 'relationship' with food. I think I need to get past this irritable, frustrated, brainfog  phase for me to make any real sense of it. I do have a lot of issues with blood sugar levels and relying on sugar to keep me going, even if it is fruit... which sounds amazing to me right now. I could murder a juicy pink lady apple! Im happy with how Im working thru this, tho.  I crave sweet foods after a big meal. I over indulge when Im having something I really enjoy, and this is a regular occurance. I don't always eat for health and nourishment, I eat for enjoyment.

Onwards and upwards... roll on day 8!

Today I noticed something very weird. Im tired, which is expected, like seriously exhausted. Was at work today and relatively busy so I didn't notice that very much. Im slightly irritable at this stage, to be expected. The one thing that is totally new and out of left field is this strange emotional cloud that's come over me. Im usually very good at being rational and very level headed about things but one teeny mistake on Friday had me full of self doubt and just ... irrational. Maybe its to do with brain fog. Ive had that before when I did the specific carb diet a few years ago. Id find my tea cups, full of a fresh brew, in a cupboard... not remembering I put it there?! I found my passport in the freaking bin! Couldn't remember my kids names. This time around its emotional. Never experienced that. Anyone else have any similar goings on, or is this way out there?

Otherwise, Im doing pretty good. Learning a lot about myself and my 'relationship' with food. I think I need to get past this irritable, frustrated, brainfog  phase for me to make any real sense of it. I do have a lot of issues with blood sugar levels and relying on sugar to keep me going, even if it is fruit... which sounds amazing to me right now. I could murder a juicy pink lady apple! Im happy with how Im working thru this, tho.  I crave sweet foods after a big meal. I over indulge when Im having something I really enjoy, and this is a regular occurance. I don't always eat for health and nourishment, I eat for enjoyment.

Onwards and upwards... roll on day 8!

I love Pink lady apples!  I had one with my lunch!  So yummy!

Archived