Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Hi all, just checking in and saying hi!  Day 9, and I'm feeling fine!  I don't feel any better than usual, but I don't feel any worse.  I do feel a bit on the bloated side (sorry if that's TMI).  My husband found a Whole 30 timeline and it says that it's normal to actually gain weight and feel bloated around this time so hopefully that will go away b/c I want to lose weight, not gain it!

Also, I am not hungry at all.  I don't have much of an appetite.  Does anyone else feel a loss of appetite?  

I don't feel a loss of appetite, but I definitely have lost my urge to snack between meals & actually feel a little too full after each meal. Guess it's all the fat & protein. Time to cut back on the portions! They don't look that big to me, but I do feel kinda stuffed & I don't like that feeling. My eyes are bigger than my stomach :0D 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy pastured eggs and pork from a Farmer's Market -- usually $6 per pound for the pork, and anywhere from $4-6 for a dozen eggs.  I buy cage free from the commissary when we aren't able to get out to the Farmer's Market. 

We also are looking into a quarter-cow from Slanker's, which ships meat from the Houston area.  The meat is around $7 per pound when ordered in bulk like that.  Expensive, but I just take the hit in other areas (giving up my daily Starbucks habit was one).  I don't eat out for lunch and I concentrate on buying cheaper cuts of meat and buying other stuff on sale (canned tomatoes, coconut milk, etc).

I think if you can't fit it into your budget, just do what you can.  The goal here is better health, not perfection -- if all you can afford is conventional eggs and lean cuts of conventionally raised meat, go on with your bad self.  You're still doing better than 90% of the population.  :)

I'm beating myself up because I know I'm NOT eating enough veggies at each meal. I need to get better at this. I don't want to get to the end of the 30 days and feel like I didn't give this my all. Goal for upcoming week: Eat the Veggies!!!

I made a homemade banana ice cream (frozen bananas and coconut milk) for my kids (and myself of course) right after dinner last night. It was excellent. Not getting in the habit of having something sweet every night, so this was a nice treat.

I have a 3-day weekend ahead of me. I'm going to sit down tonight with Well Fed, Well Fed 2, my Nom-Nom app and find a ton of stuff to cook this weekend.  Normally I'd enjoy a glass of wine, but I'll treat myself to a cup of tea.

Also feeling the bloat on Day 9!

I'm beating myself up because I know I'm NOT eating enough veggies at each meal. I need to get better at this. I don't want to get to the end of the 30 days and feel like I didn't give this my all. Goal for upcoming week: Eat the Veggies!!!

I made a homemade banana ice cream (frozen bananas and coconut milk) for my kids (and myself of course) right after dinner last night. It was excellent. Not getting in the habit of having something sweet every night, so this was a nice treat.

I have a 3-day weekend ahead of me. I'm going to sit down tonight with Well Fed, Well Fed 2, my Nom-Nom app and find a ton of stuff to cook this weekend.  Normally I'd enjoy a glass of wine, but I'll treat myself to a cup of tea.

Also feeling the bloat on Day 9!

Don't beat yourself up over any misstep on the Whole30...just make note of it and look to improve it. Yes eat the veggies! But you are not a bad person for not eating enough veggies.

That banana ice cream falls under the no paleoified treats rule of a Whole30. I know this rule feels arbitrary to a lot of people but we are trying to change our relationship with food. So we are breaking up with all ice cream for 30 days to prove that we don't need it in our lives whether it is paleo or not. After Whole30 if you want ice cream occasionally that is fine, but right now it is off the menu. And to come back to my first point I'm not trying to beat you up on this...just redirecting you back towards the rules so you can improve your experience.

The biggest thing I learnt was not deciding what I was or wasn't going to eat based on the number on the bathroom scale -- and that has stayed with me, and I wouldn't have learnt that lesson without a 30-day abstinence from the bathroom scale. Since my first W30 (June 2013) I have weighed myself on and off, but the scales are no longer in the bathroom for me to jump on and off every time I go in there, but in a cupboard and I have to get them out to actively decide I want to weigh.

One last thing about the scale....I did my first Whole 30 a year ago.  I was the type that weighed religiously every morning prior to that.  I weighed once at about the 1 week point, realized immediately I shouldn't have done it, and put the scale out of sight for the rest of the month.  I think I'd lost maybe a pound and I was afraid it might jeopardize my commitment.  Post-Whole 30, I think I weighed myself only twice THE ENTIRE YEAR.  Honestly.  So when I got on the scale on 1/1/14, I had no idea what it might say.  As it turned out, I was surprised my weight wasn't higher but I've focused more on how my clothes fit and how I feel than anything.  Getting away from the scale habit is a really big deal. I've been a whole lot happier and balanced without it. 

The number on the scale is just data.  Society puts too much emphasis on it I believe.

I've seen several posts about the cost and affordability of good quality food, i.e., organic, pastured eggs, meat, etc.  I'm not sure if it's been posted here before, but there is an excellent post from Whole 9 about that issue. 

http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

For years I've always brought it back to one question 'How much did that bag of candy (insert whatever your junk food was) cost, and how does that price per pound compare with other great food?'  Remember things like how many meals you get out of that $5+ carton of eggs, and that it's a lot of good protein and relatively cheap if you look at it in this way.  This guide has lots of other ways to save money. 

Ah, the scales. All I'll add to this topic is that the two years during which I felt happiest with my body and myself were the two years I didn't step on one. I've been regretting the day I got back on ever since I made that mistake.

No bloating for me today thankfully, but had that in the first few days.

Today consisted of:

M1: scrambled eggs, roasted vegetables and flash-fried prosciutto in coconut oil

M2: tuna fishcakes (from Nom Nom Paleo app) and kale salad with apple, carrot, spring onion and avocado in olive oil

Pre workout: prosciutto slices

Post workout: tuna fishcake

M3: grilled pork chop, broccoli, carrot and sweet potato

We are luckily enough to have been given a freezer full of pork fresh from a friend's dad's farm. The difference is amazing. Overdid it a bit on the sweet potato at dinner - finished my boyfriend's, too! I was hungry after my workout. But, hey, it's better than over-indulging on chips! I've been daydreaming about port and red wine a bit, but it's fleeting.

Overall, day 9 was good and I'm feeling clear-headed and more energetic.

Well, the GI stuff is catching up with me. First I was really loose, now I'm all backed up. Sorry if that's tmi. Other than that I'm doing well. My face looks thinner and I'm not as tired. That's about all the positive stuff I can say right now. Baby boy must be sick, his two bottom teeth finally popped out so I think he's done with the teething for awhile. Trying to deal with his fussiness. That's life I guess.

Really wanted some gum after my fish stew at lunch today but instead I brushed my teeth.

That banana ice cream falls under the no paleoified treats rule of a Whole30. I know this rule feels arbitrary to a lot of people but we are trying to change our relationship with food. So we are breaking up with all ice cream for 30 days to prove that we don't need it in our lives whether it is paleo or not. Oops!

Oops! I didn't realize I made a goof. At the very least, I treated my kids to a healthy snack.  No more banana ice cream for me!

Hey... Well into day 6 and feeling good.  I woke up a few too many times as well last night but I was planning on getting up early to start (re-start) Focus T25 - a 25 minute-a-day high intensity cardio program from BeachBody (same instructor as Insanity).  I am doing the T25 program for the next 10 weeks.

I ate well yesterday and again on plan today (back at work).  I am in a bit of an avocado phase and really enjoying them right now.  Just finished my salad with a whole avocodo on top!

Cheers

DJ

I'm doing T25 alongside too. Really enjoying it.

Happy Day 9 Everyone!

So far my biggest issue is waking up in the mornings. It is very hard to get myself out of bed but once I do it I feel great. I've been keeping it pretty simple with the food but I've got some serious plans for food creativity in the weeks to follow. This program has brought me back to my love of cooking (however, I'm not loving the extra dishes I make every day).

Hope everyone else is having a good time with their Whole30! I write down every meal that I ate during the day so that when this is all over I can look back and see what worked best for me and what are some new recipe favorites! The program keeps me consistent which helps me keep other areas of my life consistent like my yoga practice and my writing. Such a great way to start a new year, I'm so glad I am doing this.

Day 9. Meals are compliant. Feel pretty good. Did 3.5 miles on the treadmill. Sleeping pretty good. Pants feel a smidge better, maybe not quite as tight around my muffin top. This is much easier than my first whole30. Hope you are all well!

WTG Darkside!!! T25 is great!

I have been busy this week but still 100% on plan, kickin butt and taking names!

Tomorrow should be interesting.  We have part of our out of town team coming into work and I am helping to arange the meeting being on our home turf so I had to order food.  I am ordering Thai / Cambodian food for everyone from a local resturant but I am bringing in my own food for me.  Now that is dedication!

Cheers

DJ

I made my own using roasted sunflower seeds.  Later I read a recipe that said you should use raw and toast them on the stove because the preroasted ones are too dry.  I'm trying out a  Vitamix that I bought myself for Christmas, deciding if I want to keep it.

I made my own using roasted sunflower seeds.  Later I read a recipe that said you should use raw and toast them on the stove because the preroasted ones are too dry.  I'm trying out a  Vitamix that I bought myself for Christmas, deciding if I want to keep it.

I LOVE my Vita Mix!! I have made soup & of course lots of shakes. Think we'll probably use it more making sauces for W30.  They last forever, too.  My aunt had one (of course it was made back when everything was made to last  :) )

And also -- weighing -- no no no no. It was the HARDEST thing for me on my first W30 but really really important in the process of me learning to start to trust the feedback my body was giving me. I really thought I hadn't lost any weight during my first W30 and was GRUMPY about it but stuck to the rules. Others were writing about how their clothes were falling off them and they felt tiger blood and great and blah blah blah and I felt none of those things. In retrospect, though, what I got out of it was a much healthier relationship with food ... I ate when I was hungry and I ate food I liked, and I TRIED not to worry about what it was doing to the scale (those avocados! that mayonnaise!) even though I thought I was probably gaining weight I kept telling myself it was at least healthier. In the end I lost 8 lbs -- over 30 days which is LOADS (though I do carry probably 20 lbs more than I should so it's not THAT difficult to lose - I think weight loss depends on how much extra you have to start with).

The biggest thing I learnt was not deciding what I was or wasn't going to eat based on the number on the bathroom scale -- and that has stayed with me, and I wouldn't have learnt that lesson without a 30-day abstinence from the bathroom scale. Since my first W30 (June 2013) I have weighed myself on and off, but the scales are no longer in the bathroom for me to jump on and off every time I go in there, but in a cupboard and I have to get them out to actively decide I want to weigh.

Thank you for this.  The scale is the addiction I haven't broken, even during 2 W30s.  It's bad.  I feel bad every time I step on. Time to put them in the closet.  

As for me, I'm going through a bad patch.  I have a training this weekend, with movement and lecture, with a lot of eating out, which I can handle.  I just won't be able to choose when I eat.  I may have to go for smaller, more often meals so I don't get too hungry.  Feeling really overwhelmed and sad, but then again, I am still grieving, so that is normal ( even though someone's death is a blessing, it doesn't mean you miss them any less.).  The difficulty is the bloating and huge feeling.  I feel huge! Just tonight.  I was driving home from training and just noticing how huge my usually not huge stomach was.  It was also performing a symphony all night.  I can't have that all day.  Ugh. TMI -Yes, I have gone to the bathroom, more than once today.  Stomach upset is just not good in a quiet room.  

Just before I walked in to a room with people I hadn't seen in 6 months I pipped an Altoid in my mouth.  I didn't even register it being wrong until now, reading 2babies2kidsmom brushed her teeth after fish stew.  Ugh.  Must bring toothbrush tomorrow. Add another week to my W30.  That's okay.  I was planning on making it a W60+

Whole 60 - let's plan on it now!

Day 9.  I'm doing fine foodwise.  And so are my kids!  I am just amazed - yesterday I roasted two chickens per nomnompaleo and roasted root vegetables in the same dish.  I fed the kids roasted chicken with gravy thickened by arrowroot powder and cubed roasted root veggies.  The kids ate every speck of their food with no complaining whatsoever.  No "what is this?"

It's been a crazy week at work so exercise has suffered.  I will get back on it this afternoon and over the weekend.  I'm giving myself as much grace as I can muster for not meeting my 5 day a week cardio goal this past week.  Everything else has been good.  With the level of stress I have had these past few days, I normally would soothe myself with a very large glass of wine.  That has been, at best, a fleeting thought and certainly nothing I have felt tempted by.  I'm very thankful for that.

I'm also thankful that I'm wearing a pair of jeans today that I would not have been able to button 10 days ago!  Very happy about that!  Happy Friday everyone!

Gotta love when the kids like it! :)

I'm doing pretty well food-wise too. Last night I had chicken thighs to cook, so I tossed some ghee and garlic in my dutch oven, and browned the chicken on both sides. Set them aside and put in a chopped onion and a bunch of mushrooms. Cooked for a few and added chicken stock and a can of tomato paste, let that boil down and and added back the chicken with some salt and pepper. Simmered for an hour or so. PERFECT! I love that a relatively inexpensive choice for chicken can be so delicious! 

This morning's breakfast didn't really interest me, but I ate anyway. Bleh. No appetite. I wish I were hungry! (I know, two days ago I wanted to NOT be hungry). 

I don't have any real driving cravings, but am having the "it's only the 10th?!?!" thoughts... 

I woke up this morning craving oatmeal with brown sugar and / or biscuits w/ honey.  That is not unusual - my sugar cravings are highest when I wake up - especially when I wake up from a nap..I'm seriously dangerous and feel I could knock over a vending machine if required.

The only thing this affected is that I ended up eating breakfast later than ideal (more then 1 hour after waking), but I was hungry and willing to eat my cabbage, sweet potato and chicken sausage (aidells - a somewhat economical quick protein choice).

During my first w30 the sugar dragon just sat next to me snorting hot breath down my neck for the first two weeks.  This time I think he just pops in suddenly and un-announced shouting... MISS ME?!?!

I also think I woke it up with the lara bar debaucle.  I can say that Lara bars (like macadamia nuts) are food with no brakes, because I don't even LOVE them... they are just pretty good... but if it's THERE I will eat it.  Which is how I approach most food, unfortunately.

I remember last time agreeing that Day 10 and Day 11 were dangerous 'throw in the towel' days... so everyone be on the watch!  I don't feel at all like quitting, but I DO agree with Sarah T that the fact that January has 21 more days is oh, so irritating....

Having a pretty good day today -- had a great day at work, which makes a change and everything else falls into place around it. Yesterday I was in a vile temper, and WANTED ALCOHOL. Sparkling water with wine didn't cut it, but I rode it out and was just grumpy til I went to bed. Today is a totally different story (which my family will be happy about!). Looking forward to my sparkling water tonight. :)

Running out of options in the fridge now ... have enough for dinner tonight and breakfast tomorrow and then I HAVE TO COOK so I hope the force is with me. I'm also attempting a new recipe from Well Fed for dinner tomorrow so I hope that doesn't disappoint. (Beef stew of some sort -- can't remember it's name).

Those talking about a W60 ... I'm certainly up for a whole lot more. :)

Hang in there everyone.

I am glad there are people thinking of going for a W60 on this board, I am thinking of the same.  I like the way I feel.  I'm grateful for it.  I'm starting to have more energy in the morning and it's helping me keep my temper in check - not having to rush a 3 year old around will do that!  Everything just feels a lot easier.

I've also been in beast mode at the gym lately - yesterday I even squatted a personal record.  Also, I cannot wait to get there today.  I always look forward to the gym since it's a break from stress at work and a chance to listen to music, etc. but this is different.  I'm almost antsy to get there.

I had a dream that I was eating plate after plate of french fries...

We're going away this weekend and already had a discussion with our host about our food restrictions.  However, instead of describing as what we can't have, I suggested meals based on what we could, and my friend didn't even react!  She said, oh that sounds delicious, yes, let's have steak and brussels in bacon.  Yeah!!

My challenge to myself will be to see if I can get out and run by the beach on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  I hate running outside because I am terrible at pacing myself, but it's going to be around 60 degrees and the scenery is nice, so perhaps that will motivate me.

Yesterday I was in a vile temper, and WANTED ALCOHOL. Sparkling water with wine didn't cut it, but I rode it out and was just grumpy til I went to bed. 

Hang in there everyone.

Your Freudian Slip .. "Sparkling water with wine"....made me laugh out loud... :)

Yesterday I was in a vile temper, and WANTED ALCOHOL. Sparkling water with wine didn't cut it, but I rode it out and was just grumpy til I went to bed.

Semolina, your freudian slip here made me laugh.  I assume you meant "lime".  But I know what you mean, I have had a couple of evenings where I was really longing for some cabernet!

Archived