Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

I am going to join all of you for this W30 and I can hardly wait to get started!

I did a W34 Sept-Oct 2012, with no cheats and no weigh-ins and I felt unbelievably AMAZING!!! And I lost 14 lbs.

I did a second W34 Oct-Nov 2013, again with no cheats and no weigh-ins. However, I did not feel as well the second time, and I gained 1 lb.

I believe I have pinpointed the differences in the 2 experiences:

*The first time I ate 3 meals daily. The second time I ate 4-5 smaller meals.

*The first time I ate more healthy fats.

*The second time I ate more fruit.

I am ready to give this another chance, and I am going back to my first strategy! I want to feel AMAZING again!!  :o)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read today that Selena Gomez has Lupus and my first thought was "I wonder if she has done a Whole30"!  I feel so much better while I am in this Paleo world.  I completed one Whole30 in September and remained 90% Paleo after that, though not Whole30 compliant, as I did try Paleoicizing various items to get my kids on board.  But Christmas has snuck in and all of us in my family are eating foods we don't even like!

My kids and I will start on the 1st with you.

The hard part is not me, it is keeping my kids Paleo, too.  They both have severe forms of ADHD.  After half-heartedly trying "gluten-free" over the past few months, and then slacking off over Christmas, my husband and I have come to the conclusion that their behavior really IS a lot better on a Paleo diet, especially Whole30 compliant.  So my challenge will be not only for me to complete a Whole30, but to do so with my kindergarteners, too.

Tracy, I have a relative who showed very real signs of ADHD when she was about 6 years old. Her mother is very allergic to gluten and is used to watching for signs of food allergies/reactions. After observing this little girl after eating, the mom very wisely figured out that she was having reactions to RED 40 food color. As long as she is 100% free of red 40, she has NO symptoms at all! In fact, she is a very artistic 11 year old...paints, draws, plays violin, loves ballet and photography. WHAT a contrast to the angry little girl that she used to be after eating certain foods.

I hope this helps you pinpoint some food triggers that may help your children!

Lexes,

THANK YOU for your little *sermon*.  As I said in my earlier post, the second time I did a W34, I GAINED 1...one...pound, and I was soooo annoyed that I just gave up on the whole concept of W30. How dumb was that???? No need to answer!  :lol:

Now, my mind is in the right place and I am looking forward to FEELING better! I have many health problems, mostly heart related, and past W30 experiences assure me that I will feel better on Jan 31 than I feel right now.

Again, thanks for the gentle reminders.

HI all my name is Julia and i would also like to start on Jan 1st. This is my 1st time however my sister has tried it and constantly raves about the benefits and recommend it to me. i have and am struggling with a lot of hormonal issues and currently on hormonal cream and supplements/vitamins, hoping that maybe doing Whole 30 would help me with my issues. Hoping for support and ideas from this forum. Im very active person and normally train (high intensity) 5-6 times a week so ideas for pre-work out and post workout meals are going to be difficult for me (ideas and timings).

wishing you and us all the best for Jan 1st xxx :P   

I'm all geared up for January 1st, and so glad to see so many others are, too!

This will be my third W30. The first was last January and I felt amazing. I stuck to the main principles afterwards and did another in April before a busy summer of weddings and holidays...

Unfortunately, I've not looked after myself so well the second half of this year and am ready to feel good again, with clear skin and a clear head. I've also been suffering from anxiety recently which I think may also be helped by the W30. I know it won't be easy but the rewards are so amazing, and after a particularly indulgent December, it already feels so good to start eating clean again.

The last time I did W30, I basically did it on my own. I read the posts in the forums but only posted a few times. *This* time I plan to post on a daily basis. I want to learn as much as I can from all of you so that I make this my "food plan for LIFE", not just something I go on and off of.

I'm starting today to "detox" from some of the horrible sugars and grains that I ate over the past few months. I feel *awful* and I am so looking forward to regaining my health!

Aah! This is my first Whole 30. Or even first attempt to stop eating terribly and actually mean it. I'm terrified and excited and everything in between. I'm trying my hardest not to binge on sugary stuff beforehand so the first couple days don't kill me, but so far, not so good. Ah, well. I can't wait to get this started!

Hi Sierra!

Actually the reverse is true, the more you binge on sugary stuff before Wednesday the worse you will feel Friday- till the following Wednesday. It's not unlike an alcohol hangover... You can't have a few grand days of donuts and ice cream in hope it will get you through the beginning like a 'carb load'.

Maybe start to drop the bread and sugar you don't really care about right away and start to think about how you will manage the cravings at the end of the week.

Also don't get into the mindset that you are giving up sugar FOREVER. If you want them you can have donuts and ice cream in the spring. Remind yourself there will ALWAYS BE BAGELS ( or pancakes or whatever your sugar dragon tells you you can't live without). Sometimes you have to calm yourself into thinking this is very short term so you don't rebel and go on a binge. The magic is that after you retrain your eating habits ( over time) the donuts and ice cream won't be as good as you remember and you will make better choices out of preference... Not discipline.

Good luck, Sierra--You'll be able to do it...and yes Lexes42 is absolutely right: just keep reminding yourself this is only 30 days. And you only need to do one day at a time...!

I look forward to hearing about your progress over the coming days!

Walker, I found the forums to be invaluable. When I got to the stage of 'Kill all the Things' in particular, I was glad to see I was not the only psychotic on the block! Seriously, though, seeing so many people experiencing similar effects (the good and the bad--sugar hangovers, etc), was a boost to keep going.

Jodea, I know exactly what you mean about the second half of the year. Talk about polluting my own body...and KNOWING what clean eating can do for me, too: from both a physical and mental standpoint. I have not been kind to myself. I'm looking forward to a long apology to myself for 2014.

Hi Everyone!

This will be my first W30.  A coworker mentioned it to me before Christmas and I told him he was crazy - How could I go without my weekend cocktail!!!???  Then I started thinking how pathetic that sounded.  I downloaded ISWF on my Kindle and started reading.  It helped me understand this is what I need to do.  Given the years of abuse I have done, I think  it may be a W60!! But I am in!  I have cleaned out the fridge and the pantry.  I have started my first crockpot of broth.   I look forward to this journey to health with all of you.  Thanks in advance for your support!

A timely reminder that if you want to signup for the Daily Emails for Whole30 (not mandatory and they do cost money) starting January 1st 2014, don't wait much longer.

Tip to those outside the USA, Aussies "start" the emails at least one day early, so we get them on time in our timezone :)

I'm planning to start January 1st. A little nervous because I have a 3.5 month old baby and I'm nursing her exclusively. We have a very busy life (3 kids, homeschooling, etc.) and I'm nervous about meal planning and making sure I have enough compliant foods around b/c I am HUNGRY a lot. But I still have 30 pounds of pregnancy weight to lose and I've been eating nothing but junk lately, lots of sugar thanks to the Holidays. I need a change. Don't see myself eating paleo forever, but I'm mentally prepared to do it for 30 days and hope it gets me started eating cleaner for the rest of my life. Trying to get my sister to do it, too.

Tracy, I have a relative who showed very real signs of ADHD when she was about 6 years old. Her mother is very allergic to gluten and is used to watching for signs of food allergies/reactions. After observing this little girl after eating, the mom very wisely figured out that she was having reactions to RED 40 food color. As long as she is 100% free of red 40, she has NO symptoms at all! In fact, she is a very artistic 11 year old...paints, draws, plays violin, loves ballet and photography. WHAT a contrast to the angry little girl that she used to be after eating certain foods.

I hope this helps you pinpoint some food triggers that may help your children!

Yes, I absolutely agree.  Our household has been dye-free for over a year now.  It is the one restriction we do not break, EVER, because it is my husband and I who suffer the consequences when someone slips dye into our children.  Unfortunately, they still have hyperactivity even off of food dyes, so we are searching for other ways to help our children.  But you can see my discussion in the "children and ADHD" forum.  I'll keep my discussions on this board mostly about myself.

Which is, I am SO READY to get back to being compliant.  I am absolutely ILL eating all this Christmas CRAP.  I need just a day or two to get organized and get all of this CRAP out of my house!  FOR GOOD THIS TIME.

Sorry for the strong language, but after this January Whole30, there will be no "reintroduction".  None of that stuff makes me feel anything but ill.  And I can't stand paleoicized foods, either.  I am totally ready to start.

Hi everyone,

I'm starting on January 1 as well!  This will be, I think, my third W30.  One of those was 6 weeks and I felt amazing.  What's amazing to me is that I allowed myself to get back into ALL my old habits.  I had a massive work project, and the more I got stressed out about that, the more I felt I had no ability to make good choices in my personal life (ridiculous, I know.)  But here we are... work project finished (or just started, depending on how you look at it) and I NEED MY ENERGY BACK! It was such a disservice to myself to *not* stick to clean/whole foods during this time of high stress.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading about how everyone is doing, and being able to share my own story with you all!!!

Thanks,

Jen

I plan to start the whole30 Jan 2nd.  I have done a paleo diet in the past for about 3 weeks and felt better but hungary.  I hope with planning ahead and being sure to get enough protein, carbs and fat I will get through the hungar hurdle and be able to reap the long term benefits of the whole 30 plan.  

There's a group starting a Whole 30 on January 2 but I'm planning to start on January 1.  I did a Whole 30 last January and it was a great experience.  Best sleep I've had, and once I got through the initial cravings, my energy level was extremely high. And mentally, I was as sharp as a tack.

Starting this past year off with very disciplined eating/drinking was so good for me that I want to start off 2014 the same way.  I can merge in with the January 2 group unless anyone is interested in starting 2014 with a CLEAN slate.

I'm starting with you on Jan 1st! I did my first whole30 in July, and had not allergy symptomps anymore! I also lost 6 kg (+ 5 more later this year), did not have mood swings and my skin was so beautiful and smooth... And then the Christmas chocolates and other treats were just too easy to taste! Oh no! I really need another whole30 to start over.

What I loved the most was that I was not hungry between the three meals! That was so amazing - I used to eat lots of snacks to keep my blood sugar levels even. No need to have snacks (unless you work out heavily)! Just follow the whole30 rules - all of them! It works! It works so well! :)

I will also start on January 1st. I did one last year for 24 days and was unable to finish because I had to have a right shoulder replacement. Since I could not cook for myself if fell back rather reluctantly into eating sandwiches and microwaved prepared meals from supermarket because it was the easies thing to me. I have seen myself get completely out of control this past year. I have been in the hospital three times, not counting my surgery, for asthma and one scary episode of swelling throughout my body. I have also now been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome and have to be on metformin, lasix and Lipitor. When I did the 24 days of W30 last year I couldn't have felt better. No huffing and puffing when I walked, no pain in my joints, no sugar cravings ( I could actually walk into a bakery and not walk out with loads of goodies). Yes it wasn't easy at first but the end results were worth it. Yes, I'm all for starting again.

I will be heading to the shop tomorrow and buying some of the shopping list to get me started. All I ask if for some help in getting recipes? 

Being a Type 1 diabetic and reading the It Starts With Food book; it has helped me understand insulin and how it affects the body.

I look forward to doing the Whole30 from 02 January 2014.

I will be heading to the shop tomorrow and buying some of the shopping list to get me started. All I ask if for some help in getting recipes? 

Countless options for Whole30-compliant recipes. I would start here:

- Tom Denham's website (Tom is one of the forum moderators here and edited It Starts with Food): http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/

- Melissa Joulwan's website (author of Well Fed and Well Fed 2): http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/recipes-index/

- Check out the Recipe Sharing section of the Whole9 forum:http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

Archived