Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Thank you for the suggestions about Nuun and electrolyte tablets.

I ran the .5 marathon at 2:09 last year but I do so, so hope to run faster this year. I think Whole30 has resulted in an energy boost lately and thankfully I'm inflammation (ie injury) free right now.

On another note, I need to write how much I've enjoyed this journey with all of you fellow-forum-followers. The month has whizzed by and I can't believe we are at the end almost. There were many times when I came here to read comments instead of standing in front of the refrigerator dumbfounded and tempting myself. It has been a great thing to do this with others and so much more enjoyable than when I did this alone. I look forward to this continued conversations with those that are extending.

EAH

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-just a note to let you know that the Nuun tablets contain sweeteners, so they are out during a whole30.

Elete makes some electrolyte drops and tablets that are sweetener free. http://whole30.com/2013/03/whole30-approved-elete-electrolytes/

Hrm. Sorry. The container I have doesn't indicate any sweeteners. Must have an abbreviated ingredients list. 

Day 27 - Still doing well. I made a batch of egg muffins yesterday, eggs, ham, onions and bell pepper. It overflowed the muffin cups and made a mess of the oven, but the muffins turned out okay.  I brought a couple for breakfast and quickly realized it wasn't enough food. So I supplemented with sardines this morning. I'll have to try again, maybe something a little more formidable like a quiche or something. Anyway, they tasted good.

Had leftover chocolate chili and spaghetti squash last night. Added some curry powder and it was great!

I was a little concerned with that TOM, but no problems at all! I hope it continues this way. Perhaps the sugar dragon will stay in hibernation!!

EAH - last year when I was HM training, I didn't eat during but did eat a good breakfast, usually banana pancakes (2 eggs, one medium banana, one tablespoon coconut flour, mashed together and fried in coconut oil). It worked well for me. At my race I took a Lara Bar bite and a small fruit leather, but I don't think I really needed them. I didn't have anything else but water.  Best wishes for your race!  I'm considering training for one in May.

Other ingredients: citric acid, sorbitol, sodium carbonate, natural colors flavors, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, polyethylene glycol, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, calcium carbonate, acesulfame potassium, riboflavin-5-phosphate.

Right. The bottle I have does not have sorbitol listed. I am aware of what "sweeteners" means.

Hello, I just read EAH's post and I am an avid runny myself too. I run 4 times a week and do my long runs of 8-10 miles on the weekends. I typically eat pasta the night before my long run and an egg sandwich in a bagel on my morning run, and since pasta and bagel aren't allowed, I am not sure how I can possibly get my energy. I realize sweet potatoes are carbs and are a source of energy as well but am not sure if the paleo diet will sustain me enough on my runs. Someone said about an athlete board, can someone please send me the link to it or direct me to it?  I'd greatly appreciate it! 

Right. The bottle I have does not have sorbitol listed. I am aware of what "sweeteners" means.

of course you do, I didn't mean to imply you did not, only to provide the ingredients FYI (I had to search a bit to find the "other ingredients" -- they work hard to hide those)

Hello, I just read EAH's post and I am an avid runny myself too. I run 4 times a week and do my long runs of 8-10 miles on the weekends. I typically eat pasta the night before my long run and an egg sandwich in a bagel on my morning run, and since pasta and bagel aren't allowed, I am not sure how I can possibly get my energy. I realize sweet potatoes are carbs and are a source of energy as well but am not sure if the paleo diet will sustain me enough on my runs. Someone said about an athlete board, can someone please send me the link to it or direct me to it?  I'd greatly appreciate it! 

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/11-whole30-for-athletes/

Tons of posts in there about fueling workouts.

Part of W30 is getting your body to use the fat it has already stored instead of carbs you provide for energy. I was training for a half marathon during my Whole30 if you want to look at my log for ideas. The first two weeks of training will feel like big fat bonks but it gets better. I also focus more on training in heart rate zones and have seen a tremendous improvement in my speed at a lower heart rate which is key to sustaining over a distance race.

wondering how everyone who started Jan 1st and 2nd is doing?  I am on day 24 and feeling quite victorious - but noticed last week old habits of cravings tried to resurface - which surprised me - I didn't give in - but realized there are some emotional stuff (old habits that must comfort??) that resurfaced  I commented about it to my husband but have been diligent with my plan. I jumped in and made large amounts of broccoli and squash and just pulling out for my meals and that helps just having it already ready!!  Anyone else noticed anything new?  Becky Kay

I remember looking at my bottle of nuun when I first started Whole 30. I was so sad when I saw the sorbitol. :(

Semolina, the foods I end up reading ingredients on are spices and meats, or vegetables, just to be sure. The spices are because the very first thing that happened to me on W30 was realizing that most of the spices in my spice cabinet had soy or some other noncompliant crud in there that was completely unnecessary. WHY DOES SOY NEED TO BE IN LEMON PEPPER? IT DOESN'T. Corn starch were in a lot of them too. I was so annoyed. So now whenever I buy spices, I read those labels.

Most ground meats I always read the ingredients too, because you never know if they threw some oats or soy in there, either. Or preservatives. Same with veggies; most of the time I get the fresh ones out of the produce section, and those are obviously fine, but I like to have some frozen ones in my freezer for emergency purposes (the spinach vortex, remember), and I like to just make sure they haven't added random soy or whatever to those. Also I started checking the labels on my oils ever since I noticed one of the bottles of coconut oil I was buying had soy lecithin in it. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE STOP PUTTING SOY IN STUFF THAT DOES NOT REMOTELY NEED SOY.

I am still really, really mad about the lemon pepper. WHO PUTS SOY AND CORN STARCH IN LEMON PEPPER? LEMON PEPPER NEEDS TWO INGREDIENTS. LEMON! AND! PEPPER!

Hey gang.. are any of you following PaleoCon this week? I just listened to the interview with Loren Cordain and he has some interesting thoughts on dairy and grains and gut health. (and for you runner types, Mark Sisson is going to talk about Paleo and endurance training later this week. Not sure what he'll have to say, as he can be somewhat anti-running, but it'll be interesting!) 

I like the science behind these things (plus now I really want to make Paleo Chicken Parm per the demo on the site - and any NYCers need to go to Hu Kitchen and give us a report on how it is! lol)

Hey all, just a quick pre-bedtime rant. I'm away with work and just had dinner with colleagues who all know I'm doing the Whole 30. But for some reason tonight they could not stop making comments about what I was and wasn't eating to the point it made me want to leave. The final straw was when my boss said, go on, just a bit of vanilla ice cream... Well, that was it! I flipped out and asked him if he was high! Why would I ruin it 27 days in for VANILLA ICE CREAM! I also pointed out that his interest in what I will and won't eat is more about him than me. Did I cross the line? Maybe a bit. Am I sorry. No! You eat what you want and I will have what I want. On a lighter note I very much enjoyed my sea bass, spinach and salsa verde.

The end. Goodnight!

Has anyone been reading the reintro forum threads? They sound really scary. I just want to be able to eat nuts, eggs, spices, peppers,tomatoes and honey again. To be able to make everything in my Against All Grain cookbook would be so exciting.

If the Seahawks win the Super Bowl I will celebrate with potato chips and cream cheese but that is as far off road as I want to go.

It has been great having this thread to commiserate with everyone. I'm wondering...is anyone else completely blown away that they have actually stuck to it, made it this far, and are going to make it the whole 30 days? I guess subconciously, I figured I'd give it a go, and when it got tough I would chuck it. But I didn't. And it did get tough. Very, very tough. I've had to deal with some stuff I never planned on when starting this, and I've done it all without emotional eating or drinking. Or even "convenience eating". Extremely powerful when I think how strong I CAN be.

I'm completely shocked by my ability to stay 100% compliant.  

On another note, I need to write how much I've enjoyed this journey with all of you fellow-forum-followers. The month has whizzed by and I can't believe we are at the end almost. There were many times when I came here to read comments instead of standing in front of the refrigerator dumbfounded and tempting myself. It has been a great thing to do this with others and so much more enjoyable than when I did this alone. I look forward to this continued conversations with those that are extending.

EAH

Likewise. This is my refuge, my place where I can be crazy or just moody, read up on what other people are experiencing and feel not so alone or weird. Heh.  

EAH - last year when I was HM training, I didn't eat during but did eat a good breakfast, usually banana pancakes (2 eggs, one medium banana, one tablespoon coconut flour, mashed together and fried in coconut oil). It worked well for me. At my race I took a Lara Bar bite and a small fruit leather, but I don't think I really needed them. I didn't have anything else but water.  Best wishes for your race!  I'm considering training for one in May.

Oh, those pancakes sound deliiiish. I'll give them a shot on Sunday. 

wondering how everyone who started Jan 1st and 2nd is doing?  I am on day 24 and feeling quite victorious - but noticed last week old habits of cravings tried to resurface - which surprised me - I didn't give in - but realized there are some emotional stuff (old habits that must comfort??) that resurfaced  I commented about it to my husband but have been diligent with my plan.  

Today my assistant teacher told me I was starting to look smaller. YAY! It may be that I chose to squeeze myself into pants that aren't absurdly baggy, but , still. Yay!

I had a bizarre feeling in the supermarket, I was really going in for coffee, but got distracted and ended up buying very expensive yucca for some yucca fries.   And then, I was ready to pounce on some ice cream, some gelato, ANYTHING that came in a package that didn't have crap in it I couldn't eat. Well, aside from Larabars, there wasn't anything, and well, novelty has worn off the larabars, so they are no longer considered "fun", just something I carry as backup. 

I was ready to buy bread, to taste cheese, to buy some non-paleo bacon. But then I didn't. And that felt very good. 

I am still really, really mad about the lemon pepper. WHO PUTS SOY AND CORN STARCH IN LEMON PEPPER? LEMON PEPPER NEEDS TWO INGREDIENTS. LEMON! AND! PEPPER!

I know! Also, any time a package of tea or spices includes something about "natural flavorings", I'm like... what??? is it soy??? tell me what sort of natural flavorings you are including that make you embarrassed to write them on the label!

I also pointed out that his interest in what I will and won't eat is more about him than me. Did I cross the line? Maybe a bit. Am I sorry. No! You eat what you want and I will have what I want. On a lighter note I very much enjoyed my sea bass, spinach and salsa verde.

You rocked. Plus, really, go off track for plain vanilla ice cream? So not worth it!     It IS more about them than you, yesterday I read something that resonates: Meanness perceives a threat. Although they might not have thought they were being "mean", they put you on the spot. So, maybe, are they threatened by your ability to say "no, thank you" to food they are incapable of refusing?

Loren Cordain and Joel Friel (triathlete/cyclist) have a book called Paleo Diet for Athletes.  I haven't read it.  :)  I'm thinking if Joel Friel can be paleo and compete in triathlon, then it's possible for normal humans to, too.  Of course, they may make modifications to paleo and I have no idea about what those might be. 

Jodea-  way to kick ass and take names!  That's totally obnoxious.  I work at a gym (YMCA), and I can't imagine anyone pushing crap on me.  I do have to talk to my son about not being a food pusher.  He gets offended if I don't try the things he wants me to try. 

Almost there!

Djoyce- I made baked goods for my husband as well as other non-compliant meals during my first Whole 30 and have about 3kg of Haribo in the cupboard right now. When I'm in the Whole 30 mindset, none of that bothers me, I'm not tempted to go off plan in the least.  I have no ability to do moderation, it's all or nothing for me.

Annabel - I know what you mean.  I don't know if you have followed the "Dear Melissa" blog series where Melissa answers questions for all to benefit from real, live Whole 30 followers.  The first ever blog post in the series included my question about "moderation" and being challenged with off-roading.  I also have no ability to do moderation either.  I loved Melissa's answer and her advice rings true for me. 

Cheers DJ

Best intentions - I was going to bump up my exercise this final week after not working as hard as I vowed I would.  Well, last night I tripped stepping over a baby gate and ended up sprawled face down at work, after slamming down hard on my kneecap.  I'm wearing a knee brace today and it seems to be improving, but so much for making up for three weeks of NOT working out to the level I planned.

We went out to an English pub today and I ordered the Shepherd's Pie.  It had cheese melted onto the potatoes.  I have been off of dairy since September, and just the smell of the cheese grossed me out.  And I used to be cheese girl.  I scraped off the cheese and mashed potatoes and ate the meat filling, which was good.

My kids DEMANDED chocolate chili for dinner and ate two large adult-sized servings each of it (my kids weigh 35 pounds each).  Between that and nomnom's crackling chicken, my kids are eating me out of house and home this whole 30.  They're still not great on the green vegetables but are doing great with the starchy veggies.  My son is craving rice.  He used to get rice with his chili, so he was really bummed the chocolate chili did not come with rice.

Countdown!  So, what?  Are we all posting results Friday?  Is Friday a break day, and then back to the plan on Saturday?  The only thing I currently miss is french fries and mashed potatoes, and some people consider white potatoes paleo anyway, so I won't be off-roading too much.  My daughter's birthday is Sunday so I have to figure out some decent paleo treats for her birthday party.

Hey all! Can't believe we are so close to the end of THIS W30. :)

Dinner tonight is a chicken, leek and mushroom pie ... pastry for DH, and sweet potato topper for me (which might not work at all but hey, you gotta try, right?). Was going to do the pie filling on top of riced cauli but thought I might miss out on the "pie" experience, so have gone for sweet potatoes. Hope they aren't too sweet with the other stuff.

I missed dinner last night ... I was working and didn't have time, and then by the time I had finished work I wasn't hungry. I had had a boiled egg, olives and cucumber at 4 ish and I guess that was enough for me. Very strange.

I've also just ordered Well Fed 2 and Nom nom paleo's book ... was doing planning for next week and decided that if I am going to do this for a LONG time it is worth spending the money on some extra inspiration (and I had some Christmas money left over from my mum so I finally decided what to spend it on!). Going out for dinner on Thursday and checked out the menu ... there's nothing on there that appeals but at least they mark which ones are gluten free so although there are some things on there you would have thought were OK apparently they have snuck some bread / flour into it, so I suppose at least that is helpful.

They've got gammon steak on there, which I will probably go for, and then just hope that it isn't sweetened. Hey ho. If it is, I will hardly have ruined my W30, especially as I am going to carry on!

Wow, it's been four weeks since I had any wine, chocolate, or cheese.  Pretty unbelievable.  But somehow, I feel like I expected to succeed this time.  Quitting wasn't even an option to consider.  I'm really proud of myself.  The best part is, the longer I go without these things, the easier it is, and the less I want them. 

I think I am going to go for another 30 days with the following exceptions - not fussing over minute traces of sugar (e.g., buying bacon from Whole Foods rather than ordering it special), and allowing myself "convenience foods" like store-bought roast beef and jambon.  I may also reintroduce brown rice and some legumes if I can tolerate them, just to save some money on meals (we really can't keep spending $200 per week on groceries).  Sorry, most grains (esp. you, wheat!), sugar, seed oils, dairy, and alcohol - you're still out!

I just can't see myself going back to my old diet since my energy is more predictable, I am doing better at the gym, and I have such a nice, easy relationship with food now (it's fuel, not a hobby!).

Thanks to everyone here for the support and advice.  It's been so helpful to read others' stories, and I hope this camaraderie continues into the next 30 days!

Edited to add that I may post my change in measurements but then go another 30 days without weighing/measuring.  I'm interested to see if I do lose weight/inches by keeping up the good habits.

Loren Cordain and Joel Friel (triathlete/cyclist) have a book called Paleo Diet for Athletes.  I haven't read it.  :)  I'm thinking if Joel Friel can be paleo and compete in triathlon, then it's possible for normal humans to, too.  Of course, they may make modifications to paleo and I have no idea about what those might be. 

I don't know much about Joel Friel, but Loren Cordain is VERY anti-modifications. I actually think he goes a bit too far. But it's definitely possible to be competitive in endurance sports on Paleo. You just have to get through the transition phase. 

Today Ben Greenfield has a session on "Raising Primal Kids". I can't wait to hear it. 

Happy Day 28! :) 

Today is my birthday, and everyone seems to want to hand me cake. lol. No, thanks! I do love the plant my coworker brought in for me, though! I just hope I can keep it alive! 

Last night's dinner was lovely - fish and veggies. I love fish and don't really eat enough of it because DH hates it. But he does a great job of cooking it! (He ate pasta...)

This morning I cooked up the bacon I got at the farmer's market - OH so good! I'm going to go back this weekend and buy more. Had it with eggs, sweet potato and avocado. 

AND I remembered my pre-wo meal today! Yay! It's just chicken and avocado, but it's not about "fun" food, it's about fuel. I'm boxing tonight, so the fuel will be good.

It's been hard for me here at the end - especially when grocery shopping. I am absurdly tempted to buy sweeties, eat them in my car, and pretend they never happened. Both my place and my boyfriend's place have a fair amount of non-compliant food, and I don't have a problem avoiding them at all, so I'm not sure what's up with the groceries.

I did eat two unnecessary larabars and an apple with walnut butter, but I think going "off track" with compliant food is so much better than the alternative that I don't really care, and that's kind of what I want in my future.

I'm definitely going to be more relaxed about eating out, and I'm not worried at all about honey and maple sweeteners, but in my own cooking I want to stay sugar free and flour free as much as possible. I don't want to be scared of the occassional soy bean though!

I am going to try an 85/15 split and see how that works. That gives me three meals a week to not stress about which would be nice just from a going out and boyfriend cooking standpoint (he doesn't like to cook from recipes, so I have been cooking for the last three weeks because I can't eat stirfry for 3 weeks in a row!) if I still see positive results with that, then that's something I can keep with I think.

Thank you for all the information and advice about Whole 30 and running competitively. (I am my own competition.) I also found some really interesting and compliant recipes for making my own sport drink that I am going to try with a mix of coconut water for the race on Sunday.

I am genuinely uninterested in some of the foods I used to eat. The smell of chocolate chip cookies freshly baked would be a turn-on but I feel pretty indifferent to bread and cheese and wine at the moment. I would be a fool to believe that I have slayed my sugar dragon but I am feeling so fine without gluten, dairy and alcohol. I don't dare say that pizza and red wine won't slip back into my world, but at the moment, it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

Last time I did this, I stayed semi-compliant for months after finishing because I was on a good food high. I love being on a good food high. As the Hartwick's say in the beginning of ISWF, food either makes you healthier or less healthy. I may or may not have lost weight but I most definitely feel healthy.

EAH

Archived