Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for your supportive words! Today was much better and, funnily enough, my colleagues backed off with the comments. It was worth standing up for myself!

Had a real treat this evening and walked to Picadilly Circus Wholefoods with two of my more open-minded colleagues and had gorgeous food from the Chef's Corner - sesame coated tuna and lots of scrummy veggies. I also stocked up on some fun snacks for post W30 like kale chips and almonds with raw chocolate. This kind of stuff is still pretty hard to find outside of London in the UK.

I got up, had half a tin of albacore tuna and hit the gym for a bootcamp circuit at 6:15 this morning at the hotel. Busy running round the conference all day, stuck in a basement. Urgh. Managed a quick walk at lunch.

Eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and bacon for breakfast plus a plum and some watermelon. Chicken salad with olive oil plus some melon and berries at lunch. Had a bit more fruit than usual today as they were kind enough to make me fresh fruit salads for my 'special diet'.

Feeling great. Loads of energy despite working a really long day. Can't believe how close we are!

The polar vortex shut down campus today, so I just hung around the house. Did a cook-up--steam sauteed a bunch of veggies, made some sausage, and finally made the best chicken ever recipe from clothesmakethegirl.com. I was completely prepared to be unimpressed with this, I mean chicken is chicken. I like it, but it's not very exciting. turns out the hype was well deserved. This stuff was great. I'm not going to say it's my favorite food ever, but it's definitely my new favorite way to make chicken.

I also added sauerkraut to my diet this week. I figure my gut flora could use a boost and my grocery store had some fancy jars of "live fermented probiotic" sauerkraut, so I decided to try it. I'm pretty sure I like it, but the fancy stuff also turned out to be a little too spicy. Something they infused with the cabbage is hot (ingredients include juniper, caraway, mustard seeds, a couple kinds of seaweed, garlic and sea salt). If I eat it with other foods I should be able to make it through this jar, and next time I'll go with plain. 

Meals today: sausage/sweet potato/zucchini hash with fired eggs; farmer's pie and a couple of clementines; best ever chicken and cabbage. 

2 more days!

Cant believe the month is almost up, its amazing.

Last night I had the strangest dream that I was devouring sushi, the crispy tempura battered kinds with plenty of hot sake to wash it down. Yikes. There were people in the background cheering me on. I guess I shouldn't complain as it was the first food dream out of the entire month.

I am still going to need to work more on my morning meals and having enough to keep my blood sugars stable and to not be completely over stuffing my face at the same time, something for me to concentrate on in the coming weeks. (;

Day 28 FAIL.

I considered not posting this, but I figured that's the point, right?  

The slouching toward disaster started yesterday when I found myself eating a couple handfuls of dried dates and shaved coconut.  Possibly compliant- but totally dysfunctional.  How I even found myself pouring those two things into my hand at one time is hard to figure.  That was last night.  I snapped out of the binge mindset - since I didn't have that many dates!  I was disappointed that the behavior was still there so strongly, but tried to chalk it up to PMS... TOM is tomorrow or thursday. 

Today the house was freezing cold and getting myself and child out the door on time was a near feat of impossiblity.  Breakfast and packed lunch got lost in translation. Although I got her breakfast and her lunch packed come to think of it.

I ate 2 eggs and sausage at the cafeteria at work, but I knew that the odds of those sausages being compliant were nearly nil.  I didn't have my lunch either.  I couldn't face the salad bar - and I guess I already felt like I failed - so I got the hot food which was pork scallopini with zuchini. I think the pork had a butter sauce.

Work was crazy busy.  After weeks of nothing I got a number of things handed to me at once- so I was unprepared.  And cold and bitter about it.

Then at dinner I was trying to do too many things at once and sleep walking through it.  I made pan fried pork chops for myself and child.  Hers had breadcrumbs, mine had coconut flour.  She had a baked pototo with butter and sour cream.  I had roasted broccoli.  Long story short, there was inevitable cross contamination AND I ate  leftovers off her plate - not all of them, but enough bites to feel ridiculous for doing things so mindlessly.  And obviously ingesting breadcrumbs, butter and sour cream... if small amounts.

I was so out of it that I was helping child with homework when I realized I totally spaced that she had basketball practice tonight - after she and I had both been reminded in some way earlier in the day.

I think what depresses me is not the butter / gluten / sugar I ate today - but the fact that it was these Behaviors that all came back full force on Day 27/28!  It's like my thinking brain was off all day and my 'lizard reaction brain' was in charge - so doing all the old things and not being able to manage change - like new things at work and an unusual sports practice.

So yeah.  Already I'm thinking about how much I have to do at work tomorrow so I may as well get a triple latte on the way to work and start again on Feb 1.  I'm hoping I sleep that kind of thinking off and can just write this day off as ONE day and not a big slide.

So I'll be doing ALL of February now!

Harumph.

lexes, you've been around the block a time or two with the whole30, right? I want to make sure you understand how great 27 days of whole30 eating is for your body, even if you had a few slip-ups on day 28. I will confess today was a tough day for me too and I consider myself to be kind of a pro at this  :ph34r: . I didn't pack enough food to support my workout, and no suprise, I was hungry. I was crabby. I told a co-worker I was "done" with this whole30 business. She pulled a baggie of raw almonds out of her purse and handed them to me. I ate them ALL, got my mojo back and made it through, but sometimes you/we/I slip up. It's ok.

What worries me is the combination of FAIL in big letters with So I'll be doing ALL of February now! It worries me because it sounds like you are punishing yourself and I don't like seeing that. One of the hardest things the whole30 asks you to do is figure out how to live life OFF of the whole30. I worry that assigning yourself another 30 days of perfection is just putting off figuring out what to do when you are responsible for your own choices. SO, I guess what I'm saying is: if you want to go another 30 days. cool. If you enjoy it and it's less stressful than riding your own bike, go right ahead for as long as you want to, but if you feel like you have to do another 30 days as a penance for a few slip ups or because you don't think you can trust yourself to make nourishing choices...I guess I would challenge you to give yourself a little more credit. You know how it feels when you eat the whole30 way, and you know how it feels to eat off plan. I for one, think you can be trusted to decide when something off-plan is worth it.  :)

Day 28 FAIL.

I considered not posting this, but I figured that's the point, right?  

The slouching toward disaster started yesterday when I found myself eating a couple handfuls of dried dates and shaved coconut.  Possibly compliant- but totally dysfunctional.  How I even found myself pouring those two things into my hand at one time is hard to figure.  That was last night.  I snapped out of the binge mindset - since I didn't have that many dates!  I was disappointed that the behavior was still there so strongly, but tried to chalk it up to PMS... TOM is tomorrow or thursday. 

Today the house was freezing cold and getting myself and child out the door on time was a near feat of impossiblity.  Breakfast and packed lunch got lost in translation. Although I got her breakfast and her lunch packed come to think of it.

I ate 2 eggs and sausage at the cafeteria at work, but I knew that the odds of those sausages being compliant were nearly nil.  I didn't have my lunch either.  I couldn't face the salad bar - and I guess I already felt like I failed - so I got the hot food which was pork scallopini with zuchini. I think the pork had a butter sauce.

Work was crazy busy.  After weeks of nothing I got a number of things handed to me at once- so I was unprepared.  And cold and bitter about it.

Then at dinner I was trying to do too many things at once and sleep walking through it.  I made pan fried pork chops for myself and child.  Hers had breadcrumbs, mine had coconut flour.  She had a baked pototo with butter and sour cream.  I had roasted broccoli.  Long story short, there was inevitable cross contamination AND I ate  leftovers off her plate - not all of them, but enough bites to feel ridiculous for doing things so mindlessly.  And obviously ingesting breadcrumbs, butter and sour cream... if small amounts.

I was so out of it that I was helping child with homework when I realized I totally spaced that she had basketball practice tonight - after she and I had both been reminded in some way earlier in the day.

I think what depresses me is not the butter / gluten / sugar I ate today - but the fact that it was these Behaviors that all came back full force on Day 27/28!  It's like my thinking brain was off all day and my 'lizard reaction brain' was in charge - so doing all the old things and not being able to manage change - like new things at work and an unusual sports practice.

So yeah.  Already I'm thinking about how much I have to do at work tomorrow so I may as well get a triple latte on the way to work and start again on Feb 1.  I'm hoping I sleep that kind of thinking off and can just write this day off as ONE day and not a big slide.

So I'll be doing ALL of February now!

Harumph.

Hey girl!! Don't be so hard on yourself! Look how far you have come & have done so well.  I have enjoyed your posts & you have helped me be successful on my first Whole30......thanks! Listen to Miss Mary, she for sure knows what she it talking about. Go have a good day tomorrow & finish strong  :)

I also added sauerkraut to my diet this week. I figure my gut flora could use a boost and my grocery store had some fancy jars of "live fermented probiotic" sauerkraut, so I decided to try it. I'm pretty sure I like it, but the fancy stuff also turned out to be a little too spicy. Something they infused with the cabbage is hot (ingredients include juniper, caraway, mustard seeds, a couple kinds of seaweed, garlic and sea salt). If I eat it with other foods I should be able to make it through this jar, and next time I'll go with plain. 

I bought some at Earth Fare (our version of Whole Foods) that was 'garlic and dill' flavored and divine tasting.  The Kimchi I also bought is good but spicy.  I could eat the sauerkraut straight out of the jar it is so good!

Lexes, don't beat yourself up.  Easier for us to say than you to do, I know.

Sometimes I think that the best thing a reset like the Whole30 can do is help us understand how to be gentle to ourselves.  No one can be perfect or "on" 100% of the time.  And life is more than just what we put in our mouths.  If you have to turn attention to other things - work, family, etc., and you make less-optimal choices food-wise, maybe just acknowledge and move on?  That ability in and of itself is so valuable.

I don't know; I struggle daily with trying to be gentle to myself and not beat myself up for the millions of things I feel like I'm doing wrong in every arena of my life.

Good luck to you and to everyone.  I hope you have very strong finishes to the 30 days.

I know how you feel about sort of the mindless eating issues and battling those old habits.  But yesterday is gone and I think the fact that you have so much awareness on this issue is a majorly great thing.  You could have done the same thing with compliant foods and it still would have been mindless behavior (maybe if it had been compliant it would have illicited less guilt) but mindless none the less.  So, I say move forward feeling positive you can identify the sort of behaviors you really want to change (same ones I do too!).

Lexes -- I so don't get how I can organise food etc for my children but I can't always do it for myself. Agree with others: don't be too hard on yourself. It's all a learning process and working out how to get this eating thing to work for you. And yeah, it's the time when the organization falls apart (for whatever reason) that eating well becomes more difficult. I had a few months at the tail end of last year where I just couldn't do it (eating well, or organizing myself). I was pretty hard on myself at the time, but looking back it makes total sense that I couldn't pull it together then -- but the good part is that I did pull myself out of that, and here I am now. So yes, hang in there. You've done great so far, and you know how good eating well makes you feel.

Chicken, Leek and mushroom pie: gently fry leeks (washed and finely sliced, as many as you fancy -- I did two big ones) in a big pan in the oil of your choice or ghee with the lid on for about 5 minutes on a medium heat. Chop up lots of mushrooms into bite-sized pieces (I think I did about 600g). After the 5 minutes are up, turn the heat up under the pan, and then throw the mushrooms in. Cook until the mushrooms are soft and cooked through. At this stage I let it cool because I wasn't making it all at once, which then meant once it was cool I could add a huge bunch of fresh parsley finely chopped, the cooked chicken left over from our roast on Sunday, shredded, a few spoonfuls of mayonnaise (I used to make this with cream / crème fraiche) and salt and pepper. This made enough for 3 meals or so. You can warm it up and eat it just as a stroganoff (which is what I had for lunch today, with riced cauliflower) or as a pie, like I made last night ... I put it in a pie dish and then thinly sliced some sweet potatoes which I used as a topping -- a little olive oil, salt and pepper and then into the oven at 400 or so for about 40 minutes. The sweet potatoes didn't work quite as well as I had hoped and I might try it next time with a sweet potato mash instead, to see how that goes. (Or maybe the oven wasn't hot enough? Not sure ...).

Starving today. Pork chops with cumin and paprika, grilled, served with a radish and orange salad. Yum, but not convinced it will fill the hole in my tummy that I am already feeling. :o)

Having a night off work tonight. Woo-hoo!

Oh man, guys! I was so sad the board was down this morning! :( So glad everyone's back!

Anyway, happy day 29! I"m freezing my butt off over here - one of those weird things about losing weight they never tell you is that you may be cold all the time. When I was heavy I wasn't overly cold. Now, I cannot get warm enough ever! I seriously sleep on an electric blanket inside my warm, heated house. Yes, I'm a winter wuss. lol 

Anyway, yesterday was good. Ended up eating eggs and bacon for dinner (with some greens) because DH wasn't feeling well and wanted something light. I feel bloaty today - I think bacon twice in one day is likely to blame for that. Hah! 

I DID remember my pre/post-WO meals yesterday and it makes a huge difference! I had so much energy at boxing! love it! 

Today is TRX day and yes, I remembered my pre-WO meal. I'm such a weirdo, though, in that I cannot wait for work to be over so I can go to the gym. There is no better place in the world! (Ok, not true... I'd rather be hiking the mountains, but not in this weather!)

Have a lovely day, all! Sorry if I'm too bubbly... I'm in a good mood. :)

Day 29 - had a big piece of grass fed beef liver, brussel sprouts and sweet potato for dinner last night. YUM!! Had some leftover liver with breakfast + a couple of egg muffins. I used coconut oil and curry powder on the liver and it was delicious!

I went ahead and weighed myself this morning, as the 1st fell on a Wednesday too. I started at 148 and today the scale said 144.8. A little over 3 pounds but I'll take it. My clothes fit better and I feel so much better. And the sugar dragon has stayed in hibernation. Thats a big win for me.

I plan on going on for another 30 days.

Lexes- don't be too hard on yourself. You had one day with a couple of minor slip ups and 27 days that were fabulous!! Concentrate on the good things (I know, its easy to say). Hang in there.

Lexes - I agree with everyone else.  We seek out this community for support because we have have components of stress eating.  Life gets out of control.  Look at what you really did.  For the most part, you were compliant.  Lots of people do 90% paleo.  That takes away the stress of worrying about the dam* sugar in the bacon, or the touch of breading on a pork chop.  If you don't have immune-related issues, that should be good enough.  Cut yourself some slack.  Otherwise, you won't be able to do this as a lifestyle.  It feels great to be able to say "I did a Whole30", and yes, a "Whole28" may not have the same ring to it, but who cares?  This is about the rest of your life!

With that in mind, I will announce that I also gave myself permission to take a one-day break from my restrictions.  Lol, it's funny because now that I am trying to list what I did that was non-compliant, I am having difficulty.  I had my first cup of coffee in four weeks today.  And, oops, now I did not mean to do this, but I did put a bit of real evaporated milk in it.  My husband switched from nondairy creamer to evaporated milk this month, and I just realize that I drank dairy.  I don't get sick from dairy but my fibromyalgia aches may return for a day or two.  I had a beer at the English Pub.  Oh, and I ate some gluten free cereal.

The end.  LOL, I can't even "cheat" for real anymore.  I'm back to being compliant today until the end of February.  Not as punishment but because I am doing this as a lifestyle to help control my fibromyalgia aches.

I am waiting for my THEPALEOMOM book -

The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936608391/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SarahT - I am cold all the time, too!  I have my electric blanket going and I live in California!

Semolina - That looks delicious.  I am going to make it today!

Regarding my kids, who were also on a Whole30 with me - it is amazing how well I can be compliant with them!  I actually have to remind myself that they get to have a break, too.  My son has been begging for rice with his Chocolate Chili, so I may reintroduce rice.  Other than gluten free cereal, my kids are basically compliant too - well, I haven't been fully whole30 compliant for them because I do make them paleo treats. 

Day 29!  Wow.  I know I haven't been posting, but I have been compliant.  Feeling good in general, even though AF showed up AGAIN (totally not fair to have to deal with TOM twice in one whole30!).  Been feeling munchy the past 2 days, but have resisted, or satisfied it with a handful of almonds. 

Sleep was horrible until 2 nights ago, and now I'm sleeping again.  Hope that continues.  I'm looking forward to weighing/measuring on Friday.  And to being able to relax the rules a little. 

So have you planned your first reintro item?  I want a couple of squares of dark chocolate.  I'm soooo bad. LOL

I feel like I am one of the only ones not continuing on for additional W30 time. I don't feel bad about it either. I'm looking forward to Friday when I can relax a bit, have a glass of wine with some friends, and perhaps a Starbucks on the way to work. But don't worry...not all was lost on me. I realized that all that crap in my pantry...I don't need it. I don't WANT it. I also realized that I can cook.  This has provided me with an opportunity to get into the kitchen and make meals for my family. Really good meals that they all loved and I'll continue making.  I will also continue to be mindful of a protein, fat and a lot of veggies at each meal...but not worry so much if there is a bit of sugar or soy.

I'm not really sure if my stomach issues are related to gluten, so I'm going to monitor as I reintegrate those foods into my system.

With that said, I'm extremely proud of staying 100% compliant through this process. I have enjoyed reading everyone's entries and wish you all luck as you continue!

I'm not really sure if my stomach issues are related to gluten, so I'm going to monitor as I reintegrate those foods into my system.

If you're not sure whether your stomach issues are related to gluten, be sure to do a controlled reintroduction of gluten after your Whole30. That means eating gluten at all 3 meals in one day, keeping everything else Whole30 compliant. Then go back to 100% Whole30 compliance for the following 2 days, to see how you feel.

Hey, hey everyone. Good to see you all busy posting as we get closer to the big day...

Lexes42 - I love your honesty and I know how easy it would have been to keep it to yourself like a dirty secret that would only have made you feel worse. Be kind to yourself.

I dreamed last night that I ate sweets on day 30. For no reason! Obviously I was seriously annoyed with myself.

The end of a long day but I'm back home after two days holed up in a conference hotel in London. So happy to be home!

Today I made it to the hotel gym at 6:15 again after my half tin of albacore tuna and did a treadmill workout before a long day of being stuck in a room. The hotel were great with my food requests again, though...

M1: 3 fried eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and a fig

M2: salmon fillet with roasted vegetables and sautéed brocolli and green beans plus some melon and strawberry

M3: roast chicken with sweet potato, carrot, kale and Well Fed mayo.

I've had a headache for the past 24 hours but I think it's just tension and hopefully a good night's sleep in my own bed will help.

Looking forward to a glass of Malbec Friday night! Not planning on any other changes to W30 that day. Done reintro before so I know the score there. Wine gets a thumbs up, in moderation of course!

I feel like I am one of the only ones not continuing on for additional W30 time. 

I'm not either, don't worry. I eat what I call "mostly Paleo" most of the time and my purpose for Whole30 was to kill the sugar demon (again) after some non-Paleo indulging over the holidays. I already know what my sensitivities are, and am looking forward to well managed eating again. :)

I feel like I am one of the only ones not continuing on for additional W30 time. I don't feel bad about it either.

Me neither, to both of those statements. And yes, I am having wine on Friday. It is a planned special dinner with my boyfriend.

I do not plan on going off the rails, either. I just plan on riding my own bike going forward and feeding myself for both physical and mental health, and for me part of that is having a little bit of flexibility in my life. One great thing about doing this Whole30 is that now I know I have a "safe place" I can always return to if I get too off track in the future. It will be a tool to use when needed. I've seen enough benefits (even though I was probably 80-90% primal before) from this experience that I don't have any desire to go back to my "food issues." I also know I'm not perfect and that I will likely fall too far to the other side more than once...and then I'll use my tool (whether it's another whole30 or just a whole7) and get back on track.

Man I feel good...I mean, I am super stressed at work and this weather is horrible (I'm in Michigan)...but I'm in such a good head space right now. I can't imagine how good I'll feel when I can actually spend time outside and my work settles down some. Maybe then I'll see some tiger blood!

Lexes 42: I second all those posts about being good to yourself. So what if Day 28 wasn't on track?!

I really do subscribe to the Whole 30 wholeheartedly but life is a heck of a lot longer than thirty days. This month, as I see it, is a re-training of our bodies, our minds and our habits. If this was so easy and permanent, no one would ever need to do a Whole30 twice. I am hard on myself too which is its own problem but also results in other ancillary problems.

In the daily email, it mentioned finding the success story - your own personal success story and realizing that there are benefits large and small to this program. Do I think this program is a panacea? Nope. It's just been a re-start in the right direction for me. Yesterday and today I have been on a snacking bonanza. I am not sure why but at the very least, I am cognizant of it.

I am staying on for a Whole 45 for reasons already mentioned but I am putting February 2 into a black hole. It's the day of the .5 marathon and one very knowledgeable athlete (who keeps to a paleo lifestyle and has done Whole30) questioned me about the decision to stay compliant during the race. He wasn't judgmental - just trying to help me determine what would result in my best race. I concluded that I am CHOOSING to use energy gels because, well, 13.1 miles aren't short. Anyway, this is my race and the race course isn't the time to start experimenting for me.

To all those getting off the train on the 30 day stop, congratulations and best of luck with the re-introductions! Yippee!

EAH

I am staying on for a Whole 45 for reasons already mentioned but I am putting February 2 into a black hole. It's the day of the .5 marathon and one very knowledgeable athlete (who keeps to a paleo lifestyle and has done Whole30) questioned me about the decision to stay compliant during the race. He wasn't judgmental - just trying to help me determine what would result in my best race. I concluded that I am CHOOSING to use energy gels because, well, 13.1 miles aren't short. Anyway, this is my race and the race course isn't the time to start experimenting for me.

Here is my counter point. I was in my half marathon season when I made the switch to Paleo and when I did my Whole30. The advice I have always heard is not to change anything about your nutrition in the 2 weeks before your race and on race day. Whatever you have used for training is what you should stick with. I did 3 half marathons last year while maintaining a pretty strict Paleo lifestyle and the only nutrition I used during my race was coconut water mixed with my water. I'm not saying my races were perfect though I PR'd the last one but I don't think gels would have helped with the problems I did have. That all said...what have you been using during your Whole30 for your long run training days?

I like all the posts to Lexes.  One of my big big focuses on doing this was to regain the power to tinker with my diet without triggering some prior ED behaviors.  I feel less emotional about food, and while I may not have been as strict as everyone here (I've had some smoothies, and i had a big old glass or two of champagne when my husband got a new job this week), I think this has been a success and I feel and look better. 

Are people going to post measurements and what not tomorrow?

Archived