Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Well ... 20 minutes left in day 30.  I do look forward to hoping on the scale tomorrow AM.  I will be continuing and posting when able in the new thread.  I feel pretty good and have lots to look forward to.  I ill give some final (interim) thougths tomorrow.

Cheers

DJ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took to the scale this morning with some hesitation, not because I don't feel I've lost but because I don't want to get focused on that number. Still, I promised myself I will not get on for another month. 9lbs off :) Not insignificant on my 5'3" frame. I'm really pleased. I want to lose another 2lbs slowly over the next few weeks and will definitely keep with the rules in general.

This time last year I'd started off lighter anyway and lost 9lbs and went to to the skinniest I'd been in about 10 years. I felt amazing but ultimately it wasn't really sustainable for me. My biggest battle this year is shaking the feeling that I need to be that light again and knowing what is healthy and sustainable for me. It's a battle but at least I'm aware.

Have a good day whether you're trucking on or having a treat. I'll be sticking around, this is such a great group of people.

I weighed myself this morning too and am down 14lbs. (about twice what I lost on W30 #1)  Mind, I was at my heaviest ever on January 1st.  But, at least I'm approaching a decent running weight again.  My first half marathon took me about 2hrs 30 mins and my second a year later took 2hrs 10mins and I think that the biggest difference between the two, other than a bit of running experience, was that I weighed 10lbs less for the second.

Hubby also lost about 14lbs as well and wants to carry on eating paleo, but needs to figure out how to get in more calories without eating anymore food.  But he says that he's sleeping better than he has in years, he's not tired at 8pm anymore (he can make it to 10pm) and not waking up in the middle of the night. 

Have a good day everyone, I think I'm making today Day 31 as I don't think I actually fancy anything off-plan.

We did it!

The most challenging part was finding and preparing everything but I really didn't mind.

My results: sleeping well and without melatonin, no headaches, skin is clearer, clothes are looser and 13 lbs. are off, hopefully for good. Now, I'm gonna keep at it, except I'm going to try some "paleo" cake that a friend gave me that has some maple syrup in it.

Ahhh I can't believe we did it!  11 lbs. down and I'm feeling great.  Hard to believe how miserable I was feeling just a month ago after all of the holiday binges.  I'm kind of afraid of going off plan ... I love how whole 30 has changed my relationship with food and I don't want it to go back!  For the first time since I was a child, I am refraining from food when I'm not physically hungry and eating without guilt when I know I am truly hungry.  I feel like I still have a long way to go, after all, health is a journey -- not a destination!  

Actually, I am staying on plan today because tomorrow I am going to a hockey game with friends, so that'll be my reintroduction to gluten.  After the reintroduction phase, I plan on trying to stay totally compliant at home and only make exceptions (based on what I find out I can and can't tolerate) for social events or going out to eat.  I really want to try not to get back into my nightly several glasses of wine/beer with every sports game habit.  I hope to keep the drinking down to 1 or 2 nights a week.

I know that the key for me will be to make sure I continue planning out my meals every week.  I have enjoyed that so far and I know that'll help me stay on track.  Also ... easier said than done, but avoid eating emotionally as much as possible!  I also hope to continue in my journey to exercise more, improve my sleep, and remove the toxins from my home.  I plan on doing at least a whole15 sometime this year, maybe a couple!

Good luck everyone!!!

VICTORY TO ALL!

In my last week of whole 30, I finally found some bubbie's pickles (OMG SO GOOD), I finally tried full-fat coconut milk (OMG SO GOOD), and I made a variation on the following every day for breakfast. Get two sheets of prosciutto. Fry in a little pan (mine is 8 inch) until they start to get crispy. Take them out of the pan. Put whatever else is going to go in there as filling in... I usually had sausage, but this morning I have spinach. Sautee that until it is cooked. Take IT out of the pan. Put the prosciutto back in. Put the filling back in. Now crack eggs on top of it, however many you like. Break the yolks and jiggle the pan around so that the egg gets all under your filling and prosciutto. Leave it alone on the stove top and let it cook until the eggs get hard. Flip like a pancake (sorry, I know I know, the p word) and let the other side cook. Slide out of tiny pan, eat. It's like a delicious frisbee of awesome.

Things I have noticed on Whole 30 not related to my body or food:

My recycling bin has a lot more glass in it than plastic. I am pleased by this.

Helen, what brand of sauerkraut is that? I want to track some down, it sounds AMAZING.

Sounds like some amazing results out there!

I am a little disappointed with my weight loss. Only 3.5 pounds. However, I have reaped many benefits; my jeans fit better, I no longer have any trouble sleeping, my joints don't hurt, I only had two headaches this month, and I have realized this isn't actually as hard as I thought it would be. I will be reintroducing foods, but only Paleo foods. Today is eggs. Monday is nuts, Thursday is tomatoes and peppers.

I really enjoy reading about everyone's progress. Thank you! You made this journey enjoyable!

In my last week of whole 30, I finally found some bubbie's pickles (OMG SO GOOD), I finally tried full-fat coconut milk (OMG SO GOOD), and I made a variation on the following every day for breakfast. Get two sheets of prosciutto. Fry in a little pan (mine is 8 inch) until they start to get crispy. Take them out of the pan. Put whatever else is going to go in there as filling in... I usually had sausage, but this morning I have spinach. Sautee that until it is cooked. Take IT out of the pan. Put the prosciutto back in. Put the filling back in. Now crack eggs on top of it, however many you like. Break the yolks and jiggle the pan around so that the egg gets all under your filling and prosciutto. Leave it alone on the stove top and let it cook until the eggs get hard. Flip like a pancake (sorry, I know I know, the p word) and let the other side cook. Slide out of tiny pan, eat. It's like a delicious frisbee of awesome.

This is my breakfast almost to a T I cook proscuitto and spinach and then eggs on top :)

Woohoo, the end of the 30 days! I'm down 3.4 pounds. I wish I had done measurements, because I think that's where my progess shows. I know that my clothes fit better and I feel better, and the sugar dragon is dormant. A big win in my book!

I plan on continuing on, but I may add in regular butter, but just on sweet potatoes.

Congrats everyone!

Great to hear everone is getting such good results! I jumped on the scale as well, and I'm down 6 pounds and 3 inches overall! Very happy with that. Also my skin has been pretty consistently bright and clear the last couple of weeks, so I call that a win. Definitely provides incentive to keep going and stay on track. Oddly enough I had my very first food dream ever last night. I was working in an office and eating birthday cake. It was funny because dream me really didn't want the cake but felt like I had to eat it. Luckily real life me can just say no.  

Have a great Day 31!

Here goes!! I measured last nite & I have lost an overall 9 inches!!!! Weighed this morning and lost 11.5 lbs!!!! I am so pleased  :D

Listed all the other benefits I have seen yesterday.  I agree with all who have talked about this being a journey & it is.  The size & weight loss is wonderful (still have a long way to go) but my ultimate goal is to get healthier each month.......believe weight will FALL in line.  I hope to retire in a couple of years & I have a lot of things I want to do when that time comes, so with that in mind.......I will continue for the next month.....with the exception of the wedding on the 8th.  Will see where this journey takes me.........gotta go & set some fresh goals for February.

Will check in here for a few more days to see how everyone is doing but will be moving to the thread Semolina has set up!!!

Ya'll have been great & it's been fun checking in.......big Texas hug to all :)

Wow everyone!  What a great job!  As I posted yesterday, I am down 10 lbs (after gaining back some over Christmas).  Since my first whole30 in September 2013, I have maintained a size that I have not seen for eight years since I got married, went through fertility treatment, a failed pregnancy, an adoption that resulted in two children that had severe special needs, a separation, a reunification of the family, and a three-year stint of unemployment.

So here we are now - my marriage is intact, I am the size I was when I got married, my children have the educational support they need and are responding well to a Paleo Lifestyle, and I have a full-time job (for better or for worse).  My fibromyalgia signs are gone and I now can sleep pain free.  My next goal - sure - I will try to wear a bikini this year.  Gotta do some toning for that to happen!

The 21-Day Sugar Detox people start their day one the first Monday of each month, so their new day 1 is Feb 3.  They have a paleo version which I adhere to.  I'm still deciding what my next day 1 is, because I've been slacking off these past two days, too.  I did let my kids have some sugar gummies yesterday in honor of my daughter's birthday, which is coming up on Sunday.  Monday might be a good re-start point to get back onto Whole30, as they are a bit more hyperactive today than they have been since their Blue Dye white marshmallow incident a few weeks ago.

Anyway, great job, everyone!

I'm proud I stayed compliant for the full 30 days!  My first whole30 I made it to day 28, and was disappointed I didn't finish.  Not as happy with the measurable results as I am with the intangibles.  Weight lost--3 pounds (was hoping for 5). I started about 12 pounds above goal, so I'm trying to think of it as losing 1/4 of what I need to.  Lost 2" from my upper back, 1 1/2" from my rib cage, and 1/2" from waist.  Nothing from hips or thighs.  Sounds like I'm losing from the top down.  So, not insignificant, but was hoping for more on the lower half. 

Sleep has been hit or miss, right now it's good again.  I do not wake up exhausted (huge win). No aches and pains, menstrual headache was more manageable than it usually is.  Digestive issues (gas/bloating) are gone.  3 meals a day are enough. Habits I've broken--snacking while cooking meals, potato chips (grabbing handfuls throughout the day), needing something sweet after lunch.

Plan to stay paleo, but will relax a bit about little bits of stuff (bacon, salad dressing, that sort of thing).  And will have a bit of stevia now and then.  Plan to also reintroduce some intermittent fasting.

Sounds like everyone got something good out of it, I'm glad to hear it!  I did lose 10 pounds and I'll certainly take that.  I don't plan to step on the scale again until after my next 15 days.  So I'm heading over to the new thread to continue on.

Coffee - This thread is the "continuing on" thread.   Semolina has started a "post Whole30" group.

I'll be part of "continuing on" but will peek in on everyone who is in reintro phase.

Actually we were asked to not continue on in this thread by the Mods.  They said even though we continue on we need to post it in another section. 

No, that is not true.  This thread here is for people who are staying compliant.  We can stay here as long as we keep talking about staying compliant.

The reintro thread was started by Semolina, see above for the link, it is in the post-whole30 log section.

Actually we were asked to not continue on in this thread by the Mods.  They said even though we continue on we need to post it in another section. 

If that was the post I made I asked that those not adhering to a W30 continue on in a new thread and that those going for a W45, W60 etc could stay here. Did someone else post about that? Obviously you can post in any thread when you are not on W30 as long as you are not posting your food in a Whole30 section. Did any of that make sense? For example I only post about what I'm eating in the Post-W30 section unless it is completely compliant.

If that was the post I made I asked that those not adhering to a W30 continue on in a new thread and that those going for a W45, W60 etc could stay here. Did someone else post about that? Obviously you can post in any thread when you are not on W30 as long as you are not posting your food in a Whole30 section. Did any of that make sense? For example I only post about what I'm eating in the Post-W30 section unless it is completely compliant.

I agree.  I love to hear everyone's reintros, but I need to be part of a group that is strictly adhering to Whole 30.  Can we make a decision what we are doing and where? 

I will make an executive decision.  This thread is the continuing on thread.  The other thread is the reintro thread.

Are the "continuing on" people ok with that?

If that doesn't work, then will someone start a thread here and let us know where it is?

Ok, I'm here to vent and laud the wonders of the whole30.

I care for my two special needs children, my undiagnosed Asperger's husband, and my father who has alcohol-related dementia and Parkinson's disease.  And I'm an emergency veterinarian.  Talk about reasons to stress eat!

Dad broke his hip the other day.  Dad can't talk on the phone because his voice is too soft.  Dad can't type because his hands shake too badly.  So I have power of attorney over his account.  What did the bank do?  Took away on-line access because power of attorneys aren't supposed to have on-line access.  Kept him on paperless statements, so we don't even know what the bank balance is.  Took away the ATM card because power of attorneys aren't supposed to be able to use the card.  Lovely.  So how in the world am I supposed to help my dad manage his account.

While I was fighting with the bank, they determined that my driver's license is expired.  So now I get to go to the DMV to get a new drivers license.

Fighting with the bank all morning means I wasn't able to clean or cook.  Which means AS husband will freak out at the mess when he gets home.

Kids coming home in 30 minutes.

The laud - I am not stress eating.  I am very quickly going to cook myself a compliant meal before I go pick up my kids from school.  I was tempted for about half a split second as I was driving past Wendy's after fighting with the bank to get a big batch of french fries.  Didn't.  Instead I will have a nice bowl of chocolate chili over a bed of spinach.

Done.

Today is Day 1, Part Deux.

By the way, I received my THE PALEO APPROACH book yesterday, by thepaleomom.  She is a scientist and wrote a huge book on the science behind what we are all doing.  If anyone is interested in the immunology behind it all, take a look at the book.  It is a lot of information, but is simple to read, with lots of explanations of everything.

By the way, I received my THE PALEO APPROACH book yesterday, by thepaleomom.  She is a scientist and wrote a huge book on the science behind what we are all doing.  If anyone is interested in the immunology behind it all, take a look at the book.  It is a lot of information, but is simple to read, with lots of explanations of everything.

My copy should be arriving today as per the email I got from Amazon on Wednesday. :)

Archived