Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Let's do this! No excuses or work arounds!! I have done other cleanses and detoxes but looking for a lifestyle change and I think I found it. This sounds do-able. Looking forward to feeling great and hey, if I look great in the meantime that's a perk! Heading out to the grocery store now to load up for a great start on the 1st. Happy New Year everyone!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My goals for my 2nd Whole 30 starting tomorrow:

1. Cook ahead each weekend

2. Try at least one new recipe each week

3. Use the crock pot each week

4. Plan for dinners each weekend

5. Vary lunches

6. Use Fitbit daily to stay aware of how much I'm moving

7. Walk or NordicTrac at least 30 minutes or more five days

8. Use sit up and push up apps (per 3 x per week schedule)

Aloha everyone!

I am also starting my first Whole30 tomorrow. I have been leaning into the Paleo lifestyle for the past 1-2 years and am excited to make this commitment to myself and my health. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hints of other autoimmune issues, but nothing diagnosed. I am hoping I can kick some of the lingering symptoms I've been having and start to feel better. I am also planning to join CrossFit after I get through the hardest phases of W30 (mid-month?) and plan to stalk the other forum pages to see what people have to say about various activities.

I signed up for the daily emails and have been reviewing ISWF, the shopping lists, and meal plans from around the web. Wishing everyone health and success as we start this adventure together.

Hello. I'm starting my third Whole30 (Jan 1) and going for a 90-day total. The last time I did that, I found vinegar (sulfate) is a problem. I am looking forward to the challenge and having some support along the way!  

My Hubby is joining me and we are planning on starting a couple CrossFit sessions each week (and Tri-training season is also starting, its going to be a busy year).

Happy New Year!

Stephanie

The hubby and I are stoked to join this crew for our third Whole30. Our last one (October) was pretty unsuccessful, but our April one was awesome.

Here's to starting the new year right!

We're also eliminating fruit for the month and planning on taking a post-dinner walk every day.

In my previous post I did not include my goals, so here they are:

1. To completely finish the W30.

2. To lose weight.

3. To increase sleep time by turning all electronic devices off before turning in.

4. To eat three meals a day and decrease fruit intake. Last January I really had hard time eating so much food and felt full all the time.

5. Weekend preparation of vegetables.

6. To hit the gym 3x/wk for one hour.

Have a Happy and Healthy New Year everyone and I wish everyone who are embarking on this wonderful journey success.

Today is day 1 since we're a day ahead from the states! Everything is going pretty good, I've been eating paleo for 8 days now but wanted to officially start today. I'm cutting out dairy today, I've been adding cream to my coffee and eating the occasional string cheese, but I'm now removing that from my diet. I hope this will clear up the phlegm I've had in the back of my throat, and the breakouts I've been getting...nothing serious just more of an annoyance.

Just a little introduction of myself:

I've done paleo on and off for about 3 years, but never really stuck with it because of temptations and just generally wanted to be included with my co workers and peers. Well I finally decided its time to see how far paleo will take me... My dad has had me read a book called Grain Brain, a book I highly recommend for you all to add to your list. It talks about the detrimental effects grains and sugars have on the brain, linking diseases such as dementia and Alzheimer's to our diet. It goes really in depth and explains the why and how better than I can. But it just really got me motivated to drop the sugar and grains out of my diet fast. Which is why I didn't even want to do Christmas desserts and treats this year. Baa hummmbug lol

Anyhow, I've been a corpsman in the navy for over 2 years now and health and fitness is very important not only for my patients but for myself and those junior enlisted who follow my example. I hope I can be a positive influence to others I work with that want to change as well.

I'd also like to be an inspiration to my younger sisters who are 15 and 16, they follow a very junk food teenage diet and I hope I can change their minds once they see me again in September. And to by father who has always inspired me, he's also doing paleo with me even when he's 6,000 miles away it really helps to have his support.

Anyway sorry for the rambling just needed to really define why I'm here and keep myself on track! Best wishes and happy new year!

Anyhow, I've been a corpsman in the navy for over 2 years now and health and fitness is very important not only for my patients but for myself and those junior enlisted who follow my example. I hope I can be a positive influence to others I work with that want to change as well.

I'd also like to be an inspiration to my younger sisters who are 15 and 16, they follow a very junk food teenage diet and I hope I can change their minds once they see me again in September. And to by father who has always inspired me, he's also doing paleo with me even when he's 6,000 miles away it really helps to have his support.

Anyway sorry for the rambling just needed to really define why I'm here and keep myself on track! Best wishes and happy new year!

Love, love, love! We are with you, sailor!!!!

Hello!

My family and I will be starting tomorrow morning! My personal goals are to lose some baby weight and deal with gluten intolerance permanently. Professionally, I'd like to see if this is something I can recommend my patients (I'm an Acupuncturist).

Here's to our Health!

-Christy

Me too! This will be my third W30 (though I only made it to day 28 on the second one because my dad was taken ill, but I was cruising AND LOVING it up until that point so I'll still count it!). I'm SO EXCITED to be doing this again -- I love eating W30 it makes me feel so good. I'm planning on going beyond W30 but one step at a time so I'll aim for the 30 first.

I've had eggs and lettuce for breakfast, and am just about to  make some coleslaw so I have some food in the fridge for later: my biggest issue is being organised enough to have stuff in the fridge I can just eat for those times when I am feeling hungry and unmotivated. My second one was so much easier than my first; here's hoping the third is even easier.

Goals for this W30: start fitting exercise in as well.

Very happy new year everyone!

Happy New Year to all! 

I'm starting my W30 today, January 1st. Hoping to kick a few bad eating habits and loose a few pounds in the process. This will be my second attempt, the first one I did in Nov. 2012, made to day 28 or so. I basically got lazy and stopped. My problem then was organizing my meals and shopping and I never really kicked the sugar dragon's butt, seemed like I was always craving sugar. Maybe too much fruit? 

I do have some concerns about my training and if I can get enough carbs through fruits and veggies. I'm a cyclist, mountain bike to be exact and I ride and race about 4000 - 5000 miles a year. 

Good luck to all starting today! 

Phil

Hi all

My goals for the next 30 days, apart from the overall sticking to the plan, are:

1. Avoid all temptation by work colleagues.  This is a tough one ... office culture sees cakes, chocolates, biscuits etc being (kindly) brought in by work colleagues.  It's hard to resist at the best of times, and I have even taken something and started eating without realising I have done it in the past.  "No thank you" seems rude, so "not just now" is going to be the phrase I think.

2. Keep my daughter on track.  She's 18, doesn't need to lose any weight, but has a hard time with bad skin breakouts.  She has various food allergies too which we would like to single out.  But as she's 18 and a student, I will need to remind her to avoid alcohol, and she will struggle with her sugar dragon.

3. I will be starting T25 on 6th Jan and have joined a motivational group to keep the fitness side on track.

4. Make sure there is always a snack in the fridge in case of emergencies.

This is my first W30, and I am really looking forward to it.  Day 1 here we come.

Hi All.  This is my first W30! I am really looking forward to the challenge and taking control of my eating for my health.

About 3 years ago I discovered Atkins after 20+ years of WeightWatchers and losing and gaining the same 10 kg. It was great to lose weight without the hunger, and I no longer had the blood sugar crashes that followed  meals.  However I never felt that Atkins was quite healthy.  When I found Paleo it was a real eye opener and I felt I had come home.  I have been about 80% compliant since then. No grains, pulses  or unhealthy oils and minimal processed foods but I still eat Dairy.  my weaknesses are chocolate and chips, something that's always in the house because my partner buys them  :angry: About a year ago I developed a skin condition that has been tentatively diagnosed as Rosacea  ( I haven't seen a dermatologist yet to confirm).  I am taking antibiotics every day to control the breakouts. I have heard that eliminating dairy will help skin issues so I am embarking on the w30 in the hope that clean eating and being dairy free will clear my skin and make the antibiotics necessary. I would love to hear if anyone else has had success with this.

Good luck to you all and I will be following your stories with great interest.

PS as I am in Australia I have already completed day 1.  29 to go :D

I am starting Jan 1!  I did a whole30+ (I think I went 41 days ish) in August.  While I was really pleased with the results (and that I did it!), I don't think the value of it became crystal clear until the last two months.... as I have become miserable again with all my 'little symptoms'.  In fact, as I type, my hands feel puffy and tight.

I am hoping to go beyond 30 days again, but I'm not going to commit to it yet.  I have a habit of making too many changes, major commitments, at once and then giving everything up because I can't do it all.

Through the end of December I'm going to give up all bread and gluten and limit dairy.  Those are honestly the two things I need to give up completely forever.  Plus by giving them up, the sugar in my life also falls to almost nil.   I didn't have much, if any, gluten / dairy in September / October... but they have come back in full rotation and I'm sure that's why I'm miserable again.

I'm also going to plan, plan, plan and cook ahead.  This is the only thing that keeps me on track.  My major challenge is keeping it budget friendly and not getting sick of eating the same things over and over.  Since I'm primarily cooking for one (I feed my teenager and boyfriend on an inconsistent basis..) I end up eating the same leftovers for a couple days and getting annoyed!

Any 'planning' / 'pre-game' advice welcome!

Have you checked out "The Clothes Make The Girl" She has some great ideas on food prep for your Whole30. Basically you cook and prep up a bunch of meat and vegetables on one day and then mix and match them with different spices to create different meals during the week, so you don't get bored. or "Nom Nom Paleo". She shows all the food she made during two Whole30s. She also has some great recipes. Good Luck

Happy new year, everyone!! Welcome all of us to Day 1!!

I forgot to list my goals for this Whole30:

1. Sun Salutation every morning

2. Lights out @ 10 PM every night

3. No more than 2 servings of fruit per day

4. Short training runs 2x per week + 1 long run

5. Stop calling myself an "old fart" =)

Hello everyone!

I'm starting today too!  This is my first Whole 30 

In the past I've succesfully cut out wheat and sugar and I felt great, lost weight, and my skin and hair looked fantastic!  Then I fell face first into some sugar and I've been fighting the sugar demon since. 

My goals are

1 - Get over sugar!

2 - Get back to those great energy levels

3 - Sleep better! (Which includes turning all electronics off and taking the time to quietly wind down before bed) 

4 - Prepare food and always have food ready so there is never an emergency of not having something on plan to eat. 

A large pork roast happily cooked in my crockpot all night.  I made hardboiled eggs last night, and today I'll chop and prep lots of veggies! 

I hope everyone has a great first day (or second day, for those on the other side of the globe!)

Let's do this!  :) 

Day 1.  I weighed myself and was kind of disappointed (way too much indulgence since Thanksgiving) but I'm putting that disappointment behind me.  Having some coffee with coconut milk and then thinking about some eggs!  Happy New Year!  Let's do this!

I completed one whole 30 back in august 2012. It was great. Good results carried me through to January 2013 when the results started to get lost. I still stayed approx 80 percent through the year last year, but I didn't get the same sleep, skin, hair, inches, and energy. i am motivated to start anew. Today.

Breakfast, egg, bacon, almond meal bread, and hollandainse. 

Lunch hugh jass salad, and  dinner, chicken stir fry. 

WOOT .......then of course, the real challenge begins, no eating until the next breakfast. So i get the benefits of intermittent fasting, and good sleep. 

Good luck everyone, happy new year, and away we go! 

TerriAnn (ontario Canada) 

oh, ps, Im not weighing or taking pictures, or measuring., I go by how my clothes fit, and I have my first pair of goal weight pants out. 

I am also starting today. I've been eating paleo-ish on and off for about two years but I always end up falling off the wagon and allowing myself too many indulgences. I really want to "reset" my eating habits. I had a baby 15 months ago at age 38 and this year I will turn 40. I am still trying to get back into the shape I was in before she was born - better eating habits are a big part of that! This month, we will be moving to a new house where we are in the middles of renovations and so I will not have a functional kitchen for the last 10 days of the Whole 30! I decided to commit and do it anyway. I think that having the Whole 30 as a focus might actually help in this stressful time. I am able to order paleo meals that are delivered to my gym, so that will help if things get really crazy. Right now I'll do 5 lunches but I can also add dinners. Happy to be on this journey with everyone!

Archived