Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay for January 1....starting another Whole 30! Found this way of eating/community last May, and it put my road to better health on the fast track. I was, and still am, working with a naturopath, for an inflammation problem that was getting worse, and really complicating my life. When I found this she was really happy because it sped up where she was leading me, food wise. I've done a few Whole 30s, and mostly eaten clean since then; dropped 50 lbs so far, my inflammation episodes are rare, and I've made countless other improvements since finding Whole 30. Just do it, stay focused and you'll be surprised at how much better your life will be!!

Any advice on roasting a frozen whole chicken?  I have one in my freezer and am wondering if I need to defrost that sucker?  I have a pressure cooker but don't use it much.  Was thinking of just roasting.  But crock pot?  Could I do it that way just frozen?  Or is defrosting and roasting the best bet.

Also, reading several posts about eating bacon.  I am jealous.  No compliant bacon around here!  I did hear of a local butcher that sometimes has it.  I had my 'Earth Fare' Sunday uncured bacon yesterday since no more for a month!

Definitely defrost before cooking. Roasting in the oven will give you more golden brown crispy type chicken, but crockpots are fantastic too. I use my pressure cooker a lot for beef, makes it very tender, and it's fast.

Day 1 going well so far.  9 hours of sleep last night. Breakfast was 2 sausage patties (ground pork, venison, and spices--I mix it all up myself), blueberries and coconut whipped cream. YUM!

Stayed busy all morning taking down the tree and cleaning up the living room.

Just finished lunch of a big salad-tons of veggies, topped with organic canned chicken and an olive oil/red wine vinaigrette.

Will be out and about all afternoon.  Not sure what supper will be.  But likely baked chicken, sweet potato and green beans.

Need to get a plan on paper for a week's worth of dinners. That's where I fall short--I don't plan, then go for the easy when it's 5:30 and nothing is defrosted. 

Made the Meatza from CMTG last night as a 'warm up' meal and it was delicious!

I am starting today also.  My last whole 30 was January of last year and I felt energetic and mentally sharp.  I've eaten fairly clean (and paleo) since then however I love the idea of starting of the new year with a reset.  My challenges include my almost daily (after dinner) glass of red wine as well as the fact that I travel extensively for work.  I know I have to plan ahead in order for this to work.

Happy New Year, All!  Also, happy Day One.  

Smooth so far - breakfast of crustless quiche from Practical Paleo, steak, and grapes.  Lunch was chocolate chili from Well Fed topped with pickled jalapenos and avocado (highly recommend).  Dinner will be our standard Paleo stew.  I feel lucky that I have been Paleo-ish for about 18 months and am familiar with cooking this way, because I think I'd be overwhelmed with the cooking otherwise.  I can understand why this intimidates so many people.  I had yesterday off and spend about half of it prepping, and another three hours or so this morning/afternoon as well!  But now our refrigerator is full - mayo, creamy Italian dressing, sunshine sauce, crudite, stew, chili, roast chicken, roasted brussels sprouts, riced cauliflower, bone broth, cleaned and portioned fruit, etc.

Actually, my biggest challenge may be my husband.  He thinks the ideas behind clean eating are "woo" and won't engage on the topic.  He is eating what I'm making, so I guess that is ok.

Since everyone is sharing their goals for the Whole30, I thought I'd share mine:

1.  Bed by 10 each night; no electronics after work hours.

2.  An hour at the gym four days per week.

3.  One outdoor run each weekend (prepping for my first Warrior Dash in May!)

4.  Outdoor activity with my son each weekend day (walk, bike ride, playground).

Good luck, everyone.  Happy eating.

Day one almost done! Really enjoyed my food today. Smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, spinach and sweet potato for breakfast; Thai green curry and coconut soup with spinach and prawns for lunch; and roast beef with carrots and cabbage for dinner.

My goals for this W30 are:

- Walk 5 miles a day

- Exercise 3 times a week for an hour

- Sleep at least 7.5 hours a night

I'm hoping to ease my anxiety symptoms, too.

Hello everyone,

This is my first real attempt, starting this morning.  I made a 1/2 hearted attempt last May but have been pondering and studying since then.  I have been vegetarian for 27 years but decided to add (consciously raised) animals back in for this (not an easy decision) and have been easing into that transition since Thanksgiving.  

So far, so good today. 

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with broccoli and mushrooms...made in clarified butter and my first bit of coconut oil.

Lunch was a taco salad of sorts with seasoned beef, lettuce, mushrooms, olives, guacamole and a little red wine vinegar and hot sauce. 

I live with two vegetarians and an omnivore that are supportive but not onboard.  Temptations will be around for sure.

Any advice on roasting a frozen whole chicken?  I have one in my freezer and am wondering if I need to defrost that sucker?  I have a pressure cooker but don't use it much.  Was thinking of just roasting.  But crock pot?  Could I do it that way just frozen?  Or is defrosting and roasting the best bet.

My husband used to do frozen meat in the crockpot, but then we read that it then stays in the "danger zone," temperature-wise, for too long to be safe.  So that's why you have to defrost first. 

Hey all

Well I did not plan too well today but I am doing pretty well.  Breakfast was poached eggs, almonds and an apple.  Lunch was a coffee RxBar, an apple and some pistachios.  Dinner will be some sweet potato baked fries, baked chicken and a big salad.

I know that I am lacking in veggies today but this will improve. Feeling good today (but day one is pretty easy)!

If you have not tried the RxBars, they are pretty good.  I have coffee and blueberry.  It is nice to have a convenience choice but they are a little pricey to get shipped here to Canada.

Cheers

DJ

First time on forum, starting my Whole 30 today. Nice to have so much company. Have tried and failed before, downfall is sugar for me, I absolutely LUST after it some afternoons and I think it has to do with tiredness. The pasta/bread/rice/cereal carbs I have been off of for most of the last year, alcohol is something I don't need that much of, black coffee is difficult for me though. Have found a nice Caliente Almond Milk with a bit of Coconut Milk blended in, nothing else in them, at my local "roots" store in Maryland. I'm hoping the sugar cravings, which was really difficult for me to get through, start to subside better this time than the last time I tried this. 

I keep remind myself of what it said in the book. This is not "hard." Hard is serious illness, loss of loved ones, hard is not ignoring cravings for a few hours here and there over the course of 30 days.

Here's to a fantastic start for 2014. Happy New Year, Happy Whole 30 everyone!

Also, reading several posts about eating bacon.  I am jealous.  No compliant bacon around here!  I did hear of a local butcher that sometimes has it.  I had my 'Earth Fare' Sunday uncured bacon yesterday since no more for a month!

I use my crock pot...stick it in over night. :)

Jan 1, Day 1. Love the newsletter - very helpful and inspiring. I've been "paleoish' for the past 3 years; more or less primal with rice, bread, and sugar binges at regular intervals. I seem less able to handle the backsliding without noticeable results and at one point recently felt ready to commit to a fundamental change in my relationship with food. So far, so good! 

Day 1 had headache most of the day. Guess it was carb/sugar withdrawal. Busy day in the kitchen. I'm not much of a cook but did manage to make chocolate chili and olive oil mayo which turned out great! Not so lucky with my slow cooked chicken. It was very dry even though it was falling off the bones. I'm guessing that I somehow managed to overcook it. I also burnt my brussel sprouts and undercooked my spaghetti squash. :(. I'm really better off if I stick to eggs and salads and grass fed burgers but that gets old after a while. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Hope everyone else had better luck than I did! Signing off my electronic device. Until tomorrow .....

I survived day 1, was stuck at work for 12 hours straight with doughnuts sitting on the counter and Italian lunch (pizza and pasta catered).  M1 was bacon asparagus soup; M2 was chicken and greek salad; apple snack; M3 was grilled chicken breast (at a Brazilian restaurant).  My husband sabotaged day 1 for my children by off roading with them all day.  They were ricocheting from the ceiling when we met back up after work.  I will try again to get them compliant tomorrow.  My goal is 30 days of compliance for them to see if their hyperactivity improves on this diet.  Unfortunately, my husband watches the kids on weekends while I am at work, and he is not committed to the whole30 or paleo lifestyle for them, so I have had to start over every Monday on them.  I begged him to stay compliant for 30 days with kids so I can have time to prove to ourselves whether it has an effect or not.

Day 1 had headache most of the day. Guess it was carb/sugar withdrawal. Busy day in the kitchen. I'm not much of a cook but did manage to make chocolate chili and olive oil mayo which turned out great! Not so lucky with my slow cooked chicken. It was very dry even though it was falling off the bones. I'm guessing that I somehow managed to overcook it. I also burnt my brussel sprouts and undercooked my spaghetti squash. :(. I'm really better off if I stick to eggs and salads and grass fed burgers but that gets old after a while. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Hope everyone else had better luck than I did! Signing off my electronic device. Until tomorrow .....

I had a headache most of yesterday, too, although it was probably more to do with all the wine I drank on Tuesday night! I'm looking forward to lots of clearer-headed days ahead.

All of the cooking on the W30 is really hard, even if you're generally into cooking, like I am. It's great that you're giving it a go. Don't be discouraged, keep trying different things and you'll find a few new gems that don't feel like a struggle to make. One of my favourites for breakfast, lunch or dinner are Nom Nom Paleo's tuna fishcakes from her app. They're foolproof. I'm cooking up a batch later to have on standby.

I roasted a few days' worth of veggies yesterday - carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, mushrooms, red pepper and courgette. I had a few in my breakfast frittata just now with some smoked salmon, cooked in coconut oil. One of my favourite breakfasts and great to make ahead and have cold if you're travelling. Holds together really well. I have a blog I haven't updated in a little while but if you go to www.chillichocolatelove.com and look at last January and April's posts, there are lots of simple recipe ideas. Good luck!

Things I learned from my last W30s include that cutting out fruit, apart from being included in my main meals, really helps cut my sugar cravings. And I finally have to admit that dried fruit is just a no no for me. Period. Dates are my kryptonite! Nuts are another danger zone but will be used for emergency fat where needed and are far more under control than dried fruit.

Day two here we come!

Nuts and dried fruit are danger zones for me too. I have bought some nuts in because they are good in an emergency -- I've got some of those little snack packs for those emergency moments, but I will try to avoid them. It's getting to know your own "food with no brakes".

Yesterday rocked. I love eating like this. My first W30 was TOUGH, my second was easy (though all went wrong right at the end as life got in the way and I've only just pulled myself back) ... here's hoping this one is easy, too. The challenge for me is to make sure I always have food in the fridge I can just eat. I have a big batch of coleslaw in there at the moment, and have just made more mayonnaise. (Mmmmm)

I woke up feeling better this morning -- horray!

Day 2!

What a day to start my monthly hooray and the cramps are worse than ever! Just fabulous...:/ I guess I get to compare in a month. I was wondering why I was so bitchy the day before... Any how today went well, made bacon and soft boiled eggs in the morning...chicken salad for lunch and a spoonful of almond butter later, taco salad with onions, garlic and avocado for dinner. Thank goodness I read the back of the taco seasoning I usually use, I realized it has a load of junk...really why does sugar need to be in taco seasoning? I'm still wondering...

Oh and hello to all the new faces, I was amazed this afternoon to find there are nearly 9 pages in this forum. Konichiwa!!!

It's exciting to know other people care about their health as much as me.

Cooper the puppy is also doing paleo with me hehe...the food is at least 3x more expensive now but he seems to be taken to it quite well.

I started yesterday, January 1st. This is a return to a previous lifestyle, but sadly the last couple years have been dedicated to school and kids (and weight gain, apparently). Time to take charge!

In addition, my oldest was diagnosed with Celiac Disease this past fall, so we are taking this challenge as a family! Here's to clean living!

Hi everyone, I started on the 1st as well.  I completed a W30 back in April and have dabbled in and out a few times since then but without a lot of serious commitment. I've missed the boat on the daily emails again as I was planning to start on Monday, but my husband started reading my copy of Well Fed 2 on New Years Eve and decided that he was in for a W30 as well. (And we're going to the rugby next month, so had to start on the 1st so that he can squeeze in the full 30 days... evidently it's impossible to go out and watch sport and not spend the day drinking)

Luckily I have a decently stocked pantry and managed to feed the both of us three meals yesterday and breakfast and lunch today. I did the African chicken dish from Well Fed 2 with steamed cauliflower and green beans for tea last night and we both really enjoyed that. I only had tinned tomatoes, so used the blender after I'd cooked the sauce and now I wish I'd been doing that with all of the curries I make.

Sailorlawrence, I started making my own taco seasoning when I was living in Japan and taco rice is probably the only Japanese dish I learnt to make during five years there  :)  It's probably on the menu weekly in our house during the summer.

Archived