Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

I only woke up twice to pee last night (does anyone else have this happen during the first few days?  Is it sugar detox?) hooray!  I hope tonight is even better.

I cooked some yesterday too. I am so resistant to cooking but once I start I find I actually enjoy it.  I think Robb Wolf's book (got from the library) has some really simple great recipes and ideas.  I like some of the Well Fed recipes a LOT but a lot of time it is more than I want to get involved with.  

Day 2!  I am off work (teacher) so this is a great way to start honestly.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning Whole 30ers!

Thanks for the pages of wonderful comments that keep the enthusiasm and optimism elevated during this month. This is my second Whole 30 (February 2013) and I completed it without the aid of a forum so I believe that this month will have an added bonus and incentive.

I am a jogger with four kids and my double stroller has seen many miles. I am the only person in my family doing the program but I need to cook for two preteens and two preschoolers and one foodie husband without them "realizing" that they're eating whole 30 compliant meals. Yes, I get the grilled chicken and roasted meats but I need great recipes that are both kid tested andW30 approved. I don't have a slow cooker but I am thinking to purchase one.

On another note, this forum has already benefitted me with the realization that yellow raisins are like M&Ms for me. There was a comment comparing dried fruit to kryptonite and that was an eye opening realization for me.

Thank you again for all the truthful words and opening your experiences to help all those participating this month.

EAH - any good luck you have with pre-teens I'd love to hear about.  My nearly 13 year old is a picky eater whose food groups are carbs and dairy (and sugar).  She'll eat meat, but vegetables are a tough sell.  I lament daily about where it all went wrong... she was eating spinach quiche as her 1st birthday cake and literally ate everything until about aged 3.  For ten years I've been hoping she grows out of this phase....

I have successfully made chicken fingers with both almond flour and coconut flour - in fact a chicken breast dipped in egg and coconut flour, fried in coconut oil, has a distinctive 'fast food' feel about it. Daughter is skeptical of homemade mayo and 'ketchup' but otherwise, this is something we'll both eat.  Pork loin done in the slow cooker with apples and cinnamon is also a winner.  Fruit and eggs (like blueberries) is surprisingly good and might be fun for the little ones too.  I'd also recommend making your own 'sausage' from ground pork... this feels breakfasty, portable  and you can make it as non spicy as you like.  Nom nom paleo has a way to make 'egg mc muffins' - where the eggs act as the bread.  If your kids like guacomole or egg salad... red peppers or carrots are good dippers.  But so is jicama.  PITA to prepare, but it crunchy but tasteless - so a perfect dip crudite.   I also recommend 'zoodles' and meatballs.  Unfortunately its no longer zuchinni season, so they are a little pricey.  But you can do anything with meatballs and the zoodles totally work for me as a pasta substitute the way spaghetti squash never did.

It's not pretty but Melissa Jolwan's 'fake' pad thai is so delicious it's a 'food without brakes' for me, and can be spiced differently for adults and kids.

Hello All.

Day Two going smoothly, food-wise.  Sipping on some bone broth as I type.  I have to say, anyone looking for recipes should really check out Well Fed.  I am a life-long "foodie" (how I do hate that term, though!), love to cook, and I am really picky about flavor and texture and so on, and Melissa's recipes are top-notch.  Definitely the best paleo cookbook I have tried (and I have about half a dozen).

If only the rest of my life could go as smoothly as my eating plan!  Not even a day into 2014 and I already dropped the ball on both early bed time AND not hitting snooze this morning.  I guess there is only so much change/so many challeneges one can take on at one time!  In any case, today is a new day and I will do my best to adhere to my 10 PM bed deadline.  And if I don't, I can practice my other major resolution: being gentle to myself, even when I "fail".

Enjoy your day, everyone!

**warning** depressing post ahead.... skip if looking for puppies and rainbows....

So my Day 1 went very well, particularly considering the circumstances.

On New Years Eve I was contacted with the news that a dear friend of 20+ years had passed away in the night.  KFS was my first love.  Not my first boyfriend, but that first crazy chemical ohmygod connection you get with someone when meeting them.  As is often the case with those flame bright connections - especially the ones you get at 21 -  that relationship had no future in 'real life'.  I won't bore you with the details, but I actually ended up marrying a friend of his and living in the UK for 5 years.  

My UK / US marriage did not survive for various reasons, but one factor was that I was in my twenties and had deblilitating depression and migraines.  Add that to being alone in a foreign country (with little sunshine) because my husband travelled extensively for work and well... we were dooooomed.  Both my love for KFS and my husband were functions of loving someone, but not being able to actually make a life with them.  One of those 'life lessons' that is hard to accept, but must be accepted. Twenty five years later, we are all still (long distance) friends with our own children / spouses ... and just last  September we marvelled over email at how our lives had unfolded since we all originally met in 1992 - as KFS' older daughter graduated university and his younger daughter and mine were the same age.

KFS was from Liverpool and everyone who knew him, loved him.  He was 53... and he fit the profile - like James Gandolfini - of the middle aged  man who loved life and people- which included a lot of food, alcohol, cigarettes, and late nights singing bar songs over the years  - and so was bound to have his lifestyle catch up to him.  He was a great cook, a wonderful friend, a fantastic party host. Unfortunately too much of what is 'bad for you' was part of his identity.

So, personal feelings for KFS aside, now I am at the age where my contemporaries are dying from their food / lifestyle choices.  I've had people close to me die of cancer and other unfair diseases - but this is the first time I have really felt - 'no more excuses'.

53 is simply too young to die, and a father leaving a 13 year old daughter is heartbreaking.  My mother died from cancer at 41 (I have outlived her).  While there is much in life I can't control - car accidents, certain diseases... I should at least fix what I can.  Life is still wonderful without sugar and vodka.

My father has Parkinsons and I am terrified of Alzheimers (which affected both my grandmothers for years).  So while I quit smoking and drinking years ago, there is still the 'type 3 diabetes' to be terrifed of.  Obesity runs rampant in my family as well - I'm sure it's because we are carb-o-holics and emotional binge eaters. 

I still have dysthymic depression and migraines (although neither are deblilitating, they are constant companions.. I guess I"m just used to managing them now).  I am convinced I can lesson their effect on my life even further if I commit to eating this way, and I can lesson the chances of losing my memory and making the end of my life a burden for my daughter 30 years from now.

Sometimes it seems that giving up cake is silly - we should enjoy life! Plus cake is freaking everywhere.  But then I remember that honestly relationships and people  HAVE been taken away from me because of too much cake (and wine).  I can't assume that my marriage would have survived if I ate paleo 25 years ago, or that KFS would be alive today if he had adopted healthier habits 10 years ago, but I think managing these things - once you get to a certain age - is like wearing a seat belt and washing your hands.  Bad things still happen, but you minimize your odds considerably if you look after yourself.

Okay, that's my sad story.  The happy ending is that even amidst the grief - seriously even seeing posts on this forum from people in the UK made me burst into tears yesterday - I started the W30.  I woke with a horrible migraine and missed M1, but M2 and M3 went forward without me saying I deserved pizza and ice cream to salve my pain.  Little choices every day make the difference.

I'm in!

Day one down with no headache!  Spent lots of time muddling through the the mountain of information yesterday and so look forward to the forum for ideas and motivation. 

I am great of example of how you can go from triathlete (or at least participant) to Coach potato in no time!  I dabbled with Paleo a bit in the fall and but did not fully commit.  Clearly planning and organization are going to be key.

My goals for the year are to get my level of fitness back, get off my cholesterol meds and rediscover the back of my closet.  

Look forward to you posts!

I begged him to stay compliant for 30 days with kids so I can have time to prove to ourselves whether it has an effect or not.

I wonder if he'd at least agree to cut out any foods with dyes in them and most sugar?  That might seem less daunting to him since they could still eat the bread/pasta/chicken nugget/french fry stuff (not great, but maybe better than nothing).

Day 2!

What a day to start my monthly hooray and the cramps are worse than ever!

Oh me too!  Guess if I can do one with a raging menstrual migraine, and a whopping craving for chocolate and sugar, I can do anything.  Good job staying with it.  Thankful for no cramps here anyway.

Day 1 went well for me, in spite of several potential landmines, including said cravings above.  Went to visit friends after lunch, and she had peanut butter/chocolate fudge and several kinds of chips set out to munch on.  I had a cup of hot, plain tea and stayed away from everything else. Then got home later than I intended, so supper was later and I was starving.  The chips from the kids lunch was still on the table (my kryptonite).  I grabbed about 10 almonds for the salty, and a handful of baby carrots for the crunch, and nibbled on that while I cooked.  After supper, the girls got out the Puppy Chow while watching tv. It looked so good.  But I resisted--good thing they were on the other couch! 

Here's my food:

Breakfast--2 sausage (ground pork, ground venison, spices), blueberries, coconut whipped cream, black decaf

Lunch-mega salad with organic canned chicken and homemade olive oil/red wine vinaigrette; 2 apple slices.

Supper--pressure cooked round steak, tri-color peppers, onion, zucchini, carrots; 1/2 sweet potato; 1/2 banana.

Oh, on cooking the frozen chicken--I'd use a pressure cooker.  Seems safer to me than the crockpot.

53 is simply too young to die, and a father leaving a 13 year old daughter is heartbreaking.  My mother died from cancer at 41 (I have outlived her).  While there is much in life I can't control - car accidents, certain diseases... I should at least fix what I can.  Life is still wonderful without sugar and vodka.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lexes - your approach to managing through this difficult time is spot on. May your wisdom not only guide you through the coming months but be a great example to many others. You are in my thoughts and prayers this day.

I had a headache most of yesterday, too, although it was probably more to do with all the wine I drank on Tuesday night! I'm looking forward to lots of clearer-headed days ahead.

All of the cooking on the W30 is really hard, even if you're generally into cooking, like I am. It's great that you're giving it a go. Don't be discouraged, keep trying different things and you'll find a few new gems that don't feel like a struggle to make. One of my favourites for breakfast, lunch or dinner are Nom Nom Paleo's tuna fishcakes from her app. They're foolproof. I'm cooking up a batch later to have on standby.

I roasted a few days' worth of veggies yesterday - carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, mushrooms, red pepper and courgette. I had a few in my breakfast frittata just now with some smoked salmon, cooked in coconut oil. One of my favourite breakfasts and great to make ahead and have cold if you're travelling. Holds together really well. I have a blog I haven't updated in a little while but if you go to www.chillichocolatelove.com and look at last January and April's posts, there are lots of simple recipe ideas. Good luck!

Things I learned from my last W30s include that cutting out fruit, apart from being included in my main meals, really helps cut my sugar cravings. And I finally have to admit that dried fruit is just a no no for me. Period. Dates are my kryptonite! Nuts are another danger zone but will be used for emergency fat where needed and are far more under control than dried fruit.

Day two here we come!

Jodea,

Thanks for the encouraging words! Woke up today with a headache worse than yesterday but I have to admit I have been binging on sugar and carbs for the last month so I'm sure I deserve it! Looking forward to getting past the withdrawal stage, which I know from experience I will!

I will definitely check out your blog. I have to admit, though, I have never had parsnips nor do I have a clue what courgette is!  Safe for me is broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes and even sweet potatoes are an adventure for me. Apparently spaghetti squash is too! :)

Hope your day 2 went well!

Day 1 down! It went pretty well for the most part. I was slightly hungry all day which I think means I need to make larger meals. I had a rough moment when I unexpectantly found a bag of candy in my kitchen junk drawer. No worries, I tossed it. Probably better to find that on day one rather day 10 or so. 

helen - I also got up a few times last night to use the bathroom! My theory is that this is where all the "water weight" goes, but I don't actually know what the deal is. 

No hangover today, thank goodness. Though I'm in grad school, so I would like to get as much of the awful out of the way before my semester starts up again on Monday. Fingers crossed. Plan to make Well Fed pad thai (my favorite whole30 recipe so far) and this salmon chowder today (minus the bacon). I learned from my first Whole30 that I like having lots of food options. 

Good luck for Day 2 everyone!

Starting day 2 here in Los Angeles.  Yesterday went fine except last night the snacking monster caught ahold of me and I munched on some nuts before bed.  No hunger involved, just habit.

Today is day 2 without coffee.  I am not a coffee addict but drink it socially.  Seems my social coffee drinking gave me a caffeine headache the day I didn't drink any, so I went cold turkey off of coffee.  I've had to do that before - I don't like the feeling of having an addiction.  I have my food addiction already - that is enough.

So - to the people who think cooking for a whole30 is arduous - my main goal during this official second whole30 for me is to simplify my meals.  It doesn't have to be hard to cook Paleo.  We just have so many good cookbooks available to us!  And we have forgotten what it is like to only get our calories from clean food.

M1 - I sat and read the newspaper this morning sipping a cup of homemade chicken stock/bone broth.  It replaced my habitual reading the paper with coffee and was very delicious.  I followed that up with sauteed spinach with two eggs, basted sunnyside up.

My daughter has been asking for hard boiled eggs.  Will probably make some up and have deviled eggs or egg salad for lunch today, with more of my Greek salad as a side.

I have chicken breasts in the fridge that I brined using Well Fed's Best Chicken you will ever eat.  I will have that for M2 tonight - just need to mix up the dry rub and barbecue.  I have red bell peppers, onions and mushrooms that will serve as my vegetables.

My husband off roaded feeding my kids yesterday while I was at work.  I am trying desperately to do a whole30 on them to see if it helps their ADHD.  I had a talk with him again last night and begged him to give me 30 days.  We will see if he sticks to it.

Regarding meals - I am trying to keep it simple, as I said.  That said, I made up some well fed sunshine sauce the other day in preparation for my whole30.  Other than taking a spoonful of it today, I have never used it before.  I want to try the Well Fed pad thai. I think nomnompaleo has one too.

I'm in! This is my first Whole30!  I'm a busy mom of three that also works full-time in an office. I'm nervous about all of the prep, but I feel organized and ready to go. My goal here is just to feel good. I have IBS and my stomach is always a mess. I have a feeling this might help!

Hey all

Well I did not plan too well today but I am doing pretty well.  Breakfast was poached eggs, almonds and an apple.  Lunch was a coffee RxBar, an apple and some pistachios.  Dinner will be some sweet potato baked fries, baked chicken and a big salad.

I know that I am lacking in veggies today but this will improve. Feeling good today (but day one is pretty easy)!

If you have not tried the RxBars, they are pretty good.  I have coffee and blueberry.  It is nice to have a convenience choice but they are a little pricey to get shipped here to Canada.

Cheers

DJ

I have never seen the RxBar but they look better than the Larabars for emergencies (twice the protein).  Can you only buy them at CrossFit gyms?  I have never seen them anywhere!!

Ack, major sugar cravings here! I am dead on my feet today. Didn't help that hubby wanted me to stay up with him last night to discuss business stuff (we own our own business) and then baby boy was up at 4:30. Tried to snatch a nap about 11 am but big boy was watching a movie, too loudly, and that woke me up. He threw up three times this morning, so I have to deal with that too. Also am feeling the beginning of a headache. Just writing this out here seems to be taking the edge off though. Thanks for the good vibes!

Also, I have a pork roast sitting in the fridge. I want to make it for dinner. Any tips?

This is my first Whole30. As I was reading It Starts With Food, I started eliminating things as I went - not much, just the grains and the little dairy I used the eat.  So, yesterday and today have so far been successful.  But I have not felt very great.  When I read the Time Line and saw the "Hangover" stage, I thought, this could be what's happening.  I never ate much sugar before to begin with.  

Tackling the pre workout and post workout snacks have been interesting.  I never ate before my workouts.  And for over two years I've been using pre workout energy formula and post workout recovery formula from Beachbody - I just liked the way it worked.  And I've also been having Shakeology for breakfast everyday for over 2 years.  Still, no adverse reactions, It's worked well for me.  
The hardest part is not having those things in my daily diet.  I've been feeling kind of nauseous, a little dizzy, and tired.  Could be anything causing that though, a recent cold, not enough sleep, etc...  

I'm doing this because I want to experience optimal health from whole foods, and the idea of sleeping better and waking up automatically sounds amazing to me.  I would really love to have someone going through a similar situation to talk to.  I feel like I'm eating enough, I just don't feel so great at the moment.  

I'm starting my first whole30 too.  Yesterday went pretty well, was slightly hungry all day, but didn't eat that big of meals.  Today I woke up feeling fine so far.  I had eggs with spinach for breakfast, then leftover pork chop with "best ever" braised cabbage and a big salad with avocado and veg and a hard-boiled egg.  I'm feeling full but still kindof craving something.  Tonight will be ham, cauliflower mash, and green beans.  

Good luck everyone!

Hubby and I started Whole30 number three yesterday as well. We both did our first one last January and were amazed at the results. We stayed pretty paleo over the course of the year and did a second W30 in August (I dropped out of that one 10 days in, but he completed it successfully. Given that I had to coerce him through the first one, it was pretty awesome!)

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one differs from the first. Already the process of preparing seems much less overwhelming. For those who are struggling with the cooking, it does get easier. You'll learn what recipes work for you and get into a groove (at least we did.)

My goals this time are to be better with eating within an hour of waking and pay more attention while I eat. (I'm bad about eating in front of the computer/TV/etc.) 

Good luck everyone, enjoy the ride!

Jodea,

Thanks for the encouraging words! Woke up today with a headache worse than yesterday but I have to admit I have been binging on sugar and carbs for the last month so I'm sure I deserve it! Looking forward to getting past the withdrawal stage, which I know from experience I will!

I will definitely check out your blog. I have to admit, though, I have never had parsnips nor do I have a clue what courgette is!  Safe for me is broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes and even sweet potatoes are an adventure for me. Apparently spaghetti squash is too! :)

Hope your day 2 went well!

Ha ha! Sorry, lost in translation there! Courgette is zucchini and parsnips are soooo good, you should definitely try them. They're similar to carrots and go really sweet when roasted like potatoes. I have some in the oven with my chicken roasting right now! I've never tried spaghetti squash - we get less varieties of squash on sale here in the UK - but I'd love to. Enjoy experimenting!

Day 2 has been good so far. Headache pretty much finally gone. Been a bit hungry this afternoon but think that's a mixture of my recent afternoon snack habit and perhaps not a big enough lunch... Making up for that with a roast chicken dinner!

Hey everyone, I started January 1st. I have been doing well and feeling good so far! I read almost this entire website, the ISWF book and also primal blueprint before starting. I started cutting out extra sugars and some junk in December and I'm so glad I did that, my jeans are already fitting so much better. I cant wait to see how I am doing at the end of January! I am definitely hoping to reap the weight loss benefits, and my skin is horribly red and sore and dry, so I'm hoping to get some relief from that, and I want to be calmer and have better self control with sugary foods. Good luck everyone!

Day 2!

What a day to start my monthly hooray and the cramps are worse than ever! Just fabulous...:/ I guess I get to compare in a month. I was wondering why I was so bitchy the day before... Any how today went well, made bacon and soft boiled eggs in the morning...chicken salad for lunch and a spoonful of almond butter later, taco salad with onions, garlic and avocado for dinner. Thank goodness I read the back of the taco seasoning I usually use, I realized it has a load of junk...really why does sugar need to be in taco seasoning? I'm still wondering...

Oh and hello to all the new faces, I was amazed this afternoon to find there are nearly 9 pages in this forum. Konichiwa!!!

It's exciting to know other people care about their health as much as me.

Cooper the puppy is also doing paleo with me hehe...the food is at least 3x more expensive now but he seems to be taken to it quite well.

Anytime I have been on any type of lower carb eating I instantly get my 'monthly' hooray, so I did that today too. I'm breastfeeding, though, so I think I'm a bit sensitive with hormones and hopefully I can balance out through these 30 days. Power through it! (:

Hey all,

I just started my 4th whole30 yesterday and was so pleased to find this topic. I'll go back and read through the whole thing eventually, but wanted to drop in and say hi.

I initially did a whole30 to see what cutting all of that stuff out of my diet would do for me, and ended up dropping like ten pounds and feeling amazing. My goal this time around is to recapture the complete well-being that comes along with eating this way.

Anyway that's all. I'll be recording this time around in the whole30 log section of the forum, but will continue to check in here as well.

Wishing everyone health, happiness, and all the best for the January whole30!

Archived