Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

I started on the whole 30 yesterday too. I've been eating according to the Primal Blueprint since February 2013. But the last few months have seen too much junk creeping in and then ice cream and candy feeding frenzies.  So I'm trying to clean things up and lose some chub that's creeped up on me.  I think the hardest thing will be no butter. Man, do I love Kerrygold and pasteured butter on everything. The problem is eating half a large bar a day!

I'm a runner and like to run with my 4-legged running buddy 3x a week (I'm really slow but we have fun).  I also lift upper body weights and do some overall strength work.

I'm 50 years old, female and live in Idaho

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only woke up twice to pee last night (does anyone else have this happen during the first few days?  Is it sugar detox?) hooray!  I hope tonight is even better.

I cooked some yesterday too. I am so resistant to cooking but once I start I find I actually enjoy it.  I think Robb Wolf's book (got from the library) has some really simple great recipes and ideas.  I like some of the Well Fed recipes a LOT but a lot of time it is more than I want to get involved with.  

Day 2!  I am off work (teacher) so this is a great way to start honestly.

Helen, I *think* the extra trips to the bathroom are related to a couple things- 1) eating more high water content veggies, and 2) reducing carbs. Carbs cause water retention and when we don't eat them we release that water. As you said, that also includes sugar.

Back to work today! I run a child care center and we have a big commercial kitchen to cook for the kids. We have to follow federal guidelines with what we serve, so no matter how I feel about it, we serve grain foods with every meal. Staff gets to eat too, and I had to remind myself several times today not to eat it! Like it's just my automatic response to put it in my mouth.

Just reminded me how much I eat out of sheer habit and without thinking.

Hi there -- started W30 yesterday so today is Day 2! I have tried and never really completed a W30 -- once it was a W29 and other times I've gone off the road with corn. I'm really, really, really invested in completing this time. These first two days have been really good -- really able to notice an immediate difference and pondering how I tolerate all the symptoms I have when I eat gluten, dairy and sugar....

Jessica

Well darn... I already messed up! I think since I have done a W30 before I'm not as cautious as the first time. My husband came home with a rotisserie chicken and I ate a piece before I thought to check the ingredients on the package. And they were nasty!! Sugar, brown sugar, canola oil, carrageenan. Guess I'll be starting again tomorrow. :(. And I'll be more careful from now on!

I feel great but today mentally I was having a hard time from about 1-6.  I am out of hot sauce and I wanted some on my chili and I felt deprived (and I FORGOT to get some at Trader Joes just now).  But I went out to a meeting and was glad to be out of the house.   At this point in my previous two Whole 30's I felt stoked but not physically as good.  But luckily it only lasted a few hours and passed.  I didn't expect such a mental challenge on the second day (like I was trying to figure out WHY I was doing this again and WHY I needed to eat healthy instead of just throwing the towel in and living the consequences of the S.A.D).  But I feel okay right now.  I found some compliant roast beef and I am feeling less *attached* to hot sauce (although I will remember to buy it this weekend!).

KareBear~~oh well, I plan to do at least 31 days.  I'd say just add on a few days to your Whole 30 and keep your start date!

Day 2 almost done and it went well.  Not feeling any hang over, and yesterday's headache is gone.

m1:sausage and sweet potato hash cooked in 1tbsp of coconut oil.

m2:veggie shrimp stir fry--zoodles, leftover frozen veggie blend, fire roasted tomato, a bit of tomato paste, artichoke hearts, black olives, basil, oregano, salt, pepper--tasted like pizza. 1/4 avocado on the side.

m3:baked chicken, sweet potato mashed with a bit of coconut milk, green beans.

Late supper again, starving while cooking, so to keep from bad snacking, I had a couple apple slices, 4-5 baby carrots and about 10 almonds.

Spent 3 hours at the theater working on set construction--climbing ladders, bending/stooping, lifting heavy things and painting. I'm counting it for exercise.

Need to get off the computer so I can get ready for bed in an hour.

M1: sweet potato hash with ground beef topped with 2 fried eggs

Snack: raisins, coconut flakes, and almonds

M2: beef ribs, salad with avocado and olive oil, banana

Snack: decaf with canned coconut milk

M3: pork roast with rutabaga, asparagus, kale, couple apple slices, a whole grapefruit for dessert.

Wow, I knew I was eating a lot of fruit but writing it down really puts it into perspective.

Also, I am breast feeding twins almost exclusively (they eat some solids but not much). Am I allowed more fruit?

Day 2....Headache today. (This happened for 5 days or so my first whole30) I can deal. Worked out today (wod and I ran 3 miles) without any issues. I forgot about bacon until I was reading all of these posts. How could I forget about bacon? I need to go pick up approved bacon!!! Woohooo. Today I stocked the fridge with a whole bunch of ready to go snack sized bags of various veggies, some fruit, and nuts. I work full time. My kids are 19 (in college in another state) 16, and 13, so they are pretty helpful. My husband is doing his version of cleaning up his diet. Different program, but making healthy choices together is great. Good to see everyone. Awesome to read all the good important stuff in one place. Onward to day 3.....

M1: sweet potato hash with ground beef topped with 2 fried eggs

Snack: raisins, coconut flakes, and almonds

M2: beef ribs, salad with avocado and olive oil, banana

Snack: decaf with canned coconut milk

M3: pork roast with rutabaga, asparagus, kale, couple apple slices, a whole grapefruit for dessert.

Wow, I knew I was eating a lot of fruit but writing it down really puts it into perspective.

Also, I am breast feeding twins almost exclusively (they eat some solids but not much). Am I allowed more fruit?

If you are nursing, you should definitely be eating an extra meal or two, but make sure your snacks are more like "mini meals" with a protein, a fat, and veggies. Try to rely on starchy vegetables like plantains, sweet potatoes, and root veggies like turnips, rutabagas, and parsnips rather than lots of fruit for extra carbs. If you do eat fruit, eat it as part of a meal, not by itself.

Karebear - usually a moderator chimes in by now but I haven't seen anyone on this board yet.  I wonder if what you ate merits a re-start or just a "be more careful".

As for me, I did well today, as did the kids.  M1 was spinach and fried eggs; M2 was a turkey burger with tomatoes and no bun; M3 was Melissa Joulwan's best chicken you'll ever eat - which it is.  My kids gobbled it up.  I made the Morroccan dipping sauce which was to die for.  And Sunshine Sauce, which is delicious.

Karebear - usually a moderator chimes in by now but I haven't seen anyone on this board yet.  I wonder if what you ate merits a re-start or just a "be more careful".

As for me, I did well today, as did the kids.  M1 was spinach and fried eggs; M2 was a turkey burger with tomatoes and no bun; M3 was Melissa Joulwan's best chicken you'll ever eat - which it is.  My kids gobbled it up.  I made the Morroccan dipping sauce which was to die for.  And Sunshine Sauce, which is delicious.

The official word is that carrageenan merits  a restart. Didn't chime in before as Karebear made the right call on her own.  :)

You guys are all doing great! :D

Karebear - I'm sure a mod will see this at some point, but I'd personally recommend a restart due to the carrageenan, it makes my insides do hoola hoops, but I never noticed until I got rid of it during my first Whole30. You're only a few days in, so just add some extra days at the end. Don't be discouraged, I also thought chickens were just made out of chicken ;) If you're looking for a good chicken roasting recipe, NomNomPaleo has a great one with the best tip of all, roast two chickens at once! Same effort, double the output :D Also gives you plenty of bones for making bone broth.

Helen - I love hot sauce too. Original Frank's Red Hot is compliant, as are some of the Louisiana ones. Awesome with chicken wings or pulled pork :D

2babies2kidsmom - I second the plantains, sweet potato and extra mini meals approach. You can have extra fruit, but it's easy to wake the sugar dragon and it can be rough on your stomach too with all the extra fructose. Make sure you're getting enough protein and fat, gotta lotta work going on feeding twins :D You can eat as much as you need to not be hungry, don't be afraid to have extra meals if you need them.

Hey all

Day 2 done and it was back to work today.  I felt pretty good and fell into the old W30 routine pretty well.   I got to have a whole avocado on my salad at lunch (with chicken breast leftovers from day one).  I did not even eat all the food I brought for the day at work.  My family wanted fish and chips tonight for dinner so I picked it up for them (with pop) on my way home from work.  I had organic, pasure-fed saussage (no sugar added), a big salad and a coffee for dinner.  Not even tempted by the chips smell!!!

Being my fifth time through the W30 program, it really helps to know the rules and simply follow the program.  Not weighing myself used to be a big issue but I am OK now with a scale vacation for 30+ days.

Helen... I don't know about the RxBars at Crossfit boxes.  On the RxBars website, there were a few crossfit box owners that commented on the popularity of the bars at their gyms but I don't know how representative they are of the crossfit community.  I know when I went to the Whole30 nutrition workshop in Toronto last fall, they had just recently been "endorsed" and the instructors spoke highly of them.  Based on this recommendation, I took the leap and ordered two boxes for myself when I needed an easy meal option on the go.  Nice to see a friendly face here as we were in the summer 2012 group together!

Cheers

DJ

Well darn... I already messed up! I think since I have done a W30 before I'm not as cautious as the first time. My husband came home with a rotisserie chicken and I ate a piece before I thought to check the ingredients on the package. And they were nasty!! Sugar, brown sugar, canola oil, carrageenan. Guess I'll be starting again tomorrow. :(. And I'll be more careful from now on!

Oh, bless you! As others have said, tag a couple of days on. It's so easy to forget these little things The same happened to me with almond milk on my first W30 - it had carageenan in. Bah!

Made a nice batch of chicken stock in the crockpot overnight, although can't say I massively enjoyed dealing with chicken bones at 6am today. Still, it will be worth it. Homemade stock is so good.

Off to work today... No doubt lots of 'treats' will be there. Must remember they don't make me feel good, so how can that be a treat?!

Good luck for day three all.

Anytime I have been on any type of lower carb eating I instantly get my 'monthly' hooray, so I did that today too. I'm breastfeeding, though, so I think I'm a bit sensitive with hormones and hopefully I can balance out through these 30 days. Power through it! (:

I have the exact same problem, despite being on the pill.

Jodea- Abel and Cole sells spaghetti squash, but I'm not sure of the growing season and how often they have it.

KareBear- There's a lovely carrot and parsnip puree on the nomnompaleo website

I'm on a language course today and tomorrow, which includes a free lunch and probably biscuits during the tea breaks. No idea what the lunch includes (so long as it's not curry I doubt I'll be tempted by anything, most British buffets don't much interest me).  I thought about calling to ask, but decided it would be easier to just bring my own food and not stress about it.

Busy two days for me now though, so won't be getting much food prep done ahead of time.  Luckily we have an inset day at school Monday, so I'll have Sunday and Monday to get things sorted for next week.

Good Luck to everyone for Day 3. 

Day 3 Bloody mess!

I'm hanging in there but seriously mother nature, what's your deal? Haven't wanted to eat but forced the 3 meals in anyhow...worst period by far but I'm really quite sure it's because I stopped taking the pill last month. That must be it, but by all means tomorrow needs to be better, or I'm gonna have to chow down on some red meat for the next week! Luckily my work was nice and let me go home, honestly I would have ran out the door either way ;) At least other girlies are having the same issue and I'm not the only one.

M1 3 soft boiled eggs, and prosciutto (yucky, prosciutto tastes so gross for such a fancy name)

M2 left over taco meat, onions and garlic, salsa and lettuce and avocado on top

M3 cooked shrimp with bean sprouts, zucchini, spinach salad with olive oil and almond butter 2 spoonfuls (can easily over do almond butter so I need to set limits fo sho)

* not doing fruit and seems to be much easier than I thought *

Hopefully tomorrow goes well! Looks like I'm on duty for 12 terrific hours of answering the phone and sitting there bored to pieces. I'll probably be on the forum most of the day if I can help it!!!

Semper Fortis

Day 3 Bloody mess!

I'm hanging in there but seriously mother nature, what's your deal? Haven't wanted to eat but forced the 3 meals in anyhow...worst period by far but I'm really quite sure it's because I stopped taking the pill last month. That must be it, but by all means tomorrow needs to be better, or I'm gonna have to chow down on some red meat for the next week! Luckily my work was nice and let me go home, honestly I would have ran out the door either way ;) At least other girlies are having the same issue and I'm not the only one.

M1 3 soft boiled eggs, and prosciutto (yucky, prosciutto tastes so gross for such a fancy name)

M2 left over taco meat, onions and garlic, salsa and lettuce and avocado on top

M3 cooked shrimp with bean sprouts, zucchini, spinach salad with olive oil and almond butter 2 spoonfuls (can easily over do almond butter so I need to set limits fo sho)

* not doing fruit and seems to be much easier than I thought *

Hopefully tomorrow goes well! Looks like I'm on duty for 12 terrific hours of answering the phone and sitting there bored to pieces. I'll probably be on the forum most of the day if I can help it!!!

Semper Fortis

Make sure to have 1-3 cups of veggies at each meal. Dinner looked good, lunch is unclear and breakfast had none. Also have an appropriate healthy fat at each meal: breakfast seemed to miss out?

Noted...thank you I'll work on this, it's hard for me to swallow down breakfast. What other fats should I do for breakfast? Aren't eggs a good source?

Eggs do contain fat, however they are primarily a protein source on a Whole30.

Many options for fat at breakfast: ghee or clarified butter on top of vegetables, coconut milk or coconut oil in your coffee or tea, olives in a  frittata, veg muffin or omelette, paleo mayo on a sweet potato, sliced avocado alongside your veggies.

Noted...thank you I'll work on this, it's hard for me to swallow down breakfast. What other fats should I do for breakfast? Aren't eggs a good source?

I have a hard time with breakfast if I have to eat it early (I eat within an hour after waking usually which I read is okay in ISWF).  I typically have eggs and olive tapenade (check ingredients but many compliant, Trader Joes has a great one in their cooler section that is just olives!) or leftover grilled meat and guac or olive tapenade.  I also use whole coconut milk in my coffee which is a good source of fat.  

I will say this again and again but in my previous two Whole 30s I did not start feeling satiated until I included the fat (even just a few olives).  Relying on what I'm cooking in really wasn't enough for me.  I would be hungry two hours after eating without the fat especially in the morning.  Two days a week I teach three classes back to back with one 15 minute break in the middle (after 4 hours).  This really showed me how important eating breakfast in the right proportions was.  If I ate 3 eggs (my hand holds 2.5 so I round up on these days) and the right fat and a lot of veggies I felt fine and almost had to force lunch.  If I ate 2 eggs or forgot the fat then I was hungry half way in.  Eat your fat!  :)  My service announcement.  After many, many years of 'restrictive dieting' where I was taught 'fat is bad' this was a hard lesson for me!

Day 3 and I feel AWFUL!!!  I had a good breakfast, but then was hit with waves of nausea (to the point of dry heaving...sorry if TMI).  Am still confident in my eating plan for the day if I can get through feeling like crap. 

Breakfast today:  3 scrambled eggs w/coconut oil, sun dried tomatoes, basil & spinach

sauteed apple slices w/cinnamon

1/2 avocado

coffee w/coconut oil

Anyone else feeling my pain?!

Day Three and I have a case of the bitchies.  Physically, I feel great - even better than the first time I tried a Whole30 on Day Three (although I only made it 21 days in that first attempt).  A joint twinge I felt constantly in my left wrist is almost gone completely - guessing it's sugar or gluten that triggers that pain?  However, my mood is awful, but in this weirdly specific way: instead of being short-tempered and grumpy, I'm totally affable, just full of complaints, from how hard my lip balm is to open to how angry I am at the news on NPR. There was a lot of talking back to the radio this A.M.!  Anyway, it's not normal for me and I am chalking it up to the effects of the program.

Another interesting thing I discovered was how much I overeat if I let myself get HONGRAY.  Last night the snow in our area slowed us down on the way home, so we had dinner about 30 minutes later than I planned.  Once the food got on my plate I hoovered it up.  I need to make sure to eat before I get that FOOD NOW feeling so that I can control the pace of my eating.

Meals have been great, though - last night was paleo mini-meatloves with kale, mushroom, and carrot in them, plus steamed green beans with ghee.  We had blueberries and some coconut cream with cinnamon after.  This morning I had crustless quiche with zuke and carrot in it, topped with salsa and half an avocado.  I also split an orange with my son, to encourage his fruit eating (he eats most veg, but only eats fruit that he deems sufficiently "juicy" (?)).  Now that I am at my office, I am having my daily broth which is helping me warm up from the frigid temps outside.  To all who live in the Northeast and are affected by the snowstorm, good luck out there!

Archived