Cymbalta (anxiety, depression)

Cici

I've been on Cymbalta for a bout a year and really do feel better on it. It does coincide with my recent weight gain and frustrations in trying to lose weight. My PCP says there is a low incidence of weight gain on this med, but my counselor says she has had several clients (and herself) gain weight when taking Cymbalta. Has anyone here taken Cymbalta and experienced weight gain?  And does Whole30 help you lose associated weight?

Cici

I have been on this medication and I also gained weight whilst on it as it made me want to eat.  I wasnt probably eating the right kind of food which wouldnt have helped tho.  I think it has to be worth a go, i am no longer on these meds but for me doing the whole 30 did improve my mental wellbeing as well as my physical welll being.

Its a positive action to take that will help you to look after yourself.  Give it a go and good luck x

I don't know about Cymbalta specifically, but for some medications which can trigger weight gains, some people find ketogenic or lower carb consumption helps tip the balance back to even. 

I'd try the regular Whole30 first, as it's also good for inflammation, which can help a lot of people with weight loss, as well as general health. My arthritis is pretty much gone.

I had a follow up with my GI doc yesterday and asked her about the Cymbalta.  She said it does have a low incidence of weight gain but it also could be contributing to my constipation (sorry - TMI).  I called and got an appt with my pcp for next week to talk to her about it more. 

Cici

I have been struggling with a similar issue and was contemplating posting on this forum.

I did Whole30 last winter, and with little to no weight to lose, I lost weight. Maintaining just fine, BOOM,  curtailed my exercise routine severely 3 or months later, early June, due to a bike accident head trauma/body injury. I happily maintained my mental clarity (relatively speaking)  and weight through staying compliant. September brought some challenges and my neurologist put me on amatriptoline (elavil family) antidepressant/anti anxiety. I did not question anything meanwhile noticing weight gain, my clothes barely fit and I had to buy new ones. Trying to stay compliant meanwhile, I am bingeing like I have NEVER experienced in my life, and eating more.

My last appointment neuro dr.  felt I was not where I should be and wanted to place me on different meds. I left the office headed into Thanksgiving and ended up taking myself off the meds. (fearful of what I would do to my brain/body) but I did not agree with her diagnosis.

I recommitted that day to staying compliant and within one day felt better. Mental acuity, energy back (meds tired me out)...

I am not sure I am offering anything but my experience. I web searched the drug I am on, and though "studies" say 25% or less people experience weight gain, all the anecdotes I read, almost all of the people posting experiencing weight gain. The question I have and other posed was does the med slow down your metabolism, or are you just hungrier and eat more (one person said her brain sensor of when to stop was dulled-may explain my binging).

I think the meds messed with my system because though I may have eaten a bit more fat or protein (and enough veggies) as per recommended, it was certainly not enough extra food gain 8 pounds in less than 3 months. Something else was going on.

I was afraid to go off the medicine. About 4 weeks now off the medicine I am less symptomatic than when ON the medicine. The medicines helped me through a tough time,  however, have left other issues to face, primarily for me getting to back to a comfortable weight. Today was the first time I weighed myself since after the accident in June- and though I knew my clothes did not fit, I was surpised. I think people's bodily responses to the meds and the Whole30 are all going to be different- I am clearly looking now for weight loss through whole30, however fear the medications impacted my system and it will take longer than I realize.

As for constipation, the elavil did dehydrate me. No matter how much water I drank! Medical professionals have advised hydrate well as a means to combat constipation. In the middle of all this I felt "regular", however through xrays of my spine, discovered my colon was full of fecal matter.Really? I wasn't moving my bowels adequately?  I start every morning off with a full glass of water! Constipation (with two children on occasion affected by it as well) is  a tricky thing! But I suggest lots of water!

Archived