Starting Whole 40 tomorrow

ThomasE

Runs from tomorrow 12/23 to January 31st.  I realize it's the holidays but I am determined to find creative ways to eat Whole 30 over next 9 days and have fun doing it.  Then January is 31days of Whole 30 with emphasis on leaner meats, LOTS of veggies and a little fruit/nuts.  Excited to get going!! Who's in?  

I'm in!!!!  Well you put it THAT way it very enticing way to start off the New Year!! :) So come February the "getting through the FIRST WEEK will be long gone...sounds like a win win. Truth is a part of me was saying awww just wait until after Christmas....etc. BUT lately I have been just a tad out of control....3 days paleo to a T then 1 day...of just about anything goes. So as a dear friend once said....

Change can take place at any time...

an I say...Why not now....???

There is ALWAYS going to be an event...holiday...break up...flat tires...great days to celebrate. There is one thing I have discovered about myself I can be MORE present with the ones I love when I am not focused on the food...and the "last of xyz..." for a while. 

I like your idea Kansas...getting creative! I accept the pre-and post Holiday challenge!!! Great idea...I'll count tomorrow as Day one...you have to keep checking in though....deal??? 

Be well & feel well

Grandma Carolyn

Deal!  Today is technically Day 1 but I actually ended up being 100% compliant yesterday so it looks like it will be 41 days :-).

I look forward to January 1st.  All of the early struggles will be gone and then all of the gains of FEELING GREAT will be here (based on my previous experiences).  I have completed two whole 30's in the past only to eventually backslide into poor habits.  Part of my decision to go 40 days versus 30 starting January 1st was I just couldn't take it anymore.  I feel terrible.  I am so tired of being on the yo-yo of good and bad health.  This 40 days is about putting a stake in the ground.  I am done.  Done cheating me.  I am done allowing food to dictate my life.  Done!

Well stated....I am in the same situation. I am very happy to report that I stayed on track all day...despite all the home made goodies at work today. I am home now chicken & veggies w butternut squash. I didn't do any sort of exersise today...so tomorrow I will at lease get some sort of heart elevation going... :) I do like the idea of the 40 days...40 days and 40 nights...hmmm. I think a lot can be accomplished. 

Thanks to your idea I dumped the remainder of the crap I was eating in the trash (that was so not helping). I do know in my heart I will feel better not eating the stuff that makes me feel yucky...I have done some serious backsliding myself. Almost embassased to say....BUT no time time for beating myself up. Today has been a pretty fantastic day...a day of good choices and reaching out! yay!

Stay strong Kansas!! :) 

Grandma Carolyn

Day one (check)  

Great job Carolyn!!

Day 1 (well actually day 2) done!! Bison casserole for breakfast...skipped lunch...and bought a veggie tray on the way home from work.  Definitely ate way more veggies than normal with a dinner of hamburgers, avacado and mustard (simple but tasty).

Can't wait for Tuesday (Christmas Eve)!!!

Feeling pretty good this morning...I slept so much better last night than the night before. Spent the morning writting Christmas cards for my co-workers. Planning on leaving work early today to make a vat of veggie soup...and continue to toss and sort my "yoga" room which has turned into the dumping ground of paperwork. (Not to mention I had to toss my yoga mat...thanks to one of my dogs) My goal is to get my home a little more organized b/f the next semester starts on January 8th.

Baby steps...and getting there. Thank you again for the boost I needed. I really like the idea of welcoming the New Year feeling a whole lot better...yay!! Happy I made the decision to join you and not wait until.....????

Have a great day!   

Christmans Eve is here!!! :D

Day 3 is here!  Feeling pretty good.  Still notice myself open the frig all the time to search for things to eat.  I think it's just habit.  Definitely noticing the sleep thing too.  I am very committed to the 40 days!! A little work today, a quick workout and then celebrate Christmas Eve.  

Happy Christmas Eve! Great job to you too!!! Day two (check).

This day has been a jam packed blessed day. Work...home...Christmas cards...visiting & delivering cards and doggie treats to neighbors & their pets. Took one of my dogs for a nice brisk walk...so nice!! Made it up North to visit my old church friends (where I needed to be) and was mentally and physically present for the Christmas Eve service. 

I am happy to say..I took some rather disappointing news and turned it around...to a win win situation. So tomorrow morning BRIGHT & early I will be taking care of a few things at home then heading up North again to bring my Son & daughter in law and my two granddaughters their Christmas gifts. (that was not the original plan...but I made it work) yay!!!  Best of all I ate well all day..and even got my 10,000 steps in... :) .

Have a very Merry Christmas 

Blessed Grandma Carolyn!!

Merry Christmas Kansas!!! (hope you doin't mind the nick name) :) Day three for me...and I feel great!! Had a very refreshing walk with my dogs this morning...I'm ready to be present...in fact I believe taking care of ourselves is the best present ever!!!

My belief is...when I do the best I can for myself...I am more available for the ones I love! Utt got to go...hair color rinse time...I may be a grandmother BUT not ready to go grey just yet... :D 

Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Thank you again for the much needed boost!!!

Grandma Carolyn

Day 5!! Yesterday was more difficult than I thought it was going to be...guess I was foolish to think Christmas day would be easy.  But I made it.  Watching my kids eat white chocolate covered pretzels almost killed me...but I made it.  Got home late last night and enjoyed a grilled chicken breast, guac and mustard.  Day done.

On to today.  Work then workout.  Breakfast of bison casserole.  :D

Hope you had a great Christmas Carolyn!

I had a bit of an oopsie BUT that does not disregard the fact that I had a fantastic Christmas Day and evening....I enjoyed every minute of it. Staying 100% was admittingly a bit of a challenge. All went very very well untill Christmas dinner at my sisters. Which is sort of a funny story...see I have Meniere's Disease...so I am on a very limited sodium intake (if I have too much salt I get a episode of horrible vertigo) So lucky for me MOST of the food choices were immediately eliminated. I brought a HUGE green salad..and she prepared broccoli rabe...and that just about sums up the "paleo acceptable" foods. So between paleo and sodium restriction...it was a very GREEN Christmas!!! ;) generally I have ALWAYS made it work...I felt like I would be causing a bit of drama...if I piled on the greens...and ingnored  everything else. Ok so this IS rationalization at its best...lol...(hard to ingnore the truth).

Bottom line...of the 24 hours of Christmas I am happy to say that 98.9% of my Christmas was paleo approved...but definitely NOT 100%. 

So yes...it IS Day ONE again for me...rationalization or not...it was helpful that I wasn't going off roading and got stuck in the mud so to speak. Today is a new day...and I am basking in gratidude and how much I completely enjoyed my Christmas with my family. Am I disappointed in myself???...yes. Is it the end of the world???...NO WAY. Even a few days of clean eating allowed me to accomplish what I needed to get done in preparation for Christmas...and I didn't hermit away...and have an anything goes eating frenzie.

I'll get it back...so I commit for today on the road to clean eating... :) 

Hope you had a fantastic Christmas...I feel like I let you down...BUT I have a very strong feeling...you (and many others) get it..and completely understand. 

Boot straps!!! yay!! :D 

Have a blessed day!!

Grandma Carolyn         

Carolyn, you didn't let me down at all.  The initial 9 days in my mind is preparation for the 31 days in January.  As I said in my post yesterday was very hard.  Hopefully you are still in for the duration (today until the end of January).  And yes, I changed my display name...although Kansas is still fine.  :)

Hey Kansas!!! (ThomasE is a little easier than the former... ;) ) Great job!!! Wow...death by white chocolate covered pretzels...what a way to go... ;)  very impressive you stayed strong...you are an inspiration! (seriously!!!) Yes I am most definitely in for the remainder of the duration...I can not think of a better way to welcome the New Year. In fact going to run around and tidy up the house a bit...then go the the book store and get the "It starts with food" book...this bison casserole...where can I get the recipe? I'm curious. Can you suggest a good pre & post w/o meal...I've been squashed on the whey protein. 

A beautiful day ONE in New Jersey!

Have a great day ThomasE

Grandma Carolyn

Bison casserole is easy.  Well, that is assuming you can find bison sausage.  We have a local company that makes compliant sausage.  You layer a shallow casserole pan with mashed sweet potatoes (2-3 medium sized pricked and nuked for 5 min), then add cooked sausage and then 8-10 eggs poured over top.  Cook for around 20-30 minutes.  It's important to watch it starting at 20 min to not under or over cook.

As for pre and post workout meals I am not any expert.  This is my third whole 30 and I have found that once I get past the initial first few days I am a 3 meals a day guy.  I will very occasionally snack (usually macademia nuts).  As for working out...I have been doing the stronglifts 5 by 5 workout for a few months and it's great.  It is a monday, wednesday, friday workout schedule.  Starting Monday for the remainder of our challenge I am adding in a hour of elliptical for five days a week.  Really want to see how fit I can get in 40 days...well for a 47 yr old  :)

Awesome!! Keep the inspiration coming!! Stronglifts...sounds intense...sounds intriguing. Ok I'm double in!!! I have been a bit lax in my workout routine (somewhat of an understatement... :) )   I have discovered the same thing...once I get rolling I am a 3 meals a day gal...just that I usually eat a pre-run / or pre-wt/wo meal...then a blender mush combo of veggies (now minus the whey protein) and a small green apple post w/o. That usually holds me until noon.

I am going to venture to my local WFs and look for the bison sausage...if it is high in sodium I'm going to pass. I bet that bison dish holds your hunger at bay for a while...serious protein...sounds like a perfect w/o recovery meal. :D 

Going to crash early tonight...feeling a tad tuckered. It has been a great day...thank you once again for the inspiration!! I know what I need to do to get back in my groove...get up and start moving. This 45 year old Grandma...ain't gonna be sittin n' knitting...maybe a Spring marathon??  I'm with ya on the fit in 40 days. yay!!!

Stay strong KC  

Grandma Carolyn

Carolyn, look at the two workout sites I posted below.  The Staci story from Nerd Fitness is very inspiring and the Stronglifts site is a great how-to (the guy on the videos is kind of, well, interesting)...both are great reads.  Enjoy!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

WOW....it just keeps getting better Kansas!! Suddenly I'm not so sleepy anymore!!! :D What an inspiration! I read most of Staci's story...and watched the squatting video. Soooo I guess my little free weights don't exactly stack up...so to speak. I think I'm about to be bitten by the fitness Guru bug!!??  You may have very well created a KC groupie! Do you do your w/o at home? or go to a gym? I bet my runs would be EFFORTLESS with that kind of workout!! 

I'm even more intrigued. uuuutoooh.... :P

Hey 40 days for me brings me to February 3rd. This is pretty awesome!!! 

Thank you ThomasE

Keep squating strong!!! Funny reference to babies and how they squat naturally w hip joint below the knee...I gave my youngest granddaughter a ball that lights up...perfect size for her little 15 month hand...BUT the funniest is when she tried to sit on it...and make it bounce...well my point here is...she squatted properly!!! yay. My wt routine includes squats...BUT max weight is 40lbs...3 sets of 15-25 (depending on time and fitness level) My entire wt routine takes about 2 hours...I bet I can improve upon that with a w/o like yours. Gosh the possibilities are JUST endless!!!

Absolutely!! I am also feeling super motivated!! I revisited both links...reading about form and the 5x5. I have been lifting for years...I always noticed my weight training gave me the most bang for my buck. My runs improved...but when I would push my speed I was prone to injury. I am super curious about deadlifting (is that what it is called?)

Another story...in 2010 I was in my Mediterranean (beans & megga dairy) dietary phase. It was ok..but my body would rebel on occasion...and my strength training was eh. I was not eating enough protein...and WAY too many beans & yougurt...etc. So I looked into a book I purchased about 3 years earlier and re-read "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel. This time I actually read it and followed it...I noticed (after the first 3 weeks) my runs were the best in YEARS!!! So I in fact have been following a Paleo life for about 3 years...then in September I fell flat on my face...and have been slowly dusting myself off...and getting back on the horse!  :D 

So why am I sharing this??? Excellent question!! I was going to a "crossfit (sorta) gym" in 2010 (to get ready for my #?? marathon in Maine) I worked with my trainers Vanessa & Brian (who now have branched out on their own...and appear to be very successful) One day I was at the gym doing my little weight routine and Brian was there with another trainee...SHE was lifting this enormous dumbell...FIRST thing I said to myself is I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO DO THAT!!! :) BUT when I returned from my race (which was amazing!!) 2 weeks later my Dad died :( ...and the "crossfit (sorta) gym" closed. I continued to race and marathon...and returned to my simple little free weight routine.

Soooo...Kansas, the timing could not be more perfect! I have the time now to set the stage (took a couple of vacation days off from work...and have 13 more days of LIFE before school starts again on the 8th) Clearly I have been doing things the harder way...truth is it does NOT take much to motivate me...and learning how to improve my food and training through this forum has been a blessing!!

Thank you and thank you  W30!!!

Have a great day!!

Stay strong...and squat stronger... :D Kansas...KC....ThomasE

Day two for me...right where I need to be...progress!!  

I am sorry to hear about your Dad.

You seem like a very motivated person.  I went to Crossfit from late in 2010 to late in 2012.  I enjoyed it but found myself getting pretty banged up by trying to keep up with guys 20-25 years younger than me.  Not fun.  I have since built a Crossfit gym in my basement and follow my Stronglifts mon/wed/fri routine.  I need to add in the WOD (workout of the day) portion into my workout but haven't so far. Crossfit.com is a great resource for videos and workouts.

Hope your weather in Jersey is as nice as our weather here in KC.  Sunny and 50!!

Archived