Vitamin D

whatjosaid

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 54 of my extended W30. I have had a lazy thyroid for many years and recent blood tests showed that it's getting less lazy the longer I continue with W30. This is brilliant, however, my vitamin D levels are low apparently. Living in the UK, this is hardly surprising, but I wondered if anyone could recommend a compliant supplement? I'm currently only taking fish oil and magnesium (both compliant brands). 

Thank you and happy holidays!  :)

Jo. 

There are lots of compliant vitamin d brands out there now, but I don't know what brands are available in the UK, so it is hard to recommend. I would just go to a co-op or health food store you trust, and read labels on the bottles. Look for a liquid supplement (dropper or capsules) vs a pill. Check to make sure the liquid they use is ok (mine has olive oil--avoid those with soy or other non-compliant oils).

I know getting my vitamin D levels up made a huge difference for my health, I hope the same for you.

• 1 year later...

Hi Tom (or any other moderator), I know you recommend NOW as a D3 supplement and have replied to previous posts confirming the glycerin in it is acceptable. Does this apply to all other supplements as well? I see it as an ingredient in a number of vitamin supplements, but glycerin does appear on the Whole30 Sneaky Sugars list under Sugar Alcohols. I'm confused. Thanks in advance!

And as a follow up question, what is the advantage of a liquid vs pill form? Thanks.

from what I understand, the D3 in liquid is more bioavailable. I've also found it is more likely to be compliant (tablets have more ingredients). Liquid in a dropper or liquid in a soft gel  both work.

I was also wondering about the glycerin situation. My husband and I are looking into beginning vitamin D (he already takes some but his has glycerin - we would like a whole30 compliant, best health option vitamin D) and it seems various forums on this site say either glycerin is ok or it is not. Could it be confirmed whether a vitamin D supplement with glycerin is ok or not? Thank you!

I'm a little confused then as to why Tom is recommending a brand that contains Glycerin. I get we are all on different paths and at different stages in our Whole30 but why is a moderator recommending a brand that contains glycerin without at least a warning that it is not Whole30 compliant? 

• Administrators

Hey guys, the official word from Robin Strathdee is that glycerin is not permitted on the Whole30.  Tom's recommendation may have come before there was an official stance on glycerin.

Great, thank you for clarifying! Would it be possible to get some recommendations for Vitamin D supplements that are approved? Or is there already a article on the site that addresses Whole30 supplements that addresses this topic? Thanks so much!

Looking at the brand that Tom recommended, it seems that the glycerin is part of the soft gel itself. Not sure what else these could be made of and still be edible. Maybe that is where the confusion is coming from.

NOW makes a liquid vitamin D-3 in a dropper bottle (the filling of the gel-caps without the gel-cap). I think that is a pretty good option. Just make sure the carrier oil is MCT or Olive Oil, not Rice Bran Oil, etc. 

EDIT: this is the same stuff CottageQueen mentions above...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I take a multi vit, D3, Vit C, Resveratrol, Omega's, Cal/Mag/Zinc, B-Complex daily. I'm on Day 2 and just checked the labels of the supplements and most of them contain at least one "non compliant Whole 30" ingredient such as "glycerin" and "rice bran oil". If I continue taking these during Whole 30, how much of an impact would it be on the overall goal of eliminating the "five food groups"?

Rice is a known gut disruptor. Rice bran oil is obviously made from rice. Rice is a grain and off plan. Glycerin is a sugar alcohol and also off plan.

Can you get a compliant multi vit? Or forgo the multi-vit for the 30days? You may find that with eating a wholesome diet rich in nutrients that you won't have need of the supplements.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Tom, or Anyone, is this compliant D3.

Supplement Facts Serving Size 1 Capsule   Amount Per Serving % Daily Value   Vitamin D (as D3 Cholecalciferol) 5,000 IU 1,250%   **Daily Value not established.  

Directions: For adults, take one (1) capsule daily, preferably with a meal. 

Other Ingredients: Vegetable Cellulose, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate. No Articial Color, Flavor or Sweetener, No Preservatives, No Sugar, No Starch, No Milk, No Lactose, No Soy, No Gluten, No Wheat, No Yeast, No Fish. Sodium Free. 

WARNING: If you are pregnant, nursing, taking any medications or have any medical condition, consult your doctor before use. Discontinue use and consult your doctor if any adverse reactions occur. Keep out of reach of children. Store at room temperature. Do not use if seal under cap is broken or missing.

I've been reading lately that it is always better to combine Vitamin D with Vitamin K for absorption reasons. Any thoughts on this?

Very old post but this doesn't make much sense to me. Some people who need extra D can't take extra K. There's also two kinds of K, plain K and K2 which are radically different. Anyone with thick or thin blood should talk to their doctor before taking any Vitamin K.

• 1 year later...

Archived