coconut aminos vs soy sauce

danago

I get that I need to use coconut aminos, but It's a drive for me to get to the store that sells them, and is expensive....we use a good bit of it! How "bad" is soy sauce? I understand the reason beans and processed foods are not healthfu, but how much does this come into play with soy sauce?

Soy is actually a little different than your regular old legume and something you want to avoid. It contains compounds called phytoestrogens that, though the research on is varied, seems to wreck havoc with sex hormones (longer, more painful menstrual cycles for women, lower sperm count and breast tissue development for men) and some research suggests it can compromise your immune system. It's touched on in the whole30 success guide. Also over 90% of soy is genetically modified and there's a growing body of evidence pointing to the fact that this is no bueno!

Like Johnny said, there are many reasons not to eat soy, but it's the GMO idea that really, really disturbs me. Do you want to eat something that has been impregnated with a virus with the goal of changing it at the DNA level? I don't.

• 3 weeks later...

Among the previously-mentioned problems with soy sauce, it most often has a monster dose of MSG, which is pretty ugly stuff in any quantity. While we will sometimes accept "contaminated" food at restaurants (unexpected cheese on a salad, etc.), we do NOT use soy sauce. Like, ever. Whether you do, of course, is up to you, but that's our take on things. As previously mentioned, you can buy it online, and it doesn't require refrigeration, so perhaps buy a few bottles for the pantry.

• 5 weeks later...

My family uses a lot of soy sauce, though we try to get the gluten free organic stuff when we can afford to. Coconut aminos sound like they'd be a good swap, except for the sweet part. Can not not not choke down sweet stuff on savory food. Are there any brands that aren't sweet?

• 2 weeks later...

what exactly are coconut aminos??? What is it used for?

I can't help you much on this pgun3, as I can't get coconut aminos anywhere here (I'm in Ireland) but from what I've read here, people use it as a substitute for soy sauce, say in a stir fry or that type of dish. I'd love to try it myself, if I could get my hands on some!

you can buy coconut aminos in bulk from amazon, which gets it delivered to your door. No driving involved:)

we use it for making our own jerky and love it.

Krisyplumm, Would you be willing to share your jerky recipe? :)

to be honest. all we did, was cut the meat really thin, put it in ziplock back, added coconut aminos and let sit overnight (or longer) in the fridge and then take out and put on the dehydrator. It was our first try and it was delicious. I think the meat took about 6hours til it was "jerky".

We just looked at different jerkey recipes. Paleo and Non-paleo, but I saw, that some had things in there, that were not very paelo like. so, we decided to see, how it worked with the aminos and it was good. next Time, I will probably let the meat soak for about 24hours and add some pepper and sea salt possibly. All trial and error :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived