jennor

The basics:

When: Starting on December 27th

How: This time I am pulling out all the stops. i am baring my soul in here in a daily log of food, exercise, thoughts and feelings. I am also joining the "Starting Jan 6th" thread for support. And finally, I am shelling out for the daily emails.

Why: I have ulcerative colitis. I was diagnosed in 2007 and have been on immunosuppressant therapy ever since. I was flaring badly last spring and my gastro-entherologist suggested surgery to remove my entire colon. After researching my options I decided I needed to try to heal myself, and really give it 100% effort. At the time I was eating a SED (standard european diet) and a ton of sugar. On July 1st I embarked on a Whole14 and I have been strict paleo ever since. I did another Whole14 in Nov-Dec. In between I have been pretty strict, but with some SWYPO. My offroading is chocolate. Usually the really dark stuff, but I have eaten the occasional milk chocolate too. I feel like I turn to chocolate a bit too often after a stressful day. Once the kids are in bed I feel like I need a little chocolate and a de-caf to process my day. I want to make this less of a habit and more of a choice, if you know what I mean?

I live in Sweden, married, two kids. More later, kiddos are screaming! :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day -1

Wednesday Dec 25th 2013

Sleep: About 8 hours, but broken up multiple times. Both kids were up a few times each, plus my Mum was coughing like crazy in the guestroom. Felt pretty tired and not in a very good mood when I woke up.

Food:

Breakfast: 3 eggs w/ hot sauce, coffee w/ coconut milk

Lunch: sweetpotato hash w/bacon, slice of ham, sallad

Snack: half an orange (emergency food on the go with the kids)

Dinner: roasted turkey, sweetpotato "fries", cabbage, sallad, 2 paleo double chocolate cookies, de-caf w/ coconut milk

Snack: a couple of homemade Christmas sweets, fresh pineapple

Exercise: 11,4 km (7.1 mi) run with hubby. We didn't have to push the doublestroller since my Mum watched the kids, so we took advantage and pushed the pace. It was fun!

Woah long run! Nice job! I have a thing for chocolate too, especially after a long and stressful day. It definitely helps to put your mind at ease, but what I found to be a great replacement is a nice hot bath or shower. Either one, if you have more time, maybe take a bath after the kids are in bed, or have your Mum watch them for a half hour. I like to get the nice sea salts with the aromatherapy oils, and candles too. Mmmmm :) totally an idea though...or you could read a sexy novel to keep you mind at bay. Lol  

Those are just things that helped me comply :)

Best wishes!

Wow, great ideas Sailor! Unfortunately my mum lives several hours away, and was just here over Christmas. But I could get my husband to watched the kids, or take a long shower (have no tub) after they go to bed. I have found that going down to the basement or outside to crank out a short run followed by a shower really helps. I feel less inclined to eat stuff that is not good to me immediately after doing something that IS good for me, if that makes sense. A sexy novel is a great idea too. I bet my husband would love that! ;)

Day 0

2013 12 26

Sleep: About 8 hours. I started feeling icky last night, feverish and sick to my stomach. I took a tylenol and went to bed semi-early but woke up feeling like I would throw up a couple of times during the night. Still felt like an ok night of sleep. Gotta love vacation and sleeping slightly longer in the mornings!

Food:

Breakfast: Eh, no. Just rooibus tea w/ coconut milk. :(

Snack: An orange.

Lunch: Sweetpotato hash, ham, sallad w/ avocado

Snack: Another orange, more rooibus tea w/ coconut milk

Dinner: turkey, sweetpotato "fries", cabbage, sallad, (paleo) gravy, avocado

Snack: A few Christmas chocolates (homemade)

Snacky day, but I have felt sick all day and basically eaten small servings of what I thought I could hold down. Didn't make mayo because I figured I would contaminate it with my stomach bug. I did grocery shop though, and feel ready to start my W30 tomorrow.

Exercise: Just a 2.6 km (1.6ish miles) streak run.

I look forward to feeling more like myself tomorrow!

Day 1

2013 12 27

Sleep: I am guessing 6-7 hours? I am still on vacation, so my baby was my alarm and this morning she was early. I didn't sleep well today either, still feeling sick and having a tummy ache during the night. I fell asleep when putting her down for her afternoon nap and although it threw off my plans for the afternoon it was glorious to get that extra rest!

Food:

Breakfast : Three eggs, sauteed bellpepper and half an avocado

Lunch: Chicken, sweetpotato, sallad, homemade mayo, 2 oranges

Dinner: I-bone steak, baked sweetpotato, sauteed green beans w/garlic, avocado and tomato sallad 2 oranges, 2 mandarin oranges

Now I am sipping a de-caf latte w/ homemade almond milk.

Edited to add another latte, a small bowl of nuts and dried berries and another orange.

I could probably have done without the last orange and gone to bed. Will try that tomorrow.

Exercise: An easy run with the family. 7.7 km (4.8 mi) by the sea at a relaxed pace. I was still feeling my tummy virus, but hoping to be 100% tomorrow.

Day 1 in the books!

Hi Chris! Yeah, this is citrus season in Sweden and I LOVE oranges. Ok, I love fruit, period. :) I probably eat at least six pieces of fruit every day. I just had a small bowl of nuts and dried berries and, I confess, another orange, since I was hungry. I would have loved the steamed fish with broccoli, but was too tired to make it for myself. ;)

Do you think it is crazy amounts of fruit? I haven't really thought about it, to be honest. What would you suggest I eat instead between dinner and bed time or between lunch and dinner? When I am at work I have free access to fresh fruit but no possibility of cooking/heating food. It also have to be something that doesn't smell, I sit in meetings a lot. A can of tuna would not go over well, unfortunately. But there are probably other options?

Oh, and I know we should avoid snacking. But breastfeeding+running makes me a very hungry lady. I aim for three meals but fear that I will need two extra snacks per day. Suggestions are very welcome!

Hi Jennor

Congrats on your first day! It's a brilliant start. I'm due to start my 4th W30 on the first, but have been gearing up for the fun. Breastfeeding and running will indeed make you hungry--I remember those days! Now I primarily do endurance walks and as much yoga as I can in a week, whilst juggling family and work and all. 

To tamp down on the fruit, snacks can be on the go protein with some veg--boiled eggs with spinach, dried beef jerky and spring onions, for emergency fuel when you've run try a larabar (tread carefully, here), carrots and chicken breast, and so on...hope that helps. I look forward to reading about your progress! 

All best  :)

Hi Chris! Yeah, this is citrus season in Sweden and I LOVE oranges. Ok, I love fruit, period. :) I probably eat at least six pieces of fruit every day. I just had a small bowl of nuts and dried berries and, I confess, another orange, since I was hungry. I would have loved the steamed fish with broccoli, but was too tired to make it for myself. ;)

Do you think it is crazy amounts of fruit? I haven't really thought about it, to be honest. What would you suggest I eat instead between dinner and bed time or between lunch and dinner? When I am at work I have free access to fresh fruit but no possibility of cooking/heating food. It also have to be something that doesn't smell, I sit in meetings a lot. A can of tuna would not go over well, unfortunately. But there are probably other options?

Oh, and I know we should avoid snacking. But breastfeeding+running makes me a very hungry lady. I aim for three meals but fear that I will need two extra snacks per day. Suggestions are very welcome!

Ah, I missed that you were breastfeeding.  That gives you license to snack, and/or have more than 3 meals a day.   :)  When you do snack, ideally make it a mini-meal including a protein and fat. How about leftover meatballs or cooked chicken and some avocado? 

On the fruit, I would say if it's in season, you're ok with having a bit more than the 1-2 servings per day. (As we do the same in the USA summers when many berries are in season.)  But keep to the proper serving size at each meal. 1 orange = 1 serving.  And have them as part of your meal, vs. snacking on only them or having your snack revolve around fruit. 

Hi Crazycow and Chris, thank you both for your suggestions. I am on vacation now until Jan 2, so I have fridge, stove, no meetings or off-site engagements and no excuses when it comes to my snacks! Today I will prepare some boxes with sauteed veggies and eggs/fish/meat to keep in my fridge ready to re-heat. Once I get back maybe I can do precooked eggs or something. Or maybe by then I have adjusts to three meals per day, which would be awsome.

Chris, I am glad the breastfeeding gives me a licence to add in snacks. I will aim for three solid meals, but when I am at work there will be at least 6 hours between lunch and dinner, and I already eat a huge lunch. So huge my coworkers joke about it, in fact. No sure I can go for six hours without a snack, but we shall see. W30 has made me do things I never thought possible before, so I am not saying it is impossible!

Edited to add: jerky is not available in Sweden that I know of, and I will make my own Lära bars since they are not sold here.

Hi Jennor,

It sounds like you are well organized. That is the key - for me anyway. I started yesterday, too. And I am committed to making this "just the way I eat!". I have a history of serious digestive issues, too. So while I've loved the weightloss and the sleep - I have to remember I'm doing this to get and stay healthy.

BTW there was a discussion somewhere about making jerky in the oven. I'll try to find it. It sounds simple.

Happy day 2.

Almcc, happy day 2 to you too! Do you have IBD too? This way of eating has made a huge difference for me. My lab tests went from "let's take her colon out"-bad to fine in just a few months. But I am still on high doses of immunosuppressant medications. Maybe in a few years I can taper off them? I agree that staying organized is key. I sauteed three boxes of veggies this afternoon; red cabbage and apple, caramelized onions and mushrooms and finally bellpeppers, onions and garlic. Yum!

Day 2

2013 12 28

Sleep: 6-7 hours again. Went to bed too late. I fell asleep when putting the little one down for her nap and slept really deeply for 1.5 hours. I felt much better after that! This napping is such a luxury. But really, I need to go to bed earlier and use the baby naps for other stuff, like running or reading.

Food:

Breakfast: sauteed green beans, sauteed bellpepper, two eggs, half avocado. My husband took one look at my plate and asked if I could fix one for him!

Lunch: A kind of pathetic plate of grilled chicken, lettuce and a "mystery mayo" I didn't dare eat. We were at the mall, and this was the best I could find.

Dinner: Bolognese sauce over sauteed savoy cabbage. Sallad w/ avocado and 1/2 apple among other stuff.

Postworkout meal: 1/2 small baked sweetpotato and two eggs.

I wasn't very hungry today, for some reason. I also realized today that I tend to grab a fruit when really I am just thirsty. Today I tried to listen to my signals and drank more water instead. Oh, and there was a time after dinner and before the children went to bed that I really, really felt like hiding in the kitchen and stuff my face with chocolate. Instead I took note of that feeling, realized it ment I needed a break and put them to bed 15 minutes earlier than normal. Mother of the year. :) Well, honestly they were exhausted and that's really why they were such a handful.

Exercise: Evening run after putting the kids to bed. 12.1 km (7.5 mi) I prefer running in the morning, but you do what you can to fit it in, right?

Day 2 done!

Jennor - that is so amazing and wonderful that your diet impacted you health so much. I can't remember- are you doing the AIP? I have IBS and had a lot of colon removed years ago for colon cancer. I know I need to eat this way for health reasons but old, bad food habits die hard. I do feel proud and grateful that I can now recognize when I am mistreating myself with food and get back to being compliant. Baby steps, I guess.

I'm going to watch myself when I want fruit to see if I am thirsty. I have a feeling I did that today.

Happy day 3!!

Nice job, keep at it! That breakfast sounds delicious, I need to get a better breakfasts in. Lately I've been really into soft boiled eggs, when the yolks are still a little runny, then maybe a half an avocado and some type of meat.

With your question early about fruits it really depends on your goals. Keep in mind our paleolithic ancestors only had access to fruits about 2 months out of the year, and it usually softened them up for winter. I think the occasional fruit it alright, but if your wanting to lose fat quick lose the fruit. Initially I had trouble with this but now the cravings are gone, and my blood sugar levels are much more level.

You're doing amazing! Keep us updated :)

Almcc- I am doing the regular protocol. I decided to try that for my first round in July this year, and since I had such good results I am doing the same this time. I find that I keep pushing myself a little bit further each whole-whatever I do. The first one it was huge for me to drop milk, grains and sugar. Then I remained mostly grain and milk free. After my second one I have been completely grain and milk free and my only off-roading has been with sugar, really. I am thinking maybe the AIP further down the road, but I am not ready to give up eggs and nightshades right now. Are you doing the AIP?

Sailor - I am being more mindful of my fruits this time, but I am not looking to lose weight as a primary reason for my w30. Losing a few vanity pounds would be nice, but mostly I just want to go into the new year in tip-top shape!

Day 3: hangover in full effect! Off to the kitchen to make myself another coffee.

Edited to add: jerky is not available in Sweden that I know of, and I will make my own Lära bars since they are not sold here.

Hi Jennor--sounds like things are going really well!

I make our jerky, as well as the Larabars, too. That way I know exactly what is in them! The meat I marinate in a bunch of this that and the other, including coconut aminos, and then use a dehydrator to finish it--before I had the dehydrator I just put the cooker on low for a number of hours. The larabars I made with dried dates, dried cranberries (make sure there is no sugar added to these) and a variety of nuts and seeds as well. Here's a link to my pinterest with the recipe for the jerky! I think the recipe for the larabars is knocking about on one of my boards, too.

I remember drinking water more consistently as being a proper revelation. And a squeeze of an orange slice into the water seemed to satisfy any thoughts of fruit I might be having. 

Keep up the great work!

Almacc - I love eggs, and it is truely a convenience food for me. Mmm, runny yolks over vegetables... Makes me happy just thinking about it! Happy day 3 to you too!

Crazy cow - Thank you for the recipes! I'll make the lära bars tomorrow I think. I might need a simple snack like that to keep handy in my purse.

Day 3

2013 12 29

Sleep: Around 7 hours net, I would guess. Kind of thirsty and some leg cramps plus a lot of breast feeding. I woke up with the famous day 3 headache!

Food:

Breakfast: Two eggs, mayo and sauteed veggies. Black coffee.

Lunch: Big serving turkey leftovers, sauteed red cabbage with apple, a few (very few, unfortunately) sweetpotato fries. Tea w/ coconut milk.

Snack: Fruitsallad (1svg) walnuts, black coffee

Dinner: lemon-rosemary salmon, sweetpotato hash, sallad w/ 1/2 avocado, handful blueberries. Mayo. Orange.

Snack: De-caf w/ coconut milk. Handful nuts and dried berries.

The first snack was because we were invited to someones house and she made fruitsallad just for me. I was a bit hungry, so I ate it. Maybe because there was no fat added to my lunch? I think it is a bit difficult when people go the extra mile to make things I can eat. I feel obligated to eat it then! She also had some 72% chocolate but that I stayed far, far away from!

Exercise: 10 km (6.2 mi) running with the family. Pushed the stroller on the flats, refused to take it on the uphills today. Really whiny and tired.

So today I woke up with The Hangover. I was grumpy, tired and had a headache until maybe mid-afternoon, when I had a second cup of coffee and started feeling better. I had a good laugh at myself when I read the email for today. It was spot on! :) I guess tomorrow will be Kill ALL the things, then? :)

Day 4

2013 12 30

Sleep - 7-ish hours? Enough to dream and wake up rested, yay!

Food:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, sauteed mushrooms w/ garlic, avocado

Postworkout meal: Egg, sweetpotato hash

Lunch: Ham, sweetpotato, sauteed red cabbage w/ orange (1/2), mayo. Coffee w/ homemade almond milk

Emergency snack: Handfull walnuts and dried berries, 1svg grapes/strawberries while cooking for the kids

Dinner: Lemon-rosemary salmon, a few sweetpotato vedges, sauteed green beans, sallad w/ strawberries (1/2) and avocado (1/2)

Snack: Nuts and dried fruit. A clementine.

Hungry today! I know nuts and fruit is not optimal as a snack, but right now I have finally sat myself down after a busy day and I refuse to cook anymore today. Tomorrow is New Years Eve. We are having friends over. We have ordered a meny for everyone except me, I'll cook my own food. I will eat fruit and nuts during the evening. It is not optimal, but tomorrow is special, and I feel ok about not making mini meals to eat during the night. I have also made "lära" bars. I used the almond meal from making almond milk, toasted it and added fresh dates, cinnamon, vanilla bean, salt and coconut oil. After mixing a dough I added cacao nibs and dried (unsweetened) cranberries. I tasted a small bite and it was almost too good. Not something I should have as a regular snack! ;)

Exercise: 11,5 km (7.1 mi) My legs have no kick now. I am about 25-15 sec slowed per km. Well, this is the off season and my focus is on healing, not speed. It was a lovely run by myself, by the sea, in pale sunlight.

Jennor, 

Your plan sounds like a good one.  And based on your comments I will NOT be making lara bars!!  :( That is the last thing I need.  I had a store bought one today.  I need to get rid of them - they are left over from before 12/27.

Your run sounds wonderful! I miss water.

On to day 5!  And Happy New Year!

Exercise: 11,5 km (7.1 mi) My legs have no kick now. I am about 25-15 sec slowed per km. Well, this is the off season and my focus is on healing, not speed. It was a lovely run by myself, by the sea, in pale sunlight.

That run sounds brilliant, jennor!

CrazyCow- It was a great run! now that I am on vacation over the holidays it is so easy to let the days fill up with household duties (chopping ALL the veggies! ;) ) and and I spend every waking moment with my kids. Don't get me wrong - I love time with my family - but I also need a few moments to myself to decompress. A run by the sea does that!

Day 5

2013 12 31

New Years Eve! We were stressing all day with cleaning the house, prepping the food and beverages and I prepared my meals for the day. I know that this would be a difficult day where I would previously have been eating waaay to much sugar in the form of fruit and random pieces of chocolate while running around the kitchen, followed by an intestine killing dinner and dessert. I did shovel several pieces of food down while cooking, but I stuck to only complient food! I also knew that celebrating NYE with friends while on the W30 would be a social challenge. Luckily that was the theme in the daily email today. Armed with some stategies (pistachio nuts! sparkling water with lime! and LOBSTER!) I prepared myself to finish 2013 in Whole30-style. And I as I walked down stairs this morning after a mere five hours of sleep I acctually felt good. Really good. I entered 2014 with my whole30 intact!

NYE:

Sleep: 7-ish. I know I should do better with this goal.

Food:

Breakfast: Eggs, sauteed bellpeppers, avocado. Not feeling the veggies today but choked it down.

Random snacking on fruit, coconut butter, walnuts, berries etc

Lunch: Sauteed chicken with parma ham, apple and onion. Baked sweet potato with ghee. Sallad. Avocado.

Snack: 2 oranges

NYE dinner: One lobster with ghee and garlic. Lamb roast beef. Baked sweetpotato with ghee. Asparagus. Sallad with greens, avocado and blueberries. Dessert: Homemade Lära bar, strawberries, blueberries.

Snacking on pistachios nuts and pineapple for the rest of the night. I also drank alcohol free champagne (no sugar).

All in all I feel good about yesterday. There was definately some mindless eating during the day, and I did not follow the meal template. But I ate all good, compliant food and my dinner was delicious. So delicious in fact that I think some of our non-whole30 guests were a bit jealous!

Exercise: 2 km on the threadmill to maintain my streak. This was about 10 min before our guests arrived so let's just say I pushed the pace a bit. ;)

Happy new year!

Almacc - Happy New Year and yes, here's to a fabulous 2014!

Day 6

2014 01 01

Sleep: 5 hours, max. NYE celebrations last night + my girls woke up early.

Food:

Breakfast: rooibos tea w/ coconut milk. 2 fried eggs, sauteed mushrooms and onions, one avocado. Coffee w/ coconut milk

Lunch: 2 eggs over sauteed cabbage with onions, apple and parma ham. 2 oranges.

Snack: dried fruit and nuts. Lara bar.

Dinner: salmon, sweetpotato, sallad, mayo orange

Snack: dried berries, walnuts, chai tea w/ coconut milk (no caffeine), 3 oranges (I know...)

Yeah, I don't think I can do this without snacks. Between breast feeding and running I get crazy hungry. Right now I'd give anything for ice cream and dark chocolate. I am not going there though. Sipping my tea and eating a snack instead. The mini meal-thing is drivning me crazy. I fear I'd rather go hungry than cook a 4th and 5th meal every day, and I don't think that is a good idea. I need something that is convenient!

Exercise: easy 6.4 km (4 mi) run at sunset.

Going to bed early today. Tomorrow I am going back to work after the holidays.

Archived