jennor

I'm sorry you have been down. The darkness bothers me  sure. but I have only lived as far north as 47 N. 

I am not an expert but maybe 3 meals is too little considering your level of activity.  Have you checked out the athlete section of the forum or asked a moderator.  How about an extra meal - like a mini -meal  as a snack? And what do you eat for pre-wo, post-wo?

I know that doesn't address the guilt issue or eating to de-stress. 

Wishing you a great day!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashley - I think your dd would like the lara balls. My kids did! I had to pry them out of their little hands and tell them to save some for mummy! :) try the pea protein, I bet it will work. You migh have to add some extra dates or coconut butter  or -oil if they get to dry, though. Yay for making your own nut milk! Seriously, it is so much creamier and tastier than the store bought stuff! (Here you can only get the sweetened almond milk, so that is what I have tried before.)

Day 18

2014 01 13

I have been kind of down in the past 2-3 days. I don't know why really. Maybe it is the darkness? I am also struggling a bit with the meal template giving me feelings of guilt. I feel like I should be able to stick to the tree meals and 1-2 servings of fruit. But I am used to eating so much more than the meal template. I feel somehow guilty about that. Food and guilt do not go well together. A year ago I would have doubled over with laughter if someone told me I would feel guilty about eating too much fruit and nuts. I had bigger fish to fry then, like my chocolate- and baked good consumption. Now I am eating all compliant food, but I still eat to relax and de-stress. I want to work on that but it is so hard! So, so hard. I don't know if I should focus the last 12 days on really hardcore trying to limit my snacking and fruit consumption, or if I should just say screw it and not cause myself to feel guilty about it?

Sleep: 7.5 hours. I slept really well.

Food:

Breakfast: Frittata w/ veggies, handfull nuts, one orange

Lunch: Pork tenderloin, sauteed kale w/ roasted hazelnuts and pear slices, mixed salad

Dinner:

Exercise: 7.4 km as part of my commute to work, 20 min weights in the gym.

Given your level of activity and the fact that you're breastfeeding, as previously stated, that gives you licence to have more than 3 meals a day, if that's what your body is telling you you need. No need to feel guilt.

Maybe try adding in a 4th meal for the next 12 days?  Also add carb-dense vegetables daily: sweet potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, rutabaga, parsnips, and plantains are among the possibilities.

Ashley - Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! :) The forum support and accountability really makes a huge difference for me. My pre- and post WO meals are not what they ought to be during the week, I admit. I run very early, and I feel sick if I eat even an egg before my run. I eat as son as possible after my run, but here's the thing, my run is just the first part of a longer commute to work. In someone elses car. And she does not condone eating in the car. (Yes, she is a bit special.) So I eat the minute I get to work, but it is 45 min after my run is finished. I still get it in within an hour post exercise, though. :unsure: Right now I will start ramping up my running for a spring marathon, so my miles will increase. Around longer runs I make sure to eat both before and right after.

Chris - Thank you too! I have decided to let go of the guilt and to accept that I will need more than three meals/day right now. When I am done breastfeeding I will test the three meals again. I have time to tweak this life style later, I am in it for the long haul! I eat sweet potatoes with dinner most night, and I definately feel the need for those starches. If I miss that even one day my run sucks the next day.

Day 19
2014 01 14

Yesterday was hard. I almost ate chocolate in a moment of "screw this, let's just self-sabotage". But I didn't. I decided that I will not give in to my self-doubt. I can do this, dammit! Yes I can! I did dwell too long on my work-related stress and I did bitch an unnecessary amount to my husband, but I did NOT break my Whole30. I did eat nuts and dried berries and decided to not feel guilty about it, though. Like I said above, I am on board this train for the long haul. This is my life style, not a "diet" that I will try for 30 days and then re-introduce everything back. I have been without grains, milk, alcohol, soy and legumes for 7 months now and it has made a huge difference for my colitis. I am in no hurry to mess with that. I figure if I have been living with inflammation and flares for six years, I need time to let verything heal before I can start re-introducing and evaluating. What I will do is re-introduce some high percentage, low sugar, dairy free chocolate. (The 70% kind is free of milk, so that or higher. I do not use artifial sweeteners, so none of that crap!) And I will allow myself to have SWYPO at special occations. I used to make a paleo brownie for birthdays and banana bread muffins for special occations and I will still do that. Other than that I will continue with this. Real food is the best food ever! :D

Sleep: Not so good. I was stressed about work and my little one woke up a lot too. Double-caffinated this morning and functional, but looking forward to an early night tonight.

Food:
Breakfast: Double espresso w/ almond milk. Frittata w/ veggies. A small mandarin orange. Black coffee.
Lunch: Beef stew, vegetables.
Snack: 2 apples, handful grapes
Dinner: Chicken thighs, piece left-over salmon, sweet potato, salad, 1/2 avocado, chipotle mayo. (I found a compliant chipotle paste. Mixed with mayo it is a divine sauce that goes with everything! )
Snack: Dried berries, walnuts. De-caf w/ almond milk 2 small mandarin oranges

Exercise: Just 2 km to maintain my streak run.

jennor - so glad you stuck with it.  I think that is really important - to find ways to care for ourselves - including abstaining from the food that is not good for us.  Yesterday I toyed with the idea of just doing this for 30 days - which in reality is just me wanting to go back to eating crap. I am very stressed and learning new ways to deal with it is challenging. In some ways, I am happy my digestion is still not very good (better than before) because it reminds me why I am really do in this.

We can do this.  And the support here is invaluable.

Happy eating!!!

Thank you Ashley - I think part of the process is recognizing these little sneaky ways we have of telling ourselves it is ok to leave the Whole30 (or whole100) trail. Like "I will just take a break from it and eat chocolate tonight. It won't make a difference" or "I am ready to ride my own bike now. I'll be Whole30 with dark chocolate added." <- That is so me! :D Recognize these thoughts, and then talk them back into the corner - we can do this for ourselves!

Day 20 - woo hoo!

2014 01 15

Sleep: 8 glorious hours. Amazing! Almost life changing, I would say.

Food:

Breakfast: Sauteed onion and bellpepper, two eggs + two eggwhites (left-overs from mayo making) Coffee w7 almond milk

Snack: Tea w/ coconut milk, 1/2 apple w/ a few tbs coconut butter

Lunch: Sauteed onion, cabbage and apple, slice of bacon, two eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, big dollop of mayo and chipotle paste. 

Snack: Walnuts, dried berries, Coco balls. (Too much and too mindlessly eaten. I have this thing when I work at home where my hand just puts food in my mouth on autopilot. Need to work on that!)

Dinner: Carnitas, ½ sweet potato (my stash is running out! :o ) on top of a huge pile of spinach. Generous dollop of mayo, drizzle of chipotle paste.

Exercise: Barely! Just did 2 km on the treadmill to keep my streak going.

Day 20, already!

Some learnings so far:

• I have realized that I actually like a cooked breakfast. Today I really enjoyed my veggie sautee.
  • I have also realized that with onions, cabbage, apple, sweet potato, bacon and eggs in the house I can always whip up a tasty meal in a few minutes. Add some mayo to that and I am golden.
  • I have perfected my mayo making. We go through it really fast since my husband loves it too. Making it with the handmixer is so easy, and it yields the thickest mayo I have ever made myself.
  •  I have also realized that it is very easy to eat whole30-compliant in the restaurants at work. I just need to dare ask questions.
  • I have learned that I have more willpower and strength around food than I thought. I used to be very driven with exercise, but until this summer never took active ownership over the food I fuelled my body with.

I am working from home today since hubby is on a work trip. My goal is to have dinner ready to just heat after picking the kids up from day care, so we can have time to relax together. My other goal is to get a TON of work done today. I have a few things I just want to be done with.

Next week is going to be crazy, with several workdays starting at 7am and ending around midnight (dinner obligations). I need to prepare so that I can have enough food to get me through day and night, and also try to get as much sleep as possible. I am planning on making my coconut balls again, and keep a few in my purse always. I am going to miss my kids - I always do when work gets crazy. Luckily we will go away together on vacation soon after that!

Yay day 20!!!!! How fabulous is that!!  And good sleep is life changing!!!! 

jennor - everything you said rings so true for me, too.  I think our minds are still trying to get us to revert back to old coping mechanisms. But we are smarter than they are. :D

Great planning for next week. Do you know where you'll be eating next week? 

Hope you get loads of work done! I am making almond milk today!!

Happy eating!

Ashley - unfortunately I think it will be hard to get full while on a whole30 at the restaurant on Monday. I am planning on bringing a meal to eat at work before we leave. Most likely we will go to an italian restaurant in Copenhagen and I can't see much on the menu that I can eat. We'll probably all take the tasting menu and I'll just eat what I can from each dish. (The garnish? :) ) I will also call ahead and warn them that I can't eat gluten or dairy. I find that if I ask resaturants to eliminate those two offenders, it is pretty easy to eat around the other stuff that is off limits.  The friday event is an all day catered event. For the dinner I ordered gluten and milk free and for lunch I plan on bringing a slice of frittata and just eat what I can of the catered food. It is like navigating a mine field, and right at the end I don't want to accidentally mess up my w30!

I made almond milk yesterday too! How did yours turn out?

Day 21

2014 01 16

Sleep: I was on track until my husband arrived home from his work trip just as I was headed upstairs. And he wanted to tell me all about his day. I didn't want to hurt him, but at the same time I really wanted to go to bed. Anyway, probably 7.5-7.25 hours.

Food:

Breakfast: Chai tea w/ almond milk. Sauteed cabbage w/ onion, bacon and apple. Two fried eggs. Black coffee.

Lunch: Thai fish cakes, sweet potato, greens and carrot salad, sesame-chili dressing. ½ manadrin orange.

Snack: 2 fruits, coco balls

Dinner: carnitas, hash of sweet potato, aubergine, onion, bacon and apple over big pile of spinash. Mayo, chipotle paste. Orange.

Snack: 2 de-caf w/ almond milk, too many mullberries, walnuts. (Again. Printing out the "Change your habit sheet" from the Whole20Daily emails right now!)

Exercise: Just 2 km for the streak. This week has really sucked when it comes to exercise. Hello marathon training, where did you go?

jennor- I love the almond milk. I'm drying and toasting the meal now. Next up - making Lara balls. 😀

Your plan sounds good. And maybe the Italian restaurant can make you a piece of meat.

My husband wants to go out tonight. I hesitate. But it's doable.

Happy Eating!!!

Ashley - I booked the restaurant for the business dinner on Monday and told them I was allergic to gluten and milk. Let's see what they can come up with. I understand your hesitation on going out right now.

Day 22 (Already??)

2014 01 17

Sleep: 7 hours. I feel pretty good.

Food:

Breakfast: Chai tea w/ almond milk. Frittata w/ veggies, orange, black coffee.

Lunch: Duck conommé w/ smoked duck and kale. Beef, roasted carrot and parsnip. Greens, mushrooms and carrots. ½ orange.

Snack: Red grapes, pineapple, melon. (In a meeting. The others had cc-cookies. I wasn't even tempted, but took one to bring home for my kids to share after dinner tonight.) A few coco balls.

Dinner: chicken breast, salad and mayo. (Went out for dinner.)

Snack: dried berries and walnuts. Two de-caf w/ almond milk

Exercise: 2 km again. It is snowing like crazy outside. Oh, I hate winter!

Day 22 yippee!!!!

We ended up going out to eat. I grilled the server about their run special (still trying to get ribs) and all seemed fine till I took a bite. They had put do much chili and cayenne pepper in the rub it was inedible. Broccoli was good.

Happy eating!!!

Ashley, too bad about the rub! We went out too yesterday. I managed to get a chicken breast and a boring salad. Oh, well.

Day 23

2014 01 18

Sleep: 8 hours. Glorious!

Food:

Breakfast: sautéed aubergine, sweet potato, onion and apple. Bacon. Two fried eggs. Moroccan dipping sauce from Well Fed. Recommended! Coffee and de-caf with almond milk

Lunch: chicken thigh, sautéed veg, fresh spinach and Moroccan dipping sauce. Orange. De-caf w almond milk.

Snack: orange and small mandarin orange, coco balls, de-caf

Dinner: pulled pork, sweet potato, salad, mayo, chipotle paste

Exercise: will be something on the treadmill, most likely just 2 km... This week will have to count as a rest week, I guess.

I feel good now. I actually like to eat a cooked breakfast as opposed to boiled eggs and a grain free muffin. I think it is healthier too. I have always liked cooking, so that part doesn't bother me, generally. The only issue is cooking with kids screaming and pulling at me, which is not as relaxing as cooking while they are happy. I made pulled pork and roasted two chickens today. Right now I am making broth from the chicken bones. I also chopped a ton of veggies and roasted a tray of sweet potatoes. Tomorrow I will make a fish soup/stew and a frittata and then I think we are set for the week to come.

Chris, no, it is not a pleo treat. I 'd say they mcould possibly border on swypo, but for me they are more of an emergency snack. I live in Sweden, and we don't have Lara bars. I needed something to have "on the go", so first I tried making my own Lara balls. However, they were too sweet, not filling enough and too much of a treat. So I modified the recipe to contain more fat and less sugar. They are made with ground coconut, toasted almonds and dates. They are actually way less of a sugary treat than an actual Lara bar. That said, they are reserved for emergencies and not something to be had instead of coffee cake etc!

Ashley, I love to cook! B.k (before kids) I would spend hours in kitchen and as they grow older now, I am taking my kitchen time back. I mashed garlic and lemon zest with ghee and massaged it under the skin of the chickens. I squeezed the lemon over and inside the chickens and put the lemon remains in the cavity. After pulling the meat off, the bones made a lovely lemony chicken broth. I really recommend the Morocan dipping sauce from Well Fed.

Oh, and Chris, I have a few work events coming up this week with catered food and the coco balls are reserved for times when there is nothing compliant to eat.

Day 24

2014 01 19

I woke up today (After nine hours of sleep! Just had to get that in there.) and realized that there is less than a week left of my whole30. I feel like there are a few things I haven't fully mastered yet. The number one habit I'd like to change is the eating after putting the kids to bed. To do that I think I have to change a few things: I want to space my meals so that I am not hungry between dinner and bed time. I also, and this is my main issue, want to address the habit of eating for reward and relaxation after putting the kids to bed. This habit is something I am aware of, but it will take some work to change it. I am reading "The power of Habits" as recommended by the Daily whole30 emails and I find it super interesting! Highly recommend it! I have learned habits are built of a cue, a routine and a reward. To change a habit you need to keep the cue and the reward but change the routine. I have identified my cue, routine and reward. So tonight as I get my cue (kids are in bed, my me-time starts), I will change my routine ( from de-caf and dried berries to chai tea and a 10 min stretch on my yoga mat) and hopefully the reward (relaxation) will stay the same. Needless to say, this work will continue after my w30 is officially over.

Sleep: 9 hours! Both kids have a cold so there was a lot of wake-ups when they were coughing and needed to be put back to sleep, but I feel really rested. I told my husband yesterday that I do feel more energetic, even if my sleeping hours hasn't been stellar.

Food:

Breakfast: Veggie hash, fried eggs, Moroccan dipping sauce. Coffee and de-caf w/ almond milk.

Lunch: kind of random: eggs, mayo, hot sauce, coconut, piece of apple, piece fresh pineapple

Dinner: Fish stew w/ a lot of sautéed veggies, cod and salmon. Aioli (from homemade mayo, no mystery fats!)

Exercise: 10 km (6.2 mi) on the treadmill. This brings me up to a whopping 17 miles for the week, which is something of an all time low for me. And especially since I should be starting marathon training this week!

Happy Day 24! The lemon/garlic chicken sounds wonderful!

I have a similar nighttime habit.  And my child is at college.  But I can bet I started it when she was little and I needed more me time.  This week - my husband is off, so we will eat at a reasonable time - I am going to have tea and no snack in the evening. I am also going to limit myself to 1 piece of fruit a day.

Lats night I made sweet potato fries in the oven. Hmmmmmm...... The taste was great. But the crispiness was missing. :unsure:  I have to work on how I slice the potato and how to cook them in the oven.  If you had told me last year that now I would be making mayo and homemade sp fries and almond milk - I would have thought you were crazy!

Today's trip to the store will include buying ingredients for the Moroccan dipping sauce and for the aioli.

I ordered nom nom paleo today.  Excited about that.

Happy day!!

Ashley, I think it is really common to eat for relaxation. And like you said, it easily becomes one of those habits we continue throughout life. I am drinking my chai tea and have had my nice little stretch. I feel good, but a bit hungry. I think that will adjust in few days though.

I might order the nomnom paleo books too. I have the app on my iPad and she has some good recipes. I need to buy coconut aminos before cooking most of them though.

Prepped a fish stew/soup today. It was sautéed onion, aubergine, sweet potato and green-, yellow-, and red bell peppers in small cubes, broth and canned tomato. After simmering for a while I added salmon, cod and prawns. Much to my surprise both kids LOVED it! They didn't want the aioli though.

I also made a big frittata and packed for breakfasts. Tomorrow I have a work thing in the evening with a restaurant visit. I am planning on having a slice of frittata before we leave for the restaurant, so I won't be so hungry and frustrated if I can't eat much on the menu. When I booked the restaurant I said one of us was gluten and milk intolerant. That way the most common offenders are eliminated. I hope to be able to eat around the rest of them. If worst come to worst I will eat when I get home. Turning down the wine probably won't be a problem, since I don't drink normally either.

Day 25

2014 01 20

I woke up with a perioral dermatitis rash on my face today. What the #¤%¤? At the end of a whole30? I have only had it at the beginning of both pregnancies and one episode as a teen, previously. This is out of left field. It is not a lot, but usually it grows. I used a cream I don't normally use yesterday, so i will trow that one out. Other than that, I can only wait and see how this will develop. The other times it grew into a lovely rash that made me look like I had syphilis or something. Fun, fun.

On a more positive note, yesterday I sipped my chai tea and did 10 or so minutes of stretching and yoga instead of snacking the night away on nuts and fruit. And it was nice and relaxing. I was hungry when I went to bed, and had some trouble falling asleep and going back to sleep after wake-ups during the night. When I got up in the morning I felt the need for a pre-WO snack for the first time (excluding long runs or such). So I had ½ slice of frittata. I think the hunger will go away once I have shifted my caloric intake to take in more food earlier in the day, and I just need to stick it out for a few days or so? My aim is not to reduce total caloric intake, but rather to shift it to more nutrient rich meals earlier in the day. I feel like what I am doing, and have been doing since July-13, is to gradually chip away at my unhealthy habits one by one. If I can stop the night time snacking I am happy to have a slice of frittata pre-WO in the morning instead. Healthier! I just hope the hunger will adjust in a few days, because being hungry really affects my sleep in a negative way.

Sleep: 7-ish hours. I was hungry and that caused me to have some trouble falling asleep. And younger DD still has a cold, so she was coughing and waking up quite a bit.

Food:

Pre-wo: ½ slice of frittata, espresso w/ coconut milk

Post-wo/Breakfast: Slice of frittata, Â½ handfull nuts. Black coffee.

Snack: 1 serving mixed fruits in a meeting.

Lunch: Roast chicken, some root veggies, big salad, handful almonds and toasted coconut flakes.

Snack: 1 orange, small handfull coconut flakes and hazelnuts. (Hungry!)

Dinner: 4 course tasting menu at a work function. Techinically it was 5 courses, but I could only eat a few pieces of a blod orange from the dessert course. The restaurant was amazingly forthcoming and gladly accomodated to my whole30. I was pleasantly suprised!

Exercise: 7.4 km through the stormy, freezing, dark landscape this morning. :) Additional 1 km to get home - faster than walking, and much warmer! Total 8.4 km (5.2 mi)

Hi Ashley, work is eh, intense right now! But I am chugging along!

Day 26
2014 01 21

I forgot my breakfast at home this morning. Oh, the horror! First I thought I'd have to eat whatever I could find in the fruit and nut baskets in the break room. We have a restaurant that sells breakfast, but it is bread and yogurt along with fruit and nuts. Then I realized I could ask for eggs. They pulled out two hb eggs for me, yay! Lesson of the day: it is ok to be "that girl" that asks for food I can eat.

Sleep: 8 hours! I came home from the work dinner, said Hi to my husband and went straight to bed. Up again and back to work before they all woke up. Anyway, feeling pretty rested and energetic.

Food:
Breakfast: 2 eggs, fruit, nuts
Snack: Serving mixed fruits@meeting
Lunch: Steak, Jerusalem artichokes, big salad
Snack: Apple
Dinner: chicken breast and thigh, sweet potato, salad, guacamole, mayo, walnuts, cranberries. 3 oranges.
Chai tea. Feeling slightly hungry.

Added snack: walnuts, cranberries (unsweetened), coconut flakes. I am glad i added this as I would not have been able to sleep otherwise.

Exercise: 7.4 km morning run, 5.5 to pick up the kids @ day care. Total 12.9 km, 8 mi.

Day 27

2014 01 22

The rash on my face is much better. I hope it will continue to heal and be gone in a few days.

Other than that, I feel like I am pretty much running on adrenaline this week. I tend to do that too often when it comes to my job, which can be very busy. I just realized (or accepted to myself, maybe) that I will need to take some work with me on vacation next week. Not too happy about that, but I guess that is what can be expected when I take my vacation in the winter (instead of in the summer when everyone is in vacation mode).

Sleep: 7 hours, broken up. Let's just say that younger DD slept fitfully. I ended up having to sleep wrapped around her to keep her calm. Although that was lovely (she is small, warm and smells heavenly!) it gave me a kink in the neck. I woke up feeling pretty dead. With coffee on board I am functional, but not much more.

Food:

Breakfast: Frittata, handful nuts, handful grapes, 2 black coffees

Lunch: Italian meatballs, sallad, svg mixed fruit

Snack: Black coffee, 2 oranges

Dinner: 2 svgs fish stew w/ moroccan dipping sauce, clementine my daughter peeled for me.

Snack: handful nuts, 2 blood oranges, de-caf w/ milk

Exercise: 7.4 km to the car pool meeting place. 5.5 km later to pick up at day care. Total: 12.9 km  or 8 mi.

Hi Ashley! I haven't decided on re-introductions. Or in a way I have, because I don't plan on re-introducing most foods, at least not as a regular part of my diet. I know from before that I can handle both gluten, milk and soy (I am not allergic), I just think that regularly consuming then is bad for my colitis in that it increases interstinal permeability and inflammation. But that is more a long term effect than an acute reaction of discomfort. What I have problems with is large quantities of carbs and in particular sugar. That makes my tummy crazy almost immediately. So I will continue to eat pretty much as I do now, but allow for the occasional off-roading and paleofied treat. I will leave for vacation on day 2 post-w30 and during vacation I know I will have ice cream at least once at a special ice cream store. That will be my "dairy test". :) Gluten, I am not sure... maybe if something tempts me enough. In general I'll be eating as normal (which for me is strict paleo), but not hold back if there is something I really, really want to eat. I am also thining to maybe follow up with another w30 pretty soon after vacation, to continue working on my habits. I'll probably start Feb 11, after we get back home from vacay. By then you'll be on your day 46, I believe?

Day 28

2014 01 23

Sleep: Could someone please tell my 1.5 year old that 4 am is not play time? Mommy would like to sleep by then. In total I guess I got about 6-6.5 hours. I wish my sleep was more in my control, in that if I went to bed at a decent time I could count on sleeping a certain number of hours. But with small kids and having to get up very early for work I feel like I don't really have control over how much sleep I am getting. Ah well, such is life! :)

Food:

Breakfast: Coffee w/ almond milk. Big slab of frittata w/ veggies, clementine, black coffee.

Lunch: Jamaican Jerk pork tenderloin, sweet potato, pumpkin, beets, salad, olives, almonds

Snack: Handful nuts, apple and pear

Dinner: Pulled pork, sweet potato, guacamole, spinach, Moroccan hot sauce

Snack: Eating to stay awake, I think. Too much nuts, coconut and citrus fruit. My tummy will probably not be happy tomorrow. :(

Exercise: Rest day, just 2 km to maintain my running streak.

Jennor, looks like you are doing stellar! Your entries are very detailed and entertaining to read and you're so close to Day 30!! The night yoga, and tea sounds a lot better than night nut snacking. I'm gonna start doing nightly stretches too. Before whole 30 I loved to snack in front of the tv and just zone out, but I felt terrible about it the next day. Just a terrible habit.

On my day 23, and I want to keep eating this way fo sho :)

Cheers!

Archived