Starting tomorrow - Dec 26

punchbuggyblue

I'm starting the whole 30 tomorrow.

Got my fridge stocked and my meat thawing and my pantry purged of temptations.

I have been paleo for coming up on 2 years, but I'm a sugar addict and something happened after Halloween and I binged on mini chocolate bars for 3 weeks.   :(  This, after over a year of not eating sugar on any kind of regular basis.

And since then I've had a hard time having a single sugar free day.  I have only had about 3, and they were not consecutive.  So, now there will be 30.  I have made the commitment. My body is thanking me already.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi punchbuggyblue!  I am with you for 30 days starting tomorrow - bring it on!  I did a very successful Whole30 back in July and it was 100% successful because of two things, a good list of goals and a support group on this forum.  I look forward to checking in daily and finding out how it is going.

Your sugar past resonates with me.  I was sugar free for my whole30 and following it I was totally in control and really had no desire.  Then around Halloween the sugar dragon came back like crazy, and I have been downing m&m's like crazy on top of all kinds of other sweets.

The craving really does go away when you start eating real food and getting good healthy fat in your diet.

Let's do this!!!

Amy

Hi! 

My family is starting tomorrow too!  We did it last April and it was great.  We did well after the 30 days were over, but eventually got caught in the downward spiral and are ready to get back to feeling great again.  I just now officially joined the board so this time around it will be nice to have some buddies :)

Hi,

I just joined the site too!  I am starting tomorrow also!  I have been planning on it for a few weeks now but then came down with a bad cold the last few days so haven't been shopping yet, but I'm hoping to make it a day or two with a cold and the food in my fridge.  This is my first whole30 but I did a similar cleanse over the summer, but also couldn't eat eggs, so I'm really excited to eat eggs this time around.  I've been mostly paleo for the past few months but wanted to kick my salt cravings of chips and popcorn and I also want to sleep!!

Good luck everyone!  Glad to find some people also starting tomorrow.  My husband will eat what I make him but won't commit to the no wine for 30 days and my kids are already picky enough.  So I'm on my own around here.

Amy (another one!)

Best wishes to everyone! I too had a hard time staying away from the Halloween candy bowl at our front desk...I felt like I deserved it and then it became an every day occurrence.  And then in came the sushi, soba, ramen and rice. I convinced myself that if Japanese women are skinny and they can eat like this why can't I? hahah so foolish. December rolled around and I felt blaaaa, my jeans are tight, and Dag Nabbit I will NOT buy new jeans for a bigger booty...pshh they're too expensive anyhow.

So I started Monday! And now its Day 3 and I feel sleepy and a tad foggy. Not as bad as last time, but still mucky. I wanted to get all this ickyness out of the way before I officially start January 1st.

Its much better being ahead of the curve anyway! ;)

Good luck to everyone, just know it does get better after a week- or a so depending on how long you've been addicted to sugar and grains.

Hi Gang!

I'm in too.  Was going to wait til Jan 1, but no need for that.  Had a wonderful Christmas and went a bit off road, but not a complete disaster.  I completed 2 W30's  this summer/fall.  Looking to cleaning up my act and rebooting for a healthy W9, Primal 2014.  I'm opening up my copy of It Starts With Food right now.  Great inspiration there and on the forum.

My best to everyone.

Yes...complete sugar addict here!  I'm surprised I didn't end up in the ER yesterday from all my sugar intake.  Decided today was the day.  I cannot stand it any longer and how it makes me feel.  It's time to slay the dragon.  This will be my 3rd time to engage in a Whole30.  First time I made it 22 days, second time all the way through, but that was at the first of this year.  Once I start with sugar, it is hard to stop so...this is going to be difficult but I know I can do it.

Hi Everyone!

we have a nice group here - how is everyone doing today?   I have done well and without much cooking so I have been lucky.  Some Christmas leftovers were ISWF compliant thankfully :)  I did snack this afternoon but that will be better in the days to come.

Breakfast: eggs, brussel sprouts, pear, avocado

Lunch: turkey, roast, green beans, avocado, sweet potato

snack: almonds

Dinner: salad with chicken and olive oil dressing

I am planning out my meals for tomorrow.  I already got in the homemade mayo habit thankfully so that makes quick meals easier.  I made some yummy veggie dip for lunch tomorrow.

If anyone makes good recipes please share with us, it is way to easy to get a food rut and start cooking the same things over and over. 

Ah, yes...posting the meals.  So far so good. 

Breakfast was 2 eggs with spinach.

Lunch - a salad of canned salmon, spinach, orange bell pepper, small apple, yellow tomatoes, avocado, walnuts with Balsamic Vinegar.

Snack - sugar snap peas

Dinner will be compliant taco filling on a bed of spinach with salsa.

Night time is the killer for me.  That's when I really want those things I shouldn't be eating.  Gotta stay strong though!

Hi all,

I've just started today (27th Dec) after eating crappy food with my family over christmas.  So I'm starting with bloating, no energy, brain fog, and just general blegh-ness.  I did a similar challenge to this a few months ago through my gym, but I had a serious stomach virus halfway through which totally stuffed it up, so here I am!  I think my biggest challenge will be NYE, and my friends and family who always say "just one bit won't hurt"...

I'm in Adelaide, Australia if there are any other Aussies starting now?  Could be good to share some Aus tips and hints...

Cheers, Danielle.

Hi All,

Today has been good.  I'm still getting over my cold but I was out of bed today, went grocery shopping, and cooked a lot!  I made my first homemade mayo and it came out great!  I have been scared of making it for a while now but dove right in.

Breakfast - 3 over easy eggs over sauteed green beans, garlic, and butternut squash.  Was really full and lasted til lunch 

Lunch - leftover turkey burgers on lettuce, onions, and tomato with some homemade mayo

Snack - hungry at 3pm.  Olives and cashews

Dinner - Meat, mushroom, and onion spaghetti sauce over spaghetti squash.  Still full right now but I would love a glass of wine...

I'm in northern CA so evening here.  Hopefully the munchies won't hit in a few hours.  I will miss my peppermint tea with stevia. :wacko:

Hi! I started yesterday, too. Today I have been feeling pretty good. I'm really enjoying eating without having to worry about how much - just what. I am a compulsive calorie counter - I thought I would have a hard time with this program but turns out I am loving it! I am a new mom, our fourth baby  is only 6 weeks old so I don't think I would notice if I were more tired. The hardest thing for me has been not drinking coffee all day long. I've limited myself to two cups per day, hopefully to taper down to one soon.

Today, I've eaten:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half and avocado and homemade salsa

Lunch: Chipotle - salad with chicken, guacamole, salsa

Snack: An apple with sunflower butter

Dinner (happening soon): Chicken breast with spinach and a salad on the side with olive oil/vinegar/Italian herb dressing

I'm not big on preparing ahead. I kind of pull out of my fridge what I'm going to eat. I just don't buy things that are going to take a lot of prep. Because I'm lazy :-)

Happy whole living to everyone!

Hi! I started yesterday, too. Today I have been feeling pretty good. I'm really enjoying eating without having to worry about how much - just what. I am a compulsive calorie counter - I thought I would have a hard time with this program but turns out I am loving it! I am a new mom, our fourth baby  is only 6 weeks old so I don't think I would notice if I were more tired. The hardest thing for me has been not drinking coffee all day long. I've limited myself to two cups per day, hopefully to taper down to one soon.

Today, I've eaten:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with half and avocado and homemade salsa

Lunch: Chipotle - salad with chicken, guacamole, salsa

Snack: An apple with sunflower butter

Dinner (happening soon): Chicken breast with spinach and a salad on the side with olive oil/vinegar/Italian herb dressing

I'm not big on preparing ahead. I kind of pull out of my fridge what I'm going to eat. I just don't buy things that are going to take a lot of prep. Because I'm lazy :-)

Happy whole living to everyone!

Welcome to day 2!

Some observations on today's food:

- aim for at least 1-2 cups of vegetables per meal. I wonder if you got enough veggies at breakfast and lunch.

- watch out at Chipotle. I'm not sure your chicken was compliant, as they cook it in either soybean oil or rice bran oil per their website. http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

- only have a snack if you're genuinely hungry between meals. Hunger means you could eat steamed fish and broccoli.  If you're hungry, it's usually an indication that you need to increase your portion sizes at earlier meals.  If you are truly hungry, have a mini-meal including a protein and fat vs. fruit and fat.  When you have fruit, have it as part of your meals vs. with a snack.

Hi Everyone!  Glad to hear so many making the commitment at the end of the month and before new years! 

GFChris - thank you for your reminders, I always learn so much from you!  Keep 'em coming ;)

Luvnbhealthy: NIght time is also a challenge for me.  Tonight I did not do so well, tomorrow is a new day and I will make a cup of tea right after dinner so I have something ready to go when my mind wants to snack.

Today for me:

Breakfast: kale/ sausage sautee, avocado, few raisins

Lunch: omlette, salad, bacon

Dinner: Green beans, turkey, sweet potato, cherries and fruit salad, almonds

Today I definitely had too much fruit and too many nuts.  I know this a weakness of mine when I am on Whole30.  I want to snack so bad that I go to those foods as a replacement.  Thankfully I am realizing this early on so I can change my ways.  The nuts are now done and I will not be buying them again!!

Have a good day tomorrow everyone!

Hi everyone!  Nice to see so many of us working on the same goal at the same time.  Support is so awesome when it comes to this type of thing!

I had 2 completely successful days. And the way I see it, by the end of today (day 3) I'll be 10% of the way to 30! 

For me, keeping food off my mind is the key, so I prep about 3 or 4 days worth of meals at once.  That way they are ready to eat, and I don't have to think at all about what to eat next.

Breakfast-  omelette loaded with tomatoes, asparagus and peppers.  (So much vegetable that it's hard for the eggs to keep it all together, lol) And for variety, sometimes I have scrambled eggs with seared veggies on the side.  I know it's not variety really - but it changes the texture and amuses my eye, so it works.

Lunch - Salad with balsamic vinegar, loaded with chicken

Supper - asian style stir fry, with lots of beef.

Everything is packed and ready to eat, so I just have to reach in the fridge for a meal.

Those first few days, or even the first week are the worst for me if I wait to prepare food when I am hungry.

And also, the lack of variety takes the "fun" out of eating, so I find myself eating out of necessity not out of boredom, or need for entertainment.

How is everyone doing today?  Yesterday I was fine, but today the headache rolled when upon wakening and has been on and off all day and I'm tired.  I did eat a little more stuff at Christmas than normal, so I figured the "hangover" day would happen.  I've warned my husband of the "bite everyone's head off days" coming ahead but I think it has started a little ;)

Punchbuggy, I also like to have a couple days of food.  I make a big amount so I have leftovers for next few days.  Except now I find myself making my kids other food so they don't eat all mine!  So I am still cooking a lot.  

I also made ketchup and 2 salad dressings that came out decent.

Yesterday I had mostly left overs and I was craving sweets so I had an apple sauteed in ghee and cinnamon.

Today, 

B:  eggs over sauteed onion, mushroom, bacon with sweet potatoes.

L: Tuna with homemade mayo, apples, green onions along with salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

For Dinner I'll have left over spaghetti and squash.. 

Nice work today Lisa and Amy! 

Amy - you are so right the "biting heads off" will peak on day 4 usually - so warn those around you :)

Meal creativity really is the way to success.  I found last time that when I had the same thing day after day that it got really hard and cravings came.  I also make sure to have enough starchy carbs on the days I exercise or am really active or stressed.  Sweet potatos and butternut squash are key for me.  I make sure I always have them on hand.  I make a yummy sweet potato soufflé with a few eggs, coconut milk, cinnamon and golden raisins - it is great for breakfast with a side of sausage.

Today was quite tempting, we had a party and a good amount of food that was not compliant, but I had veggies with the guacamole and made a quiche I was able to eat.

Tomorrow and in the coming week I am looking forward things being quieter at our house and not having to eat out as much.

Here is too a great Sunday everyone!!

Hi everyone,

It's day 4 for me (started 27th), and I've noticed that since saturday I've had a low level headache.  Nothing I'd take a panadol or aspirin for, but just enough to be annoying.  But I'm with you all on the crabby mood front! 

But I was very proud of myself on Saturday - I went out for lunch with the extended family, and they don't hold back.  I had green curry chicken skewers with an extra side of steamed vegies (which was mostly bland cauli, with a few bits of carrot and beans, and corn which I gave to my mum).  I knew that everyone else would be having dessert, so I ate that bland cauli til I was full to resist the later temptation...  So when it came to dessert I just ordered a black tea, while everyone else had sticky date pudding or this gigantic chocolate diabetic heart attack dessert.  Cookies, brownie, ice-cream, maltezers, choc ganache...  Yes, it looked amazing, but I'm glad I didn't eat it! 

And I then went on to impress everyone that I was still fit enough to muck about with all their kids.  They were doing back bends (where you start on your back, knees bent, arms up with palms next to your head, and then you push up so your belly is up in the air) and I was the only one there who could do it.  Great feeling :)

Way to go Dan - sticking to your plan and having it pay off later so you could play with the kids!

Today I went out for Italian with my family, I had chicken cooked in olive oil and lemon with capers, it was very good.  I have been forgoing bread for a while now so that is easy for me to pass up on.

I have a few more days with visitors....I look forward to having my house to myself soon!

Tomorrows plan:

Breakfast: eggs, spinach, mushrooms, avocado

Lunch: salad with chicken and olive oil

Dinner: ground meat patty, sweet potato, vegetable

Hey everyone!

I haven't checked in yet but at the end of four successful days, I'm feeling proud and the headache phase has passed so I can't complain (although the food dreams have already begun :( )

I made five meals today with plenty of leftovers for the week.

Today's meals:

B: two hard boiled eggs (that was it, I was rushed and busy, no veggies/fat so I was starving by lunch)

L: shepherds pie and 1/2 avocado

D: BBQ beef with homemade BBQ sauce, coleslaw and sweet potato "fries" dipped in homemade ranch.

Tomorrows meals:

B: 2 meat and spinach muffins with cholula sauce and 1/2 avocado

L: paleo beef stew with bell peppers and homemade ranch

D: fiesta pork chops with sautéed kale, onions, and sweet potatoes.

(I use recipes from well fed and well fed 2 very frequently)

This is our second whole 30 and my husband and I agree that it us much easier the second time around.

Anyway, Just want to say to everyone, "great job!" :)

Sounds like everyone is doing great!

I have managed to stay away from non-compliant foods.

Arg, today I earned a free coffee at starbucks, and I sooooo want to get a latte...it's good until Feb, so I guess I'll save it and get one to celebrate in 25 more days.

I found this yummy recipe that I plan to make tomorrow:

Sweet Potato Taco Fries:

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/taco-fries/

and this one is an old standby:

Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato:

http://www.thisblogisforwomen.com/1207/bacon-wrapped-sweet-potato/

I've noticed I've had to pee a lot more lately, and that's a sign that I'm shedding the bloat!

And also one that I'll have to be careful if I don't want to get leg cramps. So, I'm upping the calcuim, magnesium and vitamin D to help avoid that.

Anyone else get charley horses when on a low carb diet?

Hi All,

Glad things are going well.  Last night I felt like I was starving!  I must not have eaten enough for dinner, but I ate some carrots with homemade ranch and I was ok.  Today the headache was gone but I started getting shaky which usually what happens when I haven't eaten in 3-4 hours.  I thought my blood sugar should be under better control now, but maybe it will take a little longer.  My body is so used to having snacks, especially in afternoon, so that seems to be my hardest times.  I ate some cashews, almonds, and olives and my stomach really started hurting about an hour later.  I think I have a sensitivity to some kinds or all nuts that I am still trying to figure out...  hopefully my journal will help pin point that.

Punchbuggy , that's interesting about peeing more. I definitely do and also feel like I'm more thirsty.

I've also noticed my hands and feet are even more freezing than usual but I'm not sure if that's related.

Today:

B:  egg, sausage, spinach, onion casserole

L:  salad and last of spaghetti

Snack: nuts and olives

Dinner:  curry chicken salad on lettuce wraps and sweet potatoes

I was planning on making beef jerky tomorrow.  Does anyone have a good recipe for it?  I've only made it once before but it had honey in the marinade.

I haven't started the "dreams" yet but we'll see what day 5 has in store!

Nice work everyone!!!

Amy - I have not made beef jerky - hope it turns out well.  I am sure that if you use enough salt it would be good, maybe some coconut aminos?

Punch - peeing a lot is a great sign!  I know everytime I start cutting carbs I pee as well.  I do not get the leg cramps but I will keep watch for that.  I do take the natural calm the magnesium supplement - that might help?

I was on day 7 today and really wanted to have black eyed peas for New Years.  That turned into having a little dessert too...I consciously made the choice so I was proud of that.  I am going to start over tomorrow.  Some would say I could add a day to the end of my Whole30, but I want to be legit so I will start the whole dang thing again :)

Keep up the good work everyone :)

Amy

Archived