Whole30/Paleo Cookbooks

Jinkse21

I am doing a second W30 in January and received several cookbooks for Christmas (okay, I ordered them and gave them to me from my husband!  :P ) so I could have more creative options when cooking, especially since that's all I'll be doing!  ;)  

Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat (Kindle version)

Well Fed 2: More Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat

Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans

The 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook: Over 100 Recipes for Any Program Level

The 21-Day Sugar Detox: Bust Sugar & Carb Cravings Naturally

Make-Ahead Paleo: Healthy Gluten-, Grain- & Dairy-Free Recipes Ready When & Where You Are

Does anyone else have any of these cookbooks and, if so, what are your favorite Whole30-approved recipes??  I plan on cooking at least one recipe out of each book each week so any tried and true suggestions would be welcomed!

I own Well Fed.  Here are my favorites:
- Moroccan Meatballs.  Can also skip the sauce and make burgers instead, using beef instead of lamb.
- Shepherd's Pie

- Chocolate Chili 

- Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata (especially yummy for leftovers, and a hit to bring to someone's house)

I also liked the Velvety Butternut Squash, although my husband felt the Ras el Hanout spices were a bit over the top.

I make the Olive Oil Mayo at least twice a month - goes on all my baked sweet potatoes, in my salmon or chicken salad, and as a base for salad dressings. I'm never without it in the fridge.

I have Well Fed and Nom Nom Nom Paleo but the only recipe I have tried is Chocolate Chili.  I received a Herbs and Spice book for Christmas that I think will help with my experimenting. It's a beautiful book.

http://www.amazon.com/Herbs-Spices-Reference-Jill-Norman/dp/0789489392/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388087773&sr=1-1&keywords=herbs+and+spices

The Well Fed books are my favorites, out of all my paleo cookbooks. Melissa Joulwan's sense of creativity and taste combining makes them my go-to source. I'm starting my first Whole 30 this Wednesday, Jan 1, and have my menus planned almost primarily out of Well Fed and Well Fed 2. I just got WF2 last week, so haven't made alot of the recipes. My favorites from WF1 are: Moroccan Meatballs, Chocolate Chili, and Country Captain Chicken. Read her recipe also for how to properly make spaghetti squash so that it comes out crisp and noodle-like, not mushy. 

I own Well Fed.  Here are my favorites:

- Moroccan Meatballs.  Can also skip the sauce and make burgers instead, using beef instead of lamb.

- Shepherd's Pie

- Chocolate Chili 

- Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata (especially yummy for leftovers, and a hit to bring to someone's house)

I also liked the Velvety Butternut Squash, although my husband felt the Ras el Hanout spices were a bit over the top.

I make the Olive Oil Mayo at least twice a month - goes on all my baked sweet potatoes, in my salmon or chicken salad, and as a base for salad dressings. I'm never without it in the fridge.

These are all of my favorites too!  ESPECIALLY the Italian Sausage & Eggplant Strata.  It's basically lasagna, and it's super amazingly delicious.  I have to stop myself from eating the entire pan.  It's even great cold, and I have been known to eat hunks of it for breakfast when I'm running late.

I've also made the Morrocan Chicken and Apricot bangers from Well Fed 2, and I love them.  LOVE them.  There are something like 15 different types of meatballs/burgers/bangers that you can make.  I've tried those, and the Japanese Gyoza (also really good).  I found that to be a very convenient breakfast along with a bowl of the zucchini soup.

Out of Nom Nom Paleo, I've tried several things but the HUGE winner is Fiona's Green Chicken.  I made that for dinner tonight and even my kiddos were huge fans.  Her recipe for bone broth is also really good -- I finished simmering my pot this afternoon and enjoyed a nice hot cup before dinner.  Sometimes bone broths just don't taste good enough on their own to drink a cup like a lot of people suggest (to heal the gut); hers is like soup in and of itself.

I don't have the 21 day sugar detox books, but I do have Practical Paleo (same author), and the recipes in there are really good as well.  There's a balsamic braised beef short rib recipe that's super easy (throw the beef and some balsamic vinegar, plus a couple of other ingredients into a slow cooker, et viola, dinner) and really good.

I don't have the 21 day sugar detox books, but I do have Practical Paleo (same author), and the recipes in there are really good as well. There's a balsamic braised beef short rib recipe that's super easy (throw the beef and some balsamic vinegar, plus a couple of other ingredients into a slow cooker, et viola, dinner) and really good.

I'm cooking her pork loin recipe from Practical Paleo as I write this--one of my favorites!

From Nom NomPaleo my absolute favourite recipe is Bo Kho, I Mage a huge batch of it and freeze it in portions, it's so rick that it encourages you to eat green veggies on the side just to lighten it a bit, and you feel like you are having a really decadent meal! I often make it with pork tenderloin instead of beef which I actually prefer.

The Omg it's paleo book it brilliant too, although many of her recipes have to be tweaked to be whole 30 compliant. The pumpkin cashew cocnut curry is probably my favourite recipe - it's available online too, but the book is great so worth getting.

Well fed chocolate chilli is another favourite - that seems to be popular!

I'm excited as I have the new Nom Nom Paleo cookbook being delivered today from amazon - I'm in the uk and it was only released today, I'm looking forward to getting some new recipes from this :D

Another that loves the Well Fed chocolate chili! It's so good! I've been tempted to order Well Fed 2, but haven't yet. I also have Everyday Paleo but haven't made a single thing out of it yet, so I can't speak to how good it is. I should get on that! 

I have Nom Nom Paleo and I've loved everything I've cooked so far!  The thai omelet is a wonderful change-up from plain eggs, the meatballs were outstanding and moist, the gizzard confit was delicious (and cheap too! I strained and saved the cooking fat for reuse), slow cooker chicken & gravy was easy and bomb, and egg foo young is awesome for make-ahead breakfast at my house.

I also own everyday paleo. It was my first paleo cookbook and I love it! The sweet Italian sausage soup is seriously amazing and I have made it too many times to count. Plus my kiddos love it! Double bonus:) I also really like the Mexican slow cooker stew, chicken piccata, salmon cakes with ginger mayo, shrimp loves coconut, everyday meatloaf, and chicken with mushroom basil cream sauce. Another one of my favorite cookbooks is primal cravings, but not all recipes are whole30 approved.

EVERYTHING in Well Fed is delicious!!! Absolutely, positively, ridiculously freaking delicious!!! My favorite is the Paleo Pad Thai with Sunshine Sauce. It's like crack for whole30ers! And the Chocolate Chili is yummy. And the Bora Bora meatballs! and! and, and.....seriously. Everything is yummy!!!! I'm anxiously awaiting my copy of Well Fed 2, which I also bought for myself for Christmas!

EVERYTHING in Well Fed is delicious!!! Absolutely, positively, ridiculously freaking delicious!!! My favorite is the Paleo Pad Thai with Sunshine Sauce. It's like crack for whole30ers! And the Chocolate Chili is yummy. And the Bora Bora meatballs! and! and, and.....seriously. Everything is yummy!!!! I'm anxiously awaiting my copy of Well Fed 2, which I also bought for myself for Christmas!

I could not agree more about the Pad Thai.  I ate it three times in the last two days.  Dinner, breakfast, and lunch.  It's FANTASTIC.

I own Make Ahead Paleo but was disappointed since most of the recipes contain sweeteners. But the ideas behind the recipes are cool. I use Everyday Paleo a lot. I like Better Butter Chicken, Puerto Rican Beef, and Rockin Moroccan Chicken. Also the website contains tons of other great recipes.

I have Well Fed, Well Fed 2 and Nom Nom Paleo.  I have to put my vote in for Chocolate Chili. From Well Fed 2 I recommend the ginger dressing and the Kick Ass Ketchup.  I am brining my chicken as we speak (Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat Well Fed).  All of the recipes sound yummy.  I plan on cooking my way through them on this journey!

Bon Appetit!

Kat

I found a (brand new) farmer's market just two hours from my house!  The hubs and I piled the kids in the car at 6am to drive down to Lafayette to go -- it was cold as all hell, but I braved the elements to get some berkshire pork, gorgeous multicolored beets, kale, and mustard greens.  We then found an adorable little health food store nearby, where I bought pastured eggs and some grassfed ground beef.  I was like a kid in a candy store.  (We then took the kiddos to the science museum -- fun times for the fam!)

I made the Belly Dance Beet Salad (with my gorgeous multicolored beets) and Oven Fried Salmon Cakes from WF2 today for dinner.  I served the salmon cakes with a little of the Awesome Sauce (also WF2), over steam-sauteed beet greens.  Just awesome.

Well Fed has only one non-compliant recipe, Well Fed 2 is all compliant, isn't it?

But Nom Nom Paleo - i wasn't sure.  was leafing through it this morning and found a walnut prawn recipe and went "OOOOH!" but then saw that honey was listed, and i was like "huh...that's not compliant"  :(

Archived