Starting tomorrow 12/27/13

hatane

As the title stated, I'm starting a Whole30 challenge for the first time ever tomorrow and I'm really excited (yet also nervous??). I've never been remotely close to overweight, but I have pretty unhealthy eating habits and cravings that I would like to kick to the curb now before I leave for college and have unlimited access to bad foods. I just returned from a weeklong vacation where I indulged ridiculously. Yes, it was a vacation, but there was no reason to get multiple plates of the same dessert, multiple meals, sugary beverages, or even eat the Oreos in the minibar when there was actual food in abundance. For a little under a year now I've been on a quest to eradicate my tendency towards overeating (it's an on-and-off struggle). I've been pretty much using calorie counting and following an extremely loose paleo diet, but like many, fell into the trap of "healthy" pancakes and cupcakes that just led to me eating the real thing, hating my weakness, and the ugly cycle. I haven't done a whole lot of preparation, but luckily I've never been too picky about flavors. My lunch for the past five months or so has pretty consistently been grilled chicken breast with steamed broccoli and perhaps a sweet potato, so I feel confident with that. The sugar demon (and the cheese demon, oh my) will have to be overcome, but I believe that the Whole30 is the right way to break my attachment to these foods. I gravitate towards extremities. A small square of dark chocolate leads to me eating the whole bar, which leads to me ordering two milkshakes that are 1000 kcal each (this actually happened today - I physically felt awful, and still do. Never doing that again). Cutting added sugar out completely will hopefully lessen my binge-y tendencies.

My usual breakfast is some oatmeal with peanut butter and a coffee with cream, but tomorrow I'm switching that out for eggs with sweet potato, sweet peppers, onions, and green tea. I'm a dancer, so I'm planning on utilizing a lot of bananas, sweet potatoes, squashes, and perhaps emergency compliant Larabars for a carb boost in a pinch. I've never craved nuts, so I think it's fair to say that I can eat them without fear of binging. I think I'll buy some almond butter and canned coconut milk once I have time to go to the store, as well as strawberries and as many vegetables as I can find!

I'm hoping to dump this vacation weight too (because I definitely ate at enough surplus to gain at least a pound or two, which shows on my frame), but also to change lifestyle patterns and create a sustainable fuel source for me to enjoy living. I'm a high school student in fairly rigorous courses, and I need that energy to push me through the school day, through club activities, and through ~10-20 hours of dance a week. Please, to anyone who is reading, hold me accountable and don't let me fall back into my old ways. It's time for a change now. I don't want to be controlled by boredom eating, sugary desserts, or empty plate syndrome anymore.

Congratulations if you've read this excessively long rant. XD Any encouragement, advice, and/or comments are welcome! Thanks for reading. c:

Hey hatane!

I was going to start next week 1/6 but I have let the holiday junk food rule me so I'm starting early with you tomorrow.

I'll still keep up with the January 6 group, but want to jump start a few things. 1) no to sugar. I had done beautifully up until a week ago. Then wham. Not so much. And I, much like you (and actually like many) start with one bite and then eat the whole thing.

This is my second whole 30 so I'm familiar a little but still have so much to learn (obviously). One thing I will share is that being prepared is key to survival.

Looking forward to learning more!

Today is day 1 for me. Been doing Whole30 off and on since March. The last few weeks I have not been in control of what I am eating. :mellow: So today I start again. I will log my food over in the log section. I'll post the name of the thread later.

Here's to healthy eating!!

Today, December 27, is my Day 1 also.  I had attempted my first W30 back in February and got sidetracked by a death in the family (not unexpected, but still...). 

So I am ready to start again.  I can use the encouragement also.  And I figured why wait another 5 days to start on 1/1/2014.  I might as well start now.  I'll post a little more about myself later on today, but I am off to the grocery store right now.  

Good luck to all of us!

You definitely have a full schedule   - but it's amazing you are on top of what you need to do to start - I think you will do great!!  I am starting after NYday - but I have to stay pretty close because I found some things I have been going to doctor for a couple years for - are actually food sensitivities.  No more dairy - for reasons - trying not to eat wheat - but tried the sprouted grain wheat and the gluten free - and still not sure which effects me - so looking to a start date to do the elimination part strict again with accountability.  I also am trying to not eat sugar - because of it's effects in my body - some of these effects totally help me not want it after I have eaten some but I want to do it for self-control reasons and healthy reason.  I didn't bake anything during Christmas  - except one pan of an old Christmas recipe and some party mix - so I had things to give away - which I downsized huge this year.  Sorta all been weird - but I don't think I really missed it.  I have gained a liking for sweet potatoes and squash also!!  It was easier when we still had stuff in our garden.  Wishing you success to reach your goals!!!

Day 1 went ok. I ate fruit and some nuts but did ok otherwise. I need to focus on the meal template and no snacking. I'm so looking forward to feeling better. Right now I'm bloated and stiff and tired and sluggish and have horrible digestion issues. I'd like to lose a little weight but I'm not as focused on that as in the past. :)

I hope everyone's first day went well. Happy eating!!

My day went pretty well.  I had eggs for breakfast, and I made a hamburger curry with veggies and an apple for lunch.  Then I slept the rest of the afternoon!  I can't believe I was so tired.  For dinner I made a salad with Andouille sausage (Niman Ranch, no sugar. Yummy) and a fried egg.  

I probably didn't eat enough veggies today, but I didn't eat any grains, dairy, sugar or soy today.  So I'm happy!  Day one down, I'm ready for day 2. 

Anyone have an easy to make meal they want to share?

Day one over here too. So glad to be "back". I had a little meltdown -you know the type. Craving non compliant treats. Happy to say, it passed, but my mind gave my body a good challenge!

As far as easy meals -what are you looking for? There are a number of Paleo websites that you can access via google. Most meals are compliant or can be altered to compliance.

Round one I learned that I had to spend more time in the kitchen than I like. But I also learned that being prepared was a huge part of the key to success. Some of my fellow challengers did a lot of crock pot cooking. Not my thing but they seemed to like its simplicity for preparing meals.

Couple off the top easy ones. Make a crust less quiche. Cook some favorite veggies, olives if you desire, spinach, leeks, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, you name it. Then toss into eggs. Bake until set. I usually made enough to get me through 4 days of breakfasts with 3-4 eggs each serving. Another easy one is the salmon burger recipe in ISWF. Easy and excellent.

Veggies -cook some spaghetti squash. Toss with sundried tomatoes puréed. Cauliflower leek purée is another one. My personal favorite: cauliflower sweet potato mash.

Hope that gets your creative juices going! Happy day 2!

Hi All.

Day 2 has been a success so far. I cooked up a bunch of sweet potatoes, compliant polish sausage, and chicken thighs. I found that if I have cooked food in the fridge I do better. Tonight I'll make extra grilled veggies and the quiche sounds good. Thanks Greek to me! I even have some leeks.

I started logging. Join me if you want. Look for Ashley Round 4.

Here's to taking care of ourselves!

Is today really only day three?  I feel like I have been cooking forever!!  But, the good part is I have the following in my fridge to eat: 

Leftover veggie frittata, three breakfast or lunch servings

Leftover ground beef and veggie curry

Grilled chicken (bought precooked, but it will be good for salads

poached dill salmon - same thing, bought at the store

Meatloaf from somewhere recommended by Whole 9, site.  Don't know how it is yet, we are having it for supper. 

I'm trying to cook ahead as much as possible.  I find that it is way too easy to eat the wrong foods if I don't have the right foods close at hand, ready to eat.  I'm also trying to find meals that are different from what I usually make so that I don't get bored.

I have a husband and teenage son who need to eat also, so I am trying to find compliant meals that they will also like.  If they want or need to add other foods they can, but the main meal is W30 approved. 

I'm already feeling less achey in my joints.  It's a lot easier to get up from sitting on the couch.  It's so amazing that just eliminating certain foods can make me feel so much better!

How is everyone else doing?

Louise2658 - I was just thinking how happy I am to have all this cooked food in the refrigerator. I know if I fall behind cooking then it's no good, :( I will just grab something if I'm hungry so it works to have a lot of somethings in my fridge that are complaint!

My husband eats what I cook - my teenage dd is another thing altogether. She's away at college so I really only have to feed her for a few weeks. What recipes are working in your house?

Day 3 and my stiffness is mostly gone, too! Yay! My allergies are almost gone. But I'm tired. I think it's detoxing and I am not sleeping well. I'm going to try natural calm tonight.

Happy eating. Day 4 watch out!!

Happy day four! I ran up against a bad case of the carb flu and so glad that is behind me. Still a bit lethargic but that ten hour headache on day two-three was not pretty. I am considering it a postive step to releasing toxins and readjusting to healthy food. I am going to do a Large portion of protien and veggies along with a small portion of fruits and nuts - on purpose. I really enjoy them and they make me feel like i am having healthy food. The hard part with the exception of cravings has been keeping my butt off the scale first thing in the mornings. I am one of those daily early morning compultive 'weigh in' people...even if i'm gaining or staying flat or losing I just do it every day. I have decided that its part of my psychological food and weight issues and something its time to let go of. But darn it, I know I'm eating well and likely to lose weight and i sure would feel motivated if i could see my progress. The thing is that i should not measure my progress from what the scale says but rely on gaining health and knowing how i feel YES! Thanks for letting me share. Sending you all healing thoughts - Here's to your health-Cheers with my 32 oz water cup y'all!

CACH - I used to be compulsive weigh-er but Whole 30 has cured me of that.  Not weighing was the hardest ting for me the 1st W30. It took some time.  It helps if you can hide the scale.

I didn't sleep well last night - but feel somewhat rested.  I dreamt that I ate a biscuit and was irritated I had to start counting all over. Thankfully it was a dream!!  :D

Happy Day 5 and Happy New year!!

Archived