Ideas for packable snacks

Alana in Canada

Hi,

I don't know why I can't think of any beyond cashews and raisins, and jerky (and I am not a fan of jerky), but I am drawing a blank. (I can get into trouble with the cashews and raisins, too.)

At work I can only eat on my break in the lunchroom--I have 15 minutes. Currently, I eat canned peaches or a yogurt along with a home made muffin--obviously, that has to change during the whole30.

I'm sure there's lots of things I can eat--just need a nudge. Thanks.

Is that 15 minutes intended to be a lunch break? or is this just a snack time and all the other meals happen outside of work?

If all three meals are already covered, I would encourage you to go without. It takes a while to learn to eat enough at meal times, but once you do, you really will not need snacks and it is very liberating to get to a place where you just don't need or want to nibble on stuff throughout the day.

If we are really talking about a very quick meal here (actually, even if this is just a snack and you aren't ready to go without yet): think about this food as fitting in with the meal template. A meal will have a palm or two of protein, 2-3 cups of veggies and a thumb or two of fat. A snack, ideally, would have a similar ratio but smaller portion. For my most portable meals (meal #1 for me), I enjoy raw bell pepper strips, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, cold roasted sweet potatoes, cold steamed broccoli or green beans, hard boiled eggs, clean lunch meat (roast turkey or roast beef--check labels to be sure there is no carrageenan or sugar), thin sliced roasted london broil, cold cooked chicken breast, meatballs, etc. etc. A little container of homeade mayo or guacamole would be nice for fat and dipping.

Carrot sticks, celery, or cucumbers with homemade guacamole are a good snack. I like to make my guac spicy by stirring in salsa. 

Compliant deli meat with a little mustard, mayo, and sliced onion, rolled into a lettuce leaf. 

Steer clear of the fruit and nuts! Its like eating a candy bar! A snickers = larabar as far as your hormones are concerned!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, ladies! I just wanted to let you know how it's working out, so far. I am packing wonderful lunchesof "leftovers." I microwave them on a plat at work. (The other day, I had squash, cauliflower rice and a roasted chicken thigh). I like to take a big salad with some protein in it--leftover chicken, a boiled egg or, in a pinch, a can of tuna (which I open when I get there.)

It is Day 11 for me and things are just starting to even out so that I don't feel like I HAVE to have a snack, but if I do, then I do.

My hours are quite erratic. So, for example, I'll go in for a shift from 10am to 5pm, but my first break at 12 is also "time for lunch" so I'll wolf my salad during my 15 minute break.

I am also finding that it takes less than I thought to satisfy that hunger when it does come up. For example, on that same day, I'd had breakfast at 7am, and then worked out. I found between 9 and 10--while I was on my way to work, I was feeling my stomach calling out for something. A few cashews was all it took. (And I mean a few. About three). I was shocked and happily surprised.

I am quite overweight, so my hormones are completely whacked out. I think they are beginning to normalize.

Archived