Any pregnant ladies starting a whole30 in Jan or Feb?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 18 weeks and will also be starting a whole30 in January. I'm a little nervous because I have become very dependent on dairy and natural sweeteners (honey, maple syrup) to keep my calories where they need to be. If I start loosing weight I will have to stop I guess but I'm gonna give it a try.

My family and I were already planning on starting Jan 1 when I found out baby #6 was on the way the other day :)  I'd love some support!  We tried a few months ago and lasted one week.  I really can't do what I usually do when I'm pregnant (gain 50 lbs while binging on junk)… I only JUST avoided the 200 lb mark last time (went into labor at 199).

36 weeks and about to start Jan 1.  I've been trying to eliminate a lot this last month to make that first week a little easier!  I was hoping to have a paleo pregnancy but alas the first trimester kicked my ass and it's (clearly) taken me a while to get back on board!!

Well, the reasons you all mentioned are the exact reasons I was hoping to find some fellow pregnant ladies giving this a shot. Because pregnancy has a slew of emotional and food turmoil, (among other turmoil) and wouldn't it be great to be support for each other.

So here I am to tell you what you already know but hopefully hearing somebody else say it will encourage you even a smidge. bonus if it encourages you more than that.

@lbosmer, so sorry to hear day one was so bad. And you're even past 2st trimester... what are your goals moving forward? are you going to try to really do a whole30 all the way? its kinda a rough program since its all or nothing, in a sense. which is why I'm considering a modified version, personally. Of course I wont get the full benefits in all of their glory, I know, I know. But I might hold on to my sanity and hope to not fall into traps of giving myself too much lee-way. geesh.

@Ordinarily, Wow, you're brave to do this during 1st trimester. Let us know what you find that works, and what even sounds good to you...I can relate on the binging. i did ok my first pregnancy but this time around I already gained 10 in my first trimester. maybe this means its a boy this time? (which we'd love!) but I keep beating myself up over how many cookies and crackers and bread Ive eaten after really getting them out of my life this past summer.

@Kelzie, 36 weeks? you're so close to holding that little one! Great work backing off of bad stuff this past month. Kudos especially for doing that during the holidays. And for even getting back on board.

@MrsK, Rock on with your bad self. you appear to be a pro. :)

Well, we pushed our start date back to Jan 6 so we can wait until our Christmas visitors are gone.  

@lbosmer SO sorry!  By 18 weeks you would have the hope that you would be done with MS (though with my last pregnancy it lasted all the way through) Hope it gets better.

@conniedraws.  Not brave, just not sick yet and still feeling excited about whole30.  I had wanted to do a full 30 BEFORE I got pregnant again, but it didn't work out that way :)  I found out just days ago (and I always take the test as soon as humanly possible… makes for some really LONG pregnancies.  Maybe it's a boy!  I don't remember if my pregnancies with boys or girls were different at all.  I think they were all the same (only my MS lasted the whole 9 months with my last one, it wasn't bad if I took my unisom and b6 though).

I'm almost 16 weeks pregnant with my third, and I've realized that I've gone a little overboard between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I think I've put on 15 pounds at this point.  :)  I don't know how much of that is water weight and how much of it is legit baby poundage, but I'd like to slow down the gain so that I don't bust 200 lbs.  With both of my last two, I gained 40 pounds on the nose (and hit 204 and 196 respectively).  If I can keep it sub 195 for this munchkin, I'll count that as a win.

That's my long way of saying that I'm starting my Whole30 tomorrow.  :)  I've been mostly complaint the past two days just to ease into it.  I'll (hopefully) hit the ground running.

I'd like to start now!

This forum was reccomended by my Crossfit coach.  I'm 10 weeks pregnant.  I've released 60+ pounds and maintained over the past 2 years.  I see old/bad eating patterns creeping back into my life.  I read the book over the summer and applied some of the eating habits.  I'd like to follow the guidlines closer and have this forum for accountability.

I'm starting today with my husband (thank goodness! I don't know how I could do it without his being on board).  He is suffering from adrenal fatigue, and I just hit my 31 week mark, so we both have good reasons for doing it now.

Like @kelzie said: "I was hoping to have a paleo pregnancy but alas the first trimester kicked my ass and it's (clearly) taken me a while to get back on board!!"

I really let myself off the hook foodwise in first trimester, and I didn't make myself get back on track in the 2nd.  I figure 3rd trimester is a great time to do a whole30. I don't have any food aversions anymore, and eating cleanly might keep my heartburn at bay, too!  Plus, since this is a huge brain development time, what better way to fuel me and baby?  If all goes well, I might even do a whole60 or more!  It certainly can't hurt how delivery and breastfeeding go.

Not pregnant but I am nursing an 11 month old and starting a Whole 30 tomorrow. Last few bites of dark chocolate tonight, maybe even some wine, before I buckle down.

Good luck pregnant ladies! I am hoping to post here regularly to keep myself focused and motivated. I've had a lot of nutritional off-roading the last three months so I am expecting some uncomfortable low carb flu in the first week.

I'm 21 weeks pregnant with my first and starting Whole30 for the first time tomorrow - January 2nd. I need accountability the most in the area of meal prep and recipies. I've never been good at cooking meals, so planning will be the most important part for me. 

I will be 28 weeks tomorrow and I am also breast feeding my 16 month old son. As a family, of 5, we started our Whole30 journey on Saturday Dec 28th, but on Monday the 30th I had to have my 1 hour glucose test so my 30 days restarted I am so happy to find other expecting mothers on this journey!

I've been gluten free since summer of 2012, I traveled to Germany during my first trimester and I let my eating habits go bad, I then returned home and we moved from Louisiana to Alabama within a month. Needless to say I needed a restart and my husband suffers from constant fatigue so we jumped on board!

I am so glad I found you ladies. I am 36 weeks pregnant, expecting my 6th baby. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I really need to do this for myself. I tried it once, lasted about two weeks and gave up...I hope I can finish it this time. I am starting tomorrow. Good Luck!!

I'm at week 15 with baby number six and would like to start on the 6th. I got pregnant halfway through my first Whole30. I successfully completed the Whole30 but once the first trimester sickness kicked in - forget about it. But I'd love to get back on track and avoid any high blood sugar issues. 

@conniedraws Here are my plans: We are traveling this weekend so I am not going to actually start until the 6th. Hopefully my initial start date breakfast mishap was a fluke because I have felt fine since then. I am going to try as hard as possible to adhere to the true Whole30 guidelines. The nausea for me has subsided but not completely. Sometimes I still get turned off by meat and eggs and greens. So if one day I cannot eat any meat I will have to get some protein from somewhere else and my main go to has been plain greek yogurt (I like the 2% Fage Total)  or organic peanut butter. On those days, if they happen, I just have to take what I can get so to speak. I'm not going to be bummed out if I have to do a slightly modified version adding in some dairy if need be. My main goal is to cut out sugar in all forms. I have become a little too dependent on my honey and maple syrup lately  :ph34r:. For almost this entire pregnancy I have been paleo with some dairy and rice here and there and of course with the exception of the first trimester "any food I look at makes me wanna puke" woes. I will not under any circumstances consume anything with gluten in it. I'm not a celiac (I've never been tested so I might actually be) but when I do eat gluten I have problems (if you know what I mean) for days afterwards. So, those are my plans. I am glad this thread has been started so we can keep up with each others progress. The way I look at it, even if you are not doing a super strict W30 you are still eating extremely healthy...healthier than most pregnant women and that, I think, is the most important thing. Good luck to all of you! I will post an update after I start!

I started today, although not so strict because my sugar was low so I had to drink some juice. My plan is to be as strict as possible but I have to accept that sometimes I won't be able to. This is hard for me because I am an all or nothing type of person and that is the reason I gave up the last time.

Right now for me it is important to eat healthy, relearn new habits all together and hopefully by planning I will be 100% whole30 compliant all the time.

I'm 29 weeks and started my first Whole30 yesterday.  Been off and on paleo for a few years but really fell off with the first two trimesters.  Like someone else said, I ate what I could in the 1st and then didn't really get back on track in the 2nd.  Add the holidays to that and I'm feeling pretty gross and in need of getting back on track before my little one shows up.

Does anyone have thoughts about the right about of fruit/starchy vegetables?  I ate three good meals yesterday full of protein, fat and veggies and some snacks but woke up this morning starving.  I don't want to overload on foods that defeat the purpose of Whole30 but I also don't want to end up going too low carb since I know my body needs a certain amount of (good) carbs for pregnancy.  Any thoughts?

My game plan this time is pretty simple.  I officially start Sunday (after relatives leave and I can get to the store).  I'm prob going to get most of my protein from eggs and chicken (just to keep costs down) and not make the kids participate 100%.  Hopefully that will keep the stress level and cost down.  I just found out I'm pregnant so I hope I can get a week or two of Whole30 in before the morning sickness knocks me off my feet.  I'm praying that clean eating and magnesium oil will keep it at bay.  I've also read that legumes are good for keeping MS under control (something about them binding to the excess bile in your stomach) so I'm not opposed to adding them back in early (I usually hate legumes anyway so I know they aren't my problem… but I can choke down a bowl of hummus to keep from being sick).  Anyone else heard of this?

http://www.karenhurd.com/pages/healthtopics/specifichealthconcerns/ht-shc-morningsickness.html

@e23 If I remember correctly I think that being hungry is normal and means your hormones are resetting.  No fun while pregnant but not necessarily a sign you are doing anything wrong (I was always starving when I woke up no matter what I ate though).  Maybe some more protein/fat before bed?  An egg with avocado?  When I started (but didn't finish) my first Whole30 I was hungry for a week straight.  24 hour non-stop hunger, even when I was eating a big steak with a side of broccoli and clarified butter.  It was a strange pseudo hunger.  My stomach would be stuffed but I wasn't satisfied by my old standby comfort foods so my brain told my body I was still hungry.  Awful feeling… and it probably had something to do with why we quit after 8 days.

Anyone else interested in a FB group?  It might be a little easier to keep track of things than one very long thread.  If no one wants to I, no worries :)  I'll just delete it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/610947512305054/

Happily,

Have you tried making your own bone broth?  There's a great recipe in Nom Nom Paleo's new book (and her ipad app).  I've been drinking a couple of cups a day from what I made, and it's really soothing for my stomach.  If you find the nausea getting bad, maybe that will be something that will help?

I also sometimes will infuse some grated ginger in sparkling water (2 tsp of grated ginger to 12 oz of water), which I find helps immensely between the bubbles and the ginger.  A splash of juice (OJ or pom, but YMMV) takes the edge off, but I like it plain myself.  :)

I'd like to join, if that's ok? I'm currently 35wks with my first, & DH & I are doing the whole30 as our yearly "we've over indulged too much during the holidays".

I started on the 1st, & am not finding it too hard at the moment. I had been pretty paleo all of last year - excluding the first tri where all I wanted was carbs (bread,pasta etc) & since thanksgiving. Time together eating properly again before my little "Spud" arrives

Archived