Any pregnant ladies starting a whole30 in Jan or Feb?

@Marmelg - can't help you with the coffee, as I like coffee with cream and sugar, so I just give it up during the Whole30. As for breakfast, I sometimes make a breakfast pudding. Heat 2 cups coconut milk, 1 15 oz can of pumpkin, and one banana for a few minutes. Add 1 egg, a dash of salt, and some cinnamon and pour into an 8X8 greased pan. top with 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil mixed with about 6 tablespoons of almond meal. bake at 350 for 45 - 60 minutes. Can top with chopped nuts and/or shredded coconut. Maybe some would argue that a "pudding" is SWYPO but I judge those things by how much I crave the item. This pudding serves as a nice change for breakfast but I don't find myself craving it or getting overly excited and thinking too much about when I can have some more - so it seems safe to me. 

Another option is the "monkey salad" with cashews, sliced bananas, and shredded coconut. Pair that with some veggies in the morning? 

I do think breakfast is the hardest meal to figure out. 

SWYPO or not neither of these options really meets the food template of a palm sized portion of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables, and a serving of fat. Remember that for the purpose of W30 nuts count towards your fat servings not your protein servings. A palm sized serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand.

I am having a hard time with breakfast, I eat eggs but I am kind of tired of them and I don't like any meats so early. In addition, I need coffee in the morning but I can't drink it black and I tried it with coconut milk, but it still does not taste good. Any suggestions?

When you say you don't like any meats so early does that include things like breakfast sausage? I have a hard time with the same types of proteins I would eat at M2 and 3 in the morning but I found the seasoning and the delivery make a big difference. I never really get tired of eggs but I've found pork to be a decent substitute. This is your time to experiment with different things and see what works for you.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"SWYPO or not neither of these options really meets the food template of a palm sized portion of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables, and a serving of fat. Remember that for the purpose of W30 nuts count towards your fat servings not your protein servings. A palm sized serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand."

Where does the template come from? I thought the whole point was to not count/obsess as long as you are eating a good mix of foods and none of the bad stuff (grain, daily, legumes, etc.).

"SWYPO or not neither of these options really meets the food template of a palm sized portion of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables, and a serving of fat. Remember that for the purpose of W30 nuts count towards your fat servings not your protein servings. A palm sized serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand."

Where does the template come from? I thought the whole point was to not count/obsess as long as you are eating a good mix of foods and none of the bad stuff (grain, daily, legumes, etc.).

The meal template isn't about counting or obsessing. It's a good way to get a good balance of food for every individual. I like that it makes things very simple. Pick a protein, fill the rest of your plate with veggies, and add some fat. It was designed to help people get the most out of their Whole30.

This is the meal planning template in case you have not seen it: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Basing protein servings on the size of ones hands allows for the difference in  needs between smaller and larger individuals. 

@Physibeth  -- I see what you mean about the portions and so forth. On the other hand, if a pregnant woman can't tolerate meat in the morning or just needs a break from eggs every morning, it seems like the pudding or monkey salad or something else might be a good compromise. I couldn't think of any other protein sources if she doesn't want meat or eggs. I have a similar problem in that I can't eat meat on Fridays for religious reasons but I don't want eggs for all three meals and I can't afford seafood for too many meals either (nor can pregnant women have too much fish). So I still use the pudding sometimes and hope for the best! 

@Physibeth  -- I see what you mean about the portions and so forth. On the other hand, if a pregnant woman can't tolerate meat in the morning or just needs a break from eggs every morning, it seems like the pudding or monkey salad or something else might be a good compromise. I couldn't think of any other protein sources if she doesn't want meat or eggs. I have a similar problem in that I can't eat meat on Fridays for religious reasons but I don't want eggs for all three meals and I can't afford seafood for too many meals either (nor can pregnant women have too much fish). So I still use the pudding sometimes and hope for the best! 

I think it's just a guideline anyway.  You can't fit 3 eggs in the palm of your hand (at least I can't without dropping one!) but a three-egg omelet is used as an example of a "good meal" in ISWF.  And in pregnancy I'm letting non-sugar cravings guide  Obviously a craving for Oreos isn't a a signal I'm low on Oreos, but craving for meat or fat probably is worth paying attention to - and I adjust accordingly.

@marmelg and regarding the food template: In the morning there is no way I can follow the food template. Just not gonna happen. Heck there are even entire days where i can't follow it because my food aversions are so strong. I AM getting protein and veggies but they may not be at one sitting. Maybe some meat here, veggies there. The thought of meats grosses me out (mainly in the morning) so I really am just eating what I think sounds good to me while still staying compliant. I tend to have a small snack, lately its been an apple and cashew butter, then later that morning when meat sounds more appetizing I eat it then. I agree that eggs can get so so old. I know that I may get in trouble for saying this but if a breakfast "pudding" sounds good and you will have no problems keeping it down then go for it.

As far as eggs go, have you tries making little mini egg "muffins" with veggies. I like to make a batch of these early in the week so i have them to grab when protein sounds appetizing. It also helps that they are pre cooked. 

@marmelg and regarding the food template: In the morning there is no way I can follow the food template. Just not gonna happen. Heck there are even entire days where i can't follow it because my food aversions are so strong. I AM getting protein and veggies but they may not be at one sitting. Maybe some meat here, veggies there. The thought of meats grosses me out (mainly in the morning) so I really am just eating what I think sounds good to me while still staying compliant. I tend to have a small snack, lately its been an apple and cashew butter, then later that morning when meat sounds more appetizing I eat it then. I agree that eggs can get so so old. I know that I may get in trouble for saying this but if a breakfast "pudding" sounds good and you will have no problems keeping it down then go for it.

As far as eggs go, have you tries making little mini egg "muffins" with veggies. I like to make a batch of these early in the week so i have them to grab when protein sounds appetizing. It also helps that they are pre cooked. 

I apologize...I wasn't thinking so much about the food aversions. Yes this about doing the best you can. I will still say to be cautious with a lot of fruit. As for religious issues, like the doctor those trump Whole30 so again do the best you can. I personally still took the very small piece of pita for communion during my Whole30. 

@Physibeth - I know what you mean about the Communion wafer - I have had the same thoughts but I know that God can trump any gluten issues, lol! 

BTW, and totally not related, I love the name Bethany and we're considering it if the baby is a girl - have you been happy with the name?

@Physibeth - I know what you mean about the Communion wafer - I have had the same thoughts but I know that God can trump any gluten issues, lol! 

BTW, and totally not related, I love the name Bethany and we're considering it if the baby is a girl - have you been happy with the name?

Yes I love it! The only time it ever bothered me was around Easter when the Sunday school reading I always ended up with included reading my own name and other kids giggling. ;) I'm pretty fierce about not letting people call me Beth too and it isn't terribly common which I like. I do let children under 3 (and my grandmother and a few choice friends) call me Bethy though. ;)

I like Bethy! I like that Bethany is a classical name but without being overly used. I never thought about the Easter reading, lol!

The story goes that my mother wanted to do Elizabeth but didn't want people to call me Liz or Lizzy. Bethany is a derivative of Elizabeth according to the baby books I've seen and that is how she got there. Bethany means house of God or dwelling place of God and I love that as well. 

So I have a question... Today was the second time I've woken up around 3am and been fairly awake. Stayed awake long enough to get a little hungry but definitely not ready to eat an entire meal or really, even get out of bed. Today I finally got up around 5am and had a banana and half of an apple and crawled back into bed a little after 6am. (Had to take my hubby to work so as soon as I could get back into bed, I did) Slept today until a little after 10am and finally got out of bed (since getting pregnant it takes me a LONG time to actually get out of bed, that, and it's cold) and finally ate around 11:30am. I know snacking isn't allowed but the thought of eating a mini-meal during this time grosses me out. I know that the sleepless nights are only going to get worse and I want to know how "bad" is it to have a banana or apple or some veggies when I have plans to go back to sleep, due to sleepless nights. 

Fruit possibly is not your best bet to eat in the middle of the night as it will cause a blood sugar spike. However I have read that if you wake around 3 am frequently it could be an indicator that you are not getting enough carbohydrates to keep your glycogen stores up and 3 am is the time of the night your body will work on replenishing them and that wakes you up. You could try increasing your starchy vegetables during the day and see if that helps. 

I know that I've personally gotten up and eaten a piece of compliant bacon if I feel hungry enough to keep me from going back to sleep but I don't think that is really compliant either. A better option maybe is to have some hard boiled eggs in the fridge and eating one of those with a few carrot sticks. 

Truthfully, I wake up about 3-5 times a night to pee, this baby is not happy with the amount of liquids I consume. Seems that 3am is my time to be awake but I usually can fall back asleep within an hour, sometimes it's later in the morning and other times it's earlier. I will add more starchy vegetables to my meals and hope that it helps. I will also change up my "snack".  Tomorrow is payday so we can stock back up on veggies! 

PS Thank you! 

Hello All!

I started on Jan. 1st and today found out that I'm pregnant with baby #2! I'm so happy to be starting this pregnancy off right with a great diet and all of the support from you ladies. 

I'm also a student of Traditional Chinese Medicine, and from that standpoint, I wholeheartedly recommend Bone Broth for everyone, pregnant or breastfeeding. It is so nutritious for you and baby. And plain ginger tea is great for nausea, but don't over do it. Ginger is a very "warming" herb.

And if that isn't doing the trick, try to find an experienced Acupuncturist in your area. IF you're strapped for cash and have a Traditional Chinese Medicine school nearby, find out if they have a student clinic. They can help with nausea, low energy, aches and pains, and sleep issues, just to name a few. 

WishGarden is a brand of tinctures that I used when pregnant and breast feeding last time, but since it's extracted with alcohol and glycerin, I wouldn't say that it's Whole30 compliant. However, if you're miserable with morning sickness, it's worth a shot. I LOVED them.

Best of luck and congratulations!

-Christy

Hi! I started January 13 and just found out I'm pregnant as well! Coincidentally, I just made a huge batch of bone broth last week from my leftover whole chicken carcass! I'll definitely be freezing the rest in case any morning sickness sets in.

I'm curious on the herbs...what to avoid, ect. I just discovered Bengal Tiger spice tea by Celestial Seasons and love it! Is it ok to continue drinking....I probably don't even have a cup a day...one every few days. Just would love to know what herbs to avoid, especially early on. Thanks!

I would love to join this group, and the facebook group, but could you make the group Secret instead of closed? I have not announced that I'm pregnant yet, and do not want it to show up in my newsfeed for friends to see, that i'm posting in the group.

I'm almost 6 weeks pregnant (tomorrow). I started the Whole30 Challenge with my husband on Jan 6th, without knowledge of being pregnant.  I found out on January 15th, that I was pregnant. I have decided to stay with the Whole30 challenge throughout the pregnancy.

I have a 5 year old son (adopted), and a 2 year old (my first pregnancy).

Before getting pregnant I had lost 65 pounds from eating right and working out.

The first pregnancy was a suprise. And it took me a while to wrap my head around it.  Then my sister died in a car accident when I was 6 months pregnant and I adopted her son (who was 2 at the time).

I was in survival mode, and just trying to take care of everyone-and refused to 'worry about what i was eating'.  This resulted in returning to the weight I was before I had lost weight initially.

Now i'm hoping that life has setlled down, and I have a concern that I'm already heavier than I was when I got pregnant the first time-I dont want to gain tons of weight.

Also I have noticed that my 2 year old is a carb kid. He loves bread and fruit..Meat-not so much..and i wonder if its a direct result of the choices I made during pregnancy...

So i'm going to stick on the program, and if ther group is made 'secret' I will join on facebook :)

Happy to find other mammas here for support!!!  Today is Day 16!! Yahoo.

I started my second Whole30 experience yesterday at 27 weeks, 2 days.  Finally feeling up to eating this way...fist and second tri were a killer and I ate whatever I wanted.  I've been Paleo for a year, year and a half...on and off.  Meals are planned and a majority of them are prepped for the week.  Hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to the support from this thread!

I'm just over 12 weeks pregnant and have decided to attempt paleo/whole 30 eating for the duration of my pregnancy. I've been a vegetarian (who occasionally eats fish) for almost 10 years and I'm considering reintroducing poultry. I've been reading a lot about it to get the courage to make the change and I think I'm nearly ready.

I officially started my whole 30 4 days ago and I'm sure I will have lots of lapses but my ultimate goal is not to complete 30 days but to eat the best I possibly can from now until forever--but more immediately, from now until my little one is born.

I typically eat a "healthy" SAD with whole grains, low fat dairy, and the like but that ship has sailed and I'm invested in taking the next step. My baby's health depends on it.

• 1 month later...

Archived