Whole 365...thoughts? Experiences?

gingembre1

I did my first whole 30 in September, and felt fantastic, but completely fell off the wagon and am worse than ever now. I have a lot of bad eating habits and compulsions, and I don't think 30 days was sufficient for me to move past them, I'd really like to do a whole year, but am I reaching for the stars? Has anyone ever done it? If not, how do you recommend keeping all the great benefits of Whole 30 without completely falling back into bad habits?

I didn't take on a Whole365, but I did complete a Whole30 in June, and I've followed Whole30 eating about 90% of the time since then.

What's worked for me:

- I've kept gluten (been off it since 2006), other grains, dairy, legumes and soy out of my house.
- I allow myself, on average, 1-2 glasses of wine a week. 
- I continue to follow the Whole30 meal template.
- I make a paleo banana bread about once a month: really the only paleo "treat" I can think of. Have stayed away from processed foods.
- I have only quality chocolate once in a while. Taza chocolate is my chocolate of choice: no dairy, gluten or soy .  My sister-in-law made homemade chocolate peppermint patties at Christmas: I had 2.

- When out to eat or over someone's house, I remain 100% gluten-free, but may let other food groups in on a limited basis, depending on what they're serving or if it's truly special.

- I don't freak about sugar in a sauce or dressing while out to eat. 

I'm somewhat similar to Chris. I made a decision NOT to go whole365 for several reasons, but mainly it's this: I wanted to make these choices my own choices. Sure, I could walk around for a year saying "I can't have that because Dallas and Melissa Hartwig said I can't" but then what happens when the year is up?

It's been an evolving thing, but I think the best part of my whole30 experience was not the first 30 days, but the process afterwards of learning how to nourish and respect my body with the choices that I make, and to own those choices personally. It's been more than a year since my first whole30 now, but the whole30 still informs my eating every single meal because I have learned what makes me feel good and perform better, and I've learned what off-plan foods are "worth it", and "not worth it" to me. 

If you feel strongly that you still need the structure of the whole30 after your first 30 days are complete (or a whole30 modified with specific things) go ahead and do that for a while, but just make sure when you are ready to abandon someone elses structure, you are prepared to make your own choices in a way that honors your health.

I did a W30 in April and have been 95% compliant as the others have said. Except this last week when it has been bad for me-went out of town to get a puppy and have been off routine since. BUT all the junk is out of the house and I am back in the saddle today. I have found that being 90-95% compliant is very doable for the long term and you have all the benefits. Being 100% compliant for 365 may be very tough. What about W30 every other month then alternate with 90 %?

I am sure it can be done.

Are there particular trigger foods that cause you to go nuts? Maybe you could just nix those but still allow yourself the freedom to eat at restaurants without worrying about every trace ingredient on your plate. That's the reason I've never done more than 1 W30 - I go out to eat once or twice a month and I want those meals to be relatively stress-free. I still get a mostly paleo meal, but don't worry about sauces too much and I do get white potatoes on occasion. For me, following the W30 at home 100% of the time is totally doable. I haven't actually done that yet...I've been probably 95% compliant. But my plan for 2014 is no meals at home that are not W30 compliant. Sugar is my main trigger food, so it's being voted off the island. In theory. :huh:

Archived