Awesome 2014!

1Maryann

Good Morning and Happy New Year!

Here are my goals for the next 30 days:

1.  Food:  W30 all the way for 30 days.  During my last reintro period I found out that dairy is out, legumes are out, non-gluten grains are acceptable (in that there was no physical response...still unsure that I "need" them).  Not reintroducing soy or peanuts.  Unplanned gluten reintro over the holidays yielded no real info as they were drowned in sugar and I felt poorly in general.  After 30 days, I will ease up on the added sugar rule as I really don't want a lifetime of wondering what is in my mustard.  I also like bacon that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...just an arm (uncured organic bacon is my new fave..but has a teensy amount of sugar).  I will also do a controlled reintro of gluten grains just to have that checked off.  For 30 days I can do anything.

2.  Exercise.  I will begin with a walking program...outdoors if possible.  I figured out (non tech person that I am) how to download a book on my iphone and will listen/read as I walk.  Music won't keep me engaged.  Hoping to find a really special book that I will only allow myself to listen to while walking.  Maybe I will track miles.   We'll see how that goes.  Day 1 is today.  Eep!

3.  Sleep.  In a bad pattern of going to bed too early and getting up too early.  I 'd like to change this so that I am a more active participant in family life.  Goal:  Bed at 9:00...set alarm for 5:00.  Lately, I've been asleep on the couch by 7:30-8:00 and up for the day at 3:00.  Great for me, not so much for the rest of the family who claim to like me and want to see me--somehow 3:00a.m. doesn't work for them.

I think that is enough for now.  I do have some other life goals I am working on, but there is time/space for that outside these first 30 days.  Committing to exercise is a biggie for me..don't wish to overwhelm.

Question:  I find great success in keeping a food journal.  Do I do that here within this space, or continue in my other thread?  

Off to start the day!

rhonda

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhonda, you will love ISWF.  If you've been able to do a W30 without knowing the stuff in this book, you will be on fire after you read this.  Just knowing the way we have been manipulated by people who care nothing for our health and just wish to profit off us was all the motivation I needed to start this program.  It is truly eye-opening and life changing.

As for the food journal, I would say to keep your own log separately just for ease of reference.  If you are having issues and need someone to review your choices, it is much easier to do when the info is all in one place instead of spread out over 20 pages interspersed with all kinds of other posts from the rest of us.  We can be a really chatty bunch once we get going.  Although, sharing of new and delicious recipes is always encouraged! 

Melanie here- and I'd love to join your group! This is my 4th whole30 and I'm so excited to be back. It's been officially one year since I started this way of life and it has really helped to do a whole30 every few months to keep on track and cement the habits. One year ago I couldn't imagine life without gluten & dairy and now it's really become a way of life. One year ago I was feeling lethargic and bloated all time. I was feeling depressed and like I couldn't keep up with being a mom Sugar on the other hand is still hard to keep away from in non-whole30 months. I'm wondering about a whole60 and wonder if those of you who've done it can comment on how it went for you in comparison to a whole30. Love reading everyone's posts! Happy new Year!

Here we go! Late yesterday I cam home form working close to 12 hours-supposed to be 10 and proceeded to eat the crap in the house I didn't need to start this new year. It is gone and I am glad.

So-do I understand clearly(dense, I know) that the veterans of W30 can allow A,B,C but the first timers will be super compliant? As long as we communicate W30 issues and not talk about that we had bacon flavored wine dipped in cream? 

You guys are right, there is no athletic benefit to 2-3 glasses of wine at all.  So out it goes.......I was about to make up a few reasons why I need a treat etc but that alone is why I should restrict a bit. Plenty of good things to eat and drink.

Breakfast in the bag. Stay focused......

Welcome and Happy New Year, Melanie!

Some of us did a W100 last year.  For me it made all the difference.  I had done several W30s before, but my mindset was like it was on every other 'diet' I had tried over the years.  It was something to be endured.  I just needed to tough it out for the 30 days and then I could have that pizza.  Over the several I did, I started changing my habits slowly but permanently.  But I had trouble riding my own bike when it was over.  I feel I really needed that 3+ months to firmly cement the new habits in place.  So contrary to what they teach here, where a W100 or more is discouraged, I found it tremendously beneficial in forcing my brain to reach for the new solutions instead of the old solutions when faced with a time crunch or unexpected bump in the road.  In the old days, pressed for time I would just hit the McD's drive-thru.  Now that isn't an option and I automatically think of alternatives.

Guys, I forgot to add one more to my resolution list:  Every week, try one new healthy food item.  I started already and wanted to share.  Since I hadn't planned to start until tomorrow, but felt the need not to wait, I didn't have a lot prepped for breakfast.  I dragged out 4 eggs, and threw a sweet potato in the micro, but I really wanted a green and hadn't done a cook-up yet.  Since I was coming up hard against that magic "eat within 60 minutes of waking", I tried my something new.  COLLARD WRAPS ROCK!!!

I have always been intimidated by collards.  While I have discovered I love all the other leafy greens I've tried, collards scared me.  I was sure they would taste as dark and tough and leathery as they look.  But I had picked up a bunch at Whole Foods the other day, determined to find a recipe for them.

I hate lettuce wraps.  I cannot eat one gracefully.  If there's more than a TBS of filling, they squirt all over, and half the time when I fold them, they crack at the bottom and it starts falling out before I can eat it.  To me, they are not worth the time.  But I had read on somebody's website how she uses collard for wraps because they stand up well and even her kids can handle them without a disaster.  So I figured what the heck?  If it was that awful, I would just take the scrambled eggs out and eat them with the sweet potato alone.  No biggie.

They were delicious.  They weren't tough like I had imagined, they were satisfyingly crunchy.  And the flavor was mild, not bitter the way I anticipated them being.  Note to self:  Add collards to the rotation.  This opens up some more lunch options for me, as I can't do anything messy because I eat between customers and don't get a break.  Lettuce wraps were too messy and time consuming.  Now I can eat "hand food" again for lunch!  Happy New Year to me!

Thanks Maryann- your respond really resonates with me because thats kind of how I've approached my W30s- something to be endured until the end when I can have sugar again. With each W30 I've done, the changes have been more and more long lasting but something in my brain just seems to switch at the end of the W30 and it's like I can't handle the freedom of my non W30 times. As the weeks progress, I get further and further off the wagon. I think being part of this group will really help give me the support I need to stick with this way of eating as a true life change. Thanks! Ps. I'm planning on trying the collard greens- I've never tried it and it will be nice to have a new snack/meal idea!

I am in a bit of a bind here because we do have new people on this thread. like Maryanne said there is a group of us who did 100 days straight strict compliance last January. this group of women changed my life and became great (far away!) friends. a whole30 does NOT allow for ANY changes, it is strict. and it should be. so the fact that I am posting in a whole30 thread is, in many ways, just not right. but because I've known these women for the past year and walked this journey with them I'm asking their permission to use them as part of my conscience. they were that for me last year, helping me stay accountable and on tract. helping me complete an intention I made, a commitment I made - to myself and to them. I have had problems riding my own bike and my success, in the past, has been related to the support I've gotten from these women. on this thread we've talked in depth about our emotional relationship to food and our growth through the process. and that's what I need from this thread.

I hope that helps!

Hi everyone and Happy 2014!  This year is going to be.... awesome!

I recognize many names from 2013 100 Days of Awesome and its so great to read of everyone's new healthy lifestyles.

Shelly, I am so sorry to read about Dan's passing.  I hope you find strength in your family and friends.

Husband and I are just starting our whole30/60/90.... LOL, we don't know when we'll stop.  Last year we did the 100 days and that was good but I think I had enough by day 80... we shall see what this wholeprogram brings... at least 30 days of course but most likely 60.  

During the first whole100 I lost about 18-20 lbs which was good.  I didn't go wildly uncompliant afterwards too much, just added in dark chocolate and occassional food out so continued to lose another 15 lbs.  But, the holiday season was my wild time (husbands too) and we gained back 10 lbs so now we want it GONE!

I have lots of 2014 goals:

~whole30 (at least 30, hopefully more)

~find time to ride my horses MUCH more

~start our new business up and running while still going 100 mph with our existing business

~clean my house!  ugh, it soooo needs it

~refinance the house

~develop a new glaze line

~ride my horses more.  that goal is worth repeating over and over.

Thanks for starting a new Awesome log Maryann!  And I'm excited about buying collard greens and making tuna rolls... thanks for the tip!

Tracy

Maryann - I am SO GOING TO TRY the collard greens wrap! that sounds fantastic, I have the same problem with the lettuce. and it's too stiff. it always cracks. there are so many times I want to have some tuna, etc, and don't want to make it into a salad

Mattierose - welcome back! what kind of glaze are you making?

Linda - I'm right where you are. bloated, sick, frustrated.

Amy - I am jealous of you. you are amazing riding your own bike.

welcome all new people!!!

Good Morning all!

Happy New Year and happy day 3 for me.

Wow, what a rich morning I've been having reading all of your posts! I want to try to remember to respond to everyone so here goes...

Before I forget, BACON...I go to a European grocery that has an amazing deli here in Chicago. They sell slab bacon that is fully compliant for $4.99 to $6.99 a pound. It is delicious! There's also several butcher and meat shops that sell slab bacon, all cured without sugar. I highly recommend checking for establishments like this near you.

Welcome to all the new people! Happy to have you here.

In regards to compliance, I agree with Jess. This is a program that on the outset says NO CHEATING! I am not the food police but my personal experience showed that full adherence to this program made all the difference in my personal results.

I keep a daily journal in a notebook that I write in every morning. Here is what I list:

Day

Hours slept and what type of sleep. Solid? Fitful.

Bowel movements - how many the day before and what type.

Water - how much?

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

(Detailed list of food consumed)

Beverages consumed

Mood (how did I feel, act etc. what is my body doing.

This sounds like a lot but it keeps me accountable.

So on a personal note, day 1 I had a vicious headache. I drank MOST of my water but not all. Felt like poop on a stick all day.

Day 2 - I didn't bother posting because I was in such a vile mood I was sure that would spill out somewhere. Ugh. A horrible, horrible day. I should have stayed in bed. BUT I was fully compliant. Phew!! Oh, I drank tons of water too.

Day 3 - that's today for me. So far I walked the dog extra long in the snow which is at about 7 inched+ and still coming down. We're expecting another 6-8 inches today.

I shoveled the driveways and walkways and threw the ball for Tessa who LOVES the snow.

I'm hoping I'm over the worst part of my detox. Fingers crossed.

Rhonda, before I forget, I'm doing a Whole60 because my body really needs the first 30 days to get used to everything. My first few Whole30's were about plowing through so I could start eating paleo treats ASAP. Now, the first 30 gets my body back on track and the 2nd 30 really moves me towards a healthier, happier me.

PS. No weighing is part of being compliant. This was so hard for me but I don't weigh that much anymore. It really is about how I feel and how my clothes fit.

Ok, Enough out of me. Looking forward to being on this journey with all of you!

"May the odds be ever in our favor"

Linda

Hi!  I'm Nan.  I'm a retired financial analyst, now a full-time-and-then-some wife/mother/granny, care-giver, housekeeper, chef, personal shopper, travel planner, organizer, handy(wo)man, pet groomer, bill payer, family financial planner, hug giver, nag, queen bee and goddess of all things domestic.  I take care of a lot of folks, human, canine and feline.  Taking care of Nan, unfortunately, is usually at the bottom of my massive to-do list.  

Last January was a major exception:  I completed a Whole30, and I did it for me.  After the initial 30, I am happy to say that a lot of things improved permanently.  Some things -- most notably sugar, alcohol, and diet pop -- crept back in.  And a couple of mid-year attempts to repeat the Whole30 just fell through after 10 or 12 days.   :(

So, I am now declaring my intention to start another genuine all-in Whole30 beginning January 6 when the last of my holiday house guests hit the road.  

After the initial 30, I will allow myself three accommodations that I have determined do me no real harm:  1. a sprinkle of cheese here and there as a seasoning,  2. the occasional white potato,  and 3. a dinner date out with my hubby once a month or so.  I will continue in that vein until March 16, when hubby and I go to Hawaii.  After that we'll see.

I am also going to exercise regularly, which was not something I gave much thought to during my first W30.  I already had enough to think about!  Now, however, I need to make it part of the whole package.

Here's to 2014.  It's going to be a great year!  I am grateful for your support and pledge you mine.   :wub:

I am in for a W100. I did almost that last spring then relaxed a bit with chewing gum-that will be an issue almost as bad as any other I have as it is a crutch for stress. Either I chew gum or clench my teeth. Trading one habit for another. So the gum goes. And I will trade wine for seltzer. Those are my two vices and although they seem small in the big picture of "cheating", they are habits I need to break. I certainly, over this past 8 months, have been 90% compliant. This last week, not so much. Back to what I know is helping me feel better.

Any suggestions on a healthy "habit" to replace gum chewing? Clenching my teeth is causing me big bucks with crowns etc. I am in healthcare so "relax and release the stress" is not an option:)

Hi All!

I'm still out of town and I fly home today but I decided that this is Day 1. It may be a challenge to fly home but I can make it through. I never did like the jet blue free snacks!

For those of you who are new -- welcome. Last year we started the whole 100 on January 1st with about 30 people and the core group here are who were left "standing" after 100 days. It wasn't easy but it was so rewarding at the end and we all learned a lot about food and about each other.

Jess-- you were my biggest inspiration during that time. Most people on that blog had completed at least one Whole 30 but you jumped in ( and I thought very blindly) but you came out the other end shining. So for Jess and Cayenne -- no judgment here I promise-- but I'm curious to know what is stopping you from being wholly compliant for 30 days. I just don't see what it js in your posts.

I am going to Paris on January 24 with 2 of Dans daughters. A major trip for me in many ways. So I Am committed til the 25th and then I will join you again on February 3 for my next whole 30.

Cayenne-- I chew parsley.

Linda-- did you move back in with your boyfriend ( I have forgotten his name-- I'm sorry).

MaryAnn-- i always love your perspective (politics aside). Truthfully my house is my refuge -- I enjoy being alone even though i do miss having Dan to talk to. I just don't get there much-- reasons could be as you suggested. I have been letting my friends take care of me which includes eating out. I also have been spending a lot of Sunday with my parents and Dans parents and so I do not have my "cook up" day. Also I have been just too mentally exhausted to cook. So, it's something to figure out. How to prepare easy food -- particularly since I need to pack a lunch.

It was easier last year because I was home every night and every weekend and I could always make time to cook. So I need to determine what I need to take care of me as I approach this new stage in my life.

Cayenne-- I chew parsley.

Linda-- did you move back in with your boyfriend ( I have forgotten his name-- I'm sorry).

MaryAnn-- i always love your perspective (politics aside). Truthfully my house is my refuge -- I enjoy being alone even though i do miss having Dan to talk to. I just don't get there much-- reasons could be as you suggested. I have been letting my friends take care of me which includes eating out. I also have been spending a lot of Sunday with my parents and Dans parents and so I do not have my "cook up" day. Also I have been just too mentally exhausted to cook. So, it's something to figure out. How to prepare easy food -- particularly since I need to pack a lunch.

It was easier last year because I was home every night and every weekend and I could always make time to cook. So I need to determine what I need to take care of me as I approach this new stage in my life.

Shelly - I'm in kind of a strange place right now. I feel like when I do a "strict whole__" I find myself counting down the days until it ends. in truth, the intentions I've set are, for the most part, whole30 compliant, but I feel like I have some serious issues I need to work on, and those are:

sugar - this one is huge. this commitment is one of the biggest for me (and is in line with whole30)

grains - I am back to eating rice and corn almost daily

veggies - I'm not eating what I need and the rice/corn is almost surely pushing them off my plate

I am tending to push the limits of what's allowed and "legal". I eat lara bars. I eat fruit. if it's allowed on whole30 and I can abuse it I will.

I eat grains. I'll eat it if it's "gluten-free" (pizza - I love you. sushi? sure!) and the reality is I am not up for cooking everything I eat right now, so I will be eating out or getting take out once a week. (that's another issue I want to work on...so rather than 5x a week it's once.) and I just don't feel like being as intense about asking questions as I am in my whole30. sticking with the boundaries I've set will allow me to do that without thinking "well...I'm eating out ANYWAYS...I might as well eat ___" 

it's a hard line for me and I have a couple more days to do some real thinking, but I am feeling that this is the right decision for me now. I know it seems strange that using cream in coffee or butter in cooking would be close to the only non-compliant decisions, but they are choices I intend to keep in my diet. so I want, in many ways, to do my best to mimick what I want to do long term, and I'm not able to do that on my own. I desperately need to do it with others and you have all been my support throughout this process. mentally there is something going on with me and the "whole__" situation and I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I know I need to get through it. so I feel like, rather than focus on doing a "strict whole30" I need to focus on being strict for what's triggering and hurting me personally...

does that make sense? or am I talking (and thinking) gibberish?! 'cause most of the time I feel like I am! :wacko:

Jess-- I think I get it -- no grains or sugar, no abusing Lara bars or fruit. Not worrying about the soy, oil or sugar in your takeout food ( I just went to WF-- it's amazing how many of their prepared foods are made with canola oil) but limiting the takeout to once a week. More veggies.

Is that it?

Jess, I think I know what you mean as I have been working with this plan for months and months. I am not using this as a means to an end as W-whatever tends to dictate. I want this to be a lifestyle for quite some time as it has been very doable for me with the one/two exceptions I have allowed myself these past several months. I have remained grain, sugar artificial and otherwise,dairy free, all legumes except for natural peanut butter as affording the almond butter is tough(just a tsp every couple days after a workout. I have completed aW90 completely compliant so I don't have anything to prove to myself. I understand the constraints of this plan and the reasons why.

I think the biggest thing we have to deal with is when we loose the choice of what we eat. If we are shoveling it in mindlessly-we are not choosing to eat well. You are choosing to have a bit of dairy etc and while that may be "off plan" it is your choice and I personally don't see why that would be troubling. I know, I know....W30 means just that, period. I think you have proven that you can do it, of course, but for your reasons you are choosing to be a bit more varied while still adhering to being dedicated to your rules. Is it truly black and white, for the folks here on this thread?

Hi Melanie, I always have a bit of a blip around days 21-26 so most often go for 45 days to really feel the benefits so for me 30 days is always too short. Doing the 100 with this group was fantastic for curing me of my sugar addiction. I have occasional lapses but sugar is no longer part of my daily diet except for fruit.

Happy New Year everyone. Well I had more champagne yesterday (New Years Day) then at 10pm decided to have corn chips of all things (what the ????) So today January 2nd is my official day 1 and I am going to support you all (and myself) by sticking to no cheats for at least 30 days. If I remind myself I am doing it to support the rest of the group, and it is only 30 days after all then I think I can avoid triggering my demons. Its worth a try anyway.

I'll join in if you don't mind another post-W30 person :)

I had big health success last year after my first W30 and this year want to concentrate more on weightloss, which is why I'm not doing a Whole30, but I am being very strict about adhering to my plan :) However my differences aren't far off the W30 and I'll keep them out of this thread :D (I've lost some weight already on W30 & paleo, but I think I need to change things up more to reverse my insulin resistance, I have a lot of weight to lose!)

I'm planning on being strict for 60 days, only not longer because I may need to tweak the plan a bit, but I want to give this one a full 60 days :D If it goes well, I'll be doing 90 days.

Had a cracking headache on Day 1, Day 2 has been better already :D

Wow, this thread is moving quickly!  I'm on Day Three, I think.  I'm the sort of person who forgets what day I'm on pretty early in the game.  Also, I just don't ever log my food.  But I'm happy to be here and happy to be part of this group.  It seems we have a first-timer or two, some folks aiming at a longer WholeSomething, and some folks who are doing a controlled program including some foods they re-introduced with few problems.  I'm doing a Whole60.  I'd say I'm aiming for compliance, but I tend to be fairly loose about numbers of meals and times of meals and snacks and so forth - I really don't do well with strict mealtimes and extra-specific amounts and absolutely no snacks. 

So far I'm really enjoying myself with this Whole60.  Feelin' good, and happily noticing that the swelling and itching I had from what I considered to be minor off-roading are gone.  Also, the really nice thing about the structure of the WholeX for me is that I don't every worry or stew or fuss about what to eat.  I just eat great food and love it.

In fact, if I could keep that one aspect of the Whole30 in my life forever, I'd be thrilled.  The thing is, as soon as I eat sugar, dairy, or gluten-containing grains I start to feel the effects, including depression and craving more of those foods.  When I get into that condition, I know, cognitively, that I need to go back to Whole30, but I don't feel well and I make poor decisions.

This extends to life decisions as well, though fortunately I've not made any that were completely irreversible.  :o:lol:

Whole30 has been a life-saver for me.  I know there are other versions of Paleo/Primal out there, and I may try a foray into the AIP at some point, but just the plain ole' Whole30 has been one of the better things I've done for myself in my 47 years of living.  :wub:

Sending lots of love and light to you all, and best wishes for success, and may you eat lots and lots of great food! 

Day 1 in the bag.  My store was closed today but I spent about 5 hours there anyway, doing end of year inventory, and taking down the Christmas decorations. I washed all the windows inside and out, too!

Then I ran some errands and came home to do some prep.  I made breakfast sausage, a batch of meat sauce to go with the zoodles I'll make tomorrow, roasted 2 trays each of carrots, brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes, and made a batch of mayo.  I bought ghee for the first time.  I have always made my own and I was curious to find out how mine tastes compared to a commercial brand.  Since I never tasted it until I started making it myself, I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like.  Isn't that funny?  If I don't like it, there's a brick of Kerrygold in the fridge.

I weighed myself this morning.  I was 8 lbs more than I was a couple of weeks ago.  I know I couldn't have really gained that much in such a short time.  I'm sure it's all the bloating and inflammation from the crap I've been consuming this last week, so hopefully it will be gone soon.  Here's hoping the detox isn't too bad.

Archived